PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT buy a furnace from Sears

Freedom
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Based on what I've learned the past week, I must say this: do NOT buy a furnace from Sears.

Sears sells and installs Carrier products. Thus far, I have no issue w/ Carrier products. Just look on their website and select a LOCAL company for your purchase and installation.

Sears uses subcontractors for the install, and for maintenance and servicing post install. The subcontractors may or may not be trained on Carrier products; or on heating and cooling units in general. Just because someone is LICENSED does not mean they have training. As I have learned, the hard way.

Short version: I bought a house that was built in 1964, from the original owner. It still had the original furnace in it. So 3 months later, I had Sears install a new: furnace, humidifier, air conditioning unit, and programmable thermostat. I was shown how to change the filter in the furnace.

My folks' house had an oil fired boiler. I had no background w/ gas furnaces. And this is my first house.

Now, 8 years later ( and lots of service calls, all of which I paid for, full price), I was so frustrated I called another local Carrier dealer and had them send out a Service Tech. That was last Friday. One week ago today. Here is what I've learned:
- the media filter cabinet, which is where the filter belongs, was never installed.
- where I have been going in to change the filter is INSIDE the service panel. The home owner is never supposed to be in there, EVER. I could have shorted out the furnace, or had a severe electrical shock myself.
- a metal strip was added, to hold the filter in the place I was told to put it; the metal strip is not a part of the Carrier furnace
- the furnace I bought has a 2 speed fan. Only one speed was wired up. So all the "savings" I was supposed to get with the high speed, never appeared.
- the furnace was wired up incorrectly, so it constantly overheats and shuts down
- the humidifier needs a relay to have it wired up correctly; no relay is in the wiring for it
- the humidifier was wired up incorrectly to the board in the furnace - it was connected to the DEHUMIDIFY connector :rolleyes:
- the annual maintenance has never involved anyone opening and changing the filter in the humidifier; which is now so old and corroded it is crumbling
- the annual maintenance has never involved antimicrobial tablets in the water well; so bacteria developed and multiplied. The water well is now busting out with sludge, and an entire new pump unit will have to be installed
- the "Fire Matic" safety sensor is a unit which senses heat. If the furnace catches fire, this is supposed to cut electricity to the furnace. Typically a furnace fire starts and stays within the furnace chamber for up to 3 hours before blowing out to the rest of the house. The sensor was placed so far away from the furnace that half my home would have to be on fire before it would sense enough heat to shut down the electric. No idea why my City Inspector approved this.

So I contacted Sears (another long story, had to send a registered letter to the Board of Directors General Counsel to get any attention. The Service Tech I had out here helped me with taking photos of stuff, and I included all those in the letter.) Today at THEIR expense, Sears sent an independent Carrier Service Rep to investigate. He agrees 100% with what "my guy" found, and wrote up a few other things as well. He kept saying things like, "wait till they see this back at the office - I got pictures!" (He has a Captive8 Smart Phone, and was taking photos to document what he was seeing and writing up.)

Sears will be arranging to fix this whole mess.

Oh, and Sears has also found, on their own: as a part of my package purchase I have a life time repair agreement; all those visits, I was only supposed to be billed $20 or $25 per visit, not full price.

Sorry this is so long. I am beyond disbelief at this whole mess. All I keep saying is: WOW. Oh wow.

Freckles
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
8 years later ( and lots of service calls, all of which I paid for, full price).

Have you kept the receipts? Sears might help with that, too

WOW

Freedom
02-18-2011, 06:14 PM
You bet cha! I have the catalog which shows what I bought, what is included, calculations on how much it "should" cost to run it based on x number of heating days, receipts for all the maintenance and service calls, I have a THICK file folder!

K9karen
02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank God you're a smartie pants, keeping receipts etc. i HATE paperwork, but was taught well by my organzied mom (with a few bops on the noggin) to keep receipts etc. Luckily no problems, but I have "dem dammed" receipts for just about every major appliance. What'd we ever do without camera phones? Hope everything works out for you. And, thanks, I never buy from Sears anyway cause they subcontract.

Freedom
02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
And, thanks, I never buy from Sears anyway cause they subcontract.

Where were you in 2003?! I didn't know till this week.

wanwan1007
02-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Wow is a very appropriate word. I'm sorry you had to go through all of this. I guess the good side to this is that even though it was 8 long years at least you (1.) found out before the furnace ended up being replaced or blew up because of off the poor set up. (2.) thank God that you or no one in your home was hurt. (3.) The independent contractor that Sears sent out seemed to be legit and honest and didn't try to support Sears.

pomtzu
02-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Wow - that is terrible, I didn't know that Sears subcontracted either, and luckily have never bought anything big like your system that needed to be installed - just washers, dryers, a.c.'s and a dishwasher is all - and all years ago. Now I know I never will.

Thanks goodness that nothing serious ever happened (such as a fire or personal injury :eek:), tho what you're having to deal with now is serious enough I would say. Hopefully you'll get everything working the way it's supposed to, and also be reimbursed for all the added and unnecessary expenses that you've incurred over the years that you've had this unit.

ETA:
BTW Sandie - what alerted you now to a problem, or was it that you had just reached your meltdown point based on all the previous crap that you've had to go thru? And I'm like you - I just can't stop thinking "WOW"!

