PDA

View Full Version : Mac Computer Question

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2011, 06:49 AM
So, as a PC user since the time I was like 6, I figured this Mac thing was going to be really tough on me, but it's actually pretty easy.

Except...

I read online how to install applications, something about putting some file in your applications folder...

I did that with Skype but now everytime I start up my computer, I get the little Skype icon on my desktop and it keeps coming back no matter how many times I delete it.

So, I know it's not supposed to do that, did I install it wrong or what?

Suki Wingy
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Well, you could always try deleting the application completely and then re-downloading and installing it! If you ctrl+click the icon, is there an option to move it somewhere?

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Well, you could always try deleting the application completely and then re-downloading and installing it! If you ctrl+click the icon, is there an option to move it somewhere?

Well, I've just been "ejecting" it by throwing it into the trash can LOL. How do I go about deleting the application?

Oh, Macs... pretty, efficient, and weird hahaha.

jennielynn1970
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Many times when you install an application on a mac, it creates an icon, that is just that, an icon, on your desktop. You can launch the application from that icon instead of going into your application folder to launch the app. Try putting it in your dock and let it there. It's supposed to be more of a short cut.

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Okay, I just took a screencap to make it easier. It said it was being launched from a .dmg file I downloaded or something, but I followed the instructions and threw the .dmg file in the applications folder and now I get this every time that I restart it.

Karen
01-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Make sure you are starting the actual application - and when it launches, click on the icon in the toolbar and hold the button down, and when the menu pops up, hit "keep in Dock" and you can use that icon to start from that point on. The dmg file is likely the compressed file, not the application itself.

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Alright, guys, I got it!

All I had to do was delete the .dmg file from my downloads, lol. Easy fix.

Thanks for all the tips and help! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future :p

jennielynn1970
01-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Go into your apps folder, find the app, figure out how to do an uninstall.

When you relaunch, only put in the app folder the icon for skype, normally it comes up and shows you what to grab and drop. What is coming up for you is the server folder... you don't want that, you're right.