PDA

View Full Version : Zoey is in heat ... upset!

happylabs
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
So I kept telling my daughter and her boyfriend that they should get Zoey spayed soon. She is just about 6 months old now. They haven't had it done yet and now she is in heat.

The thing that bugs me is I told them not to get a dog in the beginning because they are both in college and do not have a lot of money. Although I do love Zoey to pieces now that she is here, well not at my house.

So my daughter calls me this morning and says she isn't bringing Zoey over and she isn't telling me why because I would say "I told you so". I knew right away. I said she's in heat. She said yes. I asked what they were going to do about it and she said Justin says he doesn't have the money right now to get her spayed. Why don't kids listen to us? Dogs cost money.

I don't really have the extra money to give them to get her spayed either. Apparently their vet will not let them do a payment plan.

Oh I am just so frustrated with them right now.

Craftlady
03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Check with your local shelter for spay/neuter clinics. Our shelter hooked up with clinic in Cincinnati Ohio cost is $25 to $45 depends on program offered.

pomtzu
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately with kids, they think they know it all, and seldom listen to advice. Hey - I was a kid once, and I was that way too. Make a mistake??? - well just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on, and hope that if the same situation presents it self again, you will handle it more wisely.

So the damage is done and you can't "un-heat" Zoey. Just hope they watch her like a hawk, and that she doesn't present everyone with a litter of pups.

And tell your daughter to just put away a couple of $$ each week, so that the money will be there and Zoey can be spayed before she goes into heat the next time. Just give up that fast food or that cup of coffee and donut for a few weeks, and the money that's needed will be there. :p

Taz_Zoee
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
I was going to suggest a low cost clinic as well. The shelter I volunteer at has one and that's where I got Paizly spayed.

If they can't afford to get her fixed that worries me, because what if (god forbid) something else happened to her and she needed to see the vet? Can either of them qualify for Care Credit? I have that since Taz's surgery and its a life saver. For the animals and my dentist visits.

Well, I hope everything works out in the end and you don't have puppy pictures to show us. Especially since Zoey is still a puppy herself.

Vette
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Just hope they watch her like a hawk, and that she doesn't present everyone with a litter of pups.

My thoughts exactly

*LabLoverKEB*
03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
See if they can apply and get approved for Care Credit. Also, check out your local animal shelters/humane societies, they tend to have very low-cost spay and neuter clinics.

I totally understand your frustration, even though I am the same age as your daughter, lol! Good luck and keep us updated! :)

Freedom
03-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm fairly sure you can't spay a dog in heat anyway. I think you have to wait, but I don't know how long -- 6 weeks? A quick phone call to a vet will clear this up.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Dogs and cats can be spayed during their heat cycle, however it will be more complex because during the heat cycle, the ovaries and uterus are swollen and their is a greater risk for more bleeding during the procedure. :)

Karen
03-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Helen, as long as they are very careful about never leaving her outside unattended, and don't take her to dog parks during her heat, she should come out of it okay, and living with this may be just the incentive to put aside a few dollars a week, as suggested, and get her spayed before it happens again.

kaycountrygal
03-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Dogs and cats can be spayed during their heat cycle, however it will be more complex because during the heat cycle, the ovaries and uterus are swollen and their is a greater risk for more bleeding during the procedure. :)

Yep, You're right. My LilGirl went into heat approx five days before her appt to be spayed. I called and was told basically what you said above. I went ahead and had it done and it turned out ok for her. Hmmm, I think (not sure) that I had to pay a bit more because she was in heat at time of spaying... Kay in NC

kaycountrygal
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but my guess would be that your daughter and boyfriend waste money every week, if not every day. If they got their act together, I think they could save the money to have dog spayed. I understand your frustration. Dogs ARE expensive if you take care of them the way that needs to be done. She/they should have listened to momma.. but there are a lot of "should have"s in the world. Hope doggy doesnt get preggy... Kay in NC

happylabs
03-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone! They have a completely fenced in yard and you cannot even see into other yards. I am not really worried about her getting pregnant. She is very sheltered by them, they take excellent care of her and she is loved more than most people's children. I am mostly upset that the boyfriend says he does not have the money to have her spayed since he is the one who purchased her. I am a little disappointed because he is a few years older than Rachael and I thought he was more responsible. He has a lot going on right now though. In addition to going to college full time he is renovating his mother's rental property and he also has another job. I think he just has a full plate right now.

