PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2011

Karen
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
So did anyone watch? What did you think?

I thought it was very interesting how the judging dynamic has changed ...

prechrswife
01-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I've watched part of it on the DVR (and will probably finish in a little while since the kids are napping). So far, I like what I've seen. The dynamic is totally different, but that's not a bad thing. I think a new dynamic makes the change of personnel work better. Steven Tyler was funny. :) As for individual contestants, there were some good ones, but I have no idea as to an early favorite.

Taz_Zoee
01-20-2011, 09:01 PM
I was concerned about Steven Tyler. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle seeing his (not very attractive) face for two hours. But he is actually VERY funny!! I enjoyed it. :)
And Jennifer Lopez cracked me up. She just couldn't say no. However, I only watched the first day of auditions. I'm going to finish it right now. So maybe she'll get the hang of it.

prechrswife
01-21-2011, 08:22 AM
I'm still trying to decide the wisdom of including 15 year olds this season. Granted, there have been a couple of really talented ones so far, but the judges have in the past questioned the maturity of the 16 year olds that were included, so I'm wondering why they decided to go younger.

Taz_Zoee
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm still trying to decide the wisdom of including 15 year olds this season. Granted, there have been a couple of really talented ones so far, but the judges have in the past questioned the maturity of the 16 year olds that were included, so I'm wondering why they decided to go younger.

Me too! It doesn't make sense. They should have just gone older if they wanted to include more people.

So, I guess Jennifer IS getting better at saying no. She did a fine job last night. LOL

sparks19
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I was concerned about Steven Tyler. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle seeing his (not very attractive) face for two hours. But he is actually VERY funny!! I enjoyed it. :)
And Jennifer Lopez cracked me up. She just couldn't say no. However, I only watched the first day of auditions. I'm going to finish it right now. So maybe she'll get the hang of it.

I felt the same way. when I heard he was going to be a judge I was like "seriously?"

but I am loving him. he's great. he's funny and really adds something to the judging panel. I like that he gets really into it and starts beating along on the table. and you can tell that that really puts the people auditioning at ease and they kinda loosen up and belt it out.

I'm a fan lol

Marigold2
01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
I find Steven sexy as hell. OMG have you ever watched him perform? MEOW!! He is the Marilyn Monroe of the man world.
He is also smart, funny and kind. Oh baby come to momma.

anna_66
01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I find Steven sexy as hell.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one:D I LOVE his attitude!

I'm loving Jennifer too. The first day she had a hard time saying no, but I think she's learning sometimes you just have to say no.

I'm enjoying it so far. But I must admit...I fast forward a lot. Makes it a lot more enjoyable for me;)

Karen
01-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I still find it kind of annoying when they spend a lot of time on a "no," and at the end we see "these X also are gong to Hollywood" - surely we deserve to see that least a note or two from some of them?

You can guess that some of the folks, especially the younger ones, that they say "Yes" to are just getting through so they have "the experience" - for example, the 15-year-old boy with the wonderful voice, but he looks like a pudgy 13-year-old and has no "stage presence" at all - surely a year or two more of maturity will help, can they not say "your voice is great, now go home, and come back in a couple years?" Or the "yo, yo, dog" girl. Sweet, plenty of personality, sure, but is that enough to justify sending her on and raising her hopes?

todd
01-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm enjoying it

Karen
01-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Any favorites from this week? It feels like they are sending so many marginal people through ... and we were discussing the fact that we - the viewers - obviously don't hear what the judges do. After all, the one girl Jlo said had the tiniest voice ever sounded perfectly loud to us at home ...

Loved the first kid, great deep voice, but I don't know that he'll fare well on this show. I am, admittedly, partial to bass voices anyway ... Grandpa, Dad, both brothers, nephew, they're all basses, my sister had to marry one into the clan!

Karen
03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
So what does everyone think of this week's results? And the singing?

