lizbud
02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I really feel sorry for the guy. Probably won't get the recognition from
this community because of his name.:)

No Joke: Ex-Mayor's Name Too Funny For Ind. Center
Online Voting Ends Friday

POSTED: 4:09 pm EST February 8, 2011
UPDATED: 5:03 pm EST February 8, 2011

FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- A former Indiana mayor who won four terms in the 1930s and 1950s is proving less popular with modern-day city leaders, who say they probably won't name a new government center for him because of the jokes his moniker could inspire.

Harry Baals is the runaway favorite in online voting to name the new building in Fort Wayne, about 120 miles northeast of Indianapolis. But Deputy Mayor Beth Malloy said that probably won't be enough to put the name of the city's longest-tenured mayor on the center.

The issue is pronunciation. The former mayor pronounced his last name "balls." His descendants have since changed it to "bales."

Supporters said it's unfair that the former mayor can't be recognized simply because his name makes some people snicker. But opponents fear that naming the center after Baals would make Fort Wayne the target of late-night television jokes.

"We realize that while Harry Baals was a respected mayor, not everyone outside of Fort Wayne will know that," Malloy said Tuesday in a statement to The Associated Press. "We wanted to pick something that would reflect our pride in our community beyond the boundaries of Fort Wayne."

An online site taking suggestions for names showed more than 1,000 votes Tuesday for the Harry Baals Government Center. That's more than three times the votes received by the closest contender.

City spokesman Frank Suarez said the city has no regrets about opening the name selection up to people online.

"It is a new way of reaching out to the community," he said. "The fact that 17,000 votes have come in tell us the buzz created by this is really good. When was the last time somebody could say they had fun with their government? We've had fun with this."

Suarez told The Journal Gazette that Mayor Tom Henry will meet with local groups and choose from up to 10 finalists from the suggestions submitted. Online voting ends Friday.

___

phesina
02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Did he have a middle name, or was the Harry a contraction of something else such as Harold?

Did people not make jokes about things like that back in the '30s or '50s when he was mayor?

Randi
02-09-2011, 08:53 AM
What about the story my friend in England told about a relative... he was in England and was asked about his name (can't recall if it was in connection with a job or what). His name is Bent Kock. :eek: :D

RICHARD
02-09-2011, 12:51 PM
What about the story my friend in England told about a relative... he was in England and was asked about his name (can't recall if it was in connection with a job or what). His name is Bent Kock. :eek: :D

RANDI!

I thought you were above that!;)

---------------

No one had any problem with the G W Bush Sewage Treatment Center.

What a bunch of chumps.:D

pomtzu
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
When I was still working, the general manager of one of my accounts that I handled, was named Bing Bongh. I don't recall what Bing was a nickname for....:p:D

Donnaj4962
02-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Well I feel like I should weigh in here... since I have lived in Fort Wayne for the past 16 years! Yes, it's true, Harry Baals is the frontrunner for the naming of a new government center in downtown Fort Wayne. (The last I looked, he had over 14,000 votes, and the second place had less than 1,000!)

His real name was Harold. Apparently, when he was Mayor, he often corrected people who mispronounced his name that it was, in fact, Harry Baals (pronounced just like a baseball or a playground ball). I guess some people would say "Beals, or Baaaaaals". Maybe he had a sense of humor about it, I don't know.

I guess Jimmy Kimmell did a 5 minute "chat" about it last night on his live show! And I heard on the radio this morning that this was the Number 1 Google Search of the day!

Not sure this is what I actually want my town to be known for... but it DOES say that we have a sense of humor!
:)

Marigold2
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Harry Baals LOL LOL ya that is funny no matter how you look at it.
It just is. Even a nun would have trouble keeping a straight face saying that name . Can you imagine his wife, this is Mrs, Baals, or the old baals and chain. The kids, the little baals oh dear god. I can't stop laughing now.

