PDA

View Full Version : Japan rocked with 8.9 earthquake.

RICHARD
03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Lordy, lordy!:eek:

Japan was just hit with an 8.9 earthquake that was followed by a 13 foot tsuami.

Prayers to them.:(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42023385/ns/world_news-asiapacific/?gt1=43001

Karen
03-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Japan and all the Pacific Rim nations, and our own Hawaii, which is now under tsunami warning, will be in our prayers. Stay safe as you can, everyone!

carole
03-11-2011, 04:02 AM
This is terrible to hear this news, after what we have been through ourselves here in NZ, our hearts and prayers go out to everyone in Japan,my sister's niece is in Japan, but luckily on one of the islands, but the Tsunami is a worry, also for here in NZ, but i think we should be ok.

The recovery down under is something that will take a long time,so we know what this effect will be on these poor people in Japan,we can only hope for the best outcome possible for everyone, this was even bigger than the one in Christchurch, and our damage was so bad,i can only imagine what it is going to be like in Japan.

ChrisH
03-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Dreadful. :( Prayers for all those it has affected and for those in danger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/_51632882_japan_earthqk_pacific_ring.gif

pomtzu
03-11-2011, 06:02 AM
The entire west coast of the U.S. is now under a tsunami warning, and Hawaii could be hit around 8 a.m. Eastern time. That only an hour from now.

Prayers for all.........

chocolatepuppy
03-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Many prayers to all affected.:(

sana
03-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Read it on my Yahoo Account's News Report. Sheesh, it was a real REAL hard one! :eek::eek: I just read it again on msn. Prayers and prayers for them and hopefully everything will go back to normal soon! :eek::eek: Prayers for all affected in Japan :love::(

Freedom
03-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Prayers for those in Japan, dealing w/ both a quake AND a tsunami. :eek: Also praying for others coping with the tsunami.

lvpets2002
03-11-2011, 08:17 AM
:( Yes this is all so sad & horrifing.. That was a HUGE Earthquake.. Prayers To All..

Catherinedana
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
:(

Taz_Zoee
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I guess our coast lines felt it a little bit here. I saw some footage in Santa Cruz where a couple boats came loose and were crashing into docks and other boats.

Many thoughts to every one involved. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
They say this is the 5th hardest earthquake in the world ever since they have been recording them. :(

Prayers on the way for all !!! :love::love::love:

One of their nuclear reactors is having problems. The have no power to cool it down and now pressure is building up inside it. The US has offered portable generators to help pump water to it to try and get it cooled down.

gini
03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
The videos are hideous to watch - so much damage so quickly.

Japan has my prayers. We must not forget New Zealand or Haiti or Chile - those countries have still not recovered.

slick
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I've heard that if it hits our northern West coast, the waves will only be about 2 ft which is nothing.

Have been praying all morning... :( Last I heard 1,000 dead... :(:(:(

phesina
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Prayers for all affected by this. Horrible.

pomtzu
03-11-2011, 01:27 PM
One of their nuclear reactors is having problems. The have no power to cool it down and now pressure is building up inside it. The US has offered portable generators to help pump water to it to try and get it cooled down.

Reports coming in are conflicting. One says the situation is under control, and then another says it's not, and saying there could be a leak. Just pray that it doesn't melt down.....

The videos showing on CNN all day are horrific! So much damage ~~~ so many lives lost already. And they don't even have any idea how many are trapped and buried in collapsed buildings, or how many have been washed out to sea.

Those poor people. They need all our prayers, and so much more.

Karen
03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
The latest report I have heard says it is still something they are struggling with, trying to cool the reactor down. That they have evacuated 3,000 people, even with the earthquake damage and tsunami damage, means they are taking this very seriously.

Our thought and prayers continue to go out to the people of Japan, as Carol knows, the aftershocks that continue can be just as bad, and psychologically even worse, and the unpredictable waves are just adding to their stress. We hope many people were able to evacuate to higher ground, and that many of the "missing" are someplace safe. Such a tragic day.

But if you hear about the USS Reagan, know we have one person on board at least - that's the ship my nephew is on, he's a nuclear engineer deep in the belly of the ship, but he's there. I heard on the news a couple hours ago that the Reagan, and the two ships accompanying it, should reach japan in 24 hours.

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2011, 04:41 PM
We have a small sales office in Japan, and heard from them today that they are all okay and not directly effected. Another friend, I met in Hawaii this winter is teaching in Japan and she is also okay, though nervous about the after schocks they have been dealing with all day. Thoughts and prayers for everyone there and around the world who have been effected by this.

cassiesmom
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Thoughts and prayers for everyone there and around the world who have been affected by this.

From here too.

I heard people saying at lunch that the two earthquakes were just over two weeks apart. And that one U.S. air craft carrier is already in Japan and at least one more is on its way.

carole
03-11-2011, 07:27 PM
we are ok here ,the waves were a bit higher and people were told not to go near the beach, but some never listen, idiots, we are out of danger at least for the tidal wave.

Thank you Gini and Karen, yes NZ is still trying to recover, so we know just how Japan is feeling right now, the devastation here was enormous, but it appears to be even worse for the people of Japan,our hearts go out to each and everyone affected by this,watching it on the telly is just heartbreaking and really frightening.

RICHARD
03-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Usually the news report just the magnitude of a quake, never the actual length.

This EQ lasted about 5 minutes.

Start your watch or clock and think about the ground moving for that amount of time.:eek::(:confused:

wombat2u2004
03-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Oz has dropped the Tsunami alert........no waves will reach here.
Reports still coming in of numbers of dead.....going up by the hour.

Kirsten
03-12-2011, 06:15 AM
My gosh, just heard there was an explosion in the nuclear plant of Fukushima, and the roof of the reactor was blown away... :eek:

It's almost 25 years ago that we had to face Chernobyl, and now the same seems to happen again...

Cabinet secretary: Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1)

pomtzu
03-12-2011, 06:56 AM
The media seems to be downplaying this situation of the explosion - probably to avoid any panic. But this appears to be a very bad situation to start with, and now is just getting worse. How do they stop a meltdown once it's started?? Sorry, but I'm no nuclear genius, so darned if I know.

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Oh gosh............ that' s terrible.........:eek::eek:!!

Let's hope that they can get control on that nuclear plant! My hubby says it is a different kind of reactor than Tjernobyl. Something about "graphite's"

So many people are suffering now...!

My main prayer is that there will not be a nuclear explosion , because if Tokyo gets hit, this is extremely bad for the world economy!! So many companies have their headquarters in Tokyo, so many people live in that huge city...:(:(

@Sirrahbed: where was Missy living in Japan a few years ago???

Alysser
03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
It's horrible, and now the Nuclear Plant blew. :( Many good thoughts going out the survivors and the remainder of the population there, and anyone effected elsewhere.

Asiel
03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
We were watching the devastation in Japan and I was shocked when they announced the plant blew. From what they were broadcasting yesterday it seemed they had that under control, I think maybe they are downplaying the situation.
Looking at all the videos and pictures on the news made me realize how lucky we are to live where we do. We get upset with snowstorms when they hit , we just got over another big one , having a few more into April would be no surprise but it sure made me appreciate that our only gripe is the sometimes heavy snow. Not much to get upset at compared to what some of those oter countries go through. Floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc..we never have to fear that.

lizbud
03-12-2011, 09:14 AM
My gosh, just heard there was an explosion in the nuclear plant of Fukushima, and the roof of the reactor was blown away... :eek:

It's almost 25 years ago that we had to face Chernobyl, and now the same seems to happen again...

Cabinet secretary: Explosion at Japanese nuclear plant (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1)

I read this morning that the building housing the reactor blew up, but the
reactor was not affected. Scary stuff.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1#

Karen
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
It is quite clear that Japanese officials are lying about what is happening at the nuclear plant. We have seen the video of that explosion, and there is no plausibility to them saying that no or very little radiation has escaped.

That everyone within a 12-mile radius has been told to evacuate, and that ring keeps growing, is a very bad sign. We are afraid for all the people and animals - both pets and wild animals in the area.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-12-2011, 02:03 PM
They are saying now that a second reactor has moved into the red zone whatever that means. I imagine it's nothing good. :love:

sana
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
My father is a radiologist and he had to travel to Japan as there is this society or some building which is called Sakura (I don't know all its name) but, anyway, my father had to go there for he had to do some seminars and stuff like that and these were the days when he had to go, Thank God my father didn't go there, the tsunami would have come in a few days from the time he would have reached there. Thank God, he is fine and stayed here, thank god!!! :love::love::eek::eek:

pomtzu
03-12-2011, 04:29 PM
It is quite clear that Japanese officials are lying about what is happening at the nuclear plant. We have seen the video of that explosion, and there is no plausibility to them saying that no or very little radiation has escaped.

That everyone within a 12-mile radius has been told to evacuate, and that ring keeps growing, is a very bad sign. We are afraid for all the people and animals - both pets and wild animals in the area.

Of course they're lying - the same as our own government would do in the same situation. They are reporting that the level of radiation around the plant is dropping too - so why do they keep increasing the area of evacuation???? That just doesn't equate.

A lot more videos on CNN and MSNBC that weren't available yesterday, have been playing today. It's so much worse than anything I could have imagined, or anything I saw yesterday. Also now reporting that 9500 people in one port town are missing, and that 4 trains that were traveling along the coast are gone. It just gets worse by the hour.

Freedom
03-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Yesterday we watched tv most of the day - MSNBC and CNN.

