PDA

View Full Version : Halloween behavior

gini
11-01-2002, 10:25 AM
My doorbell usually starts ringing around 5 P.M. and continues until 9.

My very first set left me in a bad mood. They rang my doorbell continually, knocked on the door, knocked using the woodpecker door knocker - all at once. I opened the door to find two children and three adults. All had candy bags wide open. I gave candy to the children first - although I had to "go around" the adults to find the kids. The women pushed their bags at me - and finally when the man was very aggressive, I told him NO - Halloween was for children!!

I went back into the house and worked on an "attitude adjustment" thinking back to my own days of going door to door.

The rest of the evening was absolutely delightful and what struck me is that every single child was accompanied by a parent. Without prompting, every child said thank you.

I had one little girl with a "magic wand" who waved it over me and wished me good luck! I would have given my Snicker's bars to that one!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-01-2002, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you had a delightful evening, Gini. I'm glad you were able to put those first rude ones out of your mind and enjoy the rest. The little girl with the wand is just precious. :)

Unfortunately we live in a neighborhood of mostly older folks so we don't get many trick-or-treaters at all. Terry just loves it when they come to the door. He will sit upstairs just waiting for the bell to ring, then quickly rush down to hand out the candy. I think he has more fun than the kids do. :rolleyes: :D

This year was a bit of a disappointment though. Terry was on the road - on his way back home - and I had not one kid come to the door. I saw a ton of kids running around other neighborhoods, but none in ours at all. :( Oh, and our neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks or street lights either, so I'm sure it's not the type of neighborhood that many parents would want to bring their kids to. I told Terry that next year we'll put a sign out on the main road that says "Trick-or-Treaters this way. Candy guaranteed!" with an arrow pointing towards our house. ;) :D

neko1
11-01-2002, 01:10 PM
We didn't get any trick or treaters this year although there were a bunch of people out when I came home. The problem is that people start at around 5 and most people up here don't get home from work until 6-6:30 so the kids miss out on a lot of houses. Oh well, now I have a bag of candy for me!:)

Edwina's Secretary
11-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Wow!!! You had trick or treaters until 9!!!! I felt like Linus in the Pumpkin Patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin -- who never came. I had the candy -- Edwina had her costume and we waited :(

I didn't get home until 6:45 and I guess they were all done.

Some suburbs around here do trick or treating on the Sunday before Halloween. I wish the city would do that too! I miss it...

The Cat Factory
11-01-2002, 07:28 PM
We get trick or treaters until around 9 here too. My grandma gets atleast 100 trick or treaters every year. I did not get any at my house! I went to my grandma's for Halloween though :)

All Creatures Great And Small
11-01-2002, 07:37 PM
We came up with a pretty good trick this year involving my daughter's pet rats. Last year, we answered the door with the ratties crawling on our shoulders, which a lot of people freaked out over. This year, my daughter decided to decorate a 30 lb. cat litter bucket with a "Trick or Treat" sign, and put the 4 ratties inside. When the kids came to the door, I'd be holding the bucket up pretty high so they couldn't see what was in it, and then I'd tip the bucket towards them as if to offer them some candy from the bucket. So many different reactions - actually, a lot of the kids LIKED the ratties, some just looked really bewildered, and a few screamed. Of course my daughter was right there with a handful of candy for everyone, and we explained that we were just joking around with the rats. The best was my neighbor from down the street who was doing her first trick-or-treat with her little boy - when she peeked into the bucket she screamed and jumped back off of the porch! I guess we had forgotten to mention that we have pet rats.......

Speaking of rude trick-or-treaters, don't you love the ones who come to the door dressed as themselves? You'd think they could put forth SOME effort to get free candy. I had one kid last year who came to my door 2 minutes before the end of trick-or-treating and say "give me all your leftover candy - it's going to be over in a few minutes anyway!" Cheek! I told him I would be happy to take care of the leftover candy myself.....since I always pick out something I wouldn't mind eating.....:D

Cookiebaker
11-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Trick or treaters were really scarce around here this year. We had NONE. I'm glad we didn't buy any candy. But my coworker bought candy to make up 120 fancy baggies of candy. (They usually get about 100) She only had 30 kids come, and now has oooooodles and oodles of candy left over. It's good for the other of us at the office though. :D

Nomilynn
11-01-2002, 11:41 PM
I didn't even leave any lights on, and I had three kids come and bang on the screen door anyway!! :mad: :mad: They were too young, 10-12, to be out by themselves too and they had no parent with them! How stupid to come up to a porch with no lights on.. I was upstairs too my lower level was completely dark!!! :mad: Oh well.. hopefully their parents search their cany at least. :rolleyes:

aly
11-02-2002, 12:00 AM
I didn't get home from work until after 9:00. At 9:35, there was loud banging on my door. I was scared to death since I live alone. I ran and looked out the peephole and it was some girls that looked to be at least 14 or 15 screaming for candy. Grrrr! I ignored them and didn't open the door even though I had some candy I could've given them :rolleyes:

popcornbird
11-02-2002, 02:11 AM
We don't open the door for trick or treaters at all. We don't celebrate halloween. What's the point? :rolleyes: I find it very silly to dress up as a goblin or whatever, and go around begging for candy. And the worst part is.............banging on people's doors when they don't want you there, and don't have any candy to offer (even if I did, I wouldn't give it). Any candy that enters the house is MINE!!! LOL! Just wondering, is holloween a religious holiday, and if so, which religion? From my knowledge, I know its a pagan holiday, that was later adopted by Christians and other people as well. Am I wrong? Anyway, we had a couple of little kids dressed as raccoons come and knock at our door (I looked through the peephole and at first though one of them was a REAL raccoon!!!) LOL! We went to visit a friend later though, so I don't know how many came. We usually get a lot, but not one of them gets candy. ;) They leave thinking we're not at home. Sorry if I offended anyone. I just find it silly to wear funky costumes and go out on the street. :) I mean, I see a point in other religious celebrations, or any other celebration. At least they mean something and are celebrated for a reason.................but Halloween?? My mind doesn't accept it.

wolf_Q
11-02-2002, 02:19 AM
We got ONE group of trick-or-treaters, lol. Of course I wasn't home the whole time, but I didn't see any others on my street. They started some new church thing called "Truck-or-Treat" where they set up on one street and just have the candy in trucks of cars and kids just go to that streat. Melissa and I walked by with Lady and Nebo just to see what it was like. They had some sound effects and stuff, but still...........they've ruined Halloween! :( I'm glad we still did *real* trick-or-treating when I was a kid, not this one street crap.

Of course, I am always the one who has to open the door for the trick-or-treaters (which I despise) so I'm not quite sure why I'm complaining. I often see the people that are like my age with no costumes on begging for candy too, it's pathetic. Get a job and buy your own candy, it's not that expensive. Ok so we sort of went trick-or-treating this year (and I haven't for a loooooooooooooong time) with the dogs.......but just to a couple of people's houses we know to get a laugh out of them, lol. :D Melissa's grandma kept saying "Oh my heavens!" She gave the dogs each a cookie (human kind) and wanted to invite us in....I was afraid of what the dogs would destroy though....