PDA

View Full Version : For Those Dealing with Ice/Sleet/Snow

Karen
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
I mentioned in another thread, Groundhog Day was my Aunt Zsa's birthday. In her memory, I have a reminder/request, especially for anyone older, or with balance issues.

If you are going outside - even for just a second, stick your cell phone in your pocket. Any time you step outside, even just to let someone out, or grab the mail, even if you are in your bathrobe and slippers - grab the cell phone. Get in the habit. It could save your life, and save you from a lot of pain.

One winter, Aunt Zsa stepped out to grab the mail, slipped on the ice and fell, and lay there for over half an hour in the cold until a neighbor happened by. She was bruised and embarrassed, but grateful that someone drove by and saw her, otherwise she knew she well could have frozen to death, 6 feet from her own door, because she could not get up on the ice, just could not find her balance or a non-slippery spot. And if she had hit her head, and lost consciousness, she would also have been in more trouble. She knew where her phone was - just inside the door on the table, fully charged and completely useless from where she lay.

Grab your phone, it could save your life.

catnapper
02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Karen, my grandmother died from slipping on the ice. She laid there for hours before she was found, and died a couple days later from the brain swelling. If we got her to the hospital right after the fall, we might still have her with us.

Thank you for putting forth the reminder for everyone. Falling on ice is VERY serious.

Alysser
02-05-2011, 06:41 PM
My mom always asks me why I have to take my phone everywhere, even just in the garage. I always say the same thing "Ma, you never know what's going to happen". Thanks for the reminder, Karen! It is scary to think about!

Karen
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
My mom always asks me why I have to take my phone everywhere, even just in the garage. I always say the same thing "Ma, you never know what's going to happen". Thanks for the reminder, Karen! It is scary to think about!

Now you can tell her Aunt Zsa's story, and say "Karen made me!"

chocolatepuppy
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Very good advice Karen. I'm working on following it ALL the time.:o

phesina
02-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Excellent reminder.. Thank you, Karen.

momcat
02-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Because of a health issue, I always have my cell phone in case of an emergency.

If I may, there's one thing I'd like to add to your important message. On your cell phone include the contact I.C.E. (In case of emergency) then the phone number of your emergency contact. I did run into a problem not too long ago and my son was called in a fraction of the time it would have taken otherwise.

Husky_mom
02-05-2011, 07:44 PM
this is one of the best uses a cell phone has..

I even take it into the bathroom.. one never knows..

ramanth
02-05-2011, 09:46 PM
I second this. My great Aunt fell in her driveway this past Fall and broke her leg and jaw. She laid there for 2 hours until a neighbor happened to drive by.

Definitely grab that phone.

pomtzu
02-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Good idea Karen - and don't forget the Medic Alert call buttons. Those aren't just for "seniors" with medical issues, but very beneficial to anyone of any age - especially if you live alone.

I subscribed to one of those systems AFTER I fell on ice in my driveway and fractured my hip/femur. I laid there helpless in the freezing rain for what seemed like forever (even tho it was only a few minutes), before a couple of guys in a pickup driving down the road in front of my house saw me and heard me calling for help. It was mid afternoon and still light out - heaven forbid if it had happened in the dark of night.

The first thing I did after I got out of the hospital and rehab, was to check out these systems. The one I have, has a range of 600', so it would alert the response center if I pushed the panic button, from anywhere in the house or yard. I've accidentally set it off several times, and the call center is right on it - calling me to see if I need assistance. They also call me for a test once a month, just to be sure that the system is operating properly. I don't constantly have to remember to have my cell phone on me, or worry if the battery is low. If I was out of voice range and activated it, and the center called me and got no response from me, then they would alert 911 and the emergency contacts that I have on file with them. It's well worth the few $$ a month, and even tho I've never needed it the the 3 years that I've had it, I wouldn't ever be without it.

BarbPond
02-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Good advise Karan!!!