I was disappointed with Brent Lowenstern's performance the other night - for once I agreed with the judges, all the hair-tossing was distracting and felt very, very forced. Thought Thia Megia's choice to start out a capella was lovely, and made her stand out.

I pretty much am happy with the final 13, but won't say anything specific yet, in case any has it recorded but hasn't watched it yet!

Oh, and I just have to say - I own the short-sleeved version of the ruffled hot pink shirt Steven Tyler was wearing last night, I swear!

Casper
03-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I think the boys that were picked to stay are spot on. They are all really great.
I missed the girls' performances, so I am not really familiar with them.

I do have to say that Paul McDonald is -- hands down -- my favorite this season.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YGOTMgFl-lY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taz_Zoee
03-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Bruce said he saw an interview or read somewhere that Liv Tyler always got mad at her dad for going into her closet and stealing her shirts. With that shirt he wore last night, I believe it! He is very different. LOL

I am also happy with the results. And I called it every time. I knew who would go through and who wouldn't. My boyfriend was amazed. LOL All of my favorites were in the top 10.

Not giving anything away.......Thia Magia is from very close to where I live. She was also on America's Got Talent last year. If anyone saw it, she was up against the young pianist but he made it through and she was sent home. I loved her voice on that show too. :)

prechrswife
03-04-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm very happy with the top group. It should be a fun season to watch--lots of talent, and not a lot of "cookie cutter" performers.

kaycountrygal
03-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Hello, I just found this thread. Oh, Yes, I've watched every episode of Idol this year. I really like the judges now--Steve Tyler is so much better than I thought he would be & I like him. I think J Lo is good & it seems to me that Randy Jackson is more helpful since Simon left--great judges imo.

My favorite is Scotty McCreery, because I like country music & I like his deep bass voice. Scotty is 17 (16 when auditions started) from Garner, NC about 50 miles from me. I could not believe my ears when I first heard him sing. I realllly like his "Your Man", "Long Black Train" "Letter from Home".

I do wonder though how he will do when he has to sing songs other than country. To me, he seems to be the picture for a teenage boy--cleancut, short hair, neat, cute, friendly, outgoing, polite, baseball player, unassuming, & he even stood up for Jaycee albeit a bit late but he sure seems to be "good boy" & I really like his singing. Even if he doesnt make it all the way on Idol, I do think he has a future as a country singer... Kay in NC

Scooter's Mom
03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I've watched more Idol this year than ever before. I really like Steven Tyler and J Lo as judges.

Also, I do think Scotty has a country music future!

krazyaboutkatz
03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I've also been watching but I've missed parts of the show because I sometimes get home very late and I don't have a DVR. I think they have a great diverse group this year so it should be very interesting to see how they perform.:) I usually go for the rockers but it seems they only have one in the group this year.

kittycats_delight
03-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Gonna weigh in here myself.

I :love: Steven Tyler as a judge. You never know what is going to come out of his mouth. lol He is fun, full of energy and very fair for the most part though I don't always agree with him.

I am not a fan of Jennifer Lopez but I have changed my opinion of her. She wears her heart on her sleeve and is so compassionate. I think she brings a wonderful warm element to the panel.

Randy is Randy. He can be harsh sometimes but overall he is a great judge in my opinion. He does seem to have softened somewhat this year. On the whole I often agree with his calls.

Favorites for me, I would have to go with James overall & of course for the guys. I LOVE that rock n roll voice especially the high 'screams' only a true rocker can do it like he does. It is amazing. For the girls, I adore Lauren. She has such a strong voice and there is just a spark that shoots out of her and strikes you when she performs.

Taz_Zoee
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Michelle, I completley agree with you on everything...........except your guy choice. I couldn't stand Adam Lambert (his singing, I liked him as a person). I do like James more than Adam though. My favorite guy is Casey. :D

Karen
03-10-2011, 02:05 PM
So what did folks think of last night's performances. I thought Lauren just did "okay," and didn't really like Ashthon's performance or song choice. You cannot just say you are Diana Ross and do the hair, you need to put some soul into the singing, which I don't think she did. I also didn't Paul's performance as much this week, it just seemed to be all over the place. Loved Casey, and James and several others, and thought Naima was interesting enough, and quite different enough than the original to be good, though she was out of breath a lot. Hope she'll learn from that!

