PDA

View Full Version : Bad news about Ole

Crayons09
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
I took Ole to the vet today to have his right elbow x-rayed because he has had problems with it before. Found he has osteophytes and bone roughness causing him to have arthritis in his elbow. Ole is only one year old since November. The vet said there isn't too much they can do for him. She said there is a surgery to "file" down the bone but, she said that it is very painful procedure. This isn't Ole's only problem, in fact he is a walking problem. He has a bad back that partially paralyzed his right leg for a bit but medication fixed that. He still has trouble with his back. At the same time we found out about his back we found out he has hip dysplasia in his left hip. Also just recently I found out he has a luxating patella in his left leg.
It makes me so sad that a dog his age is having so many problems. His breeder doesn't care because she is still breeding his parents. It makes me cry that he is in so much pain after playing just a little bit. After playing he will cry out in pain when he trys to stand up. I have pain pills at my place and at my parents place because anything can trigger a problem.
I was told by the vet that with all his problems about all I can do is just make him comfortable, give him glucose supplements, keep him lean and keep him from too much exercise. I can't take him too the dog park anymore or let him play with other dogs because it causes him so much pain afterwords. He LOVES other dogs and loves going to the dog park.
It just saddens me that I may not have as much time with Ole as I thought I would. He is the best dog any one could ever ask for I can leave him in a room of little kids and not have to worry about him. I take him to the nursing home and he is perfect there, without having any training. He is exactly what I wanted in a dog personality wise.
Sorry to go on for so long but I love my very special Ole and I can't even imagine my life without him.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/Louis_bubbles/oleandkitten024.jpg
He makes me so happy and I know he makes the residents at the nursing home happy too. Just wish he wouldn't have to go thru all of this because he doesn't deserve any of it.

Lilith Cherry
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Ole's problems. At least he has you to take really good care of him and love with all your heart!

luvofallhorses
02-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Oh sweetie I am so sorry, I hate bad breeders and you and your dog have to suffer for it. :( He is a beautiful boy. I hope you have lots of more time with him. (((HUGS)))

chocolatepuppy
02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry Ole is having such problems.:( It's even harder when a dog is so young. I've been there done that and will tell you, there are a lot of things you can do to keep him busy without him running around. I know you'll give him a lot of attention, that's what they love the most. Hopefully Ole will be with you a long time yet to come.

Karen
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear about this, but at least you found out, and can help him. I'd contact the AKC Basset group and let them know about his problems, and that the breeder doesn't care, as these are all likely genetic problems, and she should be more concerned about the healthiness of future litters!

Crayons09
02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sure ALL of his problems are hereditary. I was planning on sending his x-rays to his "breeder's" vet to see if they can do anything about it. I just need to find out who she brings her dogs to. I know she is only in it for the money because Ole is only one and Ole's mom has had 2 litters since Ole's. She has had 30 puppies in a years time. Ole's litter was his mom's first litter and she was barely one years old. I was told by Ole's "breeder" that it was an accident litter. but she has had 2 litters after Ole's with the same female. Thanks for all of the comments. I really do hope I have many more years with Ole. I do not regret Ole in the slightest. Any amount of time I can have with him I am blessed to have. I'm blessed to have him in my life.

luvofallhorses
02-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah it's pretty sad. She needs to have the dam spayed or she is going to cause people to have tons of heartache like with you and Ole. I am so sorry. :( Give Ole a kiss for me.

Alysser
02-16-2011, 08:12 PM
This is such a sore topic for me, my dog Sassy died way too young because of bad legs and arthritis. She was only 10, she had so much more life in her but in the end her legs gave up along with her spirit. I am not trying to scare you or anything, but she actually lasted much longer than the vets expected. After she died, my mom told me the vets said she'd have terrible arthritis by the time she was 7. Well she fought that and lived 3 more years.

Anyway, I am so sorry. I know how it feels to find out this sad news. But please try not to think of the time you will loose with Ole. Just think of the time you still have left with him. He's a bubbly, adorable baby and I'm sure he'll live a very long life.

The hardest thing about furbabies is we don't ever know what could happen to them. They could only live a few months while others will last 16 years.

Freedom
02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a back yard breeder or even a puppy mill, not a responsible breeder. A responsible breeder would have the parents tested first, before any breeding and would NEVER have a bitch have that many litters in such a short time.

I am so sad for both you and Ole. Yes do keep him comfortable, as he has so much love to share with you!