Freedom
02-19-2011, 09:36 AM
ETA:
BTW Sandie - what alerted you now to a problem, or was it that you had just reached your meltdown point based on all the previous crap that you've had to go thru? And I'm like you - I just can't stop thinking "WOW"!

Late last year I had the annual maintenance for the heating system. The Tech made a big deal of the poorly fitting filter I had and advised me to go to a local company (he gave the name and address) to have one custom made. It got me thinking, didn't make sense I had to buy custom made.

Soon after install, I got a post card from Sears w/ the part number for my filter. I ordered it and it is 4 inches wide - no way that is going to fit in my tiny space! I called the Sales Rep who sold me the system, and he said it was the wrong part and just ignore the post card. I did, but I SAVED IT in the folder. So that was scanned in and included in my letter. If I had the media filter cabinet, it IS the right filter!

Been crazy trying to deal w/the automated phone system; there is no "Press 9 if you are calling about a furnace installed incorrectly 8 years ago." :D I had Customer Support folks telling me, "take your furnace that is missing a part back to the store where you purchased it and they will give you a new one." Obviously they are just reading from a script. The 3rd time I was told that, I asked, "Do you know what a furnace is?" Reply was "I have no idea what a furnace is." I kept a list of all the numbers and names of folks I spoke with in 5 hours over 2 days, and put all THAT in my letter as well. I was asked, "Did you buy your furnace in a store or online?" Obviously I was in the wrong part of Customer Support, but I could NOT figure out how to get where I needed to be!

I've now learned that at one point, I was talking with the local Heating and Cooling Manager, but he was confused by this being an 8 year old install, and advised me to call Customer Service. He didn't have a name or direct phone number for me and could not transfer me. THAT went in my letter, too, but back then I didn't know he was THE MAN I NEEDED. So I'm sure he is embarrassed now, too.

pomtzu
02-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Yikes Sandie - I hope that you don't have high blood pressure to start with, because after all of this. it will be thru the roof. :mad:

I'm afraid I couldn't have remained as calm as you appear to be. My Italian "temperament" would have take over - BIG TIME!!!!! :eek:

Lillycat
02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
.......unreal.......horrible, just horrible!

Husky_mom
02-19-2011, 04:31 PM
what a hassle.. but fortunately you weren´t hurt and apparently you´ll be compensated/reimbursed for everything..

this is why it´s important to know that your people knows what to do.. not just hire them randomly..(@ Sears)

Cataholic
02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
It is almost too much to believe.

If it is possible, I would consult with an electrician, to see if you can determine just what you have overpaid these last 8 years in electrical bills, because of the fan thing. I would include that in your total request for 'damages'.

Sears is not the only store that contracts out their labor. Many, many stores do it. I am sure you will always ask from now on, so too late to tell you to ask, right?

Laura's Babies
02-19-2011, 07:05 PM
That is unbelievable.... but so is a lot of what happens to me.. All I could think of as I read it was "WOW!.....WOW!.....WOW!"

Freedom
02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Many, many stores do it. I am sure you will always ask from now on, so too late to tell you to ask, right?

Makes me almost afraid to even BUY anything ever again! Good thing I've done so much of the updating on this house already.

K9karen
02-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Where were you in 2003?! I didn't know till this week.

Oops..I may have over spoke/typed..whatever. I was mad for you. Actually I think there are some items they do subcontract. At least they did when my mom bought some stuff eons ago.

Anyhoo..glad to be of service, wrong or right! :D:p

Freedom
02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
??? Karen? LOL I was joking, as in why didn't you tell me this in 2003? I'm not sure how you took it that you are apologizing, but there certainly was nothing needing an apology! LOL

momcat
02-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Freedom,
Your story is almost unbelievable! Several years ago, my late mother-in-law gave us a Sears refrigerator. When we started having problems with it, getting someone out to fix it was virtually impossible, they always had some lame excuse as to why they had to cancel. Now I avoid Sears like the plague!

You might want to consider reporting this to your state Consumer Affairs Office. Sears put you and your family in danger and they MUST be held accountable. Consumer Affairs might even be able to advise you of what legal recourse is available. Continue to document everything and save every single piece of paper related to this.

Good luck in resolving this. If you can, please let us know how all of this plays out?

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear all of this and all I can say is WOW!!! too.:eek: I'm glad that you finally became aware that you had problems with your furnace before anything like a fire started. Hopefully everything will work out in your favor and you'll be reimbursed for everything too. Good luck.:)

I don't know if you have ever watched the show on HGTV "Holmes On Homes" or now his new show "Holmes Inspection" on Sunday evenings but the things on this show makes me wonder if anyone can be trusted concerning home improvements or home inspections any more. It seems that even contractors with permits still make many critical mistakes.

Craftlady
02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
:eek: So sorry you had to go through all this with Sears.

K9karen
02-20-2011, 10:33 PM
??? Karen? LOL I was joking, as in why didn't you tell me this in 2003? I'm not sure how you took it that you are apologizing, but there certainly was nothing needing an apology! LOL

Hey, it's ME! Of course I knew you were joking, I love it! I just didn't want to misinform, as to damage poor Sears' reputation :rolleyes: Poop on Sears for messing up my awesome Sandie!

Offer still stands for free advise :D:D:D:D:D;)

Freedom
02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Ok!