I called my vet's office. They can spay her while she is in heat and they did not express any issues with her having it done while she is in heat. The boyfriend uses a different vet that is very reputable so I am sure it will all work out in the end.

I am a very emotional mom. Zoe is here now with my daughter and we are having a wonderful afternoon. She doesn't seem to be bleeding all that much. She is such a love! :love:

MonicanHonda
03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Just as long as they watch her like a hawk, they're fine. Vets aren't usually excited to do a heat spay but they usually will... and honeslty, it's good that she went through one heat before being spayed. It gets the hormones flowing and allows the growth plates to close sooner, causing shorter bones that are less likely to be weak and break. I'll always make sure to let my dogs go through at least one heat before spaying.

Taz_Zoee
03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Spaying a dog in heat is usually more expensive. I say let her run this cycle and then get her spayed. Cheaper for them and its not going to hurt Zoey, since it sounds like she won't have access to a male.

BUT, on that note.....my friends dog was in heat and in their own backyard. They caught a male dog JUMPING their fence coming out of the yard!!:eek: Sure enough, she got pregnant. Male dogs can smell a dog in heat from a long ways away. So maybe mention this to them and just have them not leave Zoey in the backyard unattended.

cassiesmom
03-05-2011, 05:43 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw the title of this thread was something others already wrote: hmmm, I wonder if your vet would give you a referral to a low-cost spaying program. That way you could be referred to one that your vet knows is dependable. even though it's low-cost I would still want it done by a skilled provider. I would not want anything going wrong.

kaycountrygal
03-05-2011, 06:05 PM
BUT, on that note.....my friends dog was in heat and in their own backyard. They caught a male dog JUMPING their fence coming out of the yard!!:eek: Sure enough, she got pregnant. Male dogs can smell a dog in heat from a long ways away. So maybe mention this to them and just have them not leave Zoey in the backyard unattended.

YES, I thought of that also. Zoey could be inside the yard/fence and male dog might jump over.

krazyaboutkatz
03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I sure hope that everything will work out and that she'll be able to be spayed after her heat cycle is over. I too would be worried that other male dogs would be able to smell her being in heat and they'd try to get to her.

Your daughter and her boyfriend should've been putting money aside when they first adopted her. Then they would've had enough money to spay her when she was old enough. I hope they learned their lesson. Good luck.:)

luvofallhorses
03-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Where are you located? There has to be some low-cost spay and neuter clinics near by. :)

happylabs
03-05-2011, 11:18 PM
I sure hope that everything will work out and that she'll be able to be spayed after her heat cycle is over. I too would be worried that other male dogs would be able to smell her being in heat and they'd try to get to her.

Your daughter and her boyfriend should've been putting money aside when they first adopted her. Then they would've had enough money to spay her when she was old enough. I hope they learned their lesson. Good luck.:)

I talked to them and they are going to have her spayed in April when my daughter has another break from college.

The boyfriend smokes and I have asked him if he would consider quitting. I mentioned today that he could be saving money to take care of Zoey if he would quit smoking.

Their yard is fenced in such that another dog couldn't get into the yard thankfully.

Thanks again all for your thoughts. I really appreciate it! :)

cassiesmom
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Two questions, how long does a dog's heat cycle last? And how far apart are they? (((HUGS))) for Zoey and I"m glad her people are making plans for her spaying next month.

Cataholic
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
and honeslty, it's good that she went through one heat before being spayed. It gets the hormones flowing and allows the growth plates to close sooner, causing shorter bones that are less likely to be weak and break. I'll always make sure to let my dogs go through at least one heat before spaying.

This is a myth. There are a HOST of reasons why a dog should be spayed before it gets its first heat, the biggest one, by far, to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I spent three minutes, and found this information readily available:

*In the United States, most dogs are spayed between 5 and 8 months of age. Many animal shelters and veterinarians are starting to spay female animals at a younger age, even at 2 months. This early spaying does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals spayed early than those spayed at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals spayed at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those spayed when they are older.

Then this:

•If your dog has not yet had her first heat, consider having her spayed before that occurs and you can avoid the complications that arise if she is spayed while in heat or that can occur if you wait until after she has been in heat to have her spayed. A common misconception lingers that a dog should not be spayed before her first heat cycle. There are actual health benefits, such as the decreased likelihood of certain types of cancer, if a dog is spayed before her first heat. An infection of the uterus called pyometra can also occur in dogs and cats a few weeks after their heat cycle ends. If the pet is spayed before her first heat cycle, the possibility of this life-threatening condition can be eliminated. The spay surgery can generally be performed at any point after a dog is 8 weeks old, though about 4 months of age is often considered the ideal time.