Taz_Zoee
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I totally agree with you Karen! Didn't like Ashthon at all, didn't care for Paul. Loved Casey and James. Liked the rest enough. Thia sounded a little off at first, but her voice is just so beautiful and powerful.......especially for 15 years old!!!
Naima was a pleasant surprise for me. I do not like Rhianna......at all. But I really did enjoy her performance. I especially liked the reggae part. :D I thought she did great with her voice despite the dancing around she did.
I was afraid Pia would hack on Celine Dion, but she did very good.

So, from last night performance as well as previous ones, I hope Ashthon goes home. I really don't like how she always puts a "hey" throughout every song she sings. It's like she's trying too hard. But I do love her hair!! :D

Karen
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
But I do love her hair!! :D

Her hair is great, it's the attitude underneath is that doesn't fly with me!

Taz_Zoee
03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Her hair is great, it's the attitude underneath is that doesn't fly with me!

Agreed!

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
I totally agree with you Karen! Didn't like Ashthon at all, didn't care for Paul. Loved Casey and James. Liked the rest enough. Thia sounded a little off at first, but her voice is just so beautiful and powerful.......especially for 15 years old!!!
Naima was a pleasant surprise for me. I do not like Rhianna......at all. But I really did enjoy her performance. I especially liked the reggae part. :D I thought she did great with her voice despite the dancing around she did.
I was afraid Pia would hack on Celine Dion, but she did very good.

So, from last night performance as well as previous ones, I hope Ashthon goes home. I really don't like how she always puts a "hey" throughout every song she sings. It's like she's trying too hard. But I do love her hair!! :D

I agree with everything you said.:) I actually voted online for James, Casey, Pia, and Naima. I also agreed with Randy that Naima should've done the whole song using reggae. I was happy to see Ashthon go home tonight.:)

pitc9
03-11-2011, 08:09 AM
I too was glad to see her go home last night. I thought the judges wasted a wild card on her in the first place!
I think Rodriguez (can't think of her first name) should be next.
Pia's voice is OUT of this WORLD!! :eek:
I think Lauren has great potential and I love to watch James, he's SOOO into what he's singing 100%!

Taz_Zoee
03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
You know, I wasn't that excited about Pia at first. But she really does have an amazing voice!! Last night in the group performance I thought "she could win this!!". I was sad to see that it was not sang live. At least I don't think it was. Only because when Jacob sang he didn't sing along with the sound track...oops! Also, you couldn't even hear Scotty during the group song. :(

Anyway, yes, I was very happy to see Ashthon go. Now I like everyone else, so its going to be hard each week to see someone go home. :(

So, did P Diddy change his name AGAIN? Or is that just his tour name? I didn't even know who Ryan was talking about until I saw him on stage. The song he did last night.....the best part was the girl on the piano.

krazyaboutkatz
03-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I missed the beginning of the show last night so I didn't get to see the group performance. I was also surprised to hear Ryan say that Casey was in the hospital.:( What happened? Does any one know? Hopefully it's nothing serious. I couldn't tell you who P Diddy is or whatever he's calling himself. I'm not into music like this at all. I really enjoyed Adam's performance though.:)

Karen
03-11-2011, 11:58 AM
They just said Casey was sick, and hoped to be back soon, they didn't give any specifics. Oh, and Ms. Rodriquez's first name is Karen!

krazyaboutkatz
03-12-2011, 12:49 AM
They just said Casey was sick, and hoped to be back soon, they didn't give any specifics. Oh, and Ms. Rodriquez's first name is Karen!
Okay thanks.:) I also don't know why everyone thinks that Karen is so great. She doesn't do anything for me and I find her song choices very boring. If Ashthon hadn't been the one to go, I was hoping that it then would've been Karen.

Karen
03-12-2011, 01:43 AM
I think Karen Rodriguez is nice enough, and she doesn't offend me in any way, but I know that music, like art, is all very subjective as to what each person considers good. I don't see her among the final contestants, but there are a few others I am pretty blah about, too.

Karen
03-12-2011, 08:05 PM
For those who were wondering, "Casey Abrams was absent from Thursday's show due to receiving blood transfusions for his ulcerative colitis."

Taz_Zoee
03-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Isn't this the second time Casey's been in the hospital? That worries me.

I like Karen best when she sings in Spanish. Even though I don't understand her, I think its beautiful. :)

Can't wait for this next week. Do we know what they are singing? Any theme or person? I can't remember if they said at the end of the show last week.

krazyaboutkatz
03-13-2011, 12:20 AM
For those who were wondering, "Casey Abrams was absent from Thursday's show due to receiving blood transfusions for his ulcerative colitis."
Thanks for letting us know. I know a woman who has this disease and she said she was in pain most of her life until she had her large intestine removed. I think that's right or maybe it was her small intestine. Now she's finally pain free. I bet all the stress would really cause Casey's ulcerative colitis to flare up. I hope he'll be a okay from now on.

Isn't this the second time Casey's been in the hospital? That worries me.

I like Karen best when she sings in Spanish. Even though I don't understand her, I think its beautiful. :)

Can't wait for this next week. Do we know what they are singing? Any theme or person? I can't remember if they said at the end of the show last week.
Yes, I heard that this is the second time that he's been in the hospital. I don't remember hearing any announcement for theme or person next week.

Karen
03-17-2011, 08:34 AM
So what did everyone think of last night's performances? I didn't like either of the first two, though I have been a fan of Naima, she didn't seem to be on-pitch for much of the song. I wonder whether it is nerves, or what? Didn't like Paul, again - he seems like a nice enough person, sure ... and I thought some people did a better job than others of song choice. Do others like Stefano anywhere near as much as J-Lo seems to? Maybe there's something in person that doesn't come across on the screen, but I felt like he, at least actually sang last night, unlike the first two! Likes James, and Pia and Casey and ... I did like in the "banter" when they were talking about the illness going around and he told James "no hugs, no kissing anybody," he protested and tapped his wedding band and said firmly "Hey, I'm not kissing anybody here" which was nice.

Taz_Zoee
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Last night was disappointing to me. My favorite (although the judges didn't agree with me) was Thia. I can't believe she is only 15, her voice is so amazing!!!
I also didn't agree with the judges on James. I love him, but I did not like his performance last night. Same with Casey. He is my favorite guy and he didn't do so good last night (at least I didn't think so).
You can definitely see where Casey gets his sense of humor though. His parents were cracking me up!!!
And some of those moms (not Jacobs :eek:) had beautiful voices. :)

I had wondered about Thia's name. Since my name is Cynthia, I wondered if that was her real full name. Well, it has something to do with it because her moms name is Cynthia. :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
My favorites last night were Pia, Lauren, James, and Casey. I agree that Naima didn't sing very well but hopefully she'll get another chance next week. I love rock so even though Casey didn't sing as well, I loved the song he performed. I also agree that Thia has an incredible voice but she needs to choose better songs. I find them very boring and sleepy like Randy keeps saying. Stefano is just an okay singer to me too. Jacob?,I think that's his name, I didn't think that he sang as well as the judges said he did.

Karen
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
I had wondered about Thia's name. Since my name is Cynthia, I wondered if that was her real full name. Well, it has something to do with it because her moms name is Cynthia. :D

That hadn't occurred to me, but it's obvious once you say it!

