PDA

View Full Version : The dogs of war - English style

Grace
03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
From the Ministry of Defence website -

As soldiers aren't the only ones who can be injured on operations, the UK has its very own military hospital dedicated to nursing canine casualties back to health.
Soldier and dog

The Defence Animal Centre in Leicestershire has five vets who treat dogs who have been injured whilst on operations, whether they are suffering from blast injuries or have been shot.

Dogs play an extremely important role alongside British forces, as they are able to sniff out roadside bombs and hidden ammunition stashes, but this also means that they are at risk of being hurt by Taliban fighters or IEDs.

Dogs injured in Afghanistan are flown to Camp Bastion, just like human soldiers.

Captain Tom Roffe-Silvester of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps said:

"We try to get the dogs a space on a helicopter with other casualties. Humans take priority but the dogs are rushed back as soon as they possibly can be and are taken to our small vet unit in Camp Bastion."

Two British vets in Camp Bastion can carry out emergency surgery, stabilising badly injured or sick dogs or treating minor limb injuries, but if longer-term treatment is needed they are flown to a veterinary hospital in Germany or to the Defence Animal Centre.

Last month the Defence Animal Centre treated 189 animals who had been injured in Afghanistan and in the UK.

The centre has eight heated kennels, plus 16 others for dogs with an infectious disease, as well as a hydrotherapy pool for pain relief.

lizbud
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
It's very nice that they care for the dogs that have been injured,
but it would be better to have not put them in dangerous situations
in the first place. I know humans have a long history of using "war dogs"
but I think it is wrong to do it. Humans start wars, let them fight them and
leave animals out of it.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
leave animals out of it.

HAH !!!! The armchair politician strikes again.
Allow me to point out to you little Miss Lizbud......I am a veteran of war, you are not. I relied on dogs to save human lives, you did not.
To coin a phrase issued by your educated friends..."If you don't know what you are talking about, then shut your mouth"
You know.....perhaps if you read a book about it....you may know about it.
Waddya reckon ???? ;)

Asiel
03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
leave animals out of it.

I have to disagree with that - I'm one of the biggest dog lovers around and I hurt thinking of dogs being usded in wars. BUT--I also know the services these dogs give to our soldiers, were it not for these dogs many men wouldn't be here today. I know humans start wars and dogs are innocent victims but if dogs could talk they would never choose to leave their men to go back home. Dogs can accomplish so many things that men can't, they're truly man's best friend out in the battlefield. Sad yes, but lots of other things are sad and it still happens.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I have to disagree with that - I'm one of the biggest dog lovers around and I hurt thinking of dogs being usded in wars. BUT--I also know the services these dogs give to our soldiers, were it not for these dogs many men wouldn't be here today. I know humans start wars and dogs are innocent victims but if dogs could talk they would never choose to leave their men to go back home. Dogs can accomplish so many things that men can't, they're truly man's best friend out in the battlefield. Sad yes, but lots of other things are sad and it still happens.

Right on. ;)

Freedom
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Before dogs, way back when, men rode into battle on steeds. Those horses didn't have much choice in the matter, either. :( The only "vetting" they got was to be shot and put out of their misery, and I suspect many suffered for some time before even that minor mercy happened.

Nice to read how the Brits handle the dog situation.

Karen
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Dogs have capabilities human beings do not, and as well as being the best "tool" for the job, provide the added benefit of companionship and an unconditionally loving, nonjudgemental presence as well. These are working dogs, trained for this purpose. I, for one, would more readily trust a dog to alert me to a bomb than a machine that costs millions, is difficult to transport and maintain, and can get clogged with dust or simply malfunction.

And in an emergency, I'd rather trust a dog to find me beneath the rubble or lost in the woods than a person with a flashlight and an inferior sniffer and poor-by-comparison hearing.

I am glad they are being cared for when they get injured, they are veterans as much as the people are.

wombat2u2004
03-15-2011, 10:02 PM
they are veterans as much as the people are.

They don't ask for much. You treat them good, keep them fed and watered, and give them a pat now and again....they will give their life for you.