PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Drugs

Louie and me
03-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Has anyone ever taken Crestor or know anyone who has?
My doctor wants me to take it as a precautionary measure. I have slightly elevated cholesterol, slightly elevated blood pressure and (don't shoot me) I'm a smoker. He believes that with those risk factors including my age it would be wise to lower my cholesterol even though my "good" cholesterol is very high. I hate taking drugs of any sort so would appreciate any feedback from other takers of Crestor.

mrspunkysmom
03-13-2011, 08:06 AM
I refuse to take any more meds. So I'm on an exercise regimen, building into it. however, I've noticed that walking is an excellent way to reduce bad cholesterol, raise good cholesterol, and lower blood pressure.

Eat a few more raw or fresh cooked veggies, not canned or frozen.

Drink plenty of water. This is from experience, too.

Marigold2
03-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Personally you can take or leave the drugs. The smoking will kill you. Does that sound harsh, I don't mean it too? I just want to be honest with you and maybe make you realize that the smoking will take 20 years off of your life. It you have 20 years to give that is ok. Personally I would much prefer die at 90 then 70.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 08:21 AM
If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I'm a firm believer of this.

I won't lecture on the smoking issue.

But if the cholesterol is only slightly elevated, I'd stay away from the cholesterol meds. Make changes in your diet, and take Omega 3 fish oil capsules. This is what my doctor advised me to do, and it brought my slightly elevated levels down.

moosmom
03-13-2011, 08:43 AM
I've tried a number of cholesterol drugs. After the 4th try with a different med, every one of them caused the same side effects. So, I stopped them.

I cannot take any statins whatsoever.

Freedom
03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
I tried for a year to lower my cholesterol with diet and exercise. I was at the Y at last 4 days per week, eating oatmeal, fruits and vegs. The numbers didn't budge.

I've been on Lipitor for over 10 years now, and my numbers are great!

I have a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease, so it was clear my issues are genetic and not to do w/ diet or lifestyle.

My doc will only order Lipitor. All the studies have been done w/ Lipitor. The other cholesterol lowering drugs don't have the same level of testing and studies behind them, nor the years of use. PLUS the company now has special cards, I only have a $12 copay for it! Crestor and the rest don't offer this either.

Louie and me
03-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all your imput (including the smoking lectures - I know, I know). Here's what caused me to think. My doctor is probably in his late 40s or early 50s. I noticed that he had trouble remembering words and then after he left to check for some samples for me came back into the room and had forgotten why he went out! He had told me earlier he was taking Crestor. When I was reading up on the drug after I got home I read feedback chat lines that mentioned memory loss as being a side effect! My husband has serious heart disease and is taking Lipitor. He doesn't seem to have a problem with side effects.
I walk a couple of miles every day, eat a balanced diet, take only Vitamin A and D and the odd Advil for arthritic pain, aced my bone density test and mammogram. I'm really reluctant to take Crestor.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all your imput (including the smoking lectures - I know, I know). Here's what caused me to think. My doctor is probably in his late 40s or early 50s. I noticed that he had trouble remembering words and then after he left to check for some samples for me came back into the room and had forgotten why he went out! He had told me earlier he was taking Crestor. When I was reading up on the drug after I got home I read feedback chat lines that mentioned memory loss as being a side effect!

Yikes - I certainly wouldn't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about going to your doctor!!! What you said is actually kind of scary.

Seriously - try the Omega 3 fish oil capsules for a month or so - one after each meal. They have "burpless" ones if the regular ones make you burp a fishy taste. Then have your cholesterol checked again. If you aren't that high to start with, then I'll bet it brings it down.

Good luck!

Freedom
03-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Do him a favor and tell him this.

Do yourself a favor and get a new doctor.

Randi
03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Years ago, my Cholesterol level were slightly to high, but I know why. I was working for a company who had a mile long lunch buffet and a really good chef. On top of that, customers sent us one box of chocolade after the other (Christmas was coming up).

Well, I didn't have to take any medicine, but I did start to walk more and eat more healthy. Now I take Omega-3 capsules or bottled fish-oil every day.