Yes, some of the parents were great, and I loved the fact that Steven Tyler told Jacob he should still be grateful to his mom because even if he didn't get his musical ability from her, he got his spunk from her! I thought the parent interviews were fun, for the most part, and enjoyed the little subtle things, like Lauren Alaina's dad wiping a tear from his eye at the very end of the clip.

kaycountrygal
03-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Sun, Mar 20 2011
Hello, I am really enjoying Idol this year. There are many talented singers competing. My fav is Scotty McCreery. Go Scotty!!! I saw an interview on local tv where his friends said he can sing songs other than country. Sure hope so... Kay in NC

Karen
03-20-2011, 11:44 AM
I was not surprised at all that Karen went home, as she didn't seem to do much different this week, just more of the same. I thought her swan song was much better a performance than the night before. I often wonder what the stylists are thinking when they dress some of the contestants - this week it was Haley, why the short shorts? Seemed way out of place. I don't expect Haley to last much longer either, she seems nice enough, but there doesn't seem to be anything spectacular about her performances enough to make her stand out.

Karen
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
I thought pretty much everyone did a good job last night, it was pleasantly surprising. I am not sure who will be in the bottom three this time, but was glad to see Thia not do another ballad and actually have fun with it. And I was glad Naima saved the dance part for near the end, so she stayed on-pitch for the whole song, and just sang a little bit after the dance. I was hoping Casey would play an instrument, and thought Paul even did a decent job this time.

Three not-do-do-with performance comments:

What is it with Haley and black shorts? Who chooses to put her in that? And Naima's outfit was so grey ... it could have used a bit of some color, especially on Naima, who we expect bold colors from! And gee whiz, could the audience members at least keep it down when Scotty's singing? Yes, girls, we know you love him ... but the rest of us would like to hear him sing!

Laura's Babies
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
That Naima caught my eye from the very first! There is something so special about her and last night she blew me away... I don't think she has what it takes to win but she has something so special about her.... she dares to be different and not care what people think about her being different.. Reminds me of someone I knew a long time ago when I worked at school... All the kids laughed at her but I admired her for daring to be different and being proud of who she was.. Win or loose, Naima is a special person in my book!

I couldn't have voted last night if I had wanted to, EVERYBODY was so darn GOOD.... it would have been impossible to have picked just ONE!

Taz_Zoee
03-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree with both of you, Karen and Laura. They were all sooo good. Even Jacob, who I seriously considered fast forwarding through.
It is already getting so tough to see people go home. Usually I have a few that I wouldn't mind leaving. Well, Jacob is on that list. But he did so good last night!

I think my favorite performances last night were James and Lauren. :D

krazyaboutkatz
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
I also enjoyed all of the performances last night.:) If I had to choose who to send home though it would probably be Stefano because like the judges have already said he doesn't connect with the audience and he keeps on closing his eyes. I'm also not a big Paul fan but I thought he really did a great job last night. My favorites are still Casey, James, Pia, and Naima though. I do agree that Pia needs to sing songs other than ballads and I hope she'll make it through so we can see her do this. Thia was much better since she didn't sing another ballad. I agree that Haley needs to dress better. This isn't a contest for the most sexy legs.LOL:)

Taz_Zoee
03-25-2011, 12:17 AM
OMG, is all I have to say......for now. I'll give people a chance to see it if they had to record it. :D :D

But I can talk about the performers tonight. I like Sugarland, but WTH was Jennifer Nettles wearing??? That was hideous!!! And then she was practically rapping in a country song.............:confused:

Sorry, but I had to fast forward through Jennifer Hudson too.

krazyaboutkatz
03-25-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes,tonight sure was a big surprise to me about the person that had the least amount of votes. I'm glad that it ended the way that it did though.:) No, I didn't care for Sugarland at all. I thought Jennifer Hudson was much better and I'm not a fan of her either. Since I got home early enough to watch the whole show, I was hoping that they'd have some one really good on that I actually liked. Next week should also be interesting.

