PDA

View Full Version : Peregrine Falcons in San Jose, CA 2011 update

Taz_Zoee
02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Clara and her mate, Esteban Colbert (EC), are back in San Jose on the City Hall building and they have their first egg of the season (2/25). She will lay about three more eggs, one every two days. Once the third is layed she will begin what is called "hard incubation" until the eggs hatch.

If you'd like to follow them, here (http://www2.ucsc.edu/scpbrg/nestcamSJ.htm) is the link.

3Catcondo
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I have added to my favorites. I used to follow a falcon cam here in Richmond, but I don't think they have it anymore. It's so interesting. Thanks for sharing!:)

Taz_Zoee
04-05-2011, 09:41 AM
First egg hatched this morning!!! So exciting!!! :D :D

Taz_Zoee
04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
They now have three babies. One more egg to go!! :D

The San Francisco birds have two of the four. Maybe three, but I haven't confirmed the third yet.

Taz_Zoee
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
3 of 4 of the babies have fledged. However, the one female fledged too soon and she did not make a safe landing. RIP Unita. :(
Females are much larger than males so they usually are the last to fledge. I guess she saw her brothers do it and wanted to do it too. The first fledge was actually an accident. The professionals took him back to the roof, since they need to jump off things and cannot gain altitude from the ground.
There is still one male (we are thinking he was the last egg to hatch) still hanging around the nestbox. I'm sure he'll also take flight soon.

Taz_Zoee
05-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't know if anyone is keeping up on this or not. But I just learned that the female eyas in San Francisco flew into a building and also did not make it. So now we are left with 5 males between San Jose and San Francisco.

RIP Ayah