PDA

View Full Version : Another online privacy invasion

Freedom
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
There's a site called spokeo.com. It's a new online USA phone book w/personal info. Everything from pics you've posted on FB or the web, your approx credit score, photos of your home, etc.

Remove yourself by searching your name, copy the URL of your page, then go to the bottom of the home page and click on the Privacy button to remove yourself.

It pulls from Amazon.com, where the default setting for your profile is: share all my info with the online world! :rolleyes:

It pulls your house price from zillow.com

Picks up photos and videos from FB, MySpace, photobucket, and youtube.

And on and on and on.

Oh, and at least one Canadian found her info on there as well.

Some info can only be "seen" if the person pays for a report. Other info, like the satellite view of your home, is available for free.

I have sent this notice out in email to all my friends and family, plus posted it on my FB account, to help spread the word.

pomtzu
02-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I typed my name in, and that of some other family members too. I certainly would hope that the paid for info would be more accurate than what they show publicly. The only thing that was correct on any that I looked at, was sex and age range. VERY outdated info showing!

Anyone can find your house on Google Maps or Google Earth too - that's been available for a long time. You can not only get the satellite view, but on enhanced ones, you can get the street view too. I can type in my address and actually ride up and down the road I live on.

happylabs
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
THANK YOU for this information! I just went to Amazon to find out that all of my settings there are set to everyone. Grrrrrr I changed everything to private. Sometimes I hate computers.

gini
02-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I found the information listed to be very outdated as well.

robinh
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Someone at work told me about this on Monday. Some of the information on me was outdated, but still kind of spooky that someone can find that much out without you ever knowing. I did remove myself and my SO just in case. I would prefer that not everyone know exactly where I live.

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I wasn't expecting to find myself on there, but I am and the information is very outdated. Technically though, no one could really find out anything about me, seeing as I go by my middle name. If it had been listed under my first name, might have worried me a bit more. I removed it though, thanks Freedom! :)

momcat
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Another reason to hate computers!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: PT is the ONLY computer site I ever access because it's the only one that can be trusted. What makes these non functional, illiterate computer j..k-o..s think they have the right to invade our personal information then make it public?

Thanks for the warning! Whatever life form came up with this belongs in jail!