PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feed raw, or home cook?

Freedom
02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I am slowly working my way to cooking for all of my pets. The problems with commercial foods are just too much.

So I got 3 chicken necks for the cats. Bones are Nature's toothbrushes. A cat can eat 2 to 3 neck vertebrae twice a week and keep the teeth in shape.

I left one raw.

The other 2 I lightly steamed with some garlic and rosemary, per a cat recipe I have.

As far as I know, Tommy ate everything, over a 5 hour period. I saw a few others approach and sniff, that was it. Tommy went to town, he LOVED them! :D

Just wondered how others made the transition.

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I tried feeding some raw meat to my cats when I still had Starr. I was hoping that it would help improve his IBD/Colitis but it made it worse.:( Any way some of my cats took to it right away and it took some of them a few times to accept it. I tried both Turkey and Chicken and I found that they all preferred the chicken. It's just too expensive plus I don't really have the freezer space for it either. This is why I feed them as close to raw as I can with dry and canned food. Good luck.:)

Queen of Poop
02-09-2011, 11:54 AM
My kitties eat raw. They have a packaged mix of rabbit/salmon.

My concern is that you probably shouldn't be steaming/cooking the chicken necks as it makes the bones brittle and then they cause harm. The bones are soft in the raw neck so they are able to eat it without any concern or harm. So it says in my raw food book.

jennielynn1970
02-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm doing cooked boneless chicken breasts for Honeybun. I just cook them in water or in chicken broth, then blend in my food processor. It may be expensive, but it's less expensive than babyfood, lol.

PS.. I know the others sneak it from time to time, but I basically feed it only to Honeybun.

katladyd
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't have the time to feed raw or home cooked (heck, I don't cook for me), but I feed grain free. I tried Merrick Before Grain, which is as close to nature as you can get in a can, but neither of my cats would eat it. They both like Wellness, Wellness Core, Blue Wilderness, and Royal Canin, so they're not eating junk.

catmandu
02-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I have some German Sausages that Scrappy Two likes and she and Tubster Panther love steak!!
The only thing raw I usually feed them are Tuna Fish , Sardines or Kippers, and maybe sometimes a Take Out Chicken.:love::love: