PDA

View Full Version : Friends in Egypt

Karen
01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Just thinking of our compatriots in Egypt, and hope everyone stays safe. I know we have officeworkers who look forward to every new Cat of the Day*, and of course there are businesses and livelihoods who depend on communication.

*Because they are so far ahead of us, in terms of timezones, they sometimes have emailed when we are "late" putting up the pets, as they count on seeing the day's kitty on their lunch break!

To all the pet people, and others in Egypt, we are thinking of you, and hoping there will be a peaceful resolution to the current crisis.

cassiesmom
01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
I have a friend from church who traveled to Cairo 2 years ago as part of a work team. Prayers for the people she and the team met and for the whole situation in Egypt.

Laura's Babies
01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Let's hope there is peace there soon. It is so disheartening to watch it on TV. On tonights news they said there are people here in the US are showing their support by holding protest here.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM
They are all in my prayers for sure!!! :love:

momcat
01-30-2011, 03:39 PM
As I watch the news, the situation in Egypt just seems to be getting worse with no peaceful end in sight. It's sad and frightening. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Egypt as well as those here worried about their families and friends.

sasvermont
01-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I hope the violence decreases and someone starts to talk new government/leaders. I am thinking it won't be easy, but one can hope for a non-violent outcome, can't one?

I don't have any current friends in Egypt, but do have friends of friends and I hope they keep calm and stay out of harms way.

Gosh, democracy can be expensive.

cassiesmom
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Let's hope there is peace there soon. It is so disheartening to watch it on TV. On tonights news they said there are people here in the US are showing their support by holding protest here.

There was a rally in Chicago yesterday - mostly Egyptian-American people showing support for the protesters in Egypt. I heard on the news last night that Mubarak has been in charge there since 1981.

momcat
01-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Our news is mostly about the violence in Egypt. Earlier they said self appointed vigilanties armed with anything they can get hold of are stopping cars supposedly looking for looters. What only adds to the sadness is that a museum was looted and considerable damage was done. According to a curator, two mummies were beheaded and King Tut artifacts have been severely damaged. These precious and priceless artifacts can never be replaced, an unspeakable loss for all of us. The news report also said the area around the pyramids is closed. My prayers continue for a peaceful resolution and for those who have lost their lives.

Karen, are there any PTers in Egypt? Is there anything we can do to help them?

Marigold2
01-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Wishing safety for all.

popcornbird
01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I have many Egyptian friends, both here in the US, and those gone back to Egypt. I pray for the safety of the people there, and for a good outcome of their united effort as a nation to stand up against their evil government. Too many people have suffered at the hands of Mubarak. He has got to go.

momcat
01-31-2011, 12:27 PM
I have many Egyptian friends, both here in the US, and those gone back to Egypt. I pray for the safety of the people there, and for a good outcome of their united effort as a nation to stand up against their evil government. Too many people have suffered at the hands of Mubarak. He has got to go.

Popcornbird, Please assure your friends who have returned to Egypt and those who remain here that special prayers are being prayed for them, their families, and all those they care for. Right now I feel so helpless. If there's anything I can do for them, would you let me know?

Karen
01-31-2011, 12:59 PM

I know there are people who check Cat of the Day every day in Egypt, but I am not sure any of them ever joined Pet Talk. And as the Internet has been cut off for most people, they cannot now even do that. Prayers for a peaceful resolution is about all we can do right now.

lizbud
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
What the heck is going on over in Asia & Northern Africa and now Jordan?
Rioting and revolution in a lot of Arab countries. I believe we are seeing
History in the making in these parts of the world. I wish I understood more
of the background of these governments and their leaders.

Karen
02-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I received this information today:

Dear Friends, many of you have asked how they can be of help. Animal rescue organizations in Egypt have a difficult time to collect donations from within Egypt at the moment. This is due to banks not working, a mainly cash based system and people having other concerns at the moment. Thousands of pets are suffering in pet shops that are closed. Horses and camels were used and got injured during demonstrations in Tahrir SQ yesterday. Organizations are asking for help from international donators. ESMA www.esmaegypt.org (http://www.esmaegypt.org) is feeding the animals in Giza zoo as nobody else is attending to them. Also SPARE (http://www.sparelives.org) and EMRO www.emaurescue.org (http://www.emaurescue.org) are respectable organizations that need help. Brooke Hospital (http://www.thebrooke.org) takes care of horses and donkeys. I am sure there are others, but these are the ones that I know and trust. Please spread the word!

cassiesmom
02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Our news is mostly about the violence in Egypt. Earlier they said self appointed vigilanties armed with anything they can get hold of are stopping cars supposedly looking for looters. What only adds to the sadness is that a museum was looted and considerable damage was done. According to a curator, two mummies were beheaded and King Tut artifacts have been severely damaged. These precious and priceless artifacts can never be replaced, an unspeakable loss for all of us. The news report also said the area around the pyramids is closed. My prayers continue for a peaceful resolution and for those who have lost their lives.

Still thinking and praying for the people of Egypt.

I heard on the news that the national museum has closed for now and some of the artifacts were returned. But Egypt is such an ancient culture, how sad for those objects to be lost.

If Mubarak does resign, does someone else high up in the government automatically take over? What if the people like that person even less than Mubarak? Popcornbird, can you help me here?

Barbara
02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Mubarak resigned!
Let's hope for a safe return to a stable and democratic government.

Randi
02-11-2011, 02:13 PM
The people in Egypt are partying now - hopefully some will remember the animals.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I am sorry to say I just had news about a man I was involved in hiring for a client late last year. The man was hired in Egypt - his home country. He has not been in contact so a messenger was sent to his home.

He was killed in the demonstrations...:(:( and his oldest son seriously injuried...

Karen
02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh, so sad. His family will be in our prayers.

phesina
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
I am so sorry. Deepest sympathy for the family, and may the son recover from his injuries.