PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone help ideas please

Freedom
02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
I've had a prepaid phone for the past 2 years. I've used it less than 4.5 hours. Just a basic phone, no internet etc.

At the end of each year, no matter how much time you have left, you either pay more money and add more time, or lose it.

Last year, I "lost" about $75. I caught it the day AFTER it expired Spent an hour at Best Buy with one of the salespeople on the phone WITH me with the company, and we got my time back, but I was required to added some money.

So now I've goofed and lost 22 hours (about $75) again. :rolleyes: :eek:

I DO need a phone, but not a lot. Anyone have any ideas what I should get? I could TRY to get my time back w/this company again, not sure they would do it a 2d time. Plus, it's been over 2 weeks this time.

Alysser
02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Are you looking in a basic phone without a prepaid plan or a fancy Android/Iphone/Smartphone type deal?

Freedom
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
I am looking for CHEAP! All I need is a basic phone.

kuhio98
02-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Do you have a GoPhone?
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/go-phones/#fbid=4zBwCBISZbb

It works well for Bobcat. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/prepaid-phones.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-004ROX-0-2&WT.svl=button

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I was going to suggest a Go phone too.
My aunt only needs a phone when she takes my uncle to his dialysis every week so he can call her to come pick him up. She never uses it other than that. And it works for her. She even got to keep her old phone and just put the Go phone SIM card in it.

Husky_mom
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
same here.. lol..

my phone is basically for incoming calls and texts and sometimes I´d dare and make a call..

mine´s also prepaid..I used to "load" it with 10 bucks aprox.. and had a month to use it (20 min talk aprox).. I rarely rarely used them all.. now that hubby´s gi¿one I use it even less.. but so I don´t lose it I load it the minimum each month or so..(2-3dlls) that way I can text if needed to or make emergency calls.. only if there´s a promotion in where I get double then I might charge the 10..

I do have 3 phones.. lol.. well one is still packed.. but I do use them all.. so 2-3 each is enough as I rotate them and have enough for my needs..

not sure how plans over there work.. but maybe something like this..

cassiesmom
02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm no help. Mine is $39.99 a month, which is the least expensive plan Verizon offered when I signed up, and I have 500 minutes (almost 8 1/2 hours) per month... how much of that do I actually use? about one third. They keep contacting me because I will be entitled to a "new every two" phone soon - only problem is, I don't want a new phone! I just figured out my current phone. The newer phones have buttons that are so small I can't see them without glasses.

pomtzu
02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I am now on Verizon - on my son's plan, but before that, I had a Tracfone for years.. You can buy a very inexpensive phone from them, and most of their phones now carry double minutes for life. They have Valueplans, where you sign up for x-amount of minutes for x-dollars per month. I had a double minutes phone and went with the basic value plan of 50 minutes for $10 per month - so I actually got 100 minutes. And then they used to screw up too, and most months they were adding double-double minutes to the phone. I tried to tell them what they were doing, but they never corrected the situation. You never lose the minutes - they roll over each month. When I cancelled with them last summer, I forfeited over 2300 minutes. Guess that shows you how much I use my cell phone.

Check them out at tracfone.com

Medusa
02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I just figured out my current phone. The newer phones have buttons that are so small I can't see them without glasses.

I'm w/ya! I was due for a new every two and I went into Verizon and said "I want to downgrade my phone, please". The Verizon guy said "You mean upgrade". I said "No, I mean downgrade. I'm tired of my smart phone being smarter than I". Fortunately, he's a friend of mine so he didn't try to sell me the moon. He knew I'd walk out if he did.

Freedom
02-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the ideas, and for the links for the Go Phone.

What I have works similar to the Tracfone.

Ellie, "losing" 2300 minutes, that is my dilemma.

Roxyluvsme13
02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Can't you just get a free one like Assurance wireless? I don't know if they offer if where you live, but it's through Tracfone and gives you 250 minutes free every month.

http://www.assurancewireless.com

Freedom
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
That would have been nice! Not available here (yet).

So I paid $100 for one year, I'm all set again

Thanks for all the info.