I know the luxating patella can be corrected surgically. It is a bit costly, and there is a 6 weeks healing time.

If the vet has not suggested this, ask about Adequan. It is an injectable form of glucosamine and chondroitin. My Marlin takes it. There was an initial build up (I think 8 shots in 5 weeks, can't recall) and then it is once a month. Helps Marlin a LOT! I do mark when his shot is due on the calendar so I don't forget, but I can always tell, he stops jumping up on the sofa and whines for us to help him up instead. That is usually 4 to days before the next shot.

If the vet puts Ole on this, you can give the shots at home, yourself. I do this for Marlin. The vet techs showed me where to give the shot and how to do it. Now, if I had the vet tech give the shot, it is a $45 visit each month. The dosage is based on the dog's weight. Marlin can get 12 shots from one vial -- a whole year's supply. I found I can get the prescription from my vet, mail it is to Drs. Foster and Smith pharmacy, and buy a vial for $65. HUGE savings!

Ole probably weighs more than my 17 pound Marlin, but it will still be a big savings for you, and if it helps Ole feel better, well worth it!

If you do this, don't forget syringes. My vet gives me 12 at a time, no charge; you may have a small fee at your vet, but it will be small and still make it worth while to do the monthly shots at home yourself.

Oh, be sure to get Adequan (canine). There is also Adequan (equine).

I use the daily pills as well as the shot, for Marlin. Hope this helps you and Ole!

cassiesmom
02-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Big prayers for Ole and you, Crayons 09! I hope you find a treatment that works very well, and that you will have many happy years together. ((HUGS)))

And a candle
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=12698567

Crayons09
02-16-2011, 08:52 PM
She told me about a steroid shot that she didn't recommend. She said it almost makes the dog feel "too" good and they end up hurting the affected area more because they don't feel the pain in it anymore. I will have to ask her about the shot that you give your Marlin. She also told me about the knee surgery, but she said it was very expensive and with all his other joint problems it will just cause added stress on his other limbs if he has it.
alysser- its horrible isn't it. I wish I could do more for him and make his so called breeder pay for how much pain he is in. Ole is only one and he acts older then my parents dog Sadie who is 6 years old. When people meet him they always think he is older then what he is, not just because of his looks but because how he walks. Its really isn't fair that they have to go thru all of this. I'm sorry your Sassy had to deal with the pain of arthritis and had to go at such a young age. I honestly wonder how their "breeders" can sleep at night.
I plan on doing everything I can to make him the happiest basset around. Right now he is asleep on the couch:)

Crayons09
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Cassiesmom: Thanks for lighting the candle for Ole:love: It brought tears to my eyes. You are truly a wonderful person and have always been so kind. Thank you!
Thanks to everyone else for the support and suggestions. It means a lot to me that so many care about my Ole as much as I do.:love: I will keep everyone updated on him and I pray I will have many years with him.

Alysser
02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
alysser- its horrible isn't it. I wish I could do more for him and make his so called breeder pay for how much pain he is in. Ole is only one and he acts older then my parents dog Sadie who is 6 years old. When people meet him they always think he is older then what he is, not just because of his looks but because how he walks. Its really isn't fair that they have to go thru all of this. I'm sorry your Sassy had to deal with the pain of arthritis and had to go at such a young age. I honestly wonder how their "breeders" can sleep at night.
I plan on doing everything I can to make him the happiest basset around. Right now he is asleep on the couch:)

You know, I have no idea how they sleep at night. :mad: I was so sure her breeder was reputable, her parents and grandparents had many titles. I don't know honestly, and maybe I should have looked into it. But when money is involved people will do anything as long as they aren't enduring the pain themselves!

He is only one, and maybe the procedure would be painful, but would it be successful in the long run? I know you probably don't want Ole enduring that kind of surgery but if it has awesome long-term results it may be something to consider. Would you consider getting a second opinion? Possibly a vet who specializes in bones or something even?

wanwan1007
02-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear a bad report for Ole. I know it must have broke your heart. It can get expensive but I think I might get a 2nd opinion as well. It seems like the vet is saying there is nothing that can be done. Whenever I receive that kind of report I believe a 2nd opinion is in order. Sending a big hug to you as well as Ole. I'm praying for Ole to have many long years pain free.

K9karen
02-16-2011, 11:18 PM
I was off the computer yesterday, sorry I didn't see this.

