PDA

View Full Version : How big is your house/apartment? *And yard?

wolf_Q
02-08-2011, 12:54 AM
After doing a lot of house shopping and looking at various size houses, I'm just curious what size of house/apartment everyone lives in. Currently we live in an 800 square foot house, looking for something bigger, I'm deciding if 1500 sq ft will work for us (with a yard of course).

*Edit out of curiosity you can add to your how big your yards are too....I want a big yard but they are hard to find around here. The one we have now is about .21 but with a small house its big enough for the dogs to run around. We'd like to find one that is at least .35 the one we are looking at now is .47 which would be awesome. Most houses we could afford have around .25 or less. :/

caseysmom
02-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Ours is 2754 square feet, we don't use the upstairs too much now that the kids are grown, compared to all of my relatives we have the small house...

Our last home was 1600 square feet, I think you tend to grow into the size of the house with "stuff" I think 1500 is plenty big and you won't pay an outrageious amount to heat and cool the house.

My sisters home is 5000 square feet for her and her husband and one little rabbit....

cassiesmom
02-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Amy, I voted less than 1,000 but actually it's just over a thousand square feet. I want to say 1,044 or 1,048. My best friend's condo is 1,250 and that feels way bigger than mine. Her kitchen is smaller than mine but her bathroom is huge.

Laura's Babies
02-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Mine is just under 1000 sq. ft., plenty big enough for me of I didn't have all this cat stuff in here.

Randi
02-08-2011, 06:35 AM
My flat is 1076 square foot and has three rooms, a long corridor, kitchen, bathroom, toilet and two smaller storage rooms. Plus I have a storage room in the cellar. It's still not enough - have to get rid of more stuff. :rolleyes:

BitsyNaceyDog
02-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Our house is 1800 sf. It's an ok size for us, but I wish it was a little bigger. Between the dogs, cats, 2 kids and their toys it can feel pretty small.

We also have a 900 sf. detached building that my husband works in and our birds, chinchillas, and reptiles are in that building too.

Scooter's Mom
02-08-2011, 07:26 AM
My house is 1627 sq ft. It's just me and hubby and the critters.
We have our room, the computer room and the guest room.

It's a great size.

catnapper
02-08-2011, 07:48 AM
we're at 2500 square feet and honestly it waaaayyyy too much space. We haven't been up to the rooms on the 3rd floor in ages. Cameron's room is now basically one big cat room - litterbox and nice comfy cat friendly surfaces in a quiet non-used room.

We'd love to build a cape cod or rancher around 1000-1200 sq. feet.

moosmom
02-08-2011, 07:51 AM
I live in less than 1000 sq. ft. It's a 2 room studio and is getting kinda cramped because of all my little furry and non-furry kids. I make the best of it. I USED to have 1200 square feet in Michgan that included heat, hot water and cable tv!!!

You can have all room in the world. Unless you're happy, it don't mean $hit!!!

I may not have tons of room, but I'm damn happy!! It's my little "oasis".

Pembroke_Corgi
02-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Our house is somewhere between 1,800-2,000 sq. feet. We also are lucky to have a really large yard. It's 4 bedrooms and myself, my husband and daughter with our 3 dogs and 3 cats have plenty of space.

My brother and nephew moved in with us last summer...we still have plenty of room and I think the fact that sometimes it feels too small has to do with the fact that we have extra house guests more than the actually space. : /

Like others said, your stuff ends up filling up whatever space you do have. Good luck and have fun house hunting!!

Taz_Zoee
02-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Our house is around 1300 sq ft. With the two of us and the four furkids I think it's just the right size. We have our bedroom, a guest room (Jax's room), and office (Bruce works from home) and a music studio (connected with the kitchen) with a small room off that for the drum set. And the living room. But the best part is our house is at the end of the court, so our backyard is much larger than other houses on the court. Makes for a great yard for the dogs to get as much exercise as they need. :)

Good luck with the house hunting. I hope you find the perfect home for you and your family. :D

Freedom
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
My house is a 3 bedroom ranch, with an addition on the rear adding the master bedroom, master bath off that, and a huge family room. It is 1440 sq. feet of living space.

I insisted on all one floor when we were searching, for a few reasons:
- that is what I grew up with
- my knees are going
- my Dad lived w/me when I bought, and I knew stairs would be a huge issue for him
- as it turns out, the lack of stairs is great for my dogs (my cats are up and down the cellar and love having the extra space)

Also, having Dad with me and having his diagnosis, I knew we needed something with a walk in shower, and we wanted 2 bathrooms if at all possible (old men go a LOT!!!). This house offered both! Dad has the master bedroom and bath, and it is just great. The times he's been in Rehab or had Visiting Nurses come in, they measure and assess his living space, and have never had any suggestions for improvement! Yes, his "master bath" is tiny, but it works for him.

The lot is small, as I am in the city, just barely .24 acre. That is POINT 24. The back yard is fenced in (by Dad and I) for the dogs. While is it plenty of space for 5 small dogs, I doubt it would work for your large ones. As of last Fall, I've taken out the veggie garden, recovered real estate, :D to give the pups more room. Mine can get into a full gallop for quite a bit from one end to the other.

davidpizzica
02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I share a room here at Concordia with my buddy and I know it's way under 1,000 sq ft. including our bathroom! Barry and I call it our ''Mancave!"

Husky_mom
02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
not sure about the size.. but small.. enough but small.. it has two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs...

downstairs is the living room/dining room/kitchen/laudry room area.. it´s all contiguous and another half bathroom.. then there´s the yard.. and the front parking space...

I tried converting square meters to square feet.. but it can´t be right.. lol.. it gave me close to Taz_zooe´s but from her description her house sounds way bigger than mine is.. :p

finn's mom
02-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Including our converted garage (David's making it into a "man cave"), our house is around 2200 square feet, it's a three bedroom with a living and front room (technically it's a formal dining room, but that's where I have my photography studio set up), and two bathrooms (both have showers, one has a tub)...not sure how big our yard is, but it's big enough. :) I'd say about a quarter acre, but I'm really guessing. ;)

aTailOf2Kitties
02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
1200 sq ft 3bedroom, 2 full baths. 2 of the bedrooms are kinda small (like 10x12, maybe?) so we use them for office and a spare bedroom. Master bedroom is plenty big. Overall it's perfect for me, my boyfriend, and 2 cats. House sits on 2 acres, but the lot is long and skinny, plus the backyard is mostly wooded. Overall I'd guess we have an acre of usable lawn.

Grace
02-08-2011, 01:27 PM
We have 1500 sq.ft. One story, with full basement. Laundry on main floor - :) - two baths, two bedrooms. Large L-shaped living room/dining room.

The house is on 1.25 acres of land. About 1/4 is wooded, the rest lawn.

We have a great 3-season porch that all the cats love. The boys do go outside, but the girls are happy to stay in the porch with the door closed.

Cataholic
02-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Just under a thousand sq. feet here, two bedrooms, and one bathroom. I have an unfinished upstairs that would be wonderful for a teenaged child. I just need the funds to convert!

We do have an unfinished basement which comes in handy for storage, rescue work and work out stuff. It gets damp...so, I wouldn't ever finish it.

Our yard is teeny-tiny. I think my whole lot is only .15. It is a city lot. I have a covered patio, 1.5 gardens, and enough room to work for Jasper.

kittycats_delight
02-08-2011, 01:40 PM
not sure about the size.. but small.. enough but small.. it has two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs...

downstairs is the living room/dining room/kitchen/laudry room area.. it´s all contiguous and another half bathroom.. then there´s the yard.. and the front parking space...

I tried converting square meters to square feet.. but it can´t be right.. lol.. it gave me close to Taz_zooe´s but from her description her house sounds way bigger than mine is.. :p

Try this link (http://www.albireo.ch/areaconverter/) Isabel.

I used it to covert ours. We have about 1300 sq feet which is way too small for the 4 people living here and the animals. It would be great if it were just Guido & I but not with 4 of us.

pomtzu
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Ours is 2352 sq ft. The original house was 1568, but then we put an addition on. There are 3 adults and one teenager residing here full time, and occasionally another teen - when my granddaughter is home from college and splits her time between us (her dad), and her mother. Then there's my 2 dogs and my son's 2 cats.

We have 2 master suites each with it's own attached full bath (one on each end of the house), and then 2 smaller bedrooms with a full bath in between them, living room, dining room, family room, big kitchen, laundry and mud room, unfinished media & sitting room. It's all on one floor - an L-shaped ranch. We have no basement - water table is very high in this area and it would constantly be wet. Also have 1.5 car detached garage, and this all sits on a 2 acre lot.

For us, it's not too small or not too big either. When you have no basement, then you really do need more living space.

kokopup
02-08-2011, 03:26 PM
When I built our house my mindset at that time was BIG. I had spent the last 25 years traveling the world for GE, so I ask them to leave me alone for a year because I planned to build our dream house. I was the Contractor and had someone else do those things that I was not comfortable doing my self. I had someone else do framing. sheetrock, plumbing, and Heat/air heatpump, so Celia and I did the rest ourself. What we ended up with was way to much house for 2 people. Our total Square footage is about 4190 with 3800 being finished. When I finish the remaining 390 sq we will have a 1200sq complete apartment down stairs. The apt space now is where I have My bedroom, Home theater and a full bath. When finished it will have another bedroom and a kitchen. Once I have pasted to the Great Beyond this could be rental space that will help Celia with expenses. This would be ideal for college students.

The house has a 750 sq foot covered front porch.This is where Koko usually spends her time. In the back off of my home theater is a 400 sq foot covered patio. I just finished laying the 900 dutch pavers that make up this patio. I am in the process of making a court yard off the patio that will have a space of 450 sq that will have a 2 foot rock wall with a 3 foot aluminum fence on top that looks like Wrought Iron. I have spent the last month assembling my fence while I watched TV. The top rail of the fence is shaped like an inverted U. While assembling the fence I have laced 660 LED Christmas tree lights in the top rail between the spindles. When the fence is up complete the LED will put a subdued light over the courtyard. I will also have around 400 LED lights that will put a hushed light on the covered patio. None of the lights are visible because I put a Lexan window between each spindle. I am looking forward to completing this project. Right now I am having to wait for some dryer weather so I can do the footing for my rock wall.

The court yard should tie in nicely with my patio since the wall area under the patio is stacked rock. The entire lower level of my house is covered with natural field stone stacked so that there is no cement showing. I hope to have the entire project finished by spring.:)

jennielynn1970
02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I live in a row home built in 1900, but it's actually very large for a row, it's 2400sqft. I have a huge basement (as yet unfinished), an almost double livingroom, dining room, kitchen and 5 bedrooms. 1 room I use as a cat litter box room, and it's kinda destroyed at this point. I ripped up the carpet and it's just plank flooring. Not a pretty sight. But the kitties destroyed the carpet, and now I'll have to redo the flooring at some point, and put down something that if they do pee or poop on it, it won't get destroyed.

One of the other bedrooms is my library. I wanted a library so badly for so long, and now with this house I finally have one! :love: I have bookshelves that I got off of ebay from South America somewhere, although I think I got ripped and they were just something that the guy from NY had had made to sell on ebay, lol. I'm so naive!!! The top floor was an attic, but it was finished and is now 2 bedrooms. We redid them for Dave's girls, but now he is unable to see his daughters (his wife put a restraining order on him and they took the children away for 18 months!! It's just ridiculous what happens when you don't have a lawyer to help you when you have to go to court with these things). The bedrooms will still be here for them when the order is dropped, and hopefully they will be back again. I miss the girls!!

I have NO yard. I added on a back deck to take away what small yard I did have. It was basically a puddle of mud. I hated it. Now I have a Trek deck and I have privacy and security and I love it!!

I could get away with having a smaller house, but I figured when I moved in, if I could get this house for what I got it for financially, then why not go for a 5BR house?? I've grown to really love the place, and I can see me staying here for a long time to come. Even if the city keeps getting worse, hopefully we can keep our block our of trouble and crime free.

Marigold2
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
We are at 2180 which is plenty of room, not counting the basement. We have three bedrooms and two and a half baths.
Daughter will be moving out soon so it is really more room then we need at this point and more then I care to vaccum, dust, mop, keep clean, heat and cool.
The living room is hardly used, it just looks pretty.
We spend most of our time in the kitchen, study or family room.

dab_20
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
My apartment is about 1200 sq ft. 2 bed 2 bath, mostly open layout for an apartment. It's me and my mom and the two dogs and we love it! Nice size and shape for an apartment kitchen, my mom's room is huge, and my bathroom is big! The rent is about $920 a month.

We don't have a yard. However, there's plenty of grass and paths to walk on throughout the complex, almost like a park! There is also an off leash area which is perfect for playing fetch with the dogs.

Which area are you looking at, Amy? (if you don't mind me asking) I know the Salt Lake Valley is sooo expensive and all the yards seem so tiny. Although, if I remember right, you live a ways from here.

wolf_Q
02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone its interesting to hear about all of your houses/apartments. :)

I'm looking in north utah county, like Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Lindon, Orem, etc. I don't know if Utah county or Salt Lake County is more expensive, but neither are cheap and its hard to find a house with a decent yard.

caseysmom
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
About half of my hard is taken up with a pretty good size pool that gets used e months out of the year but I still like it and enjoy sitting by it with my coffee even in the winter. I have a round concrete pad from when the kids were here and there is a trampolie, I found this round settee thing on walmart.com that I can lounge on with the animals and read its in the shade...I may have to ask for that for valentines day.

krazyaboutkatz
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
I live in a condo on the second floor and it's 900 and something square feet. It has 2 large bedrooms and a 2 full bathrooms, a fairly small kitchen that looks into the dining room and the living and dining room is just one big room. I guess you'd say it's an open concept thing. I also have a small balcony which I rarely use.

There are common areas that have grass, trees, and nice flowers and it also has 2 pools, a hot tub,a tennis court,and a clubhouse. There are also grills in the common areas to use because we can't have grills on our balconies due to it being a fire hazard.

I used to rent out the second bedroom but now I live here by myself and I have 6 cats so it's plenty big enough for me. I hate to clean and I wouldn't want to have to clean a larger place.:) I just wish that I could have more hard surfaces. If you live on the 2nd or 3rd floor, you're only allowed to have hard surfaces in your kitchen and bathrooms and everything else has to be carpeted.:(

Amy, good luck with your house search.:)

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2011, 09:33 AM

I could be wrong on the sq footage of my house. I'll have to check with Bruce. I also don't know the size of our lot. I'll have to ask him that one too.
Now I'm thinking the house might be around 1500 instead of 1300. I'll get back to you. :)

dab_20
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm looking in north utah county, like Pleasant Grove, American Fork, Lindon, Orem, etc. I don't know if Utah county or Salt Lake County is more expensive, but neither are cheap and its hard to find a house with a decent yard.

If I remember right Orem and American Fork are still considerably cheaper than the Salt Lake area... and it really isn't all that far from here either. (I live in Sandy)

It is hard to find a house here with a decent yard! Makes me miss MN where most yards are huge!

anna_66
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
You've been to my house before, it's small. Just over 1000 sq ft, 1050 I think. But our lot is 3/4 acre, which is totally big enough for the dogs.

I hope you and Corby can find a nice place with a big yard. Good Luck!

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Boy I was way off. Our house is just under 1900 sq ft. And our lot is 11,700 sq ft (.27 acre).

Asiel
02-09-2011, 07:47 PM
2,685 sq ft. Only the two of us but I think we could use still more space. 4 bedrooms,4 baths, living room, dining room, kitchen,family room, laundry room with mud room . Other level has office, bath, studio, bedroom and family room. We also have a glassed in deck that we use an awful lot and is very handy.

Alysser
02-09-2011, 08:05 PM
My house is about 2200 sq. feet. I'm not sure how big it is with the yard, but it's decent. We have a big in-ground pool, so that takes up most of it. We have 4 bedrooms 2 1/2 bathrooms. It's good for the 3(my parents and me) of us and Mikey!

phesina
02-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Two rooms.. living room with kitchenette, and bedroom.. and a bathroom between.

Plenty of room for me and my five .. no, is it now six?.. cats!

zippy-kat
02-09-2011, 08:50 PM
My house is just under 1700 sq ft, my yard is a little over 7.5 acres. Unfortunately, none of it is fenced (yet).

wolf_Q
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
You've been to my house before, it's small. Just over 1000 sq ft, 1050 I think. But our lot is 3/4 acre, which is totally big enough for the dogs.

I hope you and Corby can find a nice place with a big yard. Good Luck!

Your yard is awesome, I'm jealous of it, your house is great too. Tonya I'm also jealous of your 7.5 acres. I'm not sure what I'd do with it though I don't know enough about horses to have one and I don't see the point of that much land without a horse ha ha, I'd have to get one.

Well they accepted our second offer...its over 11k less than the asking price and the bank will pay closing costs. So it's a decent deal, its a forclosure. Built in 1998, in good shape (at least it appeared to be), 1500 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2 car garage, .47 acres. Kind of in a busy area though - not bad, its just near businesses, the neighborhood itself is okay. It's in the price range we wanted but on the higher end. It's in one of the few cities that allows 3 dogs (so now I just have to hide one instead of 2 :rolleyes: ) Close to both of our jobs and families. Ahh buying a house is scary. :o

dab_20
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Your yard is awesome, I'm jealous of it, your house is great too. Tonya I'm also jealous of your 7.5 acres. I'm not sure what I'd do with it though I don't know enough about horses to have one and I don't see the point of that much land without a horse ha ha, I'd have to get one.

Well they accepted our second offer...its over 11k less than the asking price and the bank will pay closing costs. So it's a decent deal, its a forclosure. Built in 1998, in good shape (at least it appeared to be), 1500 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, 2 car garage, .47 acres. Kind of in a busy area though - not bad, its just near businesses, the neighborhood itself is okay. It's in the price range we wanted but on the higher end. It's in one of the few cities that allows 3 dogs (so now I just have to hide one instead of 2 :rolleyes: ) Close to both of our jobs and families. Ahh buying a house is scary. :o

I'm sure it's scary but congratulations!! I bet it's exciting as well! Pleasee post some pictures when you get the house :)

ramanth
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
My house is just shy of 1,500 feet. One floor, full basement. Just perfect for just me and the pets. :)

Not sure how big the backyard is. I know from the back fence to the back of the house, I used 150 feet of snow fence. I think the width of the yard is about half that.

krazyaboutkatz
02-16-2011, 12:40 AM

Congrats!!!:) Will you be getting a home inspection? Will you be selling your current home or just renting it out? If so good luck. :)

Twisterdog
02-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Our house is supposedly 1,100 square feet. That's what the papers said when we bought it. However, in comparing it to my friends houses and their square footage, I really think that's a mistake and it's actually bigger. It's a four bedroom house. But, who knows. I know it's way too big for DH and I, now that the kids all moved out. When we had three teenagers, it was fine. But now we don't use the upstairs and the guest room at all, ever. And all the dogs are always within 4 square feet of us anyway.

I don't know how big our yard is. It's divided up a lot. There is the front yard, no dogs allowed. Then there is the dog's yard, which is basically dirt now. And the run for the boarding kennel. And the parking lot for the business, and wasted space where we park extra cars. So, it probably was a huge yard at one time, now it's all chopped up.

wolf_Q
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Congrats!!!:) Will you be getting a home inspection? Will you be selling your current home or just renting it out? If so good luck. :)

Yeah getting an inspection and we are going to rent out this house. It's in perfect (older and kind of beat up ha ha) rental shape. I will make it pet friendly, depending on meeting the pets.

Twisterdog that definitely sounds bigger than 1100 sq ft with 4 bedrooms. Does it have a family room and a living room?