PDA

View Full Version : Ouch - The Dreaded Ice

pomtzu
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
A lot of the country is getting nasty weather - snow, ice, freezing rain - all that crappy stuff. We were supposed to get ice overnight, but we had just a little snow. I got up around 4 a.m. to take the pups out, and there was just a light drizzle falling, but the porch and steps were just wet - no problem. Went back to bed and got up around 6:30 and took them out again before I got them their breakfast. Walked the few steps across the porch with no problem, then took the first step down - and I was airborne!!! The steps had turned to solid ice from that little bit of drizzle. I was carrying Myndi and she went flying out of my arms and on to the the cement patio, but thankfully wasn't hurt since it is only 3 steps down. It happened so fast, that I can't figure out how I landed the way I did - sitting on my butt on the top step. Yet my left arm hurts, my left leg has a nasty bruise on the shin and ankle, and my back and neck are killing me. The back thing is not good, since I just had major back surgery in December, and I'm still on a ton of restrictions with that. I sure hope I didn't do any damage in that department. I go back for another post op check next week, so I supposed I'll have to tell doc about the incident.

It must be getting nastier out too, since first there was a 2 hour delay for the start of schools in this district, and now they have just canceled the whole day. Supposed to be more messy weather later today and thru tomorrow a.m., but it's supposed to be warm enough by then for just rain. Keeping fingers crossed!

So I could use a few good PT prayers - that I didn't screw anything up in my back. I sure as heck don't need any more problems there - it hasn't been fun.

Thanks all.....and all of you be careful and don't pull any stupid stunts like I did! :eek::p;)

Medusa
02-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, what are we going to do w/you?! My good friend fell on the ice last year on Feb. 3 and she was bed ridden for nearly 4 months and used a walker until just last month and she was only 50 when it happened. She broke her leg and her ankle in 3 places. I know you have to take the pups out (one of the advantages of having cats; we don't have to do that) but, please, be extra careful. Of course, prayers are going up for you right now. I hope you're not in a lot of pain. :love:

pomtzu
02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes Mary - ice is my downfall - OOPS - no pun intended. :eek: It was 3 years ago this month that I fell on ice in the driveway and fractured my hip/femur. I'll pay in pain with that for the rest of my life! :mad:

Freedom
02-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Ellie, I am so sorry you fell and OUCH! But your written description did get me laughing -- airborne indeed! Did you really not trust the weatherman that much?!

I am glad Myndi is OK. And I pray that you are only bruised and will be fine all over. Sore now, you KNOW you are going to hut more before you hurt less. :( Tylenol, Ibuprofin, whatever it is that you take, start NOW, don't wait.

Bonny
02-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Good thoughts & prayers sent your way. We had a good foot of snow here yesterday & are due for more this afternoon. School has been called off here too. The winds are to pick up later on today & the snow is so light & fluffy it is going to really drift & the road ditches are already full.

Do you have those rubber ice cleats to pull over your shoes or boots? I have seen them at Wal Mart. When it is icy here we slip them on over our boots & they work really well.

pomtzu
02-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you have those rubber ice cleats to pull over your shoes or boots? I have seen them at Wal Mart. When it is icy here we slip them on over our boots & they work really well.

I sure do, and they work great - when I use them. :eek: I got them thru QVC last year, and they have been a lifesaver. They are on my boots that are sitting by the back door, but I went out with my slippers on when I went flying. Hey - it was only wet and not icy when I went out earlier - how dare it get colder and freeze! :mad:

Actually the fall probably could have been a lot worse than it was. I had Myndi tucked under my left arm, and was holding on to the railing with my right hand. If I hadn't had hold of that railing, there would have been nothing to partially break my fall - other than my hand which would have gotten me a broken wrist - again! :p

Asiel
02-01-2011, 09:42 AM
OUCH big time Ellie-- I know exactly how that feels, did the same thing a few yrs ago and you can bet I never set foot on anything that looks "just wet". I remember laying there freezing with drizzle falling on me and the dogs going crazy and howling because I couldn't get up. A few cracked vertebrae from that experience.
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you didn't do any serious damage to that newly operated back , that would be no picnic after what you've been through.
Please keep those eyes open and your feet solidly planted until you check the conditions.

Karen
02-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I dread ice, and am glad when it snows instead. I am hoping the vaunted "rain/snow line" stays South of here, as it is theoretically supposed to do.

I'd tell you "be careful," Pomtzu, but I guess it's too late for this time!

Laura's Babies
02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
((((HUGS)))) OWIE!! :eek:

I have memories from my childhood of icy steps... I am scared of ice!!

lizbud
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
How are you feeling now Ellie? Sometimes after the shock of the fall is
over, the pain really starts to set in. Can you get someone to spread de-icer
around your steps for you? Can the pups get around on the ice pretty good?

