PDA

View Full Version : Do You Recognize your Dog's Bark?

K9karen
02-07-2011, 12:29 AM
I hope this isn't a repeat thread..can't remember...sorry if it is..

I thought I knew this, but decided to become more alert about it.

Mz Logan's not a constant barker, but she has her own special language. She barks anxiously at the front door if she hears the mailman, or if somebody rings the bell she doesn't know. If she knows the person, her barks are shorter and she may start to whine.

If I'm watching TV and she has to go out or needs more water, she'll stare at me and bark once, like a demand. Stop, wait about 3 seconds and do it again. That's how I know what she wants.

She'll show no barking mercy to a squirrel. But a few weeks ago, during her last outie, she ran down to the back of the fence and growled and barked ferociously, which she rarely does. I hate when she barks at night, so I grabbed a flashlight, and saw a deer running from 2 back yards away. When Mz Logan barks like that, though rarely, I never ignore it. Once, in the middle of the night, she barked like that from inside. We all ran downstairs, turned on the porch light, opened the front door, to find someone running from my brother's car. Mz Logan scared him away. Turns out, our neighbor's car was broken into the same night.

Anyway, just wondering how you relate to your dog's barks.

luvofallhorses
02-07-2011, 12:57 AM
They each have different barks that's how I know. :)

Freedom
02-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I can tell which of the 5 it is that's barking.

They get a deeper, much throatier bark when they are "serious" as opposed to "open the door I wanna to through."

Drives my Dad nuts, if I'm busy in the kitchen, I'll call out, "Can you get the door, Lacey wants to come in!" He has no clue which one is which, hee heeeeee.

Marlin is the funniest. When he is out and wants in, he gives a "bark BARK!" and waits. You BETTER open that door instantly (of course this doesn't happen ) cuz next he starts the "woe is me whine:" I'm all alone, no one loves me, I've been left out here . . . " And that keeps on until we get to the door. :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Zoee barks at anything and everything. But I can tell when she hears something, or sees something. Then I can tell if it is just the "let me in!" bark.

Taggart rarely barks, so I know there's something up when he does bark.
Then Taggart also makes a chewbaca (sp?) sound when he sees me coming up the walk and is excited.

lizbud
02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I can tell which dog is barking most of the time. Both have loud barks
and each kind of bark means different things. There is the "someone is at the door" bark and there is a "there is another dog out there" kind of bark.:)

You soon learn to tell what's happening without ever actually seeing it for
yourself, just by the intensity & duration of the bark.

wanwan1007
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Tip does have different barks as well. He has a higher pitched bark when he's inside and one of his toys has rolled under the couch and he can't get it. He has a constant serious bark when someone is at the door and he doesn't know them. He fusses and barks at me in the mornings when he wants to go for his walk and I'm taking to long to get it together (I'm not a morning person). He mostly talks to me though and then he'll throw a random bark in there for good measure.

IRescue452
02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
The only dog who I've met that sounded exactly like Autumn was her brother Buster.

Of course I can tell them all apart because they're distinct breeds. Only Nay has a roo-roo, only Autumn has a scream, and Wallace has a raspy bark bark.

Asiel
02-07-2011, 01:10 PM
No mistaking the bark of my dogs , right now I'm down to 1 but there's no way I could not recognize that bark from anywhere.

caseysmom
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I even recognize their poop. I was camping a few years back and my daughter and her friend walked the dogs in the evening. The next morning I was walking them and saw some poop that wasn't picked up. I picked it up since I had a bag and it looked like caseys...I went back to the campsite and got a confession....

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I even recognize their poop. I was camping a few years back and my daughter and her friend walked the dogs in the evening. The next morning I was walking them and saw some poop that wasn't picked up. I picked it up since I had a bag and it looked like caseys...I went back to the campsite and got a confession....

LOL, that's hilarious!!! :D

kokopup
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I have no trouble recognize Koko's bark because she barks so rarely. She has a franic bark if there are other animals around like Dear or Racoon but only at night. She rarely barks at people since most people that come to our house , are old friends and all they get is wags. UPS, Fedex, Post-ladie can come and go and Koko never says a word. If a strange car pulls in the drive way she will give out a few non alarmist barks but if they approach her she turns into wags. We have a very large front porch so that is where she stays most of the time.

Once in a while there will be a sound in the Television that will set her off but for the most part if we hear her bark we go to see what is wrong. When she needs to go out she will usually pace in front of us and gives out a single bark when she gets to the front door. She talks to us more than she barks. She will jabber out a long string of talk just like she knows what she is saying. If we ask her what she said, she will repeat the same jabber. She will always talk after returning from her nightly business. She has a very precise jabber when asking for a treat.

SWHouston
02-08-2011, 10:13 AM
At this time, it's not difficult to distinguish between my two..
Sneakers is M/2yo/10#, and Becca is F/7mo/5#.

We recently received a "not so polite" letter from our HOA,
complaining about barking at night. IF they had pursued
trapping the Possums and other transients, this wouldn't
have been necessary, but...

While outside...
Barking is restricted between the hours of 8 PM to 8 AM
While inside...
No restrictions, and we check out each event, except...
Postman, 1.30 PM, which includes trip upstairs to view route - both.
CoProvider Return from work, 3.30 PM, w/dashes to back door - both.

