02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Pro & Anti Labor Union members are doing it in Wisconsin.There are protests
all over the Middle Eastern countries. Just wondering what would
it take to make you angry enough to protest, in the streets if necessary,
to show your disapproval? What is important enough to you that you would
risk public protest?

Karen
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I was happy to protest against a store that was trying to start a nationwide chain - beginning in MY state, of all the nerve - selling puppy mill pups. We went, took pictures, made notes, and then joined with others to protest. There were several weekend protests, outside the mall where the store was, and we won - they closed the store and gave up!

popcornbird
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
One word. Injustice.

Alysser
02-19-2011, 03:29 PM
One word. Injustice.

Beautiful response! I am in complete agreement.

RICHARD
02-20-2011, 02:04 AM
It depends.

In WI all the Dems split town.

lol, IF my political party ditched the scene?

I am out.

phesina
02-20-2011, 06:20 AM
I was happy to protest against a store that was trying to start a nationwide chain - beginning in MY state, of all the nerve - selling puppy mill pups. We went, took pictures, made notes, and then joined with others to protest. There were several weekend protests, outside the mall where the store was, and we won - they closed the store and gave up!

Thank you for doing that, Karen. That's great that it was successful! I would join in a protest like that, too.

pomtzu
02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
I was prepared to follow what Karen did.
Last year I noticed a sign on an empty building out on the highway - Pet Shop - Coming Soon. Of course I knew right away what that meant. :mad: Every time I went by I looked for signs of an opening - but nothing. No renovations or any happenings. I tried to find out what was going on, but nobody knew anything - or at least they weren't talking. Eventually the sign came down and no pet shop ever opened. Hopefully it was because of community protest. I was fully prepared, that if it did indeed open, that I would be out there with signs of protest. Maybe not on their property, but right next to it where there is a vacant lot.

lizbud
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM

I remember that.:) I was very proud of you for doing it too.:)

I think most people hate injustice when they see or hear of it, but it is
sadly almost a daily fact of life. I would be protesting daily if I protested every case.
I think I would have to limit my 'out in the street' protests to
the most egregious cases of injustice to animals, children or specific races
of people.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I remember that.:) I was very proud of you for doing it too.:)

I think most people hate injustice when they see or hear of it, but it is
sadly almost a daily fact of life. I would be protesting daily if I protested every case.
I think I would have to limit my 'out in the street' protests to
the most egregious cases of injustice to animals, children or specific races
of people.

I marched in a war protest once while in San Francisco on business. My husband made me promise not to do anything to get arrested. :rolleyes:

If I was still back home I would be hanging out in Madison. I have spent part of my career fighting unions but the way this guy is trying to destroy them strikes me as "not a fair fight." It is one thing to win by persuasion - it is another to win by fiat. And the fact that he exempted the only unions that supported him in the election - well it just reeks of ugly politics and bad faith.

momcat
02-20-2011, 02:57 PM
If I was still back home I would be hanging out in Madison. I have spent part of my career fighting unions but the way this guy is trying to destroy them strikes me as "not a fair fight." It is one thing to win by persuasion - it is another to win by fiat. And the fact that he exempted the only unions that supported him in the election - well it just reeks of ugly politics and bad faith.

I totally agree with you, Sara. If it were at all possible, I'd be standing with the unions in Madison. The same thing will most likely be happening here within the next few months. We have a governor who is out to destroy the middle class workforce. People need to realize that the unions are willing to negotiate concessions. Negotiate Don't Dictate!!!

Our pathetic excuse for a governor constantly says everyone has to do their part by sacrificing to get our economy where it should be. I'll take him seriously when he accepts $1 a year for the job like our former governor did.

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
... The same thing will most likely be happening here within the next few months. We have a governor who is out to destroy the middle class workforce. People need to realize that the unions are willing to negotiate concessions. Negotiate Don't Dictate!!!

Too many have been distracted by the cries of "Obama is trying to destroy America!" "Main Street America is under attack by the progressives!" when in fact, it is the Tea Party and others of that ilk who are trying to destroy the American middle class and our way of living.

Once they have beaten the unions they will be telling us how we must worship (which they are already trying to do...) and then what?

Sound familiar???

I am fearful.

Already they are arguing why parts of the Patriot Act must be extended...so the government can - without presenting cause - monitor who you talk to, what you say, what books you read.

I am very fearful.

moosmom
02-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Animal rights. Someone has to be the voice of the voiceless!!! And yes, I'd lay down my life if it came to saving an animal being harmed.

cassiesmom
02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
I totally agree with you, Sara. If it were at all possible, I'd be standing with the unions in Madison. The same thing will most likely be happening here within the next few months. We have a governor who is out to destroy the middle class workforce. People need to realize that the unions are willing to negotiate concessions. Negotiate Don't Dictate!!!

Our pathetic excuse for a governor constantly says everyone has to do their part by sacrificing to get our economy where it should be. I'll take him seriously when he accepts $1 a year for the job like our former governor did.

I'm having a really hard time with this one. I think I understand, in principle, what the governor is trying to do. But in practice, I don't think this is the best possible solution. You take a big risk when you mess around with people's livelihood. I also don't think it's a good idea for the Wisconsin Democrats to be holed up in Chicago waiting for something to change.

I'm with Popcornbird- injustice. Especially involving child abuse and animal cruelty.
www.ijm.org
The Vice President of IJM, Larry Martin, spoke at my church last year. I learned a lot from his talk about the rights of people and some very scary things that are going on in the world.

And I'm waiting to see what happens around the issue of immigrant rights. There are a lot of people from Mexico in Chicago. No easy answers there.