I'm so upset about poor Ole. The sweet boy wants nothing more than to make your life happy and has no clue what's going on except that he hurts.

My Mz Logan has hip dysplasia, but I've been giving her prescription glucosamine/chondroitin in pill form since I got her. Her days are relatively comforatble, but a few hours at the dog park can set it off. I rarely have to give her a pain killer unless I notice real discomfort. I totally feel your frustration and the pain in your heart to see Ole suffer. Hugs.

kaycountrygal
02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry your Ole dog has health problems. As you said, it's not his fault and you love him--no matter what. He's a cute dog with his floppy ears and big brown eyes. I'm with the others who suggested a 2d opinion. The breeders should be punished somehow for their part in his health problem... but probably will not be. I know you'll do the best you can for Ole. Good Luck! Kay in NC

wolf_Q
02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
This makes me so sad that such a young dog has to go through all this pain because a breeder just wants to make a buck. There has to be some way to get the word out to stop her from breeding, or at least warn people not to buy puppies from her so she'll have no reason to breed. Poor Ole, he sounds like such a sweet pup. :love:

There's a dog we groom, he's a boerboel, the guy who bred him seemed very responsible, we've been grooming his dog for years, she's a great dog, seems very healthy. He told us all about the process of breeding her, he even drove to another state to get her bred, he thought he researched and picked a great dog to breed her with. Well all of the puppies but one died, and the one that lived his a horrible mess. :( He's so sweet but he's so screwed up with severe hip and elbow displaysia he can barely walk. His owner knows its only a matter of time before he has to put him to sleep. He's a huge dog (over 100 lbs for sure), if he can't walk there isn't much that can be done...wheelchair won't work because his front and his back are messed up. His elbows are big and shaped weird. It's breaks my heart this poor dog has to go through all this from puppyhood. At least the guy who bred him is going to be way more careful about who he chooses to breed the mom to again. She's not the problem, he had her hips/elbows checked, it was the dog he bred her to. That dog had those problems, and I believe he was a dog who won shows, from high quality lines...I'm sorry but any dog who carries those genetic problems should be banned from dog shows and breeding. The show world needs to do more about genetic testing before allowing dogs to compete in shows.

Catty1
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
I do hope you report all this to the Basset breeding org, as someone suggested. There will be a lot more dogs suffering like poor Ole if those so-called breeders aren't stopped. :(

You might want to browse here and see if there is anything that might help Ole. You don't necessarily have to buy from these people - but you might see something you can find locally.

{{{hugs}}}

Crayons09
02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
This is my third vet that I have seen for Ole. All have said the same thing. That surgery is an option but they don't recommend it because he has joint problems in ALL of his limbs. They said that if he were to have any type of surgery it would just cause added stress and pain on his other limbs. His left hind leg is probably the worse off that's the one he has the luxating patella and the hip dyspelsia that is already causing him problems. I hate that he has to go thru all of this at such a young age, heck at any age a dog shouldn't have THIS many problems. The glucose that he is getting will hopefully help. The vet that recommended it said that she has seen amazing results of dogs that have been on it. I just have to watch him to make sure he doesn't gain too much weight or hurts himself in any way because that can cause him more pain.
He has been getting spoiled. He got to go to school with me for a project and got to be played with by 16 preschoolers. Also Monday he will be going to work with me to visit some of his favorite residents.
Thanks for all the replies and the support. Means a lot to me and Ole:love:

foreveradoglvr
02-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I have been a long time lurker. You don't know me but I feel really bad for Ole. Ole was the reason I joined Pet Talk.

I just lost my 12 year old chi/x who died in my arms two weeks ago an hour after I left the vet. I went there because I thought that I was in denial.

I was always told he had really bad luxating patellas which would deteriorate and need surgery down the line. So I decided to become proactive and started giving him Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin. I used Sea Mobility Ark Naturals Chicken Jerky. He never needed surgery and he took it for 12 years. That was his only treat and he loved it. I would break it up and play Hide-It for a mental exercise. He could jump and never had a problem until the last week of his life.

Also accupuncture is known to have some miraculous results.

Good Luck with Ole. I hope you find something to make him feel more comfortable.

Fran

AdoreMyDogs
02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Ole. This is very sad news indeed. I wish the breeder would steralize the parents so this heartache would not happen to other folks. He's a gorgeous, precious pup. He does not deserve this, nor do you. I'm very sorry. I hope for thes best :( Hugs!