PDA

View Full Version : "Small Dog Syndrome"

dab_20
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
I found this quite interesting. I am guilty of much of it myself.

Anyway, a good read for those with small dogs... or even those who think small dogs are more aggressive and yappy.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/smalltoydogs.htm

kaycountrygal
02-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Hmmm, I read most of the article. I've never thought of my 5 lb LilGirl as snappy because she is not. She is the most friendly outgoing little dog I've ever been around. She likes everybody. Now sometimes she does bark a lot but usually it is because Annie the BIG dog outside starts barking & that makes LilGirl bark. As for getting on the couch, I WANT LilGirl next to me on the couch or my lap or my shoulder LOL. I love to hold her. Both LilGirl and Annie are friendly and well behaved and I dont think either one of them has any bad habits. Maybe some little dogs are snappy but not mine. Kay in NC

Twisterdog
02-16-2011, 08:26 PM
My small dogs get on the furniture, sleep in bed with us, and are generally quite spoiled. However, none of them are snappy, aggressive or yappy. It's just like with human kids ... you can love and spoil them, and still teach them and provide discipline.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
I see way to many dogs with this issue every day in the veterinary field.... they are snappy, unhappy, little brats to be honest with you! They are very babied by their owners. They are dogs, and need to be trained and disciplined like any other dog should be, no matter what the size or breed. They do not need to be carried everywhere, let the dog walk! If he/she is bad on the leash, the dog will get over it the more you use the leash.
Ugh... sorry for the rant, but this is a big pet peeve of mine!:p

dab_20
02-16-2011, 11:26 PM
My small dogs get on the furniture, sleep in bed with us, and are generally quite spoiled. However, none of them are snappy, aggressive or yappy. It's just like with human kids ... you can love and spoil them, and still teach them and provide discipline.

I agree! And it's those owners who "spoil" them (although many of those dogs are actually UNhappy), that give little dogs the yappy and snappy "bad name". My grandma is one of those people. Her little maltese/shih tzu mix I just cannot STAND! I know it's not his fault, but he's just an aggressive (bites you!), yappy, little shi*. And it's just the way she "spoils" him and let's him get away with everything!

Lablover, (I'm sorry your name has slipped my mind once again!), I totally agree with you. Interning at the veterinary office, the majority of dogs that were aggressive were small dogs. And it's just the way you treat them.

Although I don't necessarily agree with all the article says, (I let my smaller dogs sleep near my head and jump on me), it is an interesting one.

pomtzu
02-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Agreed - 100%. That's the life of my Myndi and Sparky. Neither have ever been snappy even for one second, and neither could be considered yappy either. They both will bark to alert us of anything outside that shouldn't be in their yard, and Myndi can be quite a talker (much different than yapping) with my son (those 2 carry on a real conversation everyday when he gets home from work), but she never just yaps just for the heck of it.

That article was an interesting read too - thanks for the link. It just goes to show you, that if you have a yapper and/or snapper, then it's most likely the human's fault! :(

IRescue452
02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree with most of the article. Small dogs are allowed to get away with things because people don't see the harm when the 3 pound dog "can't possibly inflict all that much damage". If they'd imagine they're same dog as 100 pounds then they might see that their dog could have seriously hurt somebody. There's personality issues as well though. My aunt has 4 chihuahuas and only 1 of them is friendly and the other three are some of the worst cases of aggression I've had to deal with. I recently dog sat and to get them outside I had to dump them out of their kennels and stand back. How did the 1 get friendly?

snakemama
02-17-2011, 02:51 PM
I insist on excellent manners from Jasper...he's not a tiny dog but he's small enough that when he jumps and I correct him people often say "Oh, it's ok, I don't mind".....but I DO!

Alysser
02-20-2011, 11:20 AM
I hate to admit it but Sassy was the perfect description of one of these dogs. She was pretty snappy and aggressive with food and just in general. My parents and I definitely made mistakes raising her. She never got completely out of hand and I don't recall her ever drawing blood. Obviously it's our fault, and I don't think she was very socialized either. But..yeah again, our fault. She was our first dog.