Two separate sites, biased? I think not. But, in case you are not convinced, THIS material is straight from a BREEDERS site.

http://www.breeders.net/k9-articles/2010/06/dogs-in-heat/
When should I spay my dog?

If you are not planning on breeding your dog, it is best to have her spayed prior to her first heat cycle. Doing so is protective against many types of cancer later in life. Many shelters insist on spaying all dogs before placement so spaying may be done as early as six to eight weeks of age. At traditional veterinary clinics, it is much more common to spay at six months.

One common myth is that a dog will somehow mature better if she is allowed to go through one heat cycle prior to being spayed. In fact, there is no such advantage, and waiting to spay your dog actually puts her at a disadvantage because she is at a much higher risk of developing mammary cancers later in life.

Another myth is that your dog should be allowed to have one litter before spaying so she will be a better pet or so your children can experience “the miracle of life.” Again, not true. There is no advantage to having your dog reproduce before spaying her, and your children might be much better served by spending time working at a shelter to experience the misery of abuse and neglect suffered by unwanted puppies.

Here is a sad fact from the Atlanta Humane Society, one which is mirrored at most other shelters in large cities: “20 tons of dead animal bodies produced in one year in the Atlanta Area alone.” The moral of the story? Don’t breed your dog unless you have good reason to, such as furthering the breed for show or competition purposes by conscientiously and responsibly pairing dogs who are prime examples of the breed standard.

Back to the OP- I know she is your daughter's dog, and she is still trying to make her way out in this big world, but, please continue to do what you can to see that Zoe gets into the clinic!!!

happylabs
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Two questions, how long does a dog's heat cycle last? And how far apart are they? (((HUGS))) for Zoey and I"m glad her people are making plans for her spaying next month.

Hi Elyse. They go into heat twice a year. It can last 3 weeks but they do not bleed the entire time.

She will accept those hugs. She is a wiggler and a cuddler and a big licker! :)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
This is a myth. There are a HOST of reasons why a dog should be spayed before it gets its first heat, the biggest one, by far, to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

I spent three minutes, and found this information readily available:

*In the United States, most dogs are spayed between 5 and 8 months of age. Many animal shelters and veterinarians are starting to spay female animals at a younger age, even at 2 months. This early spaying does not affect the growth rate, and there are no appreciable differences in skeletal, physical, or behavioral development between those animals spayed early than those spayed at a more traditional age. It must be remembered that younger animals may need different anesthetics and are more prone to hypothermia (lower than normal body temperature) during surgery. As long as procedures are modified to account for these differences, early neutering is very safe. In fact, animals spayed at a younger age often have faster recoveries than those spayed when they are older.

Then this:

•If your dog has not yet had her first heat, consider having her spayed before that occurs and you can avoid the complications that arise if she is spayed while in heat or that can occur if you wait until after she has been in heat to have her spayed. A common misconception lingers that a dog should not be spayed before her first heat cycle. There are actual health benefits, such as the decreased likelihood of certain types of cancer, if a dog is spayed before her first heat. An infection of the uterus called pyometra can also occur in dogs and cats a few weeks after their heat cycle ends. If the pet is spayed before her first heat cycle, the possibility of this life-threatening condition can be eliminated. The spay surgery can generally be performed at any point after a dog is 8 weeks old, though about 4 months of age is often considered the ideal time.

Two separate sites, biased? I think not. But, in case you are not convinced, THIS material is straight from a BREEDERS site.

http://www.breeders.net/k9-articles/2010/06/dogs-in-heat/
When should I spay my dog?

If you are not planning on breeding your dog, it is best to have her spayed prior to her first heat cycle. Doing so is protective against many types of cancer later in life. Many shelters insist on spaying all dogs before placement so spaying may be done as early as six to eight weeks of age. At traditional veterinary clinics, it is much more common to spay at six months.

One common myth is that a dog will somehow mature better if she is allowed to go through one heat cycle prior to being spayed. In fact, there is no such advantage, and waiting to spay your dog actually puts her at a disadvantage because she is at a much higher risk of developing mammary cancers later in life.

Another myth is that your dog should be allowed to have one litter before spaying so she will be a better pet or so your children can experience “the miracle of life.” Again, not true. There is no advantage to having your dog reproduce before spaying her, and your children might be much better served by spending time working at a shelter to experience the misery of abuse and neglect suffered by unwanted puppies.