Karen
03-25-2011, 01:05 PM
I thought it was fun and silly that they had Hulk Hogan on, and that James appeared genuinely stunned. Sugarland and Jennifer Hudson were fine, I had no idea Jennifer Hudson was that tall, heels not withstanding!

I was not surprised that they saved Casey, I think many voters probably assumed he was fine, so gave their votes to other candidates they thought might be in danger. Casey did seem truly stunned by the save, he did look like he was gonna pass out or vomit or something ... and am glad he didn't!

Also, did you think, during the Steven Tyler birthday thing, they were going to say who did the painted portrait Naima was obviously told to hold so the audience could see it? That was a bit weird, and Steven Tyler didn't seem to react to it much at all ...

Taz_Zoee
03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I just have to say the entire "production" at the end of the show was definitely planned. There wasn't enough time left in the show for Casey to sing, the judges to deliberate and then give their decision. They usually go to commercial while the judges discuss it. PLUS, earlier in the show Ryan made a comment about making sure you stay tuned to the very end of the show. Why would he say that???
Regardless if it was planned or not, I'm glad they kept him and I'm glad there will be 11 going on tour. :D :D Not that I'll go see them, probably. But you never know. I went the year Taylor Hicks won (mainly just to see Chris Daughtry:D).

Karen
03-25-2011, 05:31 PM
They often run overtimes, but didn't this time, and we got to see all of Casey's reaction. I don't think it was planned that much. Because I never watch it live, just record it, I often miss the last minute or so when they go over the usual time ... rarely see how the program actually ends, credits and all that!

Taz_Zoee
03-26-2011, 01:09 AM
They often run overtimes, but didn't this time, and we got to see all of Casey's reaction. I don't think it was planned that much. Because I never watch it live, just record it, I often miss the last minute or so when they go over the usual time ... rarely see how the program actually ends, credits and all that!

That's true! I need to remember that so I can just record the show that comes on after to catch it. But I still think it was planned....not that Casey knew, but the producers and judges knew. No he was seriously shocked. He was shaking!

Maya & Inka's mommy
03-26-2011, 06:01 AM
I am watching the Belgian version of Idol 2011, called "Idool 2011"
We are down to 9 singers now :)

Karen
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
So wha did everyone think of this week's show? I didn't get a chance to watch either until last night, but was not impressed by Naima's song or her "Jamaican accent," which sounded very fake, even if it it somewhere in her heritage. It's sad because I want her to do well ... I also didn't like the job they did arranging - cutting to bits - the lyrics for Tiny Dancer for Stephano, and thought that, while Paul seems to have a good time, he's just not a good singer. I thought Lauren Alaina did a really good job, she could have made it very corny but didn't, and Casey did a much better job this week, thank goodness, I think he's very talented, but had kinda lost his musicality ...

As for the eliminations, I was surprised that Paul stayed, but not surprised at the two that did go home, but seemed kind of inevitable. I am sure someone will sign Thia up for something very quickly, she seems a "made for Disney" character, sweet, pretty, great voice ... and young.

And who did what to Jennifer Lopez' hair? Good gracious - it looked like it got teleported in from 1972 and plunked down on her skull! And, by the way, I thought Steven Tyler's comment about Lauren's dress was almost as funny as her reaction - she seems like a genuinely nice person.

Taz_Zoee
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I almost called it this week. My pick for the bottom three was Naima, Paul and Jacob. But I did say that Thia would be going home soon, even though I really like her. She just doesn't show enough of her personality on stage. If you saw her in the farewell package she totally has personality. I think she is beautiful and has an amazing voice. I do hope she is picked up for something. But like I said before, she was on America's Got Talent a while ago (I think she was 14 at the time).

Any predictions on who will win?? Even though she's not my favorite, I think Pia might take it all. My co-worker thinks it could be James or Jacob (yuck!!). I just can't take his voice. I fast forward through him now. :( Trust me, he can sing. But I just don't like his low voice at all.

