PDA

View Full Version : A sad day

Medusa
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
My old vet for 30 years, Dr. Dean LeBeau, passed away at the young age of 66 after an accident in his home. I cried when he retired and I'm crying now. He had such compassion for my pets through the years and he extended their lives w/his wonderful care. He taught me the true meaning of a healer.
He always asked about my son whenever I had an office call and he charged me the absolute minimum every time, hardly ever charging for an office call and medication. He called it "LeBeau economics", LeBeau being his surname. He even spent the night at the animal hospital when my dog Charmin went into labor. How he will be sorely missed!

pomtzu
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM
That's so sad to hear Mary, especially after you were speaking so highly of him just a couple of days ago. I'm sure he'll be up at RB, doing his thing, and keeping a check on all of the critters there.

RIP Dr. LeBeau.

phesina
01-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I am so sorry, Mary. What a good man! A loss to us all.

I'm sure he's up there at the Bridge with all our other friends now.

Freedom
01-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Rainbow Bridge must have needed a natural healer.

RIP Mr. LeBeau

Marigold2
01-27-2011, 08:54 AM
How sad indeed Mary. Did he have a large family? Was he in a one man practice?

Bonny
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM
So sorry Mary, he was still a young man. You run into these wonderful special people in your life & it is hard when they leave us & Dr. LeBeau was one of them. RIP

Lilith Cherry
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
so sorry to hear that Mary. He will be welcomed by many friends at the bridge.

Catty1
01-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Just too young. :( May his generous and caring, healing spirit infuse the vets here on earth.

RIP Dr. LeBeau. (in French, means "the handsome" :) )

cool4catz2
01-27-2011, 11:27 AM
So sorry to hear that. Sounds like such an awesome man. He taught you a lot while he was here.
He was here to do what God intended him to do and now God has brought him Home to where he is needed now. :love:

momcat
01-27-2011, 11:39 AM
This is very sad news. From what you've said, his top priority was the health and well being of his little patients and the owners who love them. A tremendous loss to be sure.

krazyaboutkatz
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
This is so sad.:( He truly was a very kind generous man. RIP Dr. Le Beau.:(

Randi
01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
I remember you talking about him recently and he sounded like a really nice person. It's so sad he passed away. :( Try to think of him now sitting amongst the critters on the RB, who have the best vet ever. :)

Medusa
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
LeBeau. (in French, means "the handsome" :) )

And he was.

Medusa
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanx, friends. I'm just so sad about this. He was such a wonderful man. He always asked about my son every time I had an office visit and when my dog Charmin died, he handwrote a two page letter to me. How his family is going to miss him!

He started an animal clinic here 30 years ago w/quite a staff and he told me that he should dedicate a wing to me b/c I spent so much time there w/my dogs and cats. LOL He served as a vet when he was in the Army and he even went to Haiti after their earthquake recently. He also started the emergency veterinary clinic locally and was on the board of our Humane Society where he tried for years to get me to volunteer. He told me one day that he wished I would change my mind and just do it but he understood why, that I would end up taking all of the animals home w/me. He was quite a guy, married to the same woman for 45 years, Joan, who worked w/him for most of his career.

He told me that my dog Charmin was his favorite patient, (he probably said that to all of his clientele b/c he knew how much we loved our furkids) but whatever the case, I'm sure Charmin and her daughter Daisy and his other favorites, my cats Peeka and Boo (he really loved Boo; he had a thing for black cats), Pidgie and Puddy were there to greet him along w/all the other furkids that he'd helped and healed during his career.

Medusa
01-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I just got home from calling hours. I had trouble finding a parking space and then waited an hour and a half in line just to view the casket. You cannot believe how many people were there and they were still coming. More men than women were crying w/o embarrassment. This man was loved!

There were so many photos of him w/his wife, Joan, and family and grandkids, whom he absolutely adored. One photo in particular made me get choked up; it was of him asleep w/his tiny baby grandchild asleep on his chest. Another was of him reading "Goodnight Moon" to his grandchild. He loved the outdoors, was always tan, and I'd tease him and ask "Do you ever work, tan guy, or do you just play all day?" He had a good life; it was just cut short, too damned short.

I told his kids the story of how he became my vet, that my dog Charmin had her two pups Caesarean and he spent the night at the clinic w/her. The next day when I went in to see her, he looked bedraggled and told me that she was going to be ok. I told him right then and there "You've sealed the deal, buddy. You're my vet forever!" His son and daughter laughed when I told them that. I know how comforting it is to hear such stories, especially from people you don't know, when you've lost a loved one. It does the heart good to hear how loved your dear one was.

I'm sorry to go on like this but I feel as though I've lost a family member. His hair was styled funny and it didn't even look like him. He looked like a little old man and in life he was so vital and healthy looking. Joan said (w/o my asking) that he was in their garage on a 12 ft. ladder and fell. She was in the shower and didn't hear it happen. Thankfully, he went quickly. He had a brain stem injury and the dr. told the family that he had no chance whatsoever for a good life, so Joan waited until all the kids came home so that they could see him before they removed life support. They were to leave on Monday for Myrtle Beach for two weeks w/the family. So unfair.