PDA

View Full Version : Geeks - help. please!

Catty1
02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
A few days ago I visited some first-time clients. There were two computers - an HP laptop and desktop, both running Vista (I know!).

The desktop problem was fine - removed some rogue spyware, did other cleanups, and all was well. I return tomorrow to install the max 8GB RAM as the client wants it smokin'! lol

Did the same stuff to her hubby's laptop. The ONLY thing I did differently was to let disk defrag run for a while, and then stop it part way thru as they were going to run it regularly.

I get an email saying that some of the laptop's programs, including iTunes, will not open.

What the heck could have caused this? It has the maximum RAM - I was asked to look at it because it was running slowly. Scans turned up no malware or viruses.

HELP.

Thank you!

kokopup
02-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Stopping a defrag in the middle of the process runs the risk of corrupting files on the hard drive. Defragging is moving a fragmented file to one contiguous
location. Stopping the process in the middle can have the results you have recieved.

Catty1
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
THANK YOU.:):):love::love:

So - run the defrag again and let it finish?

And if things are not behaving, then run Checkdisk?

Thank you so so much...it was the ONLY thing I could think of. DD on Vista isn't exactly speedy....

Karen
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes, never stop a defrag halfway through. Run it again, and you may need to reinstall iTunes - you did, I hope, back everything up before you started ...

Catty1
02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Karen...I was just running scans so I backed nothing up.

Having admitted that, I am asking for HUGE PRAYERS....:(

blue
02-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Ive canceled defrags without problems but its not recommended. RUn it again and do a CHKDSK. If it isnt Vista you should be fine, if its Vista do a backup first. If anything is vista do a back up.

Catty1
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
It's Vista. :(

I too had stopped defrags without problems, but not in Vista. :(

More prayers requested....

blue
02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
With Vista even if your running a defrag, start backing up files. It cant hurt.

Puckstop31
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
How much RAM did it have to start? I ask, because unless they are running an application that will use the extra RAM, adding more won't help, speed wise, much.

What apps, other than iTunes fail to run?

Try turning UAC off and see if that helps. UAC in Vista is awful and can cause many 3rd party TSR/Service based apps to not work correctly.

What AV software are they running? Are you sure there is only ONE AV software installed? We had a client install 3 different AV programs on his laptop. He thought it would make him more secure. LOL

As for DD... Just set it up in the scheduler. Have it kick off at like 1am on a certain day of the week and ask the user to just leave the computer on that night. Windows 7 gives even more options on this front.

Catty1
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks - I will double check the desktop specs; I am not sure if it is 64 or 32 bit.

I've been advised to run Checkdisk (from another person - I did an emergency APB on this cause I want anything I do to WORK!).

And yes, the one client may get along very well with 7GB RAM. I'll check that out.

Her hubby had installed an antivirus on her computer that was definitely part of the problem!

I'll start the laptop on CkDsk when I get there and then install the RAM.

THANK YOU ALL!

Puckstop31
02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks - I will double check the desktop specs; I am not sure if it is 64 or 32 bit.

I've been advised to run Checkdisk (from another person - I did an emergency APB on this cause I want anything I do to WORK!).

And yes, the one client may get along very well with 7GB RAM. I'll check that out.

Her hubby had installed an antivirus on her computer that was definitely part of the problem!

I'll start the laptop on CkDsk when I get there and then install the RAM.

THANK YOU ALL!

One GB of RAM over 4 is not going to be a difference maker. ODD numbers if RAM (as in 3-5-7, etc...) is not a good idea, especially if the computer is running a multi-core processor. (Can you even install odd amounts of RAM in a multi-core? I'm not a super hardware geek. I'm Network/Firewall guy. LOL)

Yes, uninstall ALL AV software and see if things get better. If it does, reinstall ONE. I generally turn off the scheduled "active" scans. They are resource hogs and almost never find something that has not already run. Ya know? I prefer stuff that just shuts the door, rather than cleans up a mess.

Good Luck!

Catty1
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
The desktop is running Vista Home Premium 32 bit - factory installed is my guess. Puck, it has 4 slots that hold a max of 2GB each...so could theoretically put 2GB in 3 slots and leave 1GB in the fourth.

It comes with 3.5 from the factory.

The problem computer is the laptop. Praying on that one! Leaving in 20 minutes, driving uphill in deep snow BOTH WAYS ;) . Will post when I get back.

Thanks again all!:love:

Catty1
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, the laptop is here. Aside from iTunes not opening up at all, it was erratic - wouldn't shut down with normal start menu commands, ran fast, then slow...

Anyway, backing up and doing a restore. Making sure I get all the iTunes music on a separate backup.

And...I don't feel I can charge for this as there is no way to prove I didn't cause the problem.

Anyway...just wanna get this fixed.;)