Today, I just couldn't. I did turn it on for an hour, CNN. Wolf Blitzer had the Japanese ambassador on, live, sitting right next to him. I felt so badly for the poor man. His English wasn't great, he seemed no match for Blitzer, and Blitzer kept on about the nuclear plant situation. It was clear he was giving the "party line." He just couldn't cover it

Finally someone sent in a Tweet, and Blitzer asked the man - all his immediate family is fine, but extended family and many, many friends have not made contact w/ anyone. :(

And more photos, more filming, MORE after shocks, MORE tsunami sirens -- one went off while Blitzer was on, he cut to the on sight journalist for that.

The film of that huge whirlpool, and the small boat being drawn in -- and so many other videos and photos -- seem like special effects from some movie. I have to keep reminding myself, this is REAL!

I had to stop watching, it was just SO MUCH; imagine the people there; they can't take a break from the flattened surroundings.

IRescue452
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Its all terrible. I went to Lakeland College and had a lot fo friends from Lakeland College Japan. I just spent some time putting in searches for people on google's people finder for the earthquakes in Japan. I hope I get some responses soon.

wombat2u2004
03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/03/massive_earthquake_hits_japan.html

sasvermont
03-12-2011, 08:06 PM
From what I have heard, their next trick is to fill the reactor with sea water and boric acid, bringing the temperature down .... and killing the reactor completely. The very last resort is to fill it with concrete. I feel comfortable that the Japanese government has it under control. I don't think they want to panic the public. Since they knew all along that earthquakes were an issue, they prepared for it.... and have had all the plans in place, unlike some of the earlier meltdown failures. Of course, they had hoped that the diesel generators would have worked better - and the backup batteries worked better .... failed in both cases....now they are down to the last two resorts. The explosion wasn't a surprise to them from what I have heard in the reports... I predict that the concrete trucks are mixing up their loads right now. The seawater option creates a problem of where to expel the water...right back into the ocean? Radioactive water into the ocean? I hope not. Thus concrete sounds like the only option left.

Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong about this. Just gathered this information from what I have heard via the news reports. NPR mostly.:confused::confused:

Marigold2
03-12-2011, 10:14 PM
This will change the world. This is but the tip of the iceburg.

blue
03-12-2011, 10:17 PM
This will change the world. This is but the tip of the iceburg.

Please explain how this will change the world.

Marigold2
03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Gas prices, stock market, relations between Japan and China or national debt to Japan.
How we as Americans begin to understand that yes this can happen to us as well in CA where they are saying in the next 30 we are expected to have a major earthquake such as this.
We are only seeing the beginning of what could happen. If there is a true melt down this will affect climate throughtout the world, the effects of the radiation, how the wind blows............
Japen could be almost wiped out if the radiation gets too high, the soil, plants, wildlife, air will be damaged the people will die, the island will be uninhabitable of worst comes to worst for many years. The people who live in Japan will have higher rates of cancer for many years to come and the next generation will be affected as well by. Their children will have a highter rate of birth defects.
Yes I belive this will change the world.

blue
03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Gas prices, stock market, relations between Japan and China or national debt to Japan.
How we as Americans begin to understand that yes this can happen to us as well in CA where they are saying in the next 30 we are expected to have a major earthquake such as this.
We are only seeing the beginning of what could happen. If there is a true melt down this will affect climate throughtout the world, the effects of the radiation, how the wind blows............
Japen could be almost wiped out if the radiation gets too high, the soil, plants, wildlife, air will be damaged the people will die, the island will be uninhabitable of worst comes to worst for many years. The people who live in Japan will have higher rates of cancer for many years to come and the next generation will be affected as well by. Their children will have a highter rate of birth defects.
Yes I belive this will change the world.

To my knowledge Japan doesnt have their own domestic oil reserves. They dont control the global stock market either. China may own a lot of our national dept but I have to admit I dont know how much Japan owns.

I live in Alaska, I am very aware this can happen here, Ive lived with earthquakes all my life. The Good Friday Earthquake of 64, second most powerful earthquake recorded, was bigger then this quake.

Japan has been through much worse, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. You do remember WW||?

Earthquakes like this are why Japan built small nuclear plants, to limit the radiation released in case of this type of catastrophe.

It is spelled Japan, not Japen.

kitten645
03-12-2011, 11:09 PM
"Please explain how this will change the world.'

The death of thousands of people changes the world. Who can say what these people may have contributed to the world. The lose of any life changes the world. Even if it's just some peoples world.
My thoughts are with any victim of natural or manmade disaster. Hoping for some miracles. :(

Kirsten
03-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Japan has been through much worse, Hiroshima and Nagasaki. You do remember WW||?

They say it's much worse! And if the reactor explodes, the radiation could be worse than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Oh for Heaven's sake - knock off the petty crap and stick with the issues at hand. You of course, have NEVER made a typing error. Grow up, will ya' please??? Oh - forgive me - "ya" isn't a proper and acceptable word. :rolleyes:

So if you think that these events will not change the world, then you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. Just stick your head in the sand and let the world go by all around you, and you will never be aware of any of these changes, and you can continue to live in your blissful state (of mind). :mad:

Marigold2
03-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Blue this is so horrible. The lose of life, the change in this part of the world. The years it will take to rebuild, to get over the emotional shock, scars of the people who have to witness the horror, the children who cry out for their dead parents.
The aftershocks could continue for months. Who and how can these poor people ever feel safe again?
Yes this will change the world in countless ways.
Do I remember WW11 yes I do? Better then you. My mom was in concentration camp and lost all her family. She had 10 brothers and sisters.
I understand how something like this effects a person for a lifetime, for generations these peoples mental state will be changed.
They will think differently, act differently and rethink what is important in life.
Something so profound changes people.
Just ask any man or women who served in battle and the horror they have seen how it changed them.
Now we have an entire country of shell shocked victims suffering.
The world has changed. No it will never be the same.
Just as WW11 changed the world this will as well.

Marigold2
03-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Oh and I would like to add one more thing. When a country is at war people might not expect to be killed or have their city born up but they mentally go over it in their mind and make plans.
When it starts to happen they have some time to adjust hopefully.
But this happened without warning. This shock is so much greater and deeper in the human mind.
When we hear about crime, shooting and killing in a bad area we aren't that surprised but when it happens in a nice middle class area where kids ride their bikes till dusk and doors are left unlocked the shock factor is so much worst.
This is how it is for these poor souls now. Out of the blue (no pun intented) mother nature has struck and whom can one blame or get mad at?
And where was God? I wonder how many ask that question and get no reply.

sana
03-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Marigold: And where was God? I wonder how many ask that question and get no reply.

Just saying, maybe...God sent a punishment, or maybe he was testing those people if they stayed firm with Him or they just left Him and thought that He wasn't fair and all that...just a small thought... :(

Its so sad that so many people died and all that..and it was so sudden, many people from my country who travelled to japan came back, I still thank God my father didn't go there. :love::love: Just a few thoughts...:(

Bonny
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
To my knowledge Japan doesnt have their own domestic oil reserves. They dont control the global stock market either. China may own a lot of our national dept but I have to admit I dont know how much Japan owns.

I live in Alaska, I am very aware this can happen here, Ive lived with earthquakes all my life. The Good Friday Earthquake of 64, second most powerful earthquake recorded, was bigger then this quake.

Earthquakes like this are why Japan built small nuclear plants, to limit the radiation released in case of this type of catastrophe.

Doesn't Japan get their oil from the Alaska Pipe Line? We did a tour in Valdez once & that is what they told us that the oil goes to Japan?

wombat2u2004
03-13-2011, 09:55 AM
And where was God?

Which one ????
Not much good saying this is a test of faith or something. The fact is, it was simply an act of the nature of planet earth.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I personally don't believe that God had a hand in this - one way or the other. God is not spiteful or vindictive or mean or testing anyone, but he is here to help us cope with this tragedy.

I also believe that God never deals us more than we can handle, tho at times, it does seem to be overwhelming.

Alysser
03-13-2011, 11:47 AM
An accquaintance of mine lost two members of her family in Japan. :( Phone lines are down and she can't contact the rest.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-13-2011, 12:56 PM
On the weather channel they said that quake moved the entire country of Japan over to the east by 8 feet and tilted the earth on its axes by 6 inches. That was one bad quake!!!

That will certainly change the world. :love:

Marigold2
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Exactly, it was meant as a joke. I don't believe in God like most people do, I don't believe in Karma either. The God I believe in does not punish, does not judge and would not only make ONE planet with people or creatures of life on it. The God I believe in has made hundreds of thousands if not millions of worlds with different life forms that we with our simple minds and petty attitudes cannot begin to comprehend.
We have not even discovered all the creatures in our oceans and yet many assume we are the only forms of life that exist on this planet that God created, silly. No no there are millions of other worlds out there, living, dying, breeding and loving. Does anyone really believe we are God's best work? I mean come on? Really?
I wish that someday I could see or meet the others but for now we will have to be content just meeting and distroying our own on this planet.

Which one ????
Not much good saying this is a test of faith or something. The fact is, it was simply an act of the nature of planet earth.

Marigold2
03-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I wonder what this and the fact that the earth has moved on it's axes will mean for global warming or maybe an ice age a cometh?

On the weather channel they said that quake moved the entire country of Japan over to the east by 8 feet and tilted the earth on its axes by 6 inches. That was one bad quake!!!

ChrisH
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Although visually spectacular, these explosions are not necessarily dangerous in terms of releasing radioactivity. The buildings are an external shell, with the task of sealing radioactive materials falling to a metal containment vessel constructed inside the concrete shell.

