PDA

View Full Version : Jessica goes for an ultrasound on Tuesday

Killearn Kitties
02-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Our lovely Jessica could use some good thoughts about now. We took her to the vet on Thursday because she had been bringing up a bilious fluid on Wednesday and it had continued overnight. She has been on a renal diet for maybe a year now and it has been enough to control a developing kidney condition. She has a weight check every four weeks to make sure she is not dropping weight. At her last check almost three weeks ago, her weight was constant.

On Thursday the vet found that her abdominal cavity had fluid in it. She also had a heart murmer. She ran a blood test that day and found her liver and kidney values to be good, so we are likely dealing with either a heart condition or cancer. The blood test did show that Jessica was very anaemic.

Having ascertained that her liver and kidneys were OK, the vet gave Jessica an antibiotic and anti-nauseant on Friday. She also got diuretics to try to get rid of some of the fluid. She has been brighter over the weekend and has eaten a little. She seems to be able to digest fish, but even chicken - which normally Jessica would kill for - is making her sick.

On Friday the vet was able to feel that Jessica's spleen was very enlarged, but the ultrasound will show more. Our vet wants to see Jessica again in the morning, and we will do whatever we can to keep her comfortable.

Freedom
02-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Prayers for Jessica. And hugs to you!

krazyaboutkatz
02-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that everything will go well. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Cataholic
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Prayers for you all! I hope it is the lesser of all evils. :(

jenluckenbach
02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Prayers for Jessica. Hoping for a manageable outcome. {{{{HUGS}}}}

rg_girlca
02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for Jessica and {{{{{{HUGS}}}}} for the nervous meowmie.

Karen
02-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Skritches for the pretty girl!

kuhio98
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Gentle hugs for you and Jessica. You both are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

katladyd
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm praying hard for Jessica!:love:

Barbara
02-28-2011, 02:28 AM
Oh Karen, that is just too bad to hear this. I hope so much it turns out to be something that can be treated.
We will all cross our fingers and paws for Jessica!

phesina
02-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Prayers for dear little Jessica and you too.

sana
02-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Hoping everything goes perfectly well. :love:

<<<hugs and prayers>>>

Randi
02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
Karen, I'm so sorry that Jessica is struggling with this. I hope the ultrasound will show it's something that can be treated. At least she hasn't lost weight.

Fister and I will keep our paws and fingers for her and send lots of positive thoughts. :love:

cassiesmom
02-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Prayers for Jessica!

And a candle
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=12785773

Pinot's Mom
03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Paws crossed and prayers on the way for you all. Pinot sends kitty kisses to her friend Jessica.:love:

katladyd
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I am sending prayers and good thoughts to both you and Jessica!:love:

Killearn Kitties
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you all so much for thinking of Jessica.

She had her ultrasound today and it showed neither a heart problem nor cancer. Jessica has severe peritonitis and a lot of general inflammation. They were suspicious that there may be a leakage from the gall bladder. Any treatment would involve hospitalising her, administering a lot of antibiotic, testing the fluid in her abdomen, and taking it from there.

We have thought about it a lot, but in view of the fact that Jessica hates being handled and is at least 18, very possibly 19 or 20, we do not propose to put her through further testing. The way she is just now there is no guarantee that she would last until the results came back. I think it is time to accept that we have to let her go.

She has had several delicious small meals of poached salmon today and she seems reasonably comfortable. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow afternoon.

cassiesmom
03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
(((((HUGS)))))) for Jessica and her meowmie!

gini
03-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Karen, I saw this thread earlier in the day, but I didn't have time to post.
I have just returned and found your latest entry.

My heart goes out to you so much. Oh sure, you are doing what is right and good for her - but what about you? Losing her after all of these years is still huge and I wish I could comfort you somehow.

I will light a candle that she has a gentle passing and that our Phred is right there to ease her entry into the Rainbow Bridge as delicately as possible.

Much love to you.

Pinot's Mom
03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
:(:(:love::love:

jenluckenbach
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Oh gosh, I did not realize her age. How wonderful that she could live this long. But trust me when I say that "I KNOW" that it is never long enough. :(
I am sorry that you have to say good bye. May she goes peacefully.

kuhio98
03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Karen ~ Gentle hugs for you both.
I'm so sorry the news isn't better.

