PDA

View Full Version : exercise

Marigold2
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I exercise at home. I have several different CD's that I use but find myself doing them less and less. I get home tired, make myself something to eat or go out with friends after work, come home watch TV, read or play on the computer.
I am thinking of joining a gym with the thought that instead of going home or out to eat after work I would go there instead. It is right up the street.
For those of you who have joined a gym is it worth it?
Do you go?
Have you lost weight?
Got into a better shape?
Met new friends?
Changed your lifestyle?
Improved your health?

Or do you start off with good intentions and then a month or so down the line it all goes to pot, or cake and pies.

k9krazee
01-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I tried to work out at home for about a year. I did it off and on and often times found excuses not to work out.

I've never actually joined a "real" gym, but on the university campus I have always had a gym available to me.

For 3 years I went to the gym on a somewhat regular basis. I found, for me, that if I didn't actually pencil in a time that I was going to go I would back out and make excuses. So I wrote it in my planner that XYZ days I had to go. Then I started going regularly but only staying a short amount of time or not working very hard. I still lost a considerable amount of weight, but slowly over time. I never really challenged myself and was just comfortable.

Now I've been going to the gym for the last 5 months or so on a regular basis. The gym at this university actually has fitness classes. I will definitely say that fitness classes over working out on your own is the way to go. Hands down! I've met all sorts of friends, work out buddies that keep me accountable and expect to see me at every class, etc. It is also great motivation to work hard and the instructors are motivating. It has also forced me to spend an entire hour. I go to about 7-8 one hour classes per week, they get so addicting. I haven't lost very much weight, but am toning and going down sizes, but more importantly I feel good!

So my recommendation is to find classes in your area. I know Zumba is a big hit lately, though I've never tried it. It gives you people to talk to and make sure you keep showing up to class, forces you to give it your all every time and is a more motivating environment. I wish I would have found classes sooner!

Prairie Purrs
01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Another vote for fitness classes! I've been doing Zumba for several months, and I love it. It's a great all-over workout, and keeping up with the steps is enough of a challenge to make it interesting. I'm sure I look pretty silly, because I'm an absolute klutz, but I'm too old to care and I'm having fun.

I ususally do a couple of Zumba sessions each week, a yoga class, and "lunch crunch" classes two or three times a week. I also work in as much speedwalking as I can--two or three miles, a couple times a week. It's definitely a time commitment, but I feel about 200% better since I joined the gym and changed my eating habits nearly a year ago.

caseysmom
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Another vote for fitness classes! I've been doing Zumba for several months, and I love it. It's a great all-over workout, and keeping up with the steps is enough of a challenge to make it interesting. I'm sure I look pretty silly, because I'm an absolute klutz, but I'm too old to care and I'm having fun.

I ususally do a couple of Zumba sessions each week, a yoga class, and "lunch crunch" classes two or three times a week. I also work in as much speedwalking as I can--two or three miles, a couple times a week. It's definitely a time commitment, but I feel about 200% better since I joined the gym and changed my eating habits nearly a year ago.

Me too! I love my zumba, plus I walk a few miles on my lunch break at work. I have been eating healthy and losing weight and I feel great!

Alysser
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I joined a gym back in October, I had been part of it two or so years ago and because I was younger I didn't do anything correctly and didn't really care. When I got my new job I quit. I re-joined in October and I see much more muscle tone in my arms (especially arms) and legs than ever before, especially my Biceps and Triceps. I can now jog 2 miles in 20 minutes. It used to take me probably 30 minutes to jog that much or even more. Lately because of snow I haven't been going but I plan to get back on track before summer and look good for graduation and other things coming up. I haven't lost much weight, in fact I've probably gained a little between Christmas and now. :rolleyes: I don't exactly eat healthy but that will change. I plan to start taking Mikey out on trails and "hiking" and take up kayaking and swimming again this year. That crap HURTS but man is that a great upper-body work out! I LOVE the feeling you get after kayaking it feels wonderful. I also got Wii Fit for Xmas for my mom but I'll be using it to!

A gym is definitely worth it, especially when you start seeing results.

Maybe I'm just odd, but I cannot stand Zumba. I absolutely hated that when they made us do it at school. I never will do that again. :rolleyes:

Pembroke_Corgi
01-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I joined a gym last month. I've been going pretty regularly, but I have to get up early to do so. That way, I don't have to bring along my daughter (she hates the "kids club" area) and I like to work out when it's not busy. Even though the gym is huge, many of the machines are in use later in the day.

I would find a time that works for you and try to stick to it. I find it's hard to go back to doing something once you get out of the habit. I think I've lost a little weight but it's been a struggle because I feel like my metabolism basically moves at a crawl after having my daughter. I definitely feel healthier though!

