PDA

View Full Version : Are you a romantic?

sparks19
02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
The Valentines thread got me thinking....

Are you a romantic? not just on Valentines day but in general.

like do flowers, candle lit dinners etc etc make you swoon?

I am NOT a romantic lol. If I came home and Brian had a candlelit dinner set out with soft music and flowers I'd probably be so weirded out :eek: I would probably feel so awkward through out the whole thing. It's just not me... it's not US.

I always say I'm too loud to be romantic. it seems (in movies) all those romantic scenes require hushed music and soft voices and yadda yadda... yeah I don't do quiet lol.

my idea of "romatic" would be coming home and Brian having a drink made for me and the Habs game ready to go on TV and then play a round of wii bowling after or something lol.

so I definitely don't fit into the romance category :D

what about you? do you love romance? are you like me and don't really feel it? or do you just not care in general? :)

or even better what is your idea of romance?

Taz_Zoee
02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I am with you, I'm not romantic at all!!
However, a couple years ago Bruce surprised me with dinner and all the normal Valentines Day stuff. I liked that because he never does surprises. It was at home, no hushed music. We actually watched TV during dinner. LOL

But yeah, those kinds of restaurants that are candle lit and all fancy...........no thanks!! :)

Today all Bruce has done (and I think this will be all) is send me three cute emails with doggie's and valentines things in them. That's enough for me! :D

I got him a card that says - sometimes I want to hug you so tight you pop. And on the inside it says - and sometimes I just want to pop you. LOL

caseysmom
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Being a good father to my children is what turns me on...I know that sounds silly but after 31 years together and two grown children that is what is important to me...they are my life, I would do anything for them and he feels the same.

Twisterdog
02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I am not romantic AT ALL. I find it contrived, and more than a little wierd.

My husband is hopelessly romantic, and always buying flowers and cards. Waste of good money, IMO.

We have such a role-reversal on the stereotype of the woman always wanting romantic gestures and the guy forgetting it's even supposed to be a special day. I had no idea today was Valentine's Day until DH was all mushy this morning. Gag.

sparks19
02-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I am with you, I'm not romantic at all!!
However, a couple years ago Bruce surprised me with dinner and all the normal Valentines Day stuff. I liked that because he never does surprises. It was at home, no hushed music. We actually watched TV during dinner. LOL

But yeah, those kinds of restaurants that are candle lit and all fancy...........no thanks!! :)

Today all Bruce has done (and I think this will be all) is send me three cute emails with doggie's and valentines things in them. That's enough for me! :D

I got him a card that says - sometimes I want to hug you so tight you pop. And on the inside it says - and sometimes I just want to pop you. LOL

HAHAHAHA that is so perfect. That's exactly the kind of card I would get Brian lol

sparks19
02-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I know everyone has their own idea of romance whether it's candle lit dinners or a hockey game or what have you.

As far as romantic I mean the mainstream movie kind of romantic.

For me it's when Brian says "you go sleep and I'll watch Hannah. you need the sleep" when he got as little sleep as I did and I know he's got to be just as tired.

or when we play a game of monopoly together on our phones and we cheat to beat the AI's lol like he'll pay me $1000 for a $100 property if I need cash in the game. lol but then when it comes down to just the two of us left it's no holds barred lol

We tell each other 20 times a day "I love you", we kiss and hug all the time... but I just don't know HOW to do the mushy, sweep me off my feet and whisk me away to a romantic dinner. It's just not in me I guess lol

AdoreMyDogs
02-14-2011, 01:32 PM

Hahaha that's hilarious! I just keep giggeling. I wish I found a card like that for my husband. That's fantastic!

I love romance. We live such a hectic, busy life with 2 young children, 2 dogs, 2 cats, that we don't make enough time for quiet, romantic dinners and such, so tonight I'm going to make a nice dinner for hubby and I to enjoy after the kids are in bed.

Karen
02-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Romance means different things to different people. That's just one of those things that makes us all unique and interesting!

sparks19
02-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Romance means different things to different people. That's just one of those things that makes us all unique and interesting!

Yeah I clarified in another post. what I meant by romantic was this

As far as romantic I mean the mainstream movie kind of romantic.