I don't plan on ever making those mistakes again, and I can't see myself having a small dog like that again anyway, but who knows. Mikey is 100% different. He doesn't get away with ANYTHING near as bad as Sassy did. He is perfectly socialized, doesn't have a MEAN bone in his body. He is the goofiest, sweetest dog around.

dab_20
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I hate to admit it but Sassy was the perfect description of one of these dogs. She was pretty snappy and aggressive with food and just in general. My parents and I definitely made mistakes raising her. She never got completely out of hand and I don't recall her ever drawing blood. Obviously it's our fault, and I don't think she was very socialized either. But..yeah again, our fault. She was our first dog.

I don't plan on ever making those mistakes again, and I can't see myself having a small dog like that again anyway, but who knows. Mikey is 100% different. He doesn't get away with ANYTHING near as bad as Sassy did. He is perfectly socialized, doesn't have a MEAN bone in his body. He is the goofiest, sweetest dog around.

I know what you mean. Molli is a very good example of one of those dogs. She's very food aggressive with people and animals.
She's pretty toy aggressive and possessive with other dogs.
I've tried to work with her on it.... just can't seem to solve the problem. I'm sure it is much of how I raised her too.

Despite some of her issues though, she's a sweetie and I love her. She's VERY nice and friendly with people and the groomers just love her. lol

Roxyluvsme13
02-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Lily is a bit yappy, and I have to admit it's kind of "cute" sometimes, but she's not snappy or aggressive at all. She's spoiled too and gets away with a lot, but she's not as bad as many small dogs that have no manners at all. Lily loves people and is pretty well socialized.

pomtzu
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Lily is a bit yappy, and I have to admit it's kind of "cute" sometimes, but she's not snappy or aggressive at all. She's spoiled too and gets away with a lot, but she's not as bad as many small dogs that have no manners at all. Lily loves people and is pretty well socialized.

We need to get Lily, Roger, and Myndi together, and see if the yapping begins. :eek::p:D

Call them The Pom Trio - maybe???? ;)

Roxyluvsme13
02-20-2011, 07:46 PM
We need to get Lily, Roger, and Myndi together, and see if the yapping begins. :eek::p:D

Call them The Pom Trio - maybe???? ;)
If this were Facebook, I would like this post! haha. We definitely need to get them together and form the "Pom Trio" :D

Taz_Zoee
02-20-2011, 07:56 PM
My mom's little poodle mix is so darn yappy it is annoying. My mom is always correcting her, constantly. She has gotten MUCH better, but she still does a little grunt all the time. She always barks when she hears someone come in the house or move around in another room. Which, IMO, is a good thing for my mom.
So she is a little yappy dog, but she doesn't get away with it. I believe it will be a forever work in progress with her. And she walks every where by herself. I never see my mom carry her.

Roxyluvsme13
02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
My mom's little poodle mix is so darn yappy it is annoying. My mom is always correcting her, constantly. She has gotten MUCH better, but she still does a little grunt all the time. She always barks when she hears someone come in the house or move around in another room. Which, IMO, is a good thing for my mom.
So she is a little yappy dog, but she doesn't get away with it. I believe it will be a forever work in progress with her. And she walks every where by herself. I never see my mom carry her.
Lily has this problem as well. My mom corrects her and tells her to hush, but what can we say, she thinks she's a ferocious Rottweiler and a killer guard dog :p.

Vette
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Im sad to say that Kirby would definitely be another annoying yapper with high potential to bite without a leadership role. weve found that out the hard way when ive left Kirby in my parents care when i was away for a few days. he became barky an whiny in his crate. became food/treat an toy possessive an hes bit my mom once. i wouldnt put it past him to do it again since he growls at them both when hes not getting his way. its cuz they spoil him an he takes lead role cuz he knows he can get away with pretty much whatever he wants.

with a leadership role hes a sweet awesome an quiet dog. but otherwise,, i can definitely see the 'real' reason why his previous owner placed him in the classified ads.

Asiel
02-23-2011, 08:20 PM

You have my vote on that also. My little one thinks she's a Shepherd and acts like one. Very independent little thing but also such a loving cuddly friend. She never barks except to warn us that someone is in the yard and as for snapping I don't think she even knows how. She loves all company, whoever is willing to play with her , adult or child. Being so tiny comes with privileges such as being allowed on the bed or furniture but she will never get on furniture if we have guests. She isn't bratty or spoiled, and listens as well as any big dog. She was always treated like I would treat my Shepherds so I think the owner does make the dog.