PDA

View Full Version : Such a great vet.........

pomtzu
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I know I've done some bragging in the past about what a great vet I take The Fuzzbuttz to, so I may as well continue on. ;)

I've taken all my pets - past and present - to her for many years. She's an old time "country vet" - small office with none of the big fancy trappings you see so much of now and with a huge patient clientele, very knowledgeable, caring and compassionate, spends lots of time with patients and parents and never tries to rush you out the door, has one day each week when she does house calls, etc, etc, etc - just what all vets should be like. :D

So when Myndi was in last week and diagnosed with kidney disease, it was now time to put her on Hills Prescription K/D canned food at $2.35 per 13 oz. can. :eek: I bought 4 cans at the time to ease her into it, and right now she's at half and half, and tomorrow will be going on 3/4 Hills to 1/4 her old food. It's only available by prescription and not something I can find cheaper on line, so called the vet's office this morning to order a case since she's down to her last can. I drove in to pick it up and was getting my debit card out to pay for it, and she says to me - "no charge" - it was a donation to her from Hills. Now she could just as easily have charged me the regular price per can, but in typical honest fashion for her, she didn't. Just one more reason to love this gal! :)

I wonder how many vets would do this? Do you think yours would???

Ok - so it's no great $$ amount - but when you're retired and on a very fixed income - every little bit counts. And then take into account that when I left her office, it was off to the garage to leave the car for some work that will lighten my wallet by just short of $1100. Front and rear brakes and rotors, 4 new tires, front end alignment, air filter and oil change. Guess I shouldn't complain too much - it's a 2003 model with 70,000 miles and those were the original brakes, and 2 of the tires were also original equipment. Hmmm - I shouldn't complain - but I am. So much for a vacation again this year!!! :( :mad:

Asiel
01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
You sound like you're describing my vet to a T. That's exactly the way I would describe my own vet. Older building with no fancy trappings but she's dedicated to a fault, will do everything in her power to help you and will sit and cry with you when needed. She's been our vet for more than 30 yrs and we would be lost without her.....how many times have we heard that "no charge" or she just charges for the meds but no office calls....no describing her to do her justice. Meds at cost most of the time, so on and so on.

Freedom
01-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Hang on to her!

I can tell you, MY vet would just keep charging - -DOUBLE. :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
01-26-2011, 02:06 AM
It's great to know that their are vets out there that are actually in it to help animals and not in it for the money.:) I would also describe my vet like this. Although the veterinary hospital that I go to is now in a big fancy building with 20 something vets and it's also open 24 hours, one time when I took Sky and Ziggy in for their annual exams I was shocked at how cheap my bill was. My vet had only charged me for Ziggy. She's also given me many discounts before too.:)

Each vet types in the charges on a computer in the exam room or whatever room they happen to be in which then goes to the front office. I like this idea because then they get to charge the client what they want instead of having one of the front office people charging you. I can also e-mail my vet with questions or concerns and she's even replied back to me on her days off.

Medusa
01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Sounds like my old vet. I hardly ever paid for medication. He almost always sent me home w/o having to pay for the meds, only the procedures. He hardly ever even charged me for the office visit! He called it "LeBeau economics", LeBeau being his surname. He took early retirement b/c he had serious back issues and many surgeries. He even came out of retirement for a couple of years b/c he missed his work so much but he found that he could no longer stand on his feet for long periods of time so he retired again. What compassion this man had! He hand wrote a two page letter when my dog Charmin died. My current vet, Dr. Lee, is fairly expensive, I must say but he didn't charge me a penny for having Boo PTS and he carried Boo himself and walked me to my car and placed him on the seat next to me, gave me a hug and told me to please drive carefully b/c I was so upset. Yep, we've got a couple of good ones, Ellie. :)