PDA

View Full Version : Dog Gets Pace Maker!

Freedom
03-06-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/hail-our-four-legged-friend-monty/story-e6frfhqf-1226016752410 (Nice photo!)(Of course, Monty is a Bichon! LOL!)

Monty is the first dog to be given a pacemaker implantation.

AUSTRALIANS are by and large a nation of animal lovers.

We acknowledge the value pets bring to our community; the joy and companionship they provide to families and individuals.

Many animals also play a vital role in hospitals and convalescent homes across the country, providing comfort to the lonely and infirm.

Then there are the Customs sniffer dogs, police dogs, guide dogs for the blind and rescue dogs in times of natural disasters.

That is why we applaud the love and attention that has been heaped upon Monty, the bichon frise with the dodgy ticker.

Thanks to his landmark pacemaker implantation, Monty has now been given a new lease on life.

Forget the cost, Monty's owners reckon he is worth every cent.

More detail, and more photos, HERE:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/monty-the-dog-given-pacemaker-for-life-threatening-heart-condition/story-e6frf7kx-1226016826231

kaycountrygal
03-06-2011, 01:28 PM
I read that it cost $4000 and doggy was 12 yrs old. I guess it's a good idea IF the dog has a good quality of life after the implant. If he has complications and is in and out of vet for tests etc and doesnt feel good, then I dont know if it would be worth it for the dog's sake.

Would I do it for my dogs? Perhaps. IF I was very sure that dog would not have complications and would be able to live a normal life for several more years, I would certainly give it serious thought.

Would you do it for your dog/s? ... Kay in NC

pomtzu
03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Would I do it for my dogs? Perhaps. IF I was very sure that dog would not have complications and would be able to live a normal life for several more years, I would certainly give it serious thought.

Would you do it for your dog/s? ... Kay in NC

I have to agree with what you said, Kay. If the dog was in reasonably good health otherwise, and was young enough to be expected to live at least several more years, then I probably would if the $$ was available. For my 2 now tho, I don't think it would be something that I would consider. Sparky is 12, has a heart murmur, a bad knee, prone to gum infections. Myndi is 15, has a heart murmur, 2 bad knees, had a bleeding ulcer last year that nearly killed her, low thyroid levels, and now has kidney disease. No way I would even consider her for a candidate - and of course my vet wouldn't either.

Freedom
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Sure, even for the rather routine, basic cataract surgery my Sugar had, they do a complete work up first to ensure the dog is healthy and there is nothing else going on.

Bichons have a life span of 16 to 18 years, so at 12 Monty has plenty of time to enjoy his second chance!

Since it's the first time this has been done on a dog, I'm not sure the vet could advise you there won't be complications. Certainly they hope there won't be!