PDA

View Full Version : Zoee went to the vet today

Taz_Zoee
02-21-2011, 10:35 PM
She has been limping off and on for a few weeks now so I finally took her in.
The vet said it felt like she just sprained her knee. Which is good news because the alternative would be a torn cruciate. And I know a few PTers knows what that's like. It's bad enough I'm supposed to have her get lots of rest (yeah right!), but I couldn't imagine her not being able to run around at all. She lives to run the yard and protect the house from anything that moves. In fact, she does that with no problem even now. It's usually when she's been laying down for a while and gets up that she limps.
Anyway, we've got her on an inflammatory med for 14 days. If it doesn't improve in 2 weeks then she'll have to go back for xrays.
So, if you wouldn't mind keeping her in your thoughts and prayers that she is all better in two weeks, I'd really appreciate it. :)
Thank you all.

K9karen
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
A gazillion prayers that the ant-inflammatory helps Zoee and that the limp isn't caused by a torn ACL. Been there, done that twice. I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy. Please keep us updated on gorgeous Zoee! Lots of kisses on her please!

krazyaboutkatz
02-21-2011, 11:23 PM
I sure hope it's nothing serious and that the medicine will help her. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

cassiesmom
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Big prayers for precious Zoee!

chocolatepuppy
02-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Pawsitive thoughts and prayers headed out for Zoee. Please heal up quickly! Yep, I'm another from the ACL 'group'. You don't want that!

AdoreMyDogs
02-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Big hugs and prayers to Zoee. I hope the medication does the trick.

kaycountrygal
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry about your Zoee. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the meds & "rest" do the job. I dont know if your Zoee has the same kind of knee problem as one of my previous dogs but I'll tell you my experience.

I know how hard it is to keep dog off feet, to rest, to help the injury. Twelve yrs ago I had a little rat terrier Honey (3 yrs old) who suddenly started whining in pain & lifting one of her hind legs. I took her to vet & was shocked when he said it could be a knee problem that might need operation... but first have dog stay off her feet & rest & gave me some pills for her (dont recall what). EASIER SAID THAN DONE to have dog "rest".

The "rest" did not work & she was in pain. She ended up having both knees repaired (one at a time, of course). The vet operated on the 1st knee & put in a tiny pin & after some time (cant remember how much, maybe 2 mos.) he operated on the 2d knee, put in pin, & while she was asleep, he removed pin from 1st knee. Then eventually he removed pin from 2d knee when she was asleep getting her teeth cleaned.

From what I do recall, it wasnt an easy thing for me or little Honey but overall she did pretty good & the operations were successful. Before operations, she would holler in pain when she walked & I couldnt have that so it was worth the expense . Her knees did good for 7 yrs & probably would have been ok for much longer but she died at age 10 from heart problems. She was a good little dog. After her, I opened my heart to LilGirl. I sure hope she (or any dog) doesnt have knee problems.

Anyway I do hope your Zoee will get better with meds & rest.... Kay in NC

Taz_Zoee
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I am glad it's not a serious issue. It makes me feel better about taking her in. I was starting to think I was over reacting. She never cried in pain and the limping isn't even consistent. But I wanted to be sure it was nothing, or if it was something that we caught it early.
Thanks for all the good thoughts. We appreciate it! :D

Freedom
02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Prayers for Zoe.

From what you describe, it sounds like the anti inflammatory will do the trick!

The thing is, if she has been holding back AT ALL then as the meds kick in she will feel better and do more, which will slow down the recovery.

So in a few days, THAT is when you may want to restrict her activity a bit and let the healing progress.

Craftlady
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Keeping good thoughts and prayers that the medication works for Zoee.

Taz_Zoee
02-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Prayers for Zoe.

From what you describe, it sounds like the anti inflammatory will do the trick!

The thing is, if she has been holding back AT ALL then as the meds kick in she will feel better and do more, which will slow down the recovery.

So in a few days, THAT is when you may want to restrict her activity a bit and let the healing progress.

I know, I did think about this too. And we are trying to just keep her outside time to a minimum, basically long enough to potty. But I've watched her while she's outside, and she's not running too much. But still, inside is better. :)

Thanks again for the good thoughts everyone. :D

wanwan1007
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Adding my good thoughts and prayers for precious Zoe as well.