CountryWolf07
02-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Am I a romantic? Yes, I get Mike cards and stuff, but is he a romantic? No. We talked about that yesterday, and he started calling me, "honey, baby, sweetie" just to see how it sounds, and I told him to stop, because it sounded like he was a different person and it didn't seem like who he is at all. Plus, he was making me laugh because I couldn't take any of it seriously. :rolleyes: But I love him. This morning he texted me before going into work, "Hey! Happy Valentine's Day. I love you." and I just felt all warm and mushy. I think that's enough.

:love:

caseysmom
02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
I am not romantic AT ALL. I find it contrived, and more than a little wierd.

My husband is hopelessly romantic, and always buying flowers and cards. Waste of good money, IMO.

We have such a role-reversal on the stereotype of the woman always wanting romantic gestures and the guy forgetting it's even supposed to be a special day. I had no idea today was Valentine's Day until DH was all mushy this morning. Gag.

This last sentence made my day...good thing I wasn't drinking anything!!!

catnapper
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Hubby accuses me of not being romantic all the time. I think its hokey.

I prefer to show my love and affection with little things like bringing him a fresh glass of soda or him clearing snow off my car in the winter.

Taz_Zoee
02-14-2011, 05:38 PM
I prefer to show my love and affection with little things like bringing him a fresh glass of soda or him clearing snow off my car in the winter.

This is great! I have a friend that has been married about 20 years and her husband still does little things like this. Like gasing up her car, washing her car, fixing her a drink, making dinner or breakfast. They are still so darn cute together. :D

Vette
02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
LOL i must not be romantic either :o

NicoleLJ
02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I am not romantic in the sense of expensive restraunts and diamonds and such. I always tell Doug if he has the money to buy me a large diamond anything to instead get me a puppy from a reputable breeder. A diamond is so cold where a puppy gives warmth and fun. lol

But I am a romantic in the sense that I love surprises and I love to spoil people. I love how romantic Doug is. He does little notes for me sometimes, or runs a bath for the two of us, or will sing to me and so on. I enjoy making and serving him meals, keeping him in baking(this is difficult because he goes through it so fast lol), spoiling him with things he loves like his guitar or Martial Arts classes. As it was said. Romance is different to each person.

Asiel
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Cute thread Spark's--I guess I'll have to agree with alll of you. The flowers and candlekight doesn't really mean much to me either. It's the little everyday things that I see as romantic. I love having his favourite relaxing clothes always handy, love the way he lights up when he knows I thought of doing some odd silly little thing for him. When our kids were young and I would watch hubby playing with them even when he was dog tired, even now that the kids are grown , seeing how he is always there and willing to help, how he is with the grankids...this is roamntic to me. And we do say "I love you" so many times a day and we both know we mean it, no need for fancy displays here. The way he will go out of his way to make things easier on me, that counts for a lot in my book. We just seem to love having time to relax together and watch a special movie or discuss something special we want to do for the kids... all that grubby little stuff is really what I count as romantic...just knowing you care and are cared for.

Alysser
02-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Not in the least! I'd rather go hiking or something on a date. :o

My first date was to an amusement park. :D We went on huge rollercoasters and such and ate Johnny Rockets. So, nah, not a romance type at all. I'd take Mulligans (local irish pub/grille) or The Cabin (another local) over an expensive restaurant anytime!

I do however, appreciate gifts, but they don't need to be expensive like diamonds, chocolates, flowers, etc. If they have thought to them I'd appreciate it! If I know the person totally thought of me when they saw it that makes it better.

I also love hugs, cuddling, holding hands, all that but not candlelight dinners or anything! Of course, maybe once in awhile it'd be cute. But otherwise, it's the little things I appreciate in a relationship

wolf_Q
02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Ha ha I would say no not really but I decided to try to make Corby a "romantic" dinner tonight. It really wasn't, the only table we have is in the family room (usually eat at the bar) and we ate while sitting on computer chairs. I found a candle, bought some nice glasses, and made dinner. I even bought some fruity wine, ha ha. No music or anything, just a nice dinner...in the family room. It was fun. I'm not one for expensive gifts and such, the only diamond I wanted is on my ring. Corby has brought me flowers one time, because I gave him crap for never bringing me flowers (joking) ;) he doesn't get the whole concept of flowers, cards, etc. Which is okay with me, there's plenty of ways to show somebody you love them without that stuff. We are very affectionate on a daily basis and say I love you often. :)

Scooter's Mom
02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I am a hopeless romantic.
Problem is, I married someone without an OUNCE of romance in his body.