Catty1
03-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Please give Jessica a cuddle and kiss on her forehead from me.:love:

Wishing you both peace.:love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this latest news.:( You are doing the right thing and I hope that she'll go peacefully. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Barbara
03-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Karen,
I am so sorry. What can I say- I know what you are going through.
Sending all the best to you and Alec. She will be forever in your hearts.

phesina
03-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Karen and Jessica, hugs and gentle pets to you. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Medusa
03-02-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm so sorry to read this. My RB Puddy had peritonitis; it's very painful and both my vet and I were surprised that she lived through it, although she was around 10 or 11 when it occurred so she wasn't in really advanced years as Jessica. You're doing the right thing, to be sure, but it's so difficult to let them go. My heart goes out to you.

Randi
03-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Oh Karen, I'm so very sorry. :( It is so hard to say goodbye, but letting Jessica go instead of putting her through more tests and treatment is the right thing to do, considering her age. She has had a good and long life with you and I hope that will be a comfort.

Dear Jessica, I wish you a peaceful journey to the RB. Daisy will be there to greet you. :love:

(((Hugs))) to you and Alec.

ChrisH
03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
:( I am so sorry. {{hugs}}

smokey the elder
03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm so sorry about your precious Jessica. I didn't realize what a senior kittyzen she was!:love:

Killearn Kitties
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM
My girl slipped away very peacefully and is now in the garden beside Daisy. I can't really quite believe it. The house seems strangely empty without her which is strange for a cat that never uttered a sound and spent half her life hiding behind furniture.

Poor Samantha is very out of sorts. She has never been on her own before. :(

smokey the elder
03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Aww, I'm sorry. Now Daisy has company at the RB. They might conspire to send a friend for Samantha.:love:

Prairie Purrs
03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry. We just never have enough time with them, no matter how long they're with us. My heart goes out to you and sweet Samantha.

RIP, beautiful Jessica. Please send purrs of comfort to your family from the RB.

Karen
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Rest in peace, pretty Jessica, you had a good long life and left deep pawprints on many hearts. Watch over your mom, now, and on days when the clouds are as grey as your fur, send her some extra purrs in her dreams so she'll know you are thinking of her.

Barbara
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Jessica is fine now- and I am sure she has met Tigris by now who had a very similar condition.
I am just so sorry for you and poor Samantha.

cassiesmom
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
((((HUGS))))) Killearn Kitties and Samantha.

And a prayer that Samantha will flourish as an "only cat", or that another kitty who needs a home may find the way to you. :love:

pomtzu
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm so sorry that Jessica is gone. As always, no matter how long that they are part of our lives, it's just never long enough.

RIP Jessica, and peace to you Karen. :love:

phesina
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I am so sorry.

Deepest sympathy to you and all who love Jessica. And may she rest in peace waiting at the Bridge.

Freedom
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Just getting back to this today. I had no idea of her age, so never realized this may be the end. What a lot of memories of the times together! Even if lots were of her hiding under furniture, lol.

It is never easy and when a long term family member leaves, there is a hole left behind. Hugs to you at this time.

RIP Jessica, you knew a wonderful life in a PT home, and now you can share some love at RB.

sasvermont
03-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your old gal moving on to RB. She had a good life and lived many years. It was sweet of you to not put her through any more tests etc. It was time for her to meet her buddies at RB. We will all have to do this again or sooner or later.

Sas and her campers :love::love::love::love:

Pinot's Mom
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry.:(

Jessica, Godspeed to the Bridge, play well with Daisy. Karen, Peace, I'm sure she'll stop by soon to tell you she's OK.:love:

Taz_Zoee
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I am so sorry to read about your lovely Jessica. :( While 18 - 20 years is a good long life, its never long enough for those left behind. Take comfort that her and Daisy are together again, and I'm sure Jessica is not hiding behind furniture anymore either.

RIP Jessica

lizbud
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Karen, please accept my deepest sympathy on Jessica's passing.:(

jennielynn1970
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
So sorry to be reading about Jessica's passing. She is at peace now.