My doctor told me this: Avocados are good for you, but stay away from shrimps!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Yea, my doctor has been trying to shove cholesterol drugs at me for a couple of years now. My cholesterol is only right at the concern mark. I keep telling him forget it.

Olive oil is good to help reduce cholesterol. I like veggies stir fried in a bit of olive oil. And the Omega 3 is great too. I use Smart Balance instead of oleo and they also have a peanut butter that I use too. Both have Omega 3 added. And don't forget good old oatmeal!!! :love:

lizbud
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I never took Crestor, buy my DR prescribed Simvastatin for me to take
for high LDL numbers. I hate taking any pills and once you start taking
something, it seems you are never taken off it. No side effects that I can
tell so far.

jennielynn1970
03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I take Caduet, which is for blood pressure and high cholesterol. I've had some varying success with it. My blood pressure is great, although my doctor still wants my cholesterol to come down more. Hope that this happens without needing a higher dosage.

Wishing you luck.

PS>.. I take fish oil too, so that might help you as well.

Grace
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm a Type 2 Diabetic so I need all the help I can get to keep my cholesterol numbers in the correct range. Like Sandie I tried to do without, but it just didn't work enough to make my Endocrinologist happy. I'm on Lipitor. Come November the patent runs out for Pfizer, and generic Lipitor will become available - so the cost will decrease.

I also take Lisinopril for hypertension - although I have been able to lower the dose of that this past year.

K9karen
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
I take the lowest possible dose of Zocor and have not had any side effects. My cholesterol was 210 and the doc decided that was too high. After 6 months on Zorcor, it's 170. It's odd because I'm slim, short, watch what I eat, due to stomach ulcers. My parents were fine, but I think it ran in my mom's side of the family. My brother, who eats everything and anything has low cholesterol. Go figuer.

Catherinedana
03-14-2011, 10:51 AM
My cholesterol was through the roof and I started on meds about 3 years ago. Crestor and Lipotor gave me severe leg pain so I can't take them. I take Niaspan, Trilipix and Wel-Chol and my levels are perfect now. I've changed eating habits and have begun some exercise so I hope to reduce the number of meds I'm taking very soon.

If my cholesterol was only slightly elevated, I would have opted not to take the meds. I hate them.

My humble opinion? DON'T DO IT!! Change lifestyle instead.

Louie and me
03-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Getting a new doctor in my area is easier said than done. My husband would like to change his family doctor (same Dr as me) but we haven't been able to find a single family physician who is accepting new patients!
We have some Omega 3 capsules so maybe I'll give them a try before going on any drugs.
I've really appreciate your input everyone - thanks.

Laura's Babies
03-15-2011, 09:47 PM
I noticed that he had trouble remembering words and then after he left to check for some samples for me came back into the room and had forgotten why he went out! He had told me earlier he was taking Crestor.

and that is your brain on statin drugs..... that is how mine was on them..

Louie and me
03-16-2011, 11:15 AM
That's my fear Laura's Babies - I'm well on the wrong side of 65 and have enough problems remembering things as it is. Don't need any help to be forgetful!

Laura's Babies
03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I personally know a man who had a episode of TGA while on Lipitor that scared him to death. It lasted for about 6 hours. He called his wife at work and she knew immediately something was wrong with him and came home and took him to the ER. They did all kinds of tests on him and could find no reason for his amnesia.. His daughter had heard me talk about statin drug side effects and invited me to meet them in Atlanta for the week end and while I was there she casually asked me to tell him about my experience on Lipitor. He listen and I could see many light bulb moments as he listened to what had happened to me and then he confessed to me about his TGA and asked me if that could have been caused by statin drugs and I took him to Space Doc's web sight and let him read Space Doc's story of his TGA's he had on statins..

He wasn't convinced though and said he was going to continue to take it but if it happened again he would stop... Wasn't long after that, he stopped. That was when his daughter confessed to me that was why she invited me to meet them in Atlanta, to talk to him about what statins had done to me.. I didn't have no TGA episodes on them but I did loose time and often missed my exit on the interstate and had no memory of passing it.