PDA

View Full Version : R. I. P. Civic Arena

davidpizzica
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
A vote was taken a couple days ago to tear down the Civic Arena, a.k.a. Mellon Arena, a.k.a "the Igloo". The Penguins want to get rid of a piece of Pittsburgh sports history to put up another shopping complex. A committee tried to get it registered as an historic landmark, but the arena didn't qualify. So ends an era in Pittsburgh sports history.

momcat
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
How sad is that? I'm not any kind of sports fan but it always makes me feel sad when a well known, established landmark like this is forced to bite the dust. What a loss for the community and the fans!

JenBKR
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I agree with you, it is sad. I have a lot of memories of the Igloo. However, if they did keep it, I am not sure what they would do with it. If they are going to tear it down anyway, they should make it all parking. Hubby and I went to a Pens game the other night and there is NOT enough parking.

cassiesmom
03-10-2011, 09:37 PM
I feel your pain, David P. There are two of those in Chicago, the Chicago Stadium and Comiskey Park, that are now parking lots. The Bulls and Blackhawks now play at the United Center, and t he Sox now play at U.S. Cellular Field. The newer ones are just not the same.