PDA

View Full Version : Recording for Youtube - Mac users - Webcam question?

CountryWolf07
01-25-2011, 12:07 PM
So, I have a question. I want to start doing ASL (American Sign Language) with music - signing out to songs that I enjoy listening to - I have a couple that I would like to sign out to during the music. I have a webcam. I have a Mac. So, what do you use to record? I have Photobooth, but I see that it doesn't record sound along with the video. I am looking for a specific program that allows you to record along with background noise (music).. Anyone know what to use? :confused:

Randi
01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know much about this, but I think John used an application called "Sound Studio" to record Fister's voice from a Dictaphone back in 2003. I found this, but it's old and there may be something newer and smarter. :)

About Sound Studio

Sound Studio is a Mac OS X audio application that lets you record and edit two-channel audio. Digitize vinyl records and tapes, record live performances, create your own mixes with crossfades, tweak the levels and EQ, apply digital effects, and save in several file formats with Sound Studio. The free trial download is fully-functional for 14 days.

Sound Studio will also run on Mac computers booting into Mac OS 9.1 and later.

Make sure you have the latest version of Sound Studio by going to:
http://www.MacSoundStudio.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation

If you have a version of Sound Studio that came as part of a hardware bundle, please see the "About Sound Studio" file that came with the bundle for installation instructions.

If you are trying out Sound Studio for free, or if you have purchased a license, drag the "Sound Studio" application icon into your Applications folder. You should remove any older versions of the application from your hard disk, to avoidaccidentally launching an older version.

If you have not entered a license code for "Sound Studio 2" before, the app will run as a trial version for 14 non-consecutive days, or until you enter a license code. If the 14 days are used up, the app will disable the ability to save files. At any time, you may enter your license code to unlock the app and re-enable the ability to save.

To get a license code, you must buy a license. To buy a license, go to the Felt Tip Software "Purchase" page:

http://www.felttip.com/purchase/

Paul
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
   The simplest way to record video is to use the QuickTime Player. In the "File" menu is the menu choice for "New Movie Recording". The QuickTime Player will allow you to do very basic video editing. However, iMovie is designed for movie recording and editing. The "Help" menu has a little more information about editing.

(My Macintosh came with Photobooth installed but the iLife applications like iMovie were on a separate DVD.)

iLife is about $49.00 (iPhoto 11, iMovie 11 and GarageBand 11). However, if you are running the current version of the Mac OS then you can purchase just iMovie through the new app store for $15.

If you upload your videos to YouTube you will need to know about their policies and deals with the recording associations for the rights to popular music. I have not been paying attention, however, I believe some copyrighted music will be allowed (and the option[advertisement] to purchase the music appears), some music will be automatically removed, and sometimes your account may be banned. Learning about the music rights is probably the most difficult part of creating your videos.

Paul

CountryWolf07
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Great, thank you so much, both of you. :) Appreciate it.

True, Paul. I actually want to do it for my own ASL practicing and get myself better with the language. It is my first language, and unfortunately, I stopped signing about two years ago. I absolutely miss it. I already have iLife 11' - I still yet have to immerse myself into these programs and learn how to use them.

Randi, I've heard about SoundStudio, I'll have to look into it! Thanks!

Suki Wingy
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I use iMovie and my built in iSight camera. :)

Misty_Pearl
01-26-2011, 12:54 AM
If you decide to do this, I would love copies of them. I am doing baby sign language with my 8 month son and I think this would be a blast.

CountryWolf07
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I love to educate sign language to people who are interested! :)

CountryWolf07
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Another question - I notice that my webcam speed is kind of fast - blurry when I move my hands when I am signing out a song and I'd like it to be clearer, so you can tell what I am saying with my hands, not in a blur motion. So, any chance I can fix the speed on the computer? It didn't come with a built-in driver, so it is a macally webcam - actually the computer guy at the Apple store suggested this one, so I bought it.

Hellow
02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
That has to do with the frames per second that your webcam is pushing to the computer. Most webcams don't have very high amounts of frames per second at all. A real video camera can do that, though.