Twisterdog
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
How silly. Name the center the Harold W. Baals Center ... or whatever his middle name is. That's perfectly acceptable and few are going to connect that formal name with the less fortunate nickname.

wombat2u2004
02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I knew a Chinese girl once called Twiggy Wee

kokopup
02-13-2011, 08:50 AM
One of my high school classmates was "Alga Hoar". This poor girl was handicapped enough without the name. The single word describing her was amazon. She was around 6'4" wearing her hair in a bun that added another 6 inches to her height. You had no trouble seeing her coming down the hall, because she towered over everyone, boys included, and walked with a bounce.

wombat2u2004
02-13-2011, 07:43 PM
One of my high school classmates was "Alga Hoar". This poor girl was handicapped enough without the name. The single word describing her was amazon. She was around 6'4" wearing her hair in a bun that added another 6 inches to her height. You had no trouble seeing her coming down the hall, because she towered over everyone, boys included, and walked with a bounce.

I've known a few people in my life with the surname Hoare...pretty embarrassing for the girls.
I worked once with a lady by the name of Theresa Haw...her ex-hubby was Malaysian.....she never changed her name after the divorce.....she was sort of proud of that name in a weird sort of a way.

wombat2u2004
02-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Years ago I was working for a mining company as a prospector, searching for copper. We always worked in teams of two, a geologist and an assistant....I was the assistant and worked with a geologist by the name of John Smith.

One day we found ourselves about 100 miles away from base camp, with still more work to complete in the area we'd been designated.
So rather than take the long drive back, we decided to stay in a motel in a tiny little outback town.

When we were booking in, the innkeeper asked our names.....John replied "John Smith", I replied "John Browne".....we got some pretty weird looks from the innkeeper....LOLOL

smokey the elder
02-14-2011, 10:40 AM
I had a classmate named Kim Hoar...poor thing. I worked with a guy named Long Wang. I couldn't say his name without blushing. He had no clue!

krazyaboutkatz
02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I had a typing teacher in high school named Mr. Fagg. When I was having surgery my anesthesiologist sp? was Dr.Hoar. At work there's a Dr. Karen Ho that sends us work. There's a co-worker who's name is Rick Little and he said that his dad's first name was Richard but he went by Dick.:o His name is also Richard but of course he refuses to go by Dick so it's Rick instead. I sure don't blame him. We used to have an employee named Hung Lo. I'm not sure how it was spelled though. He was a very short guy too.

Twisterdog
02-14-2011, 01:25 PM
When we were booking in, the innkeeper asked our names.....John replied "John Smith", I replied "John Browne".....we got some pretty weird looks from the innkeeper....LOLOL

My brother-in-laws name was Bill Smith. My sister was 15 years younger than he. She said they always got the "Oh suuuure" look when they registered at a motel on vacation as "Mr. and Mrs. Bill Smith". LOL

smokey the elder
02-14-2011, 03:17 PM
My SO's pediatricians were named Dr. Cutting and Dr. Burns! He had a professor named Dr. Brain.:D

wombat2u2004
02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
My SO's pediatricians were named Dr. Cutting and Dr. Burns! He had a professor named Dr. Brain.:D

And Igor was the receptionist. :p

wombat2u2004
02-14-2011, 06:22 PM
How come the famous bowel surgeon Dr. Hoo Flung Dung doesn't get a mention here ??? :confused:

phesina
02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Where was it, I think Twickenham, Middlesex, England, I saw a funeral home with morticians named Wake and Paine, as the sign in front said.

smokey the elder
02-15-2011, 08:25 AM
There was a pet grooming salon in Milwaukee allegedly owned by a Mr. G. Howard Barks, or G. Howie Barks.:p

Catty1
02-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Years ago, my dad had a physician by the name of Dr. Coke.

I always wondered if they had a son named Ryan....:D

pomtzu
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Candace - speaking of doctors - brings back another for me. This is a story my mother told me, and I always got a good chuckle out of it.

When my mother was just a little kid, she had polio - and it affected one leg. Two of her doctors were named:

Dr. Foote
&
Dr. Legg

It's too silly to be made up. Besides - Ma never would have thought of anything that clever (bless her heart).