Areas of responsibility...
4.30 AM to 3.30 PM:
Sneakers - Upstairs TV room, viewing Street (south) and Driveway (east).
Becca - Downstairs Living Room - viewing Back Yard (north) and West.
3.30 PM - 8.00 PM:
Unrestricted activities - both. Includes inside Zoomies & Rough n Tumble
if outside temp is too low.
Jog with CoProvider, weather permitting - both.
Doggie Door:
Open from 8.00 AM to 8.00 PM.

Nights - 8.30 PM to 4.30 AM...
Sneakers - sleeps with Co Provider +security rounds.
Becca - sleeps with me +late night kisses, to promote play.
(discouraged but rarely refused)

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Since this thread started I've been paying close attention to Zoee's barks.
If she hears something but isn't sure what it is she gives a low single bark.
If there is someone out front in our court (even if its the neighbors she sees EVERY day) she barks several quick barks.
If someone approaches the door she sounds like she is going to tear up whatever is out there, and her hair stands up on her back, and she growls when I tell her to stop. This is all out of excitement. She just can't control herself.

Spiritwind
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I think Collies all have similar barks. What I mean is, I can tell a Collie bark from another breed barking, even if I don't own the dog...

I have a lot of people, when they are coming to see the dogs.. or look at a puppy I may have available say they can tell Collies live here because they recognize the collie bark as well....

However all my dogs have their own barks. If they are outside barking, or inside the house barking in another room of the house, I know their barks and can tell if it's Paris or Kelsey or Sage or Tyler etc..etc..etc just by their barks... some are mouthier than others....

If I have everyone outside and Paris is barking like crazy but no one else is barking.... it's more than likely nothing because Paris just likes to hear herself bark lol On the other hand Tyler is a quieter boy so if he is barking there is probably a reason...

anna_66
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
If you'd ever heard mine you'd know which is which. My mom does even on the phone!

I think Bon has the same bark for everything:rolleyes: A BIG, LOUD, BELLOWING bark that sounds ferocious even if he's just happy to see me or Mark. You never really know what he wants.

Simba is pretty much the same, but his is a yippie totally aggravating bark.

Roxey doesn't bark much, she howls mostly. And usually she'll howl, nose me and then walk to what she wants.

I think Huney is the only one who really has different barks. She's got this one when she's in the house and it is so high pitched you feel like it's going to break your ear drums! Then outside it's more of a "Hey, what was that" kind of bark. If she wants something she'll nose me then make this little growly whine noise that's so cute, like her:love:

I have to say though, we have pergo floors and I do know which of them is walking through the house lol.

lvpets2002
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
:) Sure my dogs have diff barks sounds..

Roxyluvsme13
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Lily barks at every little thing she hears, but I definitely know her bark. Her "I hear a strange noise outside bark" is a little half bark/growl type of deal and then if someone's barging in the house or she thinks there's going to be an intruder, it's Pomeranian Yap Patrol barkfest :D. She also barks in her sleep. It's a little yip with a bit of a growl :love:

Twisterdog
02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I can tell which of my nine is barking without looking, and what they are barking at.

Freaks out my non-dog friends, who say, "How do you DO that?" I say they are my kids ... don't you know your kids' voices?

AdoreMyDogs
02-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Cute thread :)

Neither of my two bark very much, but I can tell which dog is barking, and a bark at an animal vs. a stranger, as well as their other barks. Even though they are both big dogs and similar in size (Kersey is 75 pounds, Boone is 90 pounds), I can tell their poops apart from each other. Boone is a poop walker, and his are bigger. Kersey keeps hers in a neat pile, and hers are smaller. I can tell their panting apart, and I can tell their lapping up water from the water bowls apart from each other.

K9karen
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
How interesting and amusing! Thanks all! We're such good mommies and daddies! (And we recognize poops! We rock!) :D

wolf_Q
02-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Killer barks the most by far, just because huskies really aren't barkers. He sounds pretty vicious when he barks at the fence, he's a great guard dog. His "guard dog" bark is very deep. When he's excited he has this little girly yippy bark, it cracks me up. He also does these growling howls when he's happy. He's dramatic with his yawns and grunts too.

Nebo really only barks when I ask him to speak. It's a pretty deep intimidating bark. The rest of the time he doesn't bark at all, he's very quiet. If you mess with him (hugging, etc.) he does a lot of growling, he's pretty vocal that way. He growls quite a bit when playing too.

Keva is the most vocal of the huskies. If she wants something (like dinner) she's not afraid to howl at me to let me know. She will sometimes bark at random strangers too. She barks at the neighbor whenever he goes out to feed his dogs. She used to bark her deep, guard dog bark at him and wouldn't shut up. Now he tosses some food over the fence so her barking starts out guard dog then quickly turns into her "I want food" howl. :rolleyes: She also has a "bathtime song" it's a very unhappy and loud song. ;)

Skya is also very quiet, but when she does bark it's hilarious. Every thing about that dog is weird. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but it's a strange bark/howl thing like "ra ra ra roo." She doesn't know how to howl either, she screams. If you get one dog howling, the whole pack will join in (even Killer) and its pretty easy to pick out each dogs voice, especially hers. If she wants something she makes this high pitched yip/growl...it sounds like a puppy noise.

But yes, to answer the original question, yes I always know which dogs bark (or howl or other strange noises) is which.