Queen of Poop
01-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I have previously belonged to a gym and had a personal trainer, it was fabulous. During that time the gym put on several "classes". I tried yoga, kick boxing and boot camp. Loved them all. These days with money pretty tight I'm not doing any of that. In September of last year at work we were provided with a pedometer and given a goal of 10,000 steps per day. I am just over 1.6 MILLION steps. Fabulous exercise opportunity - some days I walk, some days I run, sometimes both. I am really enjoying the challenge of 10,000 steps per day, although on most days I surpass that by 2,000 steps or more (because I'm one of those that has to exceed expectations!!).

caseysmom
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I joined a gym back in October, I had been part of it two or so years ago and because I was younger I didn't do anything correctly and didn't really care. When I got my new job I quit. I re-joined in October and I see much more muscle tone in my arms (especially arms) and legs than ever before, especially my Biceps and Triceps. I can now jog 2 miles in 20 minutes. It used to take me probably 30 minutes to jog that much or even more. Lately because of snow I haven't been going but I plan to get back on track before summer and look good for graduation and other things coming up. I haven't lost much weight, in fact I've probably gained a little between Christmas and now. :rolleyes: I don't exactly eat healthy but that will change. I plan to start taking Mikey out on trails and "hiking" and take up kayaking and swimming again this year. That crap HURTS but man is that a great upper-body work out! I LOVE the feeling you get after kayaking it feels wonderful. I also got Wii Fit for Xmas for my mom but I'll be using it to!

A gym is definitely worth it, especially when you start seeing results.

Maybe I'm just odd, but I cannot stand Zumba. I absolutely hated that when they made us do it at school. I never will do that again. :rolleyes:

Thats funny my daughter use to go with me before she went off to college she loved it. I still go with her friend.

Medusa
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I received a call from a place 5 minutes from my home telling me about their Zumba classes. I thought about doing it but I just can't get motivated. I taught classes for so many years that I just don't care to take instruction any more. I'd love to go back to cardio kickboxing but I doubt that my hands could take the beating any more. That's instruction that I don't mind taking. I do work out at home; I have my own kickboxing bag but it's just not the same as being in a class. I loved having my instructor in my face pushing me to do better.

Laura's Babies
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
I BEEN wanting to join a gym but on a month to month basis, without a contract because I don't know how my financial situation is going to go for me this year.. Everywhere you go want a contract. I don't want to loose weight but just stay healthy and off the couch.

K9karen
01-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I've been going to LA Fitness for 2 years. I've been trying to go 3-4 days a week in the mornings. It really toned me up. But I've had to put a hold on my membership because I'm heading towards more spine surgery and am afraid of hurting myself. I've noticed a huge difference not going. I didn't go to lose weight, but to feel better, which I did.

Sirrahsim
01-28-2011, 01:01 AM
For those of you who have joined a gym is it worth it?
The first time I joined it went very well until I got a little overzealous and pulled both of my quads. That was the beginning of the end of THAT gym. Here at my new base we have a small gym and I LOVE it. I feel great as soon as I walk in the door.

Do you go?
Now that I have a free gym to go to and the motivation to get off of my lazy butt I do. At least 3x a week and anytime I start to feel stressed

Have you lost weight?
The hubby and I are doing Biggest Loser this month so I am down just shy of 10 lbs since the 3rd of January. I was going to the gym regularly from Sep to Nov but did not lose weight because I did not change my eating habits

Got into a better shape?
Absolutely! At the start I could barely go half a mile on the elliptical without wanting to lay down on the floor and die. Now my usual workout is 4 miles in about 30 minutes

Met new friends?
In Sep I started going with 3 or 4 ladies from my neighborhood but I didn't really get to know anyone new through the gym

Changed your lifestyle?
Absolutely, and I don't plan on ever looking back.

Improved your health?
Absolutely :)

wanwan1007
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I know this is an old thread but for some reason I missed it. So Sirrahsim, after all the encouragement to join a gym did you do it?

I do go to the gym. I've been going for almost 6 years now. I go now between 2 to 3 times a week. Since I want to lose weight I'm trying to get that back up to 5 times a week.

I've lost weight and gained weight in the 6 year time. When I was consistent AND CHANGED MY DIET I lost 30lbs. I've gained 1/2 of that back now.

I'm definitely in better shape. The first time I went I got on the eliptical for 3 minutes and thought I was going to have to be carried outl I can now do the eliptical for 60 minutes. I walk the 7 flights of stairs at my job up and down and don't need the EMC (emergency medical care)!!

Met New Friends? Yep

I agree with taking classes. They help me the most. I push myself harder and stay longer than I would If I work out by myself.

As far as Zumba it's all about the teacher. I've taken a really good class and one really bad class.

3Catcondo
02-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I love Zumba, it's so much fun!! The time flies by and you sweat your butt off.
Laura-
Do you have YMCA's near you? If so, they are month to month, they base their dues on income or lack of. They have a fund of donations set aside for those who financially can't afford to pay...you should check into it. :)