Here is a sad fact from the Atlanta Humane Society, one which is mirrored at most other shelters in large cities: “20 tons of dead animal bodies produced in one year in the Atlanta Area alone.” The moral of the story? Don’t breed your dog unless you have good reason to, such as furthering the breed for show or competition purposes by conscientiously and responsibly pairing dogs who are prime examples of the breed standard.

Back to the OP- I know she is your daughter's dog, and she is still trying to make her way out in this big world, but, please continue to do what you can to see that Zoe gets into the clinic!!!

Well said, and well researched. :)
To answer the questions about canine heat cycles, puberty occurs at 6-18 months of age, sooner for smaller breeds and later for larger breeds. There are two breeding seasons per year, roughly every 6 months, and may be at any time but typically during spring and fall. The estrus cycle lasts on average 12-21 days, but varies between individual dogs.

MonicanHonda
03-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I can also give you many accredited sites as to why you may want to wait. Everyone has a different view and mine is not incorrect or 'false'.

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/longtermhealtheffectsofspayneuterindogs.pdf

Yes, some cancers may lower because of spaying, but others increase.

Here are some reasons you may not want to spueter

• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis
• increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by
a factor of >5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6-2, a common health problem in dogs with many
associated health problems
• causes urinary “spay incontinence” in 4-20% of female dogs
• increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4
• increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs
spayed before puberty
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

While this is why it may benefit

positive side, spaying female dogs
• if done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most common
malignant tumors in female dogs
• nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would affect about 23% of intact female
dogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs
• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
• removes the very small risk (≤0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumors

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

This is from a lab breeder's website, written by a veterinarian
http://www.littleriverlabs.com/neuter.htm

You will find information for both sides if you look anywhere... to each their own. I'm just telling her from my point of view, nothing is terribly wrong in this situation. Maybe it is to you.

buttercup132
03-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I don't get what the problem is, its their dog not yours and as long as they are going to watch her and not breed her there's no problem.
The dog should go through a first heat cycle and be a year when they are spayed so whether they know or not having no money to get her done is actually better for her.

K9karen
03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
The boyfriend smokes and I have asked him if he would consider quitting. I mentioned today that he could be saving money to take care of Zoey if he would quit smoking:)

No lectures please. I smoke, but I'm a dumb grown adult. Anyway, my point is that I never smoke around Mz Logan. I head outside. I make sure she's wandering around the yard and not close to me. Just an FYI.

MonicanHonda
03-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm glad you know that Karen. I am surprised by people I know who don't realize smoke hurts their pet too.

happylabs
03-08-2011, 05:45 AM
No lectures please. I smoke, but I'm a dumb grown adult. Anyway, my point is that I never smoke around Mz Logan. I head outside. I make sure she's wandering around the yard and not close to me. Just an FYI.

Yes, they smoke outside too. I would take Zoey from them immediately if they didn't. My daughter does not smoke.

Cataholic
03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
@monicahonda- I am not being nasty or mean or argumentative. I don't want a single person reading this thread to come away with thinking it is a good idea to wait to alter their animal.

I wanted to address what you said here:

... and honeslty, it's good that she went through one heat before being spayed. It gets the hormones flowing and allows the growth plates to close sooner, causing shorter bones that are less likely to be weak and break.

That is simply not accurate, from a medical standpoint. It is a long standing myth.

You then posted information that has limited relevance to most animals, again, from a medical standpoint. Absolutely, there are things that happen when one removes an organ from a body- human and animal alike. In fact, the surgery itself poses a risk. I have had a cat die from myocardial infarction, related to a spay. It was a kitten and crushed my mother and I. Had we known, we would not have had Gracie spayed. However, in most cases, the benefits far, far outweigh the risks.

You will find information for both sides if you look anywhere... to each their own. I'm just telling her from my point of view, nothing is terribly wrong in this situation. Maybe it is to you.

I do think it is terribly wrong (not the OP, specifically....). Every week- and I have said this before on here- every week, I house 4 to 5 dogs in my basement, overnight. This is part of the 20-30 dogs moved through Cincinnati that I am a part of. There are many more groups, many more dogs. I take no credit for my part- it is a small part. A very small part. Puppies, old dogs, PB, mixed mutts, you name it. They come from a particular section of KY that is simply horrible in terms of humane treatment of animals. These dogs are hanging on by hours sometimes to life. Why? There are too many animals. Too. Many. Animals. No homes, death by gassing chambers, healthy animals PTS daily. I get- no lie, no exaggeration- 20 or so emails a DAY begging and pleading for animals lives. It breaks my heart every time I delete an email knowing there isn't much hope for that dog. It keeps me up at night. It makes me cry in my basement, alone, knowing these 4-5 dogs are the 'lucky' ones. I can't save them all. No one person can.