I didn't even really pay any attention to Jennifers hair last night. Of course I was skipping through it (skipped the performances by Fantasia and Jamie Foxx and Will-i-am too). I thought the duo by Lauren and Scotty was AMAZING!!! They will both definitely go far in country regardless of the outcome of this season. :D

Karen
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't know, I do think Casey, James, Scotty and Lauren Alaina will go far, as well as Pia, but don't know if a female can overcome the voting block of preteen girls to beat out a male.

I think Haley is plenty talented but there's something about her that rubs me the wrong way, and while I do love Jacob the person, I worry that everything he sings is starting to sound similar.

Karen
04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
So what did you think of last night's show? I thought Pia and James did fantastically well, the others were okay, too. I do not understand why there was such a fuss about "country boy" Scotty singing Elvis. He did a great job, but it's not like Elvis' music didn't have deep roots in country music for goodness sake! I also just do not "get" why Stephano give JLo goosebumps, I do not see the appeal. He over emotes everything, and he sang so high up in his range, and I just didn't find it sincere or believable. I also found myself kinda puzzled by Paul's Folsom Prison Blues. Did anyone tell him it's not a particularly happy song? Enthusiasm and energy are all well and good, and yes, he's got nice teeth, but ya don't need to smile through everything ... particularly something called the blues, and made famous by Johnny Cash.

That's my opinion, what's yours?

Taz_Zoee
04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with you Karen about Stefano and Paul. Surprisingly I actually enjoyed Jacobs performance last night. I usually skip through him, but last night I watched and I liked. :)

Last night there wasn't anyone that was exceptionally good.....except maybe Casey. His was probably the best for me.

Can Randy please stop saying "they are in it to win it"? Isn't everyone???

Karen
04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Can Randy please stop saying "they are in it to win it"? Isn't everyone???

Exactly! That, and I love how they always show contestants saying "I want this more than anyone else here!" Don't they know every other person feels that same way? I mean, that IS why they are there ...

Oh, and what is with those stylists and shorts? I thought the shorts - if that's what they were - on Lauren Alaina were pretty darned unflattering.

Taz_Zoee
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
The girls were wearing Gwen Stefani fashion last night from her clothing line called L.A.M.B (which stands for Love Angel Music Baby). But yeah, I didn't like Lauren's outfit or Pia's. Haley's was okay. Then again, I'm not a fashion forward person to begin with.

Karen
04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm not in any way fashion forward, believe me! In fact, Paul swears that, as much as we admire Tim Gunn, I should never try to meet him, as one sight of me could kill the man! Thanks for clarifying that, I could see Gwen wearing any of those outfits, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea!

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Well I sure didn't like the end results from last nights voting.:( I thought that Jennifer Lopez was going to break down and cry. I won't spoil it for any one who may not have seen the results show yet. If this kind of thing continues, I can only imagine who might end up winning this year.:rolleyes:

Karen
04-08-2011, 12:55 AM
I was very surprised as well, thought the other person of the two left standing would be leaving at last for sure.

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2011, 01:03 AM
I was very surprised as well, thought the other person of the two left standing would be leaving at last for sure.

Me too. Wishful thinking didn't pay off this time.

Karen
04-08-2011, 01:07 AM
And I want to add that I actually fast-forwarded through Constantine's rendition of Unchained Melody, I thought it was just awful. And then came Iggy Pop, and I realized that it doesn't matter how good a shape you are in, there is some nebulous age after which a man should not appear shirtless, it was just odd and faintly distasteful. Sure, he's in great shape for being 63, yes, but someone needs to remind him he is 63, not 23. Even a vest would have been a marked improvement.

And, Cindy, at least we got a whole segment worth of explanation for those outfits! I agree that Lauren chose the best of what was offered her, after all.

Taz_Zoee
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I also fast forwarded through Constantine. Which is a bummer, because we are going to see Rock of Ages tonight in San Francisco. I can't fast forward through a live performance. LOL I also skipped Iggy Pop.

