PDA

View Full Version : Cat Meet-up groups

Randi
03-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Did you know that there are Meet-up groups all around the world? I'm a member of one called Denmark Catsitting Exchange. We meet every couple of months for dinner in town - sometimes at someone's house. The group I'm in are mostly foreigners who need and offer catsitting. It's great because you don't have to send your cat in a "hotel" and you know the person who looks after your cat loves it and knows about cats.

There are of course dog groups also.

You should check it out!

http://cats.meetup.com/

I found this list:

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
This sounds like it would be great.:) I live too far away from San Francisco though. I'll have to look at the website when I have more time. Thanks for posting this info.:)

Catty1
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Gosh, there are 30 waiting in Calgary! I wonder how this gets going...will read a little more on the site.

Randi
03-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Tracey, you could start a group yourself. :) Some have given their groups some funny names, like "Parents Of Psycho Pets. (http://www.meetup.com/Parents-Of-Psycho-Pets/)

slick
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
This is great Randi. I didn't think it was worldwide but I signed up and now going to a cat meetup on March 20th. :)

Randi
03-11-2011, 01:42 PM
That is cool, Slick! I hope it's a nice group and you'll have fun. Let me know! :)

I see there are 58 members in the group you joined - all in Vancouver. Who would have thought! :D

slick
03-23-2011, 01:18 AM
I hope this works for you. Had some much needed fun last Sunday for our meet up group. We met in a mall (caught something quick to eat in the food court) then we went to a local cat Sanctuary. Here is a link to the pictures. I will be uploading my pictures to this album as well, when I get the time.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Cat-Lovers-Club-Vancouver-BC-Canada/photos/1313732/

Randi
03-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Slick, I'm so glad you were able to go. I viewed the slide slow - the members seem very nice and you look great! Love that Cat Sanctuary, it must have been heaven to spend time there. :) Did anyone consider adopting one of the kitties?

I expect more pictures will be put on the site, will look forward to see the rest - and to hear more about your day there.

Did you tell them about PT? :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Slick, great pictures.:) It looks like you all had a great time too.:)

phesina
03-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I looked for meet-ups not too far from me. I found three groups about 30-40 miles away. Only one of them, in Detroit, has meetups scheduled, which their listing says are only available to members.

I also found this list of people interested in a group - "87 Cat Owners near Ann Arbor, MI are waiting for a Meetup about Cat. " .. in other words, waiting for someone else to organize one!

Maybe I'll look into this further when I have a little more time.. see if I can go to one of those meetings just to see what it's like.

Randi and Slick, what is involved when you sign up for this? Are there fees or dues or other expenses? Do you get a lot of e-mail from them or their sponsors?

Thanks!

Randi
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Phesina, anyone can start a Meet-Up group. Some charge a small fee for administration of their webpage and for sending e-mails and member lists to everyone, but I think each group do it differently. Not sure. I know that some groups are made private and in that case you have to join to be able to see the member list and what's going on.

In our group, a member suggets a restaurant, or their own house, for a meeting. We get together every few months, usually.

Someone must have started the group you are referring to - see if you can find out who started it and send an e-mail.

Good luck! :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
That sounds fantastic Randi!!
There is no group here in Belgium...........:(

Randi
03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Lut, there's this group, but it's probably too far away from you. You could start a cat group yourself. ;)

http://www.meetup.com/The-Nijmegen-Book-Club/events/15696514/

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Lut, there's this group, but it's probably too far away from you. You could start a cat group yourself. ;)

http://www.meetup.com/The-Nijmegen-Book-Club/events/15696514/

Oh yes, that is to far away, it is in the Netherlands:eek:

There isn't any interest for starting such a group here :(:(

Freedom
03-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Meet Up is a great place!

It is a way to "meet up" with other folks who share your hobbies or interests.

You put in your zip code, and what you are looking for
small dog
cat
Sunday brunch

and see what is near you. You can also just scan what groups are near your zip code!

There is no fee to join www.meetup.com
How each group is run depends on the group. Since the organizer pays to have the group posted ($40 annually, last I looked), some try to recoup that.

I am in a small dog play group, we don't pay to join. We DO pay for each play date we attend. In part, this covers the rental fee, as we use a doggiee day care.

You can usually see what fees are involved BEFORE you join.

You join the individual groups you want, and this means you get an email when a date is set -- like an email reminder. Most groups do ask you to RSVP if you plan to attend.

For the doggie play group, we have to respond as we have a maximum due to fire code.

For a Sunday brunch group, they call and make a reservation in advance, so again it is important to RSVP and not just show up.

LOVE meetup.com!

Randi
03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Lut, I searched for a cat group within 50 miles of Brussels and didn't check where it was. LOL!

Dagmar, who started our group also organized this one. She even wrote a book.

http://www.meetup.com/worktrotter/

I'll tell you how I came to know about Meet-Up groups... a few years ago I worked in a company where I met a Scottish girl. She told me that she was a member of Worktrotters and a British Ex-pat group here. Then, a while later I met a girl from N.Y. in my local supermarket, where I buy cat-litter and canned food. She worked there and had noticed me buying cat stuff, so we always had a chat about cats. She was already a member of Denmark Cat-sitting Exchange and said: Why don't you join! So I did. :)

Randi
03-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I just saw the pictures you uploaded, Vickie, there are some really cute kitties there. I couldn't help compare them to the ones I know from PT. One of them reminded me of Edwina and there's another grey sweetie - oh, they're all special. :love: Did you fall in love with the tabby you're holding? :D

And look at this one... swoon!! :love:

slick
03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
We were told that the kitties with the collars on are a bit on the nasty side. In other words, watch out - could nip or swat you. You wouldn't think that from the pictures would you? That tabby I was holding was one the most loving cats there - although the sanctuary has about 800-900 cats now. It's labelled as a sanctuary and the cats are there to live out their lives. There are a few adoptions but not many. Most of the cats were feral and now have come to appreciate the rays of the sunshine in a safe environment. I fell in love with all of them and I'm going to find some time to volunteer.

Sorry, more later as I'm at work.