But, what I can do is scream loud and often-ALTER YOUR PET. Do it NOW. Do it because it is the ONLY way we can turn things around. Every single one of us needs to be on board with the pet overpopulation. Accidents happen, dogs get out, puppies are born, and dogs die because of that cycle.

Hate me. Call me argumentative, call me a know-it-all, call me unreasonable. Call me a radical. Call me whatever you want to call me.

Just let me know if I can call YOU when I need the next litter of puppies saved from the gassing chambers.

Taz_Zoee
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Their yard is fenced in such that another dog couldn't get into the yard thankfully.

My friends thought the same thing about their yard. I'm just saying.....please make sure they are very careful, that's all. :)

MonicanHonda
03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
I have to say its not a myth. It's even talked about in my small animal medicine class taught by a professor dvm. But believe as you will. Horses are a larger animal so take them for example. The difference between a gelding and stallion is quite noticeable. But I will agree and say that most dog owners should spueter their dogs because owning an intact dog is a big responsibility. I work quite closely with my humane society so I see it every day. But thats not saying it is healthy. I never once said they shouldn't spay. But that it isn't a end all because she had ONE heat. I believe I also said for them to be extremely watchful. I'm not talking about over population. I'm talking health.

I believe I already told her about a spay during heat. The simple fact was that she is already in heat so its pointless to sit there and criticize the problem. I choose to do what I want with my dogs and was offering insight that there are a few benefits to one heat that is handled responsibly. I see this Outlook on life is not looked upon positively here so ill keep these discussions to my forums where they are.

luvofallhorses
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Having one heat can risk pyometra which is deadly.. not worth it to me. I will never own an unspayed female unless it's a medical reason the dog can't be spayed.. People are entitled to do their own thing though. ;)

MonicanHonda
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Exactly! We are. Delta is spayed, but I will delay doing so with my dogs because spay osteosarcoma is a real thing and I won't watch my dogs die from it like I did Honda.

Vette
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
YES, I thought of that also. Zoey could be inside the yard/fence and male dog might jump over.

Or either dog digging under it. after all its not just male dogs who are persistent. my friends female Boston Terrier dug out underneath the fence an went visiting a male dog several blocks away who was on a dog run. the owner of the male dog unfortunately caught them when they were already tied but got my friends info off the tags an let her know it an than she drove over to get her dog...

happylabs
06-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I thought I would update this post from last year.

Zoey was spayed and all is well with my daughter and the boyfriend.

My daughter has graduated from college and they are now making a life together with their two dogs. They both have good jobs now and Zoey is doing very well. She has a new friend, Javier, who is a miniature Chihuahua. They are buddies now and hang out together and play. I keep bugging my daughter to get some pictures of the two of them together.

Oh, also he quit smoking! Yay! I encouraged him and now I keep telling him how good he is doing every time I see him.

cassiesmom
06-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Many reasons to say: YAY! blessings to your daughter and her boyfriend and hugs to Zoey and Javier! I'm not worried about the photo, because I bet a new one may be taken when Zoey and Javier visit grandmom's house :love: :love:

Cataholic
06-14-2012, 01:15 PM
I LOVE a happy ending! Wonderful news on all counts. :)

happylabs
06-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Many reasons to say: YAY! blessings to your daughter and her boyfriend and hugs to Zoey and Javier! I'm not worried about the photo, because I bet a new one may be taken when Zoey and Javier visit grandmom's house :love: :love:

Oh Javier isn't their dog. He belongs to my daughter's best friend who moved down the block from them. He doesn't like me. He snarls at me. It takes awhile for him to get used to new people. Probably because he is such a tiny little guy. :)

luvofallhorses
06-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Glad to hear she was spayed!!

Jessika
06-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh Javier isn't their dog. He belongs to my daughter's best friend who moved down the block from them. He doesn't like me. He snarls at me. It takes awhile for him to get used to new people. Probably because he is such a tiny little guy. :)

I hope they plan on doing some work with him/socializing him more because that behavior in a large dog poses humongous problems, but is oftentimes overlooked by in smaller dogs because they don't do as much damage. Sorry, pet peeve of mine. :(

I'm VERY glad to hear things are going well for your daughter and her dog, though :)