"The explosion... wasn't a terribly important event," according to Malcolm Grimston from the Energy Policy and Management Group at Imperial College, London.

"The building was designed to fall outwards" - preventing damage to the thick steel containment vessel inside.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12726628

A little reassuring I thought. That is assuming that he/they really know what they are talking about.

ChrisH
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Thought you may be interested to read a part taken from one of the posts on another forum written by a person who has a number of family and friends living in Japan (thankfully all are ok as they live in the south west) and is a person who knows the country and its people very well.

One note about how the Japanese operate as a Group. Always as a Group. So although it might seem 'slow' in the beginning, as a group they are deciding big decisions as to how to harness the gasoline resources, and get it to the effected areas. Things like that are what they are thinking. So once the army opens up the roads, etc. then bam, huge help is there. Same thing going on with food and Electricity. Groups of people waiting for food, not really individuals. And groups of people preparing food. Trying to get them together seems the most difficult. Anyways, that type of thing is how they operate.

...One positive thing you haven't, and probably won't, see is mass pillaging of shops. Mass panic either. All very calm. They're so strong.

Karen
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I wonder what this and the fact that the earth has moved on it's axes will mean for global warming or maybe an ice age a cometh?

It only moved a teensy bit, relative to the size of the planet, and will likely have not discernible effect on climate.

Our prayers are continually with the people of Japan, and their loved ones.

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
This is something that I noticed almost immediately when watching the videos of all the people: no panic, no fights breaking out, no looting, and nearly everyone taking things in stride. How opposite of the way things would be (and have been in the past), when the people here in the U.S. are faced with disasters in their own back yard. Hurricane Katrina is a prime example, and pics I've seen of this disaster in Japan remind me of that horrible event also. Homes washed away or surrounded by water, people on rooftops signaling for rescue, helicopters rescuing people from rooftops - so much similarity - yet the Japanese people as a whole, are coping so much better than we ever could.

Grace
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Before and after satellite pictures of various places in Japan -

Frightening - http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

pomtzu
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Before and after satellite pictures of various places in Japan -

Frightening - http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

Frightening - and heartbreaking. It's almost too much to comprehend.

Freedom
03-13-2011, 08:44 PM
And now a volcano has erupted, in the south of Japan.

Those poor people!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-japan-quake-volcano-20110314,0,2486939.story

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.

mrspunkysmom
03-13-2011, 09:39 PM
This is so sad. I hope this stops soon for their sake. There is another tsunami warning as I type this.

blue
03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
They say it's much worse! And if the reactor explodes, the radiation could be worse than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Totally different type of nuclear fuel compared to a nuclear bomb.

Oh for Heaven's sake - knock off the petty crap and stick with the issues at hand. You of course, have NEVER made a typing error. Grow up, will ya' please??? Oh - forgive me - "ya" isn't a proper and acceptable word. :rolleyes:

So if you think that these events will not change the world, then you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. Just stick your head in the sand and let the world go by all around you, and you will never be aware of any of these changes, and you can continue to live in your blissful state (of mind). :mad:

True, I am well aware that my grammar and spelling are horrible, thats why I love the spell check. I wish more people would embrace the spell check. So go lay down.

I do not think this will change the world other then to change building codes in earthquake prone areas. Did the Haitian earthquake change the world? More people died there, why wasnt that a world changing event?

Blue this is so horrible. The lose of life, the change in this part of the world. The years it will take to rebuild, to get over the emotional shock, scars of the people who have to witness the horror, the children who cry out for their dead parents.
The aftershocks could continue for months. Who and how can these poor people ever feel safe again?

I must have a higher opinion of the Japanese people then you do. The lose of life was minimal for how populated the region is. They will likely rebuild faster then New Orleans, NO is still rebuilding arent they. Did the 2004 tsunamis change the world? More people where killed there too.

Yes this will change the world in countless ways.
Do I remember WW11 yes I do? Better then you. My mom was in concentration camp and lost all her family. She had 10 brothers and sisters.
I understand how something like this effects a person for a lifetime, for generations these peoples mental state will be changed.
They will think differently, act differently and rethink what is important in life.
Something so profound changes people.
Just ask any man or women who served in battle and the horror they have seen how it changed them.
Now we have an entire country of shell shocked victims suffering.
The world has changed. No it will never be the same.
Just as WW11 changed the world this will as well.

I am very sorry the lose your family felt. Japan as a country likely remembers WW|| in as personal way as you do. They are also used to earthquakes, look at how they are dealing with this latest one. No looting, no riots, and no anarchy. So you may be right, this may change the world if the rest of us learn from the Japanese.

Doesn't Japan get their oil from the Alaska Pipe Line? We did a tour in Valdez once & that is what they told us that the oil goes to Japan?

Japan gets a lot of natural gas from us. I am unsure as to the amount of oil that we export.

Has Al Gore blamed the earthquake on Global Warming and George Bush yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12726628

A little reassuring I thought. That is assuming that he/they really know what they are talking about.

This is exactly why the Japanese built a lot of small reactors rather the the big ones America and Russia built. Even if one does fail it wont be a huge disaster.

This is something that I noticed almost immediately when watching the videos of all the people: no panic, no fights breaking out, no looting, and nearly everyone taking things in stride. How opposite of the way things would be (and have been in the past), when the people here in the U.S. are faced with disasters in their own back yard. Hurricane Katrina is a prime example, and pics I've seen of this disaster in Japan remind me of that horrible event also. Homes washed away or surrounded by water, people on rooftops signaling for rescue, helicopters rescuing people from rooftops - so much similarity - yet the Japanese people as a whole, are coping so much better than we ever could.

This is why I dont think the earthquake is a would changing event. California would be in utter chaos with all of the bad things Pomtzu brought up and worse.

Japan was, and is prepared for these type of natural disasters.

Grace
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
There is another tsunami warning as I type this.

Thankfully, I just read that this turned out to be a false alarm.

RICHARD
03-13-2011, 11:32 PM
This is one of the saddest natural disasters to happen in my lifetime.

Not to discount other tragedies, but this was a double whammy.

-------------------------

One thing that is important to understand about a new clear reactor is how they operate and how they are made.

There isn't radioactivity spewing out across the landscape unless the closed system is broken.

http://www.tva.gov/power/images/wbndiag.gif

I hope that it's all well for the people of Japan, this is a disaster in triplicate..

-------------------

Yeah,

WTF is that volcano doing?

That's effing BS, haven't these people suffered enough?

RICHARD
03-13-2011, 11:40 PM
California would be in utter chaos with all of the bad things Pomtzu brought up and worse.

I have to say that even tho we are heathens and sinners here in El Lay?

I saw and heard of some of the best, from some of the biggest morons that lived here.

There were the people that panicked and were dumb, but in the worst of situations we did all come together and persevered.

(I have to say that that to defend my home town?)

Karen
03-13-2011, 11:54 PM
TI am very sorry the lose your family felt. Japan as a country likely remembers WW|| in as personal way as you do. They are also used to earthquakes, look at how they are dealing with this latest one. No looting, no riots, and no anarchy. So you may be right, this may change the world if the rest of us learn from the Japanese.

Japan is culturally very different from us, and order and decorum are highly valued. Children are taught from an early age that fitting in and getting along are of paramount importance. Outward expression of emotion is just not the think to do. Community is more important, in many instances, than the individual.

Here, independence is highly valued. Creativity is highly valued, and the individual is celebrated. Look at all the emphasis on self-esteem ... Unfortunately, sometimes this problems, but I would not trade my independence for decorum.

We rejoice with every survivor rescued, and keep all the missing, the lost and the dead in our prayers.

blue
03-13-2011, 11:57 PM
The ideals arent mutually exclusive Karen.

In fact if we where freer from government we would be forced to be more community minded and would help each other out rather then waiting for the .Gov to step in and save the day. Look at NO after Katrina, they didnt help each other out they waited for the .Gov to come to the rescue. When the .Gov did come they wanted everything handed to them.

I may have been wrong about this being a world changing event, I just think most people wont learn the lesson Japan could teach us.

Karen
03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
The ideals arent mutually exclusive Karen.

Yes, I know. Which is a good thing, of course. But it does reflect in that often the Japanese make big money off of ideas that originated here. We invented the car, but now buy lots of them from there, as they have made improvements, etc. to our invention. Both societies work together, are should continue to learn from each other. I am glad our people are helping and hope we continue to do so.

RICHARD
03-14-2011, 12:57 AM
All things taken into consideration?

People are people across the planet.

This is a total lose-lose situation for everyone involved.

Being an earthquake 'veteran'?

I have only had to deal with fright, not knowing when another EQ will hit and never, ever had to worry about water, radioactivity or a volcano tossed into the mix.

My electricity was on in hours, I didn't have to wait in line for water, food or gas.

People suffer, cry, fear and get back on their feet the same way, all over the world.

There are many cultural differences, but the look of fear is universal?:(

wombat2u2004
03-14-2011, 01:47 AM
Has Al Gore blamed the earthquake on Global Warming and George Bush yet?

Not yet.
He's probably doing his maths right now to see how much money he can scrape out of everyone.

ChrisH
03-14-2011, 05:42 AM
And now a volcano has erupted, in the south of Japan.

Those poor people!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fgw-japan-quake-volcano-20110314,0,2486939.story

Sunday's eruption, which was the biggest volcanic activity in Shinmoedake in 52 years, caused widespread destruction and panic. The blast could be heard for miles, and shattered windows four miles away, the BBC reported. Hundreds of people fled the area as the volcano spewed debris, including hot ash and rocks, more than 6,000 feet in the air, according to BBC reports.
That report is from the beginning of February.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12331811
I cannot find any recent report about the volcano on the BBC site, although there are other reports of a fresh eruption on a few sites across the web.

pomtzu
03-14-2011, 06:34 AM
This a.m., ABC is reporting over 10,000 confirmed dead, and the numbers continue to rise.