I mean... one birthday I got a drive through meal from burger king. I love flowers and cards, sappy little emails and notes saying I love you.

Nope, my hubby doesn't have it in him. :(

(My first husband though, he could certainly make things romantic even when they were going horribly wrong... guess I went for the polar opposite this go-round)

dab_20
02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I am not a huge romantic. I certainly like it every once in awhile, and my boyfriend can definitely be romantic at times. :love: We are very affectionate with each other day to day.
For Valentine's he got me a necklace and a card. He always writes in the card... a long paragraph of sweet things. It really makes me happy to hear it because I tell him how I feel about him. And everything he says he means, I can just tell. I'm so glad I didn't get a guy who is uncomfortable talking about his emotions. Honestly, I think it's his culture... he's from Columbia.

All the time it would get overwhelming, but every so often I love it. :)

Marigold2
02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Dinner, flowers, candy, candlelight, yes I want that all. Hubby just came home with the sweetest card, flowers and candies. We will do dinner another night, going out on 2.14 is not the best idea.
I like all of those things and I like hikes and blues bars, horse stables and art shows, museums, book stores, coffee houses.
I don't limit myself to just liking one thing, there is so much to like and explore in this world but for romance oh yes, give me the dinner the champagne, the cocktail dress, the shirt and tie, hubby smelling so good, the fine jewerly and the love in the eyes and then that special
time after ah yes.............. it's good to be spoiled

kokopup
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm a romantic or at least I think I am. I'm not the candle lite dinner type of romantic but still remember all of the occasions and try to put a little romance into the mix. I would still rather go hiking than go out to dinner but that is just who I am. In fact I took my wife to a State Park on our first date. I guess I have a feminine side in that I like chick flicks that are usually romantic in nature.
Then again I love movies like Raiders or the Bourne trilogy and Football. I guess the Mrs is probably a better judge and I'm probably wrong.;)

caseysmom
02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
I don't get the whole flowers delivered at work thing...its obviously just to show off...are people that insecure? A friend got them delivered friday and left them there all weekend so they would be there today...why wouldn't you enjoy them at home? Another male co-worker was frantic on the phone about some flowers being delivered...and they just went through bankruptcy and have to have all the newest flat screen tv's etc...wth???

sparks19
02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
yeah last thing i need is more stuff. We already have more candy in this house then I care to admit (Thanks Hannah's Grammy for all the Valentines Candy lol). candle lit dinner? lol I need a table free of clutter for that and right now that just isn't in the cards hahaha. Like I said last thing I need is more STUFF... my table is already covered with the overflow of stuff that doesn't have a place to go

I need to have a BIG yard sale in the spring and get rid of this clutter. It's starting to drive me a little batty lol.

You know what would be romantic? a maid HAHAHAHA :love:

I like lots of things. hushed, romantic, sweep me off my feet on a moonlit beach moments are not one of them. I just don't have the romance in me lol. At least not that kind of romance. It just seems so forced and pretend beause it's just not the way we are. We are very affectionate and when Brian tells me He thinks I'm beautiful and sexy I know he means it. but if he came up to me with some line like "your eyes are like moonlight on the water, your smile is like...." I don't know I can't even think up something romantic to say lol... but if he said something like that I'd think he was trying to be funny LOL because that's just not us. If he came up and smacked me on the butt and said "good game"... I'd laugh and kiss him and pinch his butt. that's us... not romantic in the traditional sense but that's how we are. people describe us as "a unique couple" :p:D

if people didn't know us they'd think we were nuts. But when we tease each other it's endearment for us. If one of us can come up with a real zinger... that's love LOL

Roxyluvsme13
02-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Gotta admit, I'm probably a hopeless romantic. Romance movies have rotted my brain :D.

But I'd be happy without candlelight dinners and things like that from the movies, but I can't lie and say I wouldn't like it either. :p.

CountryWolf07
02-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Gotta admit, I'm probably a hopeless romantic. Romance movies have rotted my brain :D.

But I'd be happy without candlelight dinners and things like that from the movies, but I can't lie and say I wouldn't like it either. :p.

Same here, well at least, Mike likes to think so. He always tells me "But how many times have you seen something like what you've seen in the movies that aren't 'real' in real life?"

Way to kill it. I often tell him to go watch chick flicks and pick up a tip or two and come back to me! LOL