PDA

View Full Version : Nibbling, Chewing, & Chomping

BassetHound08
10-30-2002, 07:49 PM
My Chinnchilla keeps chewing throuh his water bottle!!!:mad: Do they go through some sort of chewing phase or somthing?? Why dose he chew his water bottle of all things?? UGH!!! Grrr....what chould I do:confused: any body got any ideas why and how I can prevent this???

Thanks,
Cait:)

momoftara&nell
10-31-2002, 02:14 PM
our chinchilas used to chew theyre water bottle,i dont think its a phase they go through,its probably because their teeth grow & they have to find things to chew on...well you can buy bottle guards in pet shops,but i just put a piece of firm mesh onto the bars behind the bottle & wired it on & the teat on the bottle should go through the bars still & that stopped them chewing it.i know im not very good at explaining so you can just email me for a better explanation if you like[or just post a reply on the boards....i hope this helps... i know what youre going through....

Splash
11-30-2002, 09:19 AM
You could also buy toys for him to chew on. The pet stores sell wooden blocks and different things to chew on :)

firefox2
12-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Chinchillas chew by nature, as momoftara&nell said, their teeth grow continuously, and they need to chew to keep their teeth trim. I keep chinchilla chew blocks in all of the cages, as well, I use wooden shelves and ledges for them to chew on. If after that, the chinchillas still chew the water bottles, then I usually switch to glass bottles or buy metal bottle guards to put between the bottle and the cage.

Liradralyn
12-30-2002, 08:54 PM
What about using a ceramic bowl for the water?