Continuing prayers for this nation that has been dealt such a harsh hand.

ETA: This probably is an incorrect figure, since I'm not seeing that reported anywhere. Perhaps the reporter added one zero too many, as 1000 seems to be more accurate.

pomtzu
03-14-2011, 07:00 AM
Blue:
You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Yes, there were many more lives lost in Haiti and Indonesia, and the events there are probably not what you might refer to as world changing. But - were either of these considered big players in the world economy? No!!! Therein lies your difference. The loss of even one life is tragic, and I'm not downplaying the tragedy of Haiti or Indonesia, but it is, what it is. And even tho the loss of life will be far less in Japan (hopefully), the destruction that this industrialized nation has endured, will be felt worldwide for a long time to come. IMO.........

Richard:
L.A. would not fare well in the coping department. It might not be as bad as NO, but it would NEVER handle the tragedy as Japan has so far. Again - IMO.......

Freedom
03-14-2011, 09:14 AM

:confused: It is dated March 13, 2011.

Anyway, things just continue over there. Another explosion at the nuclae plant, 1000 bodies washed up on shore, running out of body bags and coffins, crematoriums overloaded . . . . .

Just unbelievable, really!

wombat2u2004
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
ETA: This probably is an incorrect figure, since I'm not seeing that reported anywhere. Perhaps the reporter added one zero too many, as 1000 seems to be more accurate.

I don't think so. Because of the population densities in those areas, I'd say the death toll will rise much greater than 10,000. Just my opinion from seeing the aerial shots of the scenes. I hope I'm wrong.

pomtzu
03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think so. Because of the population densities in those areas, I'd say the death toll will rise much greater than 10,000. Just my opinion from seeing the aerial shots of the scenes. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't doubt that, but they reported this a.m. that it was already that high. This was a verbal report that I heard, but I don't see it in print anywhere.

Sorry I confusigated you........:p

Karen
03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Sadly, the difference between the two figures is "confirmed" deaths, as opposed to likely deaths. I wouldn't want to jobs of the people who are having to count and identify all the bodies washing ashore in the northern prefectures, but I also know how important that job is for those loved ones anxiously waiting for some word of their family's fate.

IRescue452
03-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't know that we'd have such a panic about food. I mean, we tend to stock our homes up here. Some people in parts of Japan, on the other hand, don't have huge fridges in their apartments and houses because they're always on the go. Plus we have tons more land space as our own country than they do in Japan. We have lots more options for food coming from elsewhere within the counry. Imagine how much food is within their island nation on any given day as compared to how much is within the continental US.

Kirsten
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know that we'd have such a panic about food. I mean, we tend to stock our homes up here. Some people in parts of Japan, on the other hand, don't have huge fridges in their apartments and houses because they're always on the go. Plus we have tons more land space as our own country than they do in Japan. We have lots more options for food coming from elsewhere within the counry. Imagine how much food is within their island nation on any given day as compared to how much is within the continental US.

I remember that back in 1986 after the Chernobyl incident, a lot of food had to be destroyed. All our harvests that year; and we were not allowed to drink milk, or eat dairy products; I remember that things like nuts, mushrooms and many other things were taken off the market. And we were in Germany, more than 1,000 km away from Chernobyl!

pomtzu
03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
What good is all that food in the fridge and freezers, when there is no electricity to power these appliances to keep the food from spoiling??? Think about it............

caseysmom
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
My family could live off our pantry for weeks...

Grace
03-14-2011, 02:38 PM
On September 1, 1923 an earthquake hit Yokohama, Japan. It registered just 7 on the Richter scale, but caused immense damage.

Here (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/in-deadly-earthquake-echoes-of-1923/?nl=opinion&emc=tya1) is a blog from the NY Times about that quake. 145,000 people died back then.

ChrisH
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH

:confused: It is dated March 13, 2011.
I should have written "The BBC report quoted is from the beginning of February."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12331811

Karen
03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
My family could live off our pantry for weeks...

But that assumes you could get to your pantry ... and many of these people's whole houses are in rubble.

I think most New Englanders would live off their pantry supplies for at least a week, but that doesn't stop everyone from running to the store every time a big storm is forecast!

caseysmom
03-14-2011, 04:59 PM
But that assumes you could get to your pantry ... and many of these people's whole houses are in rubble.

I think most New Englanders would live off their pantry supplies for at least a week, but that doesn't stop everyone from running to the store every time a big storm is forecast!

Oh I know Karen and didn't mean to sound unsypathetic...just saying I have tons of food on hand.

pomtzu
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
My pantry is very well stocked also, but most is with food that has to be cooked too, other than canned items, so it wouldn't last all that long.
Spaghetti, macaroni, noodles, rice, cake mixes, dry soup mix, bisquick, pudding mix, jello, etc. etc - all in there, but not edible as is without further preparation - and all of those require water or milk. :(

Karen
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
My pantry is very well stocked also, but most is with food that has to be cooked too, other than canned items, so it wouldn't last all that long.
Spaghetti, macaroni, noodles, rice, cake mixes, dry soup mix, bisquick, pudding mix, jello, etc. etc - all in there, but not edible as is without further preparation - and all of those require water or milk. :(

I always have some dry milk powder on hand, just in case, and we always have some gallon jugs of water on hand. I like milk with my cereal or oatmeal too much, so in desperation, I can resort to that!

I feel so sad for the Japanese people, such a hard thing they are going through, and the aftershocks must feel like adding insult to injury. I have no doubt many of the children will have nightmares for years to come because of this. I do not trust anything they are reporting about the nuclear reactor situation, seeing as they say one thing and then another that contradicts the first, but that whole thing is just added stress of the already-beleaguered people.

caseysmom
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Its heartbreaking, especially seeing the very young and the very old without a place to call home.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
There has been another explosion at nuclear reactor 2. That's the one they have been really worried about. :(

Lady's Human
03-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Can the news media please go back to investigating then reporting?

Too much sensationalism, too little fact.

cassiesmom
03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
The earthquake in Japan and the previous one in New Zealand weren't even 3 weeks apart. I heard on the news that geologists are still recording aftershocks in Japan. In the newspaper yesterday it said that ocean waves from British Columbia to California were measured as an effect of the earthquake and tsunami all the way in Japan. Yikes.

Is Japan considered a densely populated country? Or maybe just some of their major cities are. The Amazing Race competitors were there last week and there were lots of people and cars in the streets. When I've seen pictures they often show high rise buildings and talk about the amount of time the Japanese people spend commuting, either by car or public transportation.

blue
03-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Blue:
You are trying to compare apples to oranges. Yes, there were many more lives lost in Haiti and Indonesia, and the events there are probably not what you might refer to as world changing. But - were either of these considered big players in the world economy? No!!! Therein lies your difference. The loss of even one life is tragic, and I'm not downplaying the tragedy of Haiti or Indonesia, but it is, what it is. And even tho the loss of life will be far less in Japan (hopefully), the destruction that this industrialized nation has endured, will be felt worldwide for a long time to come. IMO.

Im comparing loss of life from one natural disaster to another, that is all.

The Japanese are very resilient, they have proven that over and over again. Because of this there has been so little loss of life compared to their population. After WW2 they rebuilt to where they where even with the restrictions the Allies put on them.

So again I may have been wrong about this being a world changing event. Japan could rebuild to be even more technologically advanced then they where before the earthquake.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
The Japanese are very resilient, they have proven that over and over again. Because of this there has been so little loss of life compared to their population. After WW2 they rebuilt to where they where even with the restrictions the Allies put on them.

So again I may have been wrong about this being a world changing event. Japan could rebuild to be even more technologically advanced then they where before the earthquake.

Yeah, I have to go with that to. This won't be like the Katrina aftermath.
The Japs will fix it all up in no time.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Not good news....
Reactor No.2 blew this morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366341/Japan-tsumani-earthquake-America-nuclear-accident-radiation-alert.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

sana
03-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Today in the assembly, our Head Mistress asked us what special thing we noticed on TV in the news about the Japanese, and she told us that nobody panicked because its thee worst thing during earthquakes and all these natural disasters. When the earthquake came, before all that, they had been practicing and taking its exercises daily and on a routine and during the earthquake, people in supermarkets stood against to the shelves and later when they were getting food from the supermarkets, everybody stood in lines and did not break the lines and then she asked all the girls "Is there an earthquake coming in the breaktime" :p:p lol, some girls are usually breaking the lines and all that during break in front of the canteen :p:D We studied waves in the Science Period and our teacher also talked to us about this earthquake and the earthquake in 2005 in Pakistan. :eek::eek:

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 06:39 AM

If there is any safe land left to build on. Okay - that's an exaggeration - but this whole mess with the nuclear reactors~~~~~well, it just keeps getting worse!

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 08:11 AM
If there is any safe land left to build on. Okay - that's an exaggeration - but this whole mess with the nuclear reactors~~~~~well, it just keeps getting worse!

Hey, you've got your very own nuclear reactors built straddling the San Andreas Fault to.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 08:13 AM
List of earthquakes in Asia over the past 7 days.
As you can see........most are in and around Japan.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/Asia_eqs.php

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Shakemap of affected area in Japan.
1th March 2011....9.0 Magnitude.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/shakemap/global/shake/c0001xgp/

Cincy'sMom
03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
The latest from my friend in Japan is that the town she is in is ebing evacuated (20 miles from the Reactors). The group she is with (She is there teaching English) will be moved to Tokyo and then flown back to the states.