Play hard at the Bridge, sweet girl.

HUGS to you, Karen.

kaycountrygal
03-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. No matter how old a cat or dog is, it's hard when they leave us. I believe you will see her again one day. Best wishes. Kay in NC

slick
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
My dear friend:
As you know, I have been out of town and I feel so guilty that I'm emailing you pictures of the Cayman sunset and here you were dealing with this difficult situation. If only I'd known.... :(gosh my eyes are very leaky now.

Rest in Peace dear Jessica. So are, and still are, so much loved by all of us. Reach down at night and softly purr in your meowmie's ear. She needs to know that you are alright.

Big hugs Karen....:love::love::love:

Bengalz
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Karen I am so sorry to hear about Jessica's passing - small consolation to know she had the best home and life with you and her fursibs.

Rest in peace little Jessica - you are so missed:(

Catty1
03-03-2011, 09:37 PM
{{{{hugs}}}}

Sleep softly sweet Jessica.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Karen, I'm sorry that Jessica had to leave you.:( Yes, she had a wonderful long life with you but I know that it was still very hard to let her go.:( I'm sure she's making many new friends up at Rainbow Bridge and I bet that Daisy was there to greet her. I hope that Samantha will be able to cope with being an only kitty. Please give her lots of loving for me. RIP Jessica.:( Please take care. (((HUGS)))

catmandu
03-04-2011, 09:30 AM
That is so sad when we lose a Cat who has been with us for so many yeras , through the good times and the bad, and were always there to cheer us up.
I know that My Senior Angels, Michael, Joseph , Princess , Moose and All Our Other Angels will be there to greet Jessica with so many hugs and purrs, and that the first plate at the King's Buffet would be for Our Lady From Scotland.
:love:
Jessica is such a Wonderful Cat Angel, and we know that she is looking for a spot where you can all be together again in love.
One Fine Day.:love:

Randi
03-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Karen, I send my deepest sympathy to you and Alec - and to Sam, too. Jessica was such a sweet girl and you will of course miss her. The time we have with our kitties is never long enough. :(

I saw what a wonderful life she had in her beautiful garden and how she was being spoiled when she came inside. I'm glad I got to meet her. :)

Dear Jessica, rest in peace - you will be in your mum and dad's hearts forever. :love:

Big ((((hugs))))

Cataholic
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
So deeply sorry. The loss is tremendous, and I send all my spare thoughts and prayers to you. Sweet, grey girl, RIP.

Felicia's Mom
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Karen, I am sorry.
Jessica, have fun at Rainbow Bridge.

sana
03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
oh my gosh...so sorry to hear about poor Jessica's passing away. I didn't turn on this thread for quiet sometime and its so sad to hear that she passed away.. :(:(

Hugs and lots of prayers for you all...:(

Kirsten
03-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Oh Karen, I'm so very sorry to learn about Jessica's passing! I know she had a long life, but we're never ready to let them go. I picture her playing with Daisy at the bridge now, being young and healthy.

R.I.P., sweet Jessica! :love:

Karen, please give Samantha some head-scritchies if she likes to. I hope she'll cope with the situation...

captain
03-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Karen,
My thought and hugs are with you during this difficult time....... Skritchies to Samantha too.

Edwina's Secretary
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Karen,

I am so glad I got to...well meet might not be the right word...but enjoy the sight of your Gorgeous Gray Ladies. They were amusing in their intense look and manner. Their eyes glowed so against their thick gray fur....

Godspeed Jessica as you join your Daisy.

And Samantha...I'm counting on you!

Sonia59
03-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Oh Karen, I am just reading this, so sad :(
Rest in peace lovely grey lady! You reached a wonderful age, although it is never enough for us... What a good idea you had the day you chose Killearn kitties' house as yours :)
I hope Samantha will be fine now.

kb2yjx
03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Karen, like a few others, I am late in reading about Jessica. No matter how old they are, we miss them so much. Sleep softly, sweet Jesscia... Hugs for Karen...

kitten645
03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I am so sorry for your lose. She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge awaiting you. LES. I'm so very very sorry for your sorrow.