PDA

View Full Version : Woman attempts to mail puppy

cassiesmom
02-07-2011, 05:17 PM
From Steve Dale's pet blog, although I heard about this on the radio too, and it made me sick to my stomach when I thought about what might have happened.

--------------
I am sorry - but I have no other word - this is stupid. . . worse than a really bad sitcom plot.

A Minneapolis postal worker was stunned when a package moved by itself and fell to the floor. Then came the sounds of heavy panting.

Within minutes, she and co-workers unwrapped a tightly sealed box and rescued a four-month-old puppy that a Minneapolis woman actually tried to mail to Georgia.

The air holes the woman punched in the box were covered with mailing tape, and the priority mail trip would have taken at least two days. If the puppy didn't suffocate, the pup would have died as a result of traveling in the cargo hold of an airplane, which dips to around 40 below at 40,000 feet.

Champion paid $22 to send the black poodle-schnauzer mix puppy named Guess to Georgia via priority mail. Champion said no, but she cautioned postal workers to "be careful" as they handled the box because "it was so delicate."

On the outside of the package Champion wrote: "This is for your 11th birthday. It's what you wanted," She reportedly told the clerk, according to wdbj7.com, that if sounds came from the package, not to worry, it just contained a toy robot.

When the box began moving and making noise, workers called a postal inspector -- the Postal Service's enforcement arm -- and received permission to open the package.

Guess was unwrapped, and seemed to be okay, but drank a great deal of water.

Champion was cited for misdemeanor animal cruelty and has 10 days to appeal. The dog is at the city's animal control facility. If Champion declines or loses her appeal, Guess would go up for adoption.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/steve-dale-pet-world/2011/02/can-you-say-stupid-woman-attempts-to-mail-a-puppy.html#ixzz1DJmAIEC9

Karen
02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
How completely irresponsible and stupid!

Freedom
02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Read about this in the newspaper.

Sure hope that puppy lands in a wonderful home and has a terrific life!

Idiots, they're everywhere.

gini
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Well the solution seems simple enough to me............we just put that sweet little lady in a cardboard box, cut some airholes, but cover them with tape - and send her by post down to visit her niece in person.

Oh, and if the box moans or screams - don't worry - it's just a robot....a large one yes, but just a very stupid robot inside.

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2011, 06:22 PM
She'd better NOT get that puppy back!!! :mad:
I can't even believe that! Some people really are that dumb. :(

pomtzu
02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Put her in a box - seal up the air holes - and ship her to Siberia.

Geeze - it takes all kinds............:mad:

Catty1
02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Were the addressees in Georgia genuine owners-to-be and had NO idea about this woman's idiocy?

momcat
02-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Well the solution seems simple enough to me............we just put that sweet little lady in a cardboard box, cut some airholes, but cover them with tape - and send her by post down to visit her niece in person.

Oh, and if the box moans or screams - don't worry - it's just a robot....a large one yes, but just a very stupid robot inside.

Gini, I could not agree with you more!!! Would you mind if I suggest something to your list? Let's not mark the package for special handling. How totally stupid can a person be?

kaycountrygal
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Mon night, Feb 7
I heard on news tonight that the woman wants the dog back AND also wants money back for the postage for dog box. I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at the entire incident.... Kay

cassiesmom
02-07-2011, 08:32 PM

Don't tell her first.

I can't imagine how scared that puppy was. This story is still making me sick to my stomach.

Catty1
02-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Other stories say she was trying to send the puppy to her son in Georgia. I really hope the lack of common sense doesn't run in the family....

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/update-woman-who-tried-to-mail-puppy-wont-get-him-back/

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/share/27/271/165/2716568_431.jpg

A Minneapolis court administrator called Stacey Champion’s attempt to ship a puppy through the U.S. Mail, “disgraceful” and denied her custody of the dog in a hearing on Monday.

Ms. Champion got a lot of attention last week after she stuffed a 4-month-old puppy inside a box, taped it shut and tried to mail the animal from Minneapolis to Georgia, via USPS.

The puppy named Guess was rescued by post office employees and has been under the care of Minneapolis Animal Care and Control.

Champion had 10 days to regain custody of Guess and her appeal was heard by an administrative officer this morning.

The Uptake (http://theuptake.org/2011/02/07/minneapolis-animal-care-control-hearing-on-woman-who-attempted-to-mail-dog/) streamed the 15 minute appeal at City Hall, where Ms. Champion defended her action of trying to send Guess through USPS priority mail to her son in Atlanta. She wanted the young dog returned to her and asked for a refund of the $22 priority mail fee she paid.

She told Administrative Hearing Officer Fabian Hoffner that she didn’t think she had done anything wrong because there were no signs in the Post Office stating that a live animal couldn’t be mailed.

Champion also stated that she had punched air holes in the box and left a water bottle for the puppy.

A spokesperson from the Post Office told Hoffner that tape around the box covered the air holes and the puppy would have died if he hadn’t been discovered by the clerk behind the shipping counter.

He also said Champion told the clerk, three or four times that the box contained a toy robot.

Ultimately Hoffner denied Champion’s appeal to regain custody of Guess. He said, “You cannot tell me you thought you were doing the right thing.”

Ms. Champion said she was human and that everybody makes mistakes.

Champion still faces two counts of animal cruelty charges. Guess will now be eligible for adoption.

Click Here (http://theuptake.org/2011/02/07/minneapolis-animal-care-control-hearing-on-woman-who-attempted-to-mail-dog/) to see the full administrative hearing.

Related Story:

Woman Tries to Send Live Puppy Through U.S. Mail (http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/woman-tries-to-mail-a-live-puppy/)

Miss Z
02-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Ms. Champion said she was human and that everybody makes mistakes.

Yet some humans make bigger mistakes than others.... :rolleyes:

Surely alarm bells would ring in even the most simple of minds at this idea - it saddens me that people can be so dense. At least the puppy was rescued in time, and I hope Guess finds a loving forever home!

lizbud
02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
She doesn't know enough about animals to even be able to hold one
in her hands. That, or she does and doesn't care. What a ignorant woman.

lvpets2002
02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
:( How so sick & horrible.. Poor puppy & maybe now the baby will get a new home..

I aggree with you pomtzu..