I always have my cell phone with me. My hubby is on the road about 5 days out of 7 so I am home alone alot and not getting any younger! Also I worry he my need to contact me if he is in a driving emergency.

If you dont have a pocket then get one of those things that hook to a belt or somewhere else on your clothes.

I have fallen before. I tripped over a cat-- go figure! As I was falling I tried to grab a kitchen chair and it went sailing and broke! And I did not have the cell phone anywhere near me but thankfully my neighbor was outside and actually heard me hit the floor. She ran to the back door and yelled for me. I yelled back and told her the front door was open. Anyhow I just ended up with a broken arm and a headache. The front door now stays unlocked unless I am sleeping. I am not worried about anyone unwanted coming inside because I have a "10 cat scatter" alarm!

But if someone calls and I dont answer it is normally because I am extra busy at the time. I call back as soon as possible.

K9karen
02-06-2011, 11:58 PM
The one time I needed it in an emergency, I left it home. I was able to flag down a motorist but time had passed. Thanks, Karen, for the reminder.

Great reminder about ICE!

Medic Alert is wonderful. Even though I home cared my mom and was usually home, I got one for her anyway. Of course, she didn't want it, blah, blah, blah, but I put that sucker around her neck anyway. It went off every time I dusted the table where the main system was and they answered in less than 1/2 a second. I'd always tell them I was dusting them off!

Laura's Babies
02-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Not just when there is ice outside. I have a neighbor who Mother died last summer, unable to get back into the house, she laid on the concrete and died in the heat. They said the heat started cooking her body. They all had nightmares about her laying there like that before she was found.

Medusa
02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Yep, I'm w/ya, Karen. I carry mine even when going out to feed the birds or get the mail, even if the weather is good. Last year I was rolling my trash can to the street and stepped in a divit in the yard. I fell and somehow got my arm caught in the handle of the trash can, so it fell on top of me. What a ridiculous situation! I laid there and laughed and finally managed to extricate myself. I wasn't hurt, until the next day, that is. Then I was plenty sore. After that incident, I always make sure I have my cell phone w/me. We just never know.

anna_66
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Very good advice Karen. If only I could get my mother to do it!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Great advise for everyone regardless of age and weather.

My grandma fell in her garage this past October. She broke her leg pretty badly. Luckily the weather was nice and she was able to drag herself out to her driveway. It wasn't too long before a man drove by and saw her. He stopped and called 911. He stayed with her until the ambulance arrived. She was lucky everything turned out so well, it could have been a lot worse.

Last Valentines day, my husband, who was 28 at the time, had been working in the barn. He came in the house, took his boots off and then realized he didn't close the barn door. He tossed his flip flops on and ran out there to close it. It's a big, heavy, metal door and he accidentally shut it on his foot. It sliced through he toes. He didn't have his phone and he couldn't get the door off his toes. He ended up ripping his foot out from under the door, causing more damage to his toes. He then had to drag himself to the house (he couldn't walk). I drove him to the emergency room. Had he had his phone I could have help get the door off his foot and the damage to his toes wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

Cataholic
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
These stories are so alarming! I usually have my cell phone attached to my ear, literally. I have never thought of all that could go wrong in the yard, taking out the trash, etc.

I remember in early fall, I was driving J to school. It was a Wednesday morning, and our one neighbor, next block down, had started to return the garbage cans to the houses. He is a super nice guy that way, he takes the trash out, and the cans back to the house for probably 10 people. (Not me, I live on the wrong block).

Anyhow, he had fallen and couldn't get up- no joke. He suffered a stroke years ago, and has mobility issues. I saw him on the ground!!! It was all I could do not to burst out into tears, seeing him lying there. What if I hadn't happened along? I go slow, and notice stuff like that. What if, what if...

Anyhow, he told me how to help him get up, and he was so sweaty. I could tell he had tried quite a bit himself, already. Makes me sad all over again just thinking about it. I might tell him next time I see him out and about, to get a cell phone and have it with him! He walks every single am....in the dark.