We had all freezing rain last night and everything outside is covered in
ice. No snow, all ice.:( We are supposed to get more freezing rain today
and tonight.

pomtzu
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
How are you feeling now Ellie? Sometimes after the shock of the fall is
over, the pain really starts to set in. Can you get someone to spread de-icer
around your steps for you? Can the pups get around on the ice pretty good?

We had all freezing rain last night and everything outside is covered in
ice. No snow, all ice.:( We are supposed to get more freezing rain today
and tonight.

I'm sore, but I know it will be worse tomorrow. My son put down Ice Melt before he left for work. He doesn't even know I fell - he would have read me the riot act for not waiting for him to take them out. I'm surprised he didn't hear the thud, but their bedroom is on the opposite end of the house and he was busy getting ready to leave for work, so I lucked out! :p

The pups don't do good on ice, and they just go out in the yard to "graze". It's getting up and down the steps that's a challenge, and that's why I have to carry Old Lady Myndi. Poor girl didn't know what to think this morning after she went flying out of my arms. She just stood on the patio, looking at me sitting on the step, and had the most bewildered look on her face - almost like "Why did you throw me down the steps Mom???" Thank goodness she wasn't hurt.

We will get rain and/or ice thru the night tonight too. I am so hoping for rain. Hey - I'll even take snow rather than ice. I'm thinking rain tho, since we are close to the coast and the forecast is saying probably rain for this area.

cassiesmom
02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
((((HUGS)))) OWIE!! :eek:

I have memories from my childhood of icy steps... I am scared of ice!!

I am too, more so than snow. (((HUGS))) Take good care!

When I was going home from work last night, it seemed to be misting/sleeting, but whatever was falling (rain? snow?) was freezing as it hit my windshield! I had the defroster going full blast so I could see where it was going. It was the strangest thing.

kaycountrygal
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, dear, So sorry to hear about your fall on ice. Hope you and you doggy will be ok. We've had bad ice storms in NC in years past & one small one this year & I know how bad it can be. I have a suggestion & this is something that I do when I think it's slick outside. I did it our last ice/snow in Jan.

Get some BIG oversized socks and put them on OVER your shoes. The socks sort of stick to the ice & it makes walking easier if you have to go outside... but still, be very careful. I guess it would be best to not go outside but I understand the dogs have to go. Kay in NC, T Feb 2 2011

anna_66
02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh gosh, those slips and falls can be bad. I hope you didn't mess anything up and are only sore for a couple day.

chocolatepuppy
02-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I hope you're doing alright. Ice starting here now. :(

Pinot's Mom
02-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Get some BIG oversized socks and put them on OVER your shoes. The socks sort of stick to the ice & it makes walking easier if you have to go outside... but still, be very careful. I guess it would be best to not go outside but I understand the dogs have to go. Kay in NC, T Feb 2 2011

We're prepping for more ice here. :(

krazyaboutkatz
02-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you fell and injured yourself.:( Hopefully you didn't hurt yourself too badly and you'll heal up quickly. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way.

I think that if I had small dogs and I lived where it was icy or snowing then I would train my dogs to go on pee pads instead of having to take them outside in this kind of weather. It may be easier said than done though.

phesina
02-01-2011, 08:30 PM

WHAT a great idea! Thanks!

Asiel
02-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Great idea, big socks OVER your shoes and on top of that the CLEATS that are so neatly placed behind your door :D :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist that one :p

smokey the elder
02-03-2011, 10:49 AM
There's a product called YakTrax which are silicone rubber mesh with metal wire wrapped around them that fit over your shoes, that some of my co-workers swear by. See, for example: http://www.bestinsoles.com/Yaktrax-Walker-Traction-Cleats-for-Snow-and-Ice--Black_p_956.html?gclid=CO7RtuC47KYCFRN-5QodMF8UAw

lizbud
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh, dear, So sorry to hear about your fall on ice. Hope you and you doggy will be ok. We've had bad ice storms in NC in years past & one small one this year & I know how bad it can be. I have a suggestion & this is something that I do when I think it's slick outside. I did it our last ice/snow in Jan.

Kay, Can't thank you enough for this idea.:D It worked great for me.:)

I needed some cat litter which I had stored in my detached garage but
the backyard is a sheet of ice. I tried the socks over shoes & it worked
out fine. Me & the kitties are very happy.:D

pomtzu
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
That's a great idea with the socks - I'll have to give it a try.

What I have is called "Get A Grip", and they are stretchable rubber with a few metal cleats embedded in the bottom (in the center of the blue areas pictured) You just pull them on over the toe and heel of your shoes or boots. They came in a nylon pouch, so lots of times I just toss them in my purse when I go out, if I will be going shopping and don't know the condition of the parking lots at the stores.

I had to wear them in the yard this morning - just to get out to my car. All the melting slush from yesterday is now frozen solid.