PDA

View Full Version : Heard back from a job, but what do I do? (requiring about my disability)

CountryWolf07
01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a question. I heard back from a job I am hoping to land on in a couple weeks. It is for Faber Castell/Creativity for Kids. I heard back from the HR - good news - twice so far - and she emailed me with a response:

"Thank you so much for the quick response. I will be contacting you via phone some time early next week to have a brief discussion and then we will most likely start scheduling interviews in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Several of the managers involved in this recruiting process will be traveling over the next few weeks; so your patience is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, looking forward to speaking with you!"

Now my question is, how do I write back a response to ask about meeting in person to have that brief discussion she wants to have with me. I did not include my hearing impairment in my resume or cover letter, because I was advised not to do that. I don't want to scare the person off thinking I am incapable of speaking with her. I am unable to talk on the phone, so I feel a one-on-one meeting would be best to do in this situation. How would you write a response?

Let me know, I am wanting to write back to her at least sometime today before the weekend.

Thanks!

caseysmom
01-28-2011, 01:30 PM
As a person who does hiring where I work I would just want you to be frank, open and honest.

I would not think twice about hiring you if you had the right skill set needed.

CountryWolf07
01-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Appreciate it! I really WANT this job interview. It seems to be the most logical job for me. So we'll see. Thanks!

Randi
01-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Since you have been contacted two times, they must be interested in you. :) I would suggest you e-mail the person and tell her you are hearing impaired and therefor would like to come for an interview face to face - unless the job involves telephone conversations with customers, it shouldn't be a problem.

In our building we have a hearing impaired girl who works as a caretaker of the yard and she sometimes work in the office, too. I have spoken to her several times on the phone with no problem. She does have a hearing aid, but I'm not sure how it works.

Good luck getting the job! :)

smokey the elder
01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Do you have Skype? Does it give you enough resolution to lip-read?

Scooter's Mom
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I would be up front with them.

Email her back and explain that you have a hearing disability and that telephone conversations are a bit difficult for you. Tell her you're not looking for special treatment, but want to give an interview the very best possible so maybe they could arrange a face to face meeting.

Good luck!

CountryWolf07
01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I responded with:

"XXXX,

Thank you for your quick response and interest in speaking with me. I would like to share with you that I have a hearing loss which is mitigated well with a cochlear implant. However, meeting in person still works better for me than speaking over the phone. Accordingly, I'd like to request a meeting in person so I can fully demonstrate my abilities and experience. Please let me know what time and date works best for you.

Sincerely,
Rachel XXXXXX"

And now we wait to see what happens. :) Nervous about this one, because I really want it! Pray, pray, pray.

Freedom
01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Just seeing this, I think your response is great!

Paws crossed here that this develops for you.

Cataholic
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
That response was fantastic! Good luck!!! And, I was one of the people that suggested you leave out any mention of your impairment, as it allows people to first see you, not any disability. No matter what the law says, it does happen- people discriminate.

phesina
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Your response is excellent! Sending good wishes to you that you get the job.

Lilith Cherry
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Good luck Rachel :D That is a great reply!

Laura's Babies
01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
That was a great response!

K9karen
01-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I think you're a shoe-in! Your response was great. Honesty is the best policy, so they say.

krazyaboutkatz
01-29-2011, 08:16 PM
I hope that everything goes well and that you get the job. Good luck.:)

finn's mom
01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Well done! I hope you get the job!

Randi
01-31-2011, 04:11 AM
It's a great reply! I hope you get it - good luck! :)

anna_66
01-31-2011, 05:49 AM
That was fantastic! Wishing you good luck!

CountryWolf07
02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Still waiting on a response. We'll see. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

finn's mom
02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Any news?