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Hey, you've got your very own nuclear reactors built straddling the San Andreas Fault to.

And that's why I'm glad I live 3000 miles to the east of it! When Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania had their partial meltdown, that was even too close to me. A lot of my ex's relatives lived close enough to have to be evacuated.

I live just across the Delaware Bay from the Salem Nuclear Power Plant in New Jersey, and can see the condensation from the cooling towers from my house. Hopefully that place never blows. I'm close enough to be in trouble.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 12:09 PM
And that's why I'm glad I live 3000 miles to the east of it! When Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania had their partial meltdown, that was even too close to me. A lot of my ex's relatives lived close enough to have to be evacuated.

I live just across the Delaware Bay from the Salem Nuclear Power Plant in New Jersey, and can see the condensation from the cooling towers from my house. Hopefully that place never blows. I'm close enough to be in trouble.

Trouble is, wind can carry the radiation half way around the world.
But what can we do ??? We need the power they create. :confused:

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Before and after pics of the devastation. :(
2 X pages

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

Kirsten
03-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Yesterday, the German government made a decision re. our nuclear power plants. Only last fall, they extended the lifespans of our reactors (which our previous government had once decided to shut down), now the Merkel government decided to cancel the lifespan extensions. And 7 reactors, the oldest ones, will be shut down in the near future:

German media roundup: Merkel's nuclear U-turn (http://www.thelocal.de/national/20110315-33723.html)

Grace
03-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Did any of you ever read the book, or see the movie, On the Beach? Book written by Nevil Shute. Movie with Fred Astaire, Ava Gardner, Gregory Peck.

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Did any of you ever read the book, or see the movie, On the Beach? Book written by Nevil Shute. Movie with Fred Astaire, Ava Gardner, Gregory Peck.

Read the book and did a report on it in h.s., saw the original movie, saw the made for t.v. movie, and a few years ago, bought the DVD of the original movie. It's sad and sobering, yet one of my favorite movies of all time. Time to watch it again I think. I can never hear the song "Waltzing Matilda" without thinking of it.

I think it's one of those "must see" movies that everyone should see at least once. It will make you think.........

momoffuzzyfaces
03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Can the news media please go back to investigating then reporting?

Too much sensationalism, too little fact.

??? That was true about the nuclear reactor not just a rumor. :love:

We have Wolf Creek here in Kansas. It's built to take winds of up to 300 mph but would not fair well in an earthquake they say. :love:

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Trouble is, wind can carry the radiation half way around the world.
But what can we do ??? We need the power they create. :confused:

And that's why the world needs to do more in the way of clean energy. We have the sun and the wind too, yet so little has been done with solar and wind power - and there it is - an endless source that couldn't be cleaner.

Kirsten
03-15-2011, 12:44 PM
And that's why the world needs to do more in the way of clean energy. We have the sun and the wind too, yet so little has been done with solar and wind power - and there it is - an endless source that couldn't be cleaner.

That's what we're doing in Germany right now. Looks like during the next years (or probably decades), there will be a complete switch to renewable energies. However, this will have its price. Prices for electricity are already ridiculously high here, and they will even rise after that.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
What ever happened to solar power or wind power? We hardly ever hear them mentioned around here any more. I'd think they would be lots better than atomic power as far as the danger factor. :love:

Bonny
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM
What ever happened to solar power or wind power? We hardly ever hear them mentioned around here any more. I'd think they would be lots better than atomic power as far as the danger factor. :love:

Minnesota & Iowa are putting up wind generators like they are going out of style. Iowa senate was to vote on atomic power use in the state but have had a good look at what can happen & had have had a change of mind.

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Yes - what I just said also.........:D

Heard this a.m. that the quake was upgraded to a 9.0 too - 1.5 times stronger than originally reported as an 8.9

Lady's Human
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
??? That was true about the nuclear reactor not just a rumor. :love:

We have Wolf Creek here in Kansas. It's built to take winds of up to 300 mph but would not fair well in an earthquake they say. :love:

Yes, they are having issue with the reactors.

No, this isn't going to end the world.

Cut back on the hype, I know, science is booorrring, but guess what? THe world relies on science. Sci-Fi authors have discussed solar powersats in space for decades, and you can get a much higher energy density doing that. So what do we do? Cut back on funding NASA as it's all a boondoggle.
Tidal, wind and solar are all decent supplements, but the energy densities are low, and NIMBY groups prevent them from being used. (Now the wind farms up here in NY are under court challenge.......again)

This is going to be spun up in the press to become a luddite movement.......the proof in is Germany's reaction.

pomtzu
03-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Minnesota & Iowa are putting up wind generators like they are going out of style. Iowa senate was to vote on atomic power use in the state but have had a good look at what can happen & had have had a change of mind.

Hey Bonny....

In your neck of the woods, and all of Tornado Alley, wind power would be all that's ever needed!

Okay - bad joke. Just a feeble attempt to lighten things up a bit. :eek::p:D

Bonny
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Bonny....

In your neck of the woods, and all of Tornado Alley, wind power would be all that's ever needed!

Okay - bad joke. Just a feeble attempt to lighten things up a bit. :eek::p:D

A Tornado would really get those blades a moving.:D

ChrisH
03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Talking of different forms of energy, Wrexham County Borough Council, my landlord, has had a solar panels plan under consideration for a while and a final decision was made last month.

18 February 2011
Council gives the go-ahead for Solar PV Panels in Wrexham Homes

Wrexham Council's Executive Board gave the go-ahead this week to install Solar PV [photovoltaic] panels onto the roofs of 3000 Council houses across Wrexham.

(PV) technology converts daylight into electricity and provides clean, emission free energy from a sustainable source which will help to reduce the Council’s carbon footprint.

The exciting and ambitious project will save approximately 3000 tonnes of CO2 each year. This is equivalent to taking 1000 cars off the road for 1 year.

An added benefit to the project is that those tenants who will be having PV panels installed onto their properties will see a reduction in their electricity bills (between £100 - £300 per year), whilst the Council will also receive a substantial income via the newly introduced Government backed Feed In Tariff Scheme. (http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Generate-your-own-energy/Sell-your-own-energy/Feed-in-Tariff-scheme)
The project is expected to be completed by March 2013, with the first of the installations hopefully commencing this summer. Officers will now continue to work on and finalise the project with further details expected to be released soon.

The main source of funding for the project will be through borrowing and the Welsh Assembly Government's PV Procurement framework will be used in order to help the Council find the best supplier for the purchase and installation of the panels.

I have not heard whether my home is to be one of those houses but I'd be more than happy if it were.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
A Tornado would really get those blades a moving.:D

Yep, and add all the hot air from all the politicians and earth could fly away for years. :D :love:

Lady's Human
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Yep, and add all the hot air from all the politicians and earth could fly away for years. :D :love:

Political hot air is EPA regulated, and can't be used for industrial purposes.

It's just too toxic. :p

Interesting to see that article about solar. The local school district is installing solar panels at all our schools to cut down on energy costs, as well as insulating the buildings (What a concept.....insulation in upstate NY?), installing new HVAC systems, and replacing the plate glass windows with low E.

It was a bear of a budget, but I voted for it because of long term savings.

RICHARD
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
The EQ in Japan was supposed to have lasted 5 minutes.

THAT was a 9.0 shaker

I have been thru three 6.0 and above quakes that lasted about 20-30 seconds? The largest was 6.8.

The people in Japan have been having AFTERSHOCKS that are 6.0 and above.

I just cannot imagine going thru crap like that.

I would seriously think about killing myself.:eek::confused::(

sasvermont
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Vermont Yankee is a General Electric boiling water reactor (BWR) type nuclear power plant currently owned by Entergy. It is located in the town of Vernon, Vermont and generates 620 megawatts (MWe) of electricity. The plant began commercial operations in 1972. It provided Vermont with nearly three-fourths (73%)[1] of its electrical generating capacity[2] prior to the 2006 uprate and meets 35% of the overall energy requirements of the state.[3]
In February 2010, the Vermont Senate voted 26 to 4 against re-licensing of the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant after 2012, citing radioactive tritium leaks, misstatements in testimony by plant officials, a cooling tower collapse in 2007, and other problems.[4] There is an absence of a clear plan to replace the electricity generated by the plant, which has caused concern among some businesses in Vermont.[5]
Governor Peter Shumlin is a prominent opponent of the Vermont Yankee and two days after Shumlin was elected in November 2010, Entergy put the plant up for sale.[6]

.............There is great concern about the de-commissioning of the plant and who will pay for it. There are some folks, mostly Republicans sorry to say, thinking that keeping this plant alive will benefit Vermonters. It certainly has had it's problems for the past few years and I hope the plant gets shut down for good. Many folks are doing the wind energy where possible. I have two friends with wind thingies on their property/homes and they put their excess back, into the grid. It would be nice if we could all have access to solar/wind energy systems. One would think our governments would want to make it soooooooooo cheap for us that we couldn't resist.

RICHARD
03-15-2011, 04:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html?hp?src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

Before and after pics.

Drag the bar across the photos to see how the landscape has changed.:eek:

carole
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
yes it is just terrible what these poor people are having to deal with,i think to say the japanese are resilient people is true, but i also think we all are when it really comes down to it, i have been truly proud of the way the kiwis have handled our earthquake, minus a few morons,which i am ashamed to even mention.

