PDA

View Full Version : Silk flowers at a wedding?

catnapper
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey all -
I am working on my design for the wedding centerpieces. I know what I want to do. All I need to decide is if we go fresh of silk.

Fresh is good because:
* they're fresh and fragrant.
* They're elegant.

Silk is good because:
* I can buy flowers here and there along the way on sale. That way I spend a little money at a time instead of all at once.
* I can pre-make the arrangements and not stress the day before trying to make 10 tables worth of arrangements (with three arrangements per table)

I always thought silk was tacky for a wedding, but the practicality of it sounds good to me. Of course I would buy only the realest silk flowers.... not the cheesy cheap ones.

They plan on giving the centerpieces away, so there will be 30 arrangements going home with various people. Will fresh be better for a give-away?

Cataholic
02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Phred sent me beautiful artifical flowers nearly 7 years ago, exactly, for RB Binx. They are beautiful today, though dusty. I even had someone comment on them recently.

Having said that,I am not a huge fan of fresh flowers in this situation. Seems like they truly won't be appreciated, in the hustle and bustle of the shower. Maybe a real arrangment for the center piece, and artifical for the other settings?

pomtzu
02-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Not a darn thing wrong with silk, in fact, I think in many instances they look better than real. They're more practical, less expensive, and something that the guests that receive them, will be able to enjoy for a long time to come. If you want fragrance, you can buy floral fragrances in a spray bottle, and give the arrangements a squirt. Just about every wedding that I have attended or been a part of in the past 10 years or so, have utilized the silk flowers - right down to the bride's bouquet!

A hint to help keep silk arrangements dust free - spray them with hair spray. It really works. I received a beautiful arrangement about 7 or 8 years ago and I did this - and it really works. I just occasionally blow what little dust off that accumulates, and it looks good as new. ;)

ETA:
Another thing you might want to consider, depending on what type of flowers you are planning on using. Instead of ALL silk, add in some dried flowers and/or greens to the arrangements - baby's breath comes to mind right now, but you can get just about anything dried. Just a thought...........

Catty1
02-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I go for the silk. I have seen many silk plants and flowers that I had to touch to see if they were real - and even then I wasn't always sure! I bet you have also.

One idea - if with each silk arrangement there could be a florist water tube stuck in the top with a fragrant rose or something in it, then it would smell nice, but the arrangement would still be lovely after the fresh flower was gone.:)

Karen
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I agree - silk would be fine but have a couple fresh ones for fragrance in each bouquet, that way the flowers will be long-lasting, less expensive and make a nice keepsake, and the bouquets will smell nice but not be overwhelming.

cassiesmom
02-25-2011, 05:58 PM
My niece worked for a catering company and there were a few times she brought home beautiful fresh flower arrangements from an event simply because no one else had taken them.

When my roommate from college got married, she had artificial flowers for her bouquet, the attendants, and the table arrangements. They turned out really pretty.

I don't have a green thumb so I have a hard time keeping a bouquet of fresh flowers or a potted plant. I'd be okay with artificial flowers.

jenluckenbach
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
My own wedding bouquet was silk. ( I wanted daffodils and it was August.) I still have them.

Also, consider this.....no pollen. People with allergies would be thankful.

Craftlady
02-25-2011, 07:46 PM
All silk at my wedding 13 yrs ago. :)
We made the table center pieces, girls & guys flowers. I used real flowers in my bouquet (mixed silk and real) and alter flowers were real.

For girls I had florist but baby breath in them and they did the bows. Bows are not my thing LOL

All silk looked real :)Buy good quality silk flowers and save a TON on money.

prechrswife
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM
We had silk at the reception and on the decorations in the chapel. We did use real flowers for the bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages (for tea girls, servers, etc.). The wedding my husband is officiating and our daughter is flower girl in tomorrow has all silk, and it looks fine. I think as long as the silk arrangements are well-done, they are fine. We still have one of the reception bouquets, and it still looks nice.

Karen
02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Also, consider this.....no pollen. People with allergies would be thankful.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. When I got married, the silk flowers were not what they are today. A man my grandfather had mentored long before I was born did our flowers for almost free. He knew our family well, and as a consequence, sent me home with the kind of rose he was intending to use (the bouquets had Delphinium and roses and delphinium is not scented) to put by my bed at night to make sure the scent it did have - which was very faint - would not bother me.

Twisterdog
02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
I had fresh flowers for bouquets and corsages, and silk flowers for all the table and aisle decorations. It was very pretty, and much cheaper. Plus I loved that we could make them weeks ahead and put them in a box. One less thing to worry about on a crazy day.

finn's mom
02-26-2011, 12:42 AM
I think we used all silk at my first wedding. My second marriage...we got married by the justice of the peace, and didn't have flowers. ;) I LOVE fresh, but silk are really nice.

Pinot's Mom
02-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Sorry, I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm a flower snob - fresh!

That being said...it's your choice, not mine, and you know the setting, I don't. I'm sure it will be lovely.

Alysser
02-26-2011, 09:21 AM
While making arrangements at school last year for Horticulture Exposition Contest we could choose real or silk. I chose silk both times I've done the contest. One thing I loved about it is you can still make a very very nice arrangement that will last a long time, you can find very nice silk flowers. Some are very realistic. I also enjoyed being able to make it weeks before the contest and not rushing to get it done! Plus silks are cheaper in many cases.

Also I would choose silk because it prevents early wilting and things like that. Silk is better for any occasion over fresh IMO.

ramanth
02-26-2011, 05:01 PM
My mom did silk bouquets and centerpieces for mine and my sister's weddings. That way everyone was able to keep their bouquets. They looked just as lovely as real flowers. :)