PDA

View Full Version : My cat is no longer using her litter box.

mechmuertos
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
2 weeks ago one of my two cats passed away. Now the other one seems depressed, though she is eatting and drinking. However, now she doesn't use her kitty litter box, opting instead to do her business close to wherever she is sleeping, she rarely moves around anymore either even when called. Can someone please help.

krazyaboutkatz
02-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Welcome to PT.:) I'm sorry to hear about your cat.:( First I would take her to your vet so that she can be checked out to rule out a physical problem. Then if there's nothing wrong with her physically it must be behavioral. It sounds like she may be depressed due to the loss of your other cat. Here's a great website that talks about litter box problems and provides solutions for them: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox. Good luck.:)

moosmom
02-07-2011, 05:31 AM
KAK said it best!! Please get her to a vet to see if it's not a UTI. Also, do not wash any bedding the other kitty used, as it has her scent on it and will bring the surviving kitty comfort.

Medusa
02-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of one of your kitties. You're probably right; the surviving kitty more than likely is depressed b/c of it. However, I concur w/the above opinions; take your kitty to your vet and have her checked out to be sure it isn't something physical that's causing her lapse in using the litter box. Give her a gentle pet for me and please keep us posted.

catmandu
02-07-2011, 09:24 AM
My Princesss:love: went through a spell where she would not use her litter box as she missed her friend the Moose.:love:
I bought her a brand new box and put newspaper and flyers around the box, and would put her in the box and eventually she was fine.:love:
We pray that your Little Cat will get over her depression and use her box again soon:cool:

momcat
02-07-2011, 12:03 PM
The best you can do for your kitty is get a vet check to rule out a physical problem. Be sure to tell your vet about your RB kitty and when all of this started. Please let us know how things work out?

kaycountrygal
02-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Back in Nov & Dec, my Luke cat did not always use his litter box. Sometimes he used the dog's newspapers instead. With him, it turned out that he was severely constipapted & he would try to bm but have great difficulty & discomfort. MAYBE he associated his pain with bm with the litter box. Now that his consitipation is corrected after several trips to vet, he is using litter box all the time.

So, is your cat having regular bm's or straining?

I also agree with others who suggested you take your cat to the vet for a checkup. Your cat probably is depressed but still I'd take her to the vet... Kay

mechmuertos
02-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, sorry I have not responded till now but I thought any replies would go to my email (shocker). Slowly my cat is coming out of her depression a little more active and I've been coaxing her to jump around the chairs and couches and I've noticed her using her kitty box again. Whew.

phesina
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Prayers and good wishes for your kitty and you both. Glad to hear she is doing a little better.