Yes the aftershocks just keep coming down here too, and that is the worst of it,already damaged buildings are at so much risk with further aftershocks,but to have a tsunami and eruption and nuclear blasts on top of everything else, it just unimaginable how bad that can really be.,this is one time i am glad my country is nuclear free.

Prayers and good thoughts to all over in Japan.

Kirsten
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, just read that reactor 4 is burning again, and that two workers are missing. :( And obviously experts fear explosions in reactor 5 and 6, the last two intact reactors.

One does not dare to go to sleep these days. The last 4 days, the first thing I did in the morning was turning on the tv to see what happened during the night, and every time, the situation in Fukushima had taken a turn to the worse. :(

sana
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Man! All this stuff creeps me out!!! :eek::eek: I hope the country recovers soon and fast! :eek:Prayers for all hurt and all the people in Japan..:love::(

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 09:34 PM
It would be nice if we could all have access to solar/wind energy systems. One would think our governments would want to make it soooooooooo cheap for us that we couldn't resist.

We get big subsidies here for installing solar units, and for a while they insulated homes for free.

Karen
03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
We get big subsidies here for installing solar units, and for a while they insulated homes for free.

We do get some money back for solar installation, Wom. It's just that at our house, we do not get enough sun to make it remotely useful. I grow moss better than anything else, because of the position of the house, the hill behind, and the trees across the street, etc. etc.

Sas, the problem is that solar cells are still currently pretty expensive to make, but they are getting better, more efficient and less expensive as time goes on. I keep hoping they'll get to the point that they are more affordable. My church, for instance, has a huge slate roof that could probably power the whole building if we could get solar cell up there, but it would have to be the side not facing the street because of being in a "historic district."

Back to the original topics, the news coming from Japan is increasingly scary, especially if you listen to enough news sources to get a more complete picture. It is truly tragic for Japan, and I hope anyone anywhere near the plant evacuated when they were told to do so.

Karen
03-16-2011, 05:52 PM
The situation in Japan with the nuclear plant seems to be spiraling out of control. There are "spent" rods sitting open to the sky, leaks from reactor #2 - we can see smoke pouring out a hole in the building, and the radiation is so high they have had to pull the workers away, they sent them back afterwards, but they are not able to do many things because of the radiation.

Most telling? American officials have told all Americans within 50 miles to evacuate, and said if this were happening here, they'd evacuate everyone to that point. Japanese officials have just evacuated to 12 miles away, but the US obviously feels that is not safe.

Sad, sad, sad and scary for the people and animals of Japan.

Cincy'sMom
03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
This is an update my friend just posted on facebook. Please keep her and her teaching team in your thoughts and prayers (and everyone in Japan)

"my friends: i can't leave. trains aren't operating. highways are closed. we are planning to leave tomorrow morning by vans and taking back roads. i'm asking everyone to remain calm and pray. help me remain peaceful."

RICHARD
03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_17610782?nclick_check=1

The Los Angeles County Fire Department, on the move again.:(

Grace
03-17-2011, 06:59 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_17610782?nclick_check=1

The Los Angeles County Fire Department, on the move again.:(

Richard, I saw something on the news about that earlier in the week. I think they were coordinating everything in your city, before shipping out.

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 07:01 AM
And they are doing water drops by helicopter???? To me, that seems like fighting a forest fire with a garden hose. :mad: How the heck is that going to cover any exposed rods???

And those poor workers that have stayed behind to "try" to fight this monster. For them, it's pretty much a death sentence. I heard that the Japanese government was looking for older workers to volunteer to stay, since they probably would die from old age rather than the effects of the radiation, which can take many years to show up. It was reported that one man that stayed was only 6 months from retirement. And in interviews with their family members, they just accept it and move on. I can't imagine, but that's just how they live their lives - so much different than ours, for sure.

What makes me angry, is that the Japanese government downplayed the whole situation from day one, and felt that they could keep things under control. Yes - they are a proud people - but this was just reckless - simply lies to try to hide the truth from the world, and not look vulnerable, as they truly are. If they had brought in the "big guns" and fought fire with fire from the start, then they probably wouldn't have such a hideous, dangerous monster on their hands right now.

I pray for ALL of Japan, not just the stricken areas. Their way of life, and their faith in their leaders has been compromised. How can they believe anything that they are told now??? :confused::mad:

Karen
03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
They cannot get close enough to cover the rods with water any other way, the radiation is too high. And even this seems to be a hit-or-miss situation. Remember, Pom, the information we have been getting is mostly from the company that runs the power plant, not the Japanese government. This is a company that has lied to the world in the past, sadly. They are also trying to use water cannons from ground level. I hope somehow they can get things under control without too much more damage and sacrifice.

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 08:22 AM
They cannot get close enough to cover the rods with water any other way, the radiation is too high. And even this seems to be a hit-or-miss situation. Remember, Pom, the information we have been getting is mostly from the company that runs the power plant, not the Japanese government. This is a company that has lied to the world in the past, sadly. I hope somehow they can get things under control without too much more damage and sacrifice.

And in press conferences, Japanese leaders were echoing what power plant big wigs were saying. So IMO - they are even more guilty. :mad:

Kirsten
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
And those poor workers that have stayed behind to "try" to fight this monster. For them, it's pretty much a death sentence. I heard that the Japanese government was looking for older workers to volunteer to stay, since they probably would die from old age rather than the effects of the radiation, which can take many years to show up. It was reported that one man that stayed was only 6 months from retirement. And in interviews with their family members, they just accept it and move on. I can't imagine, but that's just how they live their lives - so much different than ours, for sure.

The other day, I heard on tv that 1986 in Chernobyl, the Russians sent an entire army to stop the fire, and they all died. I saw a discussion on tv whether something like that would be possible in Germany, in case of a nuclear disaster. Our mentality is obviously different, more individual, and it would probably be hard to find someone who'd be willing to sacrifice his own life. :(

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
The other day, I heard on tv that 1986 in Chernobyl, the Russians sent an entire army to stop the fire, and they all died. I saw a discussion on tv whether something like that would be possible in Germany, in case of a nuclear disaster. Our mentality is obviously different, more individual, and it would probably be hard to find someone who'd be willing to sacrifice his own life. :(

Yes - I heard that most were dead in about 3 months. Chernobly had no containment vessels, so the radiation that was released in the explosion and fire, was mega times what it is in Japan, where they are having leaks in the containment vessels, but at a much slower and lower rate. I also heard that the biggest danger is from the spent fuel rods that are stored in these reactor buildings, and they are not in any kind of containment. That however, doesn't diminish the seriousness of the whole mess. That area is now useless and will be for hundreds of years, slow/low leaks or not.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
The thing about Chernobyl they only had one reactor messing up, Japan has four. :love:

sasvermont
03-17-2011, 12:37 PM
10:47 a.m. ET Thursday, 11:47 p.m. Thursday in Tokyo] Actress Sandra Bullock sent a $1 million donation to the Amerian Red Cross this week to help with earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan, the organization said Thursday. It is the largest celebrity donation to the Red Cross to be announced since the disaster struck last Friday, although the charity may have gotten large contributions that were kept confidential at the donors' request.

I have always liked Sandra but like her much more, now.

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
And the water drops from the helicopters were an effort in futility, and those efforts have been abandoned. Very little of the water ever made it's target, and most was dissipated by the wind - after it picked up all kinds of radiation and then rained down on the earth. :(

Wonder what they'll try next??? :rolleyes: It seems that they are grasping at straws.

Karen
03-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Wonder what they'll try next??? :rolleyes: It seems that they are grasping at straws.

They are.

kokopup
03-17-2011, 01:24 PM
The problem that Japan will face is the dead zone that will have to be created like in Chernobyl, it will probably impact millions of people. Chernobyl was just a dot in the Russian landscape, and if a dead zone the size of Chernobyl is created it will take up more than 15% of the country. We are just seeing the tip of the iceburg of Japans problems related to these reactors.

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM
The problem that Japan will face is the dead zone that will have to be created like in Chernobyl, it will probably impact millions of people. Chernobyl was just a dot in the Russian landscape, and if a dead zone the size of Chernobyl is created it will take up more than 15% of the country. We are just seeing the tip of the iceburg of Japans problems related to these reactors.

True. I wonder how big Japan's dead zone will be, and how many people will never be able to return to their homes. All I know, is that it's a LOT of people that will be forced to relocate, in a country that is already short on liveable space, even before the earthquake and tsunami.

smokey the elder
03-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why they don't dump sand on the fuel rods. The heat from the rods would melt the sand, vitrifying it into glass. This is how spent fuel is treated already; this would be in effect "abandoning it in place". Maybe the little water that is there would pressurize and now you'd have radioactive glass going sky high? I dunno.

the problem with nuke plants is that sooner or later the small probability but severe risk profile will catch up with you.

Grace
03-17-2011, 04:50 PM
10:47 a.m. ET Thursday, 11:47 p.m. Thursday in Tokyo] Actress Sandra Bullock sent a $1 million donation to the Amerian Red Cross this week to help with earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan, the organization said Thursday. It is the largest celebrity donation to the Red Cross to be announced since the disaster struck last Friday, although the charity may have gotten large contributions that were kept confidential at the donors' request.

If I remember correctly, she did the same thing after Katrina and Haiti.

Karen
03-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I don't understand why they don't dump sand on the fuel rods. The heat from the rods would melt the sand, vitrifying it into glass. This is how spent fuel is treated already; this would be in effect "abandoning it in place". Maybe the little water that is there would pressurize and now you'd have radioactive glass going sky high? I dunno.

the problem with nuke plants is that sooner or later the small probability but severe risk profile will catch up with you.