Well, I can't remember where I heard this, but it makes perfect sense to me now. The girls can't win due to the over abundance of young teenage girls voting for their favorite boy. It will definitely be an all boy finale. :(

Also, winning this show doesn't mean a thing. Think about how many winners have really made it big - Kelly and Carrie. Think about contestants that didn't win that have made it big - Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, Constantine, Adam Lambert. That's all I can think of right now, but I know there's more.
What happened to Fantasia (you only see her on American Idol!!), Taylor Hicks, Reuben, Jordin and David, Chris Allen even Lee DeWyze. They aren't out there with hit songs or movies. At least not what I'm watching or listening to.

It is just a popularity contest, but I still enjoy it. :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, I agree that most of the American Idol top 10 contestants usually do end up with recording contracts or doing something musically as a career. I actually liked Constantine's performance and I'd love to see the "Rock Of Ages" tour but I know that this weekend is the last weekend in SF and then they move on. Iggy Pop looked and acted ridiculous but I guess he's always been known for being a bit strange.

carole
04-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Well i have been wanting to come in to this thread, but i never know if we are behind or not down under,so for fear of spoilers i stayed away, however i could not stand the temptation any longer, and here i am, it appears we are not behind this year.

Firstly i LOVE all the judges, i really was a simon cowell fan, and i don't miss him one little bit, I am a huge Jennifer lopez fan, she is so beautiful, so emotional, kind and caring, and she does the job so well. and Steven Tyler, i love him too, and Randy is just Randy.

I think these are the best judges we have ever had, ellen was ok, paula was terrible.

As for your comments re Iggy Pop Karen , i tend to agree somewhat, i had no idea he was that old though, and really not in bad shape considering, he is not pumped up or anything,but yes i think it is time to wear a shirt, i found his segment quite entertaining though.

And although i was fan of Constantine, i agree his version to me was simply terrible.

The most gutting part of the show was to see the beautiful Pia go home, i was in shock, i still cannot believe it, America you got it so wrong IMO, she was so talented, and there were others i would much rather see have gone home.

For me my least favourite is Paul, i just cannot stand the guy, i hate his teethy smile and i don't like his voice.

I actually have found the contestants not as good this year and apart from Pia, i don't really have any favourites,I cannot even pick a winner this year,because i feel the one who should have won has gone home.

I think all Pia fans should start a petition to bring her back, such an injustice.

I wish the idol judges had not used their only save on Casey, although i quite like the guy, i sure would have preferred to see it used for Pia, it was so obvious how shocked they were about the voting as well.

I do like the guy who has touretts syndrome,(sp) i forget his name, but he is good,and the young blonde girl, the 15 yr old and the country boy, but none of them really stand out to me, and it will be interesting to see who wins .

Anyhow that is how this kiwi see's American Idol.:)

P.S i have to agree the shorts outfit was not flattering for the young womens body shape at all, and Pia's outfit was not great either, and she has the body that can wear anything.

Taz_Zoee
04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Well, I was not disappointed last night with Rock of Ages. It was GREAT!!! Constantine was soooo good! And the show was just funny too. I was laughing so hard at some points.

The girl who had his baby back in December was the lead girl in the show....apparently until she got pregnant. But the girl that is lead now has an amazing voice and she is super cute. I have no clue what the other girl looks like or sounds like.

Karen
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
So what did folks think of last night's performances? This is the first time Stefano didn't annoy me, maybe it's just that the song choice fit his over-emoting style better! And even Jacob tried to reign in the theatrics, and I thought did a better job last night. I still do not get why Paul is doing so well, as the guy is cheerful and enthusiastic enough, but he has no range, and I missed the higher notes that are usually in that song. And for once, I didn't like James Durbin as much, he was overshadowed by the guitarist, at his own urging. I hope he doesn't get booted because of that ... And for once, I didn't think Casey did a good job at all