The problem is, getting close enough to do that with the radiation that they are emitting. Eventually they will probably encase it all in concrete, like they did with Chernobyl, I hope they can rig some cranes and chutes and start doing that soon. This is Japan, where they make amazing robots - I am surprised they don't have robots they can send in, instead of human workers.

The whole area needn't be a dead zone - people moved back to Hiroshima 6 months after the bombing, and that has been highly studied of course. But before anything, they need to control those reactors, which is looking less and less likely.

sasvermont
03-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I heard one report that they were going to try to put sand on one of the reactors. I don't know if they've started it.

Chernobyl was major in size, compared to this mess and it was a total meltdown, without containment at all. I know that they can entomb the reactors in Japan and deal with the removal of radioactive material much later. Of course, this will prolong and delay the total correction by years and years. I don't know what it would do to the area. I think there would be a zone totally off limits to life as we know it. I said early on that I thought they should have loaded up the concrete trucks and poured the concrete in and over the mess, to avoid anymore uncontrolled leaks.

I wonder if they were trying to save the reactors for later use, early on? Once they went to the salt water, the reactors were toast. They seem like the Keystone Cops at this point. It isn't funny, for sure.

We don't know how much or if at all, they conferred with other companies etc. about the problems they were and are having. We only know what some of these half wits have been telling us, however true or false. I want to believe the government people more than the private industry people, but not sure that reasoning is sound either.

Why didn't they bring power into the site before now? Aren't there huge portable generators that could be brought in? As I have heard said for some days now, there is no book on how to deal with this situation. I wonder why not? Such a mess and growing mistrust.

Difficult to watch, isn't it? I hope these jokers get their acts together and come up with more backup plans for future use.

ChrisH
03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Cable reaches Japan nuclear plant
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12779512

pomtzu
03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Supposedly they are attempting to run in electricity and get the pumps working again, and if their pumps don't work, the U.S. has pumps on the way. But is it already too late??? - who knows, since we know only what they care to reveal to the public. I also heard early on, of the plan to dump in sand, and then concrete on top to that. Wonder why that never happened before it got so out of control?
I seriously don't know how ANY nuclear plant is allowed to start up and go on line, without a backup for the backup for the backup, and on and on, when each one fails. Isn't there some agency that takes into consideration ALL of the worst case scenarios?

kokopup
03-17-2011, 08:02 PM
pomtzu

Supposedly they are attempting to run in electricity and get the pumps working again, and if their pumps don't work, the U.S. has pumps on the way. But is it already too late??? - who knows, since we know only what they care to reveal to the public. I also heard early on, of the plan to dump in sand, and then concrete on top to that. Wonder why that never happened before it got so out of control?
I seriously don't know how ANY nuclear plant is allowed to start up and go on line, without a backup for the backup for the backup, and on and on, when each one fails. Isn't there some agency that takes into consideration ALL of the worst case scenarios?

Backup plans, yes these are the same people that wrote the plans for deep oil drilling. There is someone looking the other way, so someone can make the big bucks.

Karen

The whole area needn't be a dead zone - people moved back to Hiroshima 6 months after the bombing, and that has been highly studied of course. But before anything, they need to control those reactors, which is looking less and less likely.

There is a major difference in an atom bomb and a reactor that melts down. The bomb gives off radiation only at the source of the blast and then it is over.
The radiation from this source will diminish very rapidly. Most of the people that were injured or died were injured from the intense flash of xray and neutrons given off by the bomb. With these reactors we have an active source of radiation with a half life of 700 million years. Even the spent fuel is still an active radiation source and it has a half life of 159,200 years. I think
that japan has a problem that will last much more than 6 months.

I spent 3 months at a neutron reactor in Georgia when I qualified the Saturn
telemetry for the Apollo project. There is a dead zone around this reactor that
will really get your attention. Every living thing for as far as you can see is dead. It looks like a forest fire consumed every thing. I'm talking about trees that only had a charred stump sticking out. The reactor is in a pool of heavy water when it is not running and when it is raised out of the heavy water it gives off neutrons that kills everything in sight. We tested in lead lined underground bunkers or we would have died instantly from the neutrons.

wombat2u2004
03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

I wonder how much Charlie Sheen donated ....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ChrisH
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
February 2nd 2011
In Pictures: Inside the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12339804)

Cincy'sMom
03-18-2011, 07:20 AM

I heard on the radio yesterday that only $49 million had been donated to the Red Cross so far. Sounds like a lot to me, but I guess that is a lot lower then historically donated in the 6 days following a major event like this.

My friend has made it Tokyo. Hopefully she will be back in the US soon.

ChrisH
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Japan earthquake/tsunami relief donations (http://blog.givewell.org/2011/03/11/japan-earthquaketsunami-disaster-relief-donations/)

Why Donors Should Wait Before Giving to Japan (http://philanthropy.com/blogs/world-view/why-donors-should-wait-before-giving-to-japan/196)

Are charities taking advantage of the urge to help Japan? (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/are-charities-taking-advantage-of-the-urge-to-help-japan/article1946825/)

On a personal note, so far, I have only given to animal charities, simply because I think creatures are often the last to be thought of in such horrible situations.

pomtzu
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
February 2nd 2011
In Pictures: Inside the Chernobyl nuclear power plant (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12339804)

Thanks for posting. I was surprised tho, to see that some work is going on inside the building. I thought no one could go anywhere the place.

I heard on the radio yesterday that only $49 million had been donated to the Red Cross so far. Sounds like a lot to me, but I guess that is a lot lower then historically donated in the 6 days following a major event like this.

I heard it said that it is due to the Japanese economy being what it is, since they are a big player in the world market. Compare that to Haiti, and it certainly does make sense. None the less, they still need help, and the donations so far have been pretty meager.

smokey the elder
03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure why this is. Maybe because they're seen as a First World country, and wealthy. The US didn't get a lot of foreign donations after Katrina, for example. I don't think there's the push to donate like there was with Haiti. Who knows?

I see now that they are planning to entomb the reactors after all.

Kirsten
03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
February 2nd 2011

Wow, these pictures are truly haunting!

momoffuzzyfaces
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
One thing that concerns me is they say that the radioactive stuff heading for the US won't hurt us. But what about the animals and fish? They are way smaller than humans. Will it hurt them? :( And will it harm any plant life? We do need safe food after all.

Kirsten
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
One thing that concerns me is they say that the radioactive stuff heading for the US won't hurt us. But what about the animals and fish? They are way smaller than humans. Will it hurt them? :( And will it harm any plant life? We do need safe food after all.

I just read that there was a higher radiation in California today.

I'm sure we'll have to be careful as far as the food is concerned, especially fish. After all, most of the fallout hit the Pacific, didn't it? I remember that in 1986, after Chernobyl, we weren't allowed to drink milk, and lots of our harvests had to be destroyed. The mushrooms in the south of Germany are still slightly radiated, same goes for the wild pigs in that area. And it's 25 years ago!

I'm also very worried about the wildlife in the affected areas.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I just read that there was a higher radiation in California today.

I'm sure we'll have to be careful as far as the food is concerned, especially fish. After all, most of the fallout hit the Pacific, didn't it? I remember that in 1986, after Chernobyl, we weren't allowed to drink milk, and lots of our harvests had to be destroyed. The mushrooms in the south of Germany are still slightly radiated, same goes for the wild pigs in that area. And it's 25 years ago!

I'm also very worried about the wildlife in the affected areas.
I also worry about pets!!! My brother lives in Las Vegas so they are bound to get some of it. Whatever California gets, goes over the mountain to his place. He has 9 cats. :love:

Kirsten
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I also worry about pets!!! My brother lives in Las Vegas so they are bound to get some of it. Whatever California gets, goes over the mountain to his place. He has 9 cats. :love:

On tv, they showed pictures of a shelter where refugees could bring their pets with them. But it's only one of many shelters that allows pets.

Found some articles related to that subject:

Choosing Between Your Pet or Shelter: a Reality for People in Japan (http://de.eonline.com/uberblog/the_awful_truth/b231473_choosing_between_your_pet_shelter.html)

Japan's Animals Are in Peril (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendy-diamond/japans-animals-are-in-per_b_837119.html)

Hope your brother and his 9 cats will be safe!

Karen
03-18-2011, 04:12 PM
The radiation hitting the lower States now is very, very slight, and nothing to really worry about. Germany is much closer to Chernobyl than the US is to the West Coast of the US. For example, Los Angeles is 5363 miles or 8629.07 Kilometers from Fukishima, but Frankfurt Germany to Kiev Ukraine is just 983 miles or 1581.65 Kilometers - so 3 times closer. What hit California was only trace amounts, and the mountains between LA and your brother in Los Angeles would likely take most of even that trace amount.

CountryWolf07
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike was telling me that Japan has been hiding information within their nuclear power plants, is that true? I don't know what to think. And that also, Japan does not want our help, also. I keep thinking about the whole WWII thing - how Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and how we bombed Japan twice.. can someone clear it up? :confused:

Karen
03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Mike was telling me that Japan has been hiding information within their nuclear power plants, is that true? I don't know what to think. And that also, Japan does not want our help, also.

The company in charge of the power plants has a history of hiding information from the public. They are continuing to do so. But yesterday the Japanese government said they would accept help from other countries for their nuclear situation.

I keep thinking about the whole WWII thing - how Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, and how we bombed Japan twice.. can someone clear it up? :confused:

The war with Japan was a complex matter. Yes, it began with their bombing Pearl Harbor, but they continued to bomb ship and targets throughout the war, including the famous Kamikazee pilots, who would run a suicide mission, and fly their planes into "enemy" (American and Allied) ships. There was plenty of bombing on both sides. The war essentially ended when we (America) dropped two atomic bombs on Japan - Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

CountryWolf07
03-18-2011, 05:12 PM
The company in charge of the power plants has a history of hiding information from the public. They are continuing to do so. But yesterday the Japanese government said they would accept help from other countries for their nuclear situation.

The war with Japan was a complex matter. Yes, it began with their bombing Pearl Harbor, but they continued to bomb ship and targets throughout the war, including the famous Kamikazee pilots, who would run a suicide mission, and fly their planes into "enemy" (American and Allied) ships. There was plenty of bombing on both sides. The war essentially ended when we (America) dropped two atomic bombs on Japan - Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Ah! Now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up, Karen! :)

Grace
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
A survivor has been found -

TOKYO (AP) — Military search teams pulled a young man from a crushed house Saturday, eight days after an earthquake and tsunami wrecked northeast Japan.

The young man, found in the rubble in Kesennuma city, was too weak to talk and was immediately transferred to a nearby hospital, said a military official. The official, who declined to give his name because he was not authorized to speak to the media, had no other details.

Kyodo, the Japanese news agency, said the man was in his 20s.

The rescue is the latest and one of the few after the March 11 disaster, as the power of the tsunami, triggered by the magnitude-9 earthquake, likely pulled many people out to sea.

The National Police Agency raised the death toll Saturday, reporting that 7,197 people had died — exceeding the deaths from the 1995 Kobe earthquake. Another 10,905 were reported missing, the police agency said.

RICHARD
03-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I am sorry to repeat this but....

I went thru a 6.8 EQ that lasted about 20-30 seconds

The Japanese people are getting AFTERSHOCKS in the 6.0 range everyday. The 9.0 quake was to have lasted 5 minutes.

Stand in the middle of a room and run back and forth for 5 minutes crashing into furniture.

I know the radioactivity is a major issue at the moment?

But there are thousands of people who are so shell shocked, the sound of a large truck rumbling by will make them instantly panic and have flashbacks about the original quake.

Please remember and pray for them also.

kokopup
03-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I can see how Radiation might get higher on the west coast that they might expect. During WW2 the Japanese were able to launch balloons from their beaches that set forest on fire on the west coast using the Jet stream as it's rapid transit for their balloons bombs. There were confirmed deaths in Oregon from these bombs.

ChrisH
03-20-2011, 07:08 AM
A survivor has been found -

Japan news agency withdraws miracle rescue story (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/19/3168389.htm?section=world)

Karen
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
It is still ongoing, yesterday's news seemed bad, but at least today they have restored power to one of the reactors.

The other news is much worse, they have dug down a couple inches 50 kilometers away in several spots, and found very high radiation. This is very bad, as the areas around there have many farms, and grow a lot of Japan's produce.

It is just terribly scary, and even if it isn't in the forefront of the news, Japan will be dealing with this for many, many years to come. And even the damage from the earthquake and tsunami will take time and care to repair, the nuclear situation is just making it more tragic.

smokey the elder
03-22-2011, 01:39 PM
(geek hat on)
The problem with radioactivity is, it depends on which isotope. Iodine 131 is the stuff that goes to the thyroid. This stuff has a half life of 8 days. So even if it did get into fish, it would decay rapidly to inert (stable) elements.

On the other hand, you have strontium 90, which has a half-life of 28.8 years; and cesium 137, about 30 years. Sr 90 is the isotope which is like calcium and goes into the bones; and Cs 137 is in the sodium group. These are what made the milk dangerous after Chernobyl. It is the longer half-life isotopes that are the worst, especially since they like to get into the system and hang around, causing great amounts of damage.

(geek hat off)

pomtzu
03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I don't think the U.S should be in a panic state over any radiation that might reach us. Sure, none would be ideal, but the small amounts that could get here are certainly not going to be a threat to the food and water supply and our lives - IMO. I've had enough x-rays in my lifetime for dozens of people, and I'm not glowing yet, and I'm certain I won't die from radiation poisoning. The U.S. needs to be a lot more worried about the pesticides that we use - the amounts that get into the soil and water and food that we eat. I'm a lot more concerned about that, than the possibility of somewhat elevated radiation levels from the Japan disaster.

smokey the elder
03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I found this incredible graphic showing the amount of radiation you get from different sources. http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Kirsten
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Now they say Plutonium is leaking, they detected neutron beams several times, which means that now the really bad stuff is set free. Things are getting pretty scary! :(

The article I read was a German one, otherwise I would post a link. And on German tv, they say that radiation in Fukushima has never been as high as today...

Karen
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
The news grows continually worse. NHK right now says they have detected cesium in the soil 50 km from the plant, 5 cm down, that is over 1000 times normal.

This is just bad, and the fact that the Japanese just had people evacuate within 30 km makes this even more horrifying. I am glad the American government told every American within 50 miles (about 80 km) and I hope many Japanese heard that and moved away also.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
They are saying that dangerous levels are reaching Tokyo now and some of the water is contaminated as well as some foods. :(

smokey the elder
03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
They found cesium? Uh, oh that's not good.

I read the I 131 in the water has dropped to under 100 (it was 210 yesterday) and is safe for babies again.

I would think they could use ion exchange (chloride for iodide) to remove the iodine. I think a simple Brita filter would work; just store it for awhile in a thick walled plastic container once it's used. (Just like kitty litter after iodine treatment for hyperthyroid cats. It's the same isotope.)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Another thing has been bothering me. They say the water is not safe for children to drink but ok for adults. What about women who are pregnant? or breast feeding babies? Would the radiation in the water the moms drink filter down, so to speak, to the babies? :love:

Karen
03-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Another thing has been bothering me. They say the water is not safe for children to drink but ok for adults. What about women who are pregnant? or breast feeding babies? Would the radiation in the water the moms drink filter down, so to speak, to the babies? :love:

If it is not safe for children, they usually tell pregnant or nursing mothers to avoid it as well. They do say, though, that it is better to drink it if that's the only choice you have, as dehydration can be dangerous for pregnant women. Frankly, given all the misinformation and obfuscation the Japanese government and TEPCO have done, I would have any pregnant or nursing women anywhere near the plant have gone to visit relatives in the South, or made any excuse to not stay.

lizbud
03-28-2011, 09:50 AM
The tsunami wave was 4 stories high. I just can't imagine the horror
of those trapped in their hospital beds.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/28/japan.tsunami.hospital/index.html?hpt=C1

cassiesmom
04-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Can I just gently rant for a moment? I heard a woman say last night that she was not contributing to aid for Japan because of how cruel the "Japs" were to "our boys" during World War II. I was surprised by that. I just kept quiet because I couldn't think how to answer.

They're still having big problems with the nuclear power plant. I wonder what is going to happen with that over the long term.

Karen
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I hope they get things under control there soon, but don't see it happening anytime soon, sadly. I hope most people left the area who could.

There are always women who will find ways to hang on to hate, thankfully, humans rarely live over 100 years, so it won't last forever!

pomtzu
04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Can I just gently rant for a moment? I heard a woman say last night that she was not contributing to aid for Japan because of how cruel the "Japs" were to "our boys" during World War II. I was surprised by that. I just kept quiet because I couldn't think how to answer.

I'm not surprised by this at all. I'm surprised that we haven't heard more of the same thing. I'm certain that many people feel that way, especially if they lost friends or family in the war. Does that make them right??? - of course not - but I can understand the feelings behind it. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Like our dropping two atomic bombs on them was all sweetness and light!!! :love:

I look at it like probably most of their service men were like ours; just following orders from their leaders. :love:

sasvermont
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I heard on the news just moments ago, that a dog was found floating on a roof top, in the ocean. It looks fairly healthy. I wonder how it could have lasted so long without good water and food? Maybe it was relocated and wasn't on that roof top the entire time. No one will ever know. The dog was cute.

Karen
04-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Wow! Brave little one, glad he's rescued!

Karen
04-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Here's the video (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-in/8422323/Tsunami-surviving-dog-rescued-after-three-weeks-at-sea.html) - and it looks like there was plenty of debris around him so he probably scavenged food from that. What a cutie, definitely at least part Shiba Inu!

sasvermont
04-01-2011, 05:51 PM
I watched the video as it played on my TV just now, too. Such a sweet doggie. It didn't look starved at all. There was a ton of "stuff" floating around so I can assume there must have been a fridge or 50, floating in the same location...gosh...it was a huge lump of wood etc. just floating.......but just one dog.

I hope the dog finds it's family. Wouldn't that be nice?

Karen
04-01-2011, 09:05 PM
If its family survived, I am sure they will be reunited, but in any case, I am sure he will have a home, he looks like a real sweetheart. With so many still missing and presumed dead, finding any creature surviving is great.

wombat2u2004
04-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I just received this vid. You'd have to have a fast car to get away from this.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1301163352

Grace
04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
That is unbelievable!!

ChrisH
04-11-2011, 03:50 AM
https://www.facebook.com/AnimalRescueJapan

We just had another big earthquake, with the epicentre in Ibaraki and tsunami warnings are in place. Please say a prayer that people and animals will all be OK. (It ranged from level 3 to a level 6 on the Shindo scale and was 7.1Magnitude in Fukushima & Ibaraki)

phesina
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Prayers for all those people and animals. So heartbreaking.. things just keep happening over and over.

ChrisH
04-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Stars unite for Japan's Earthquake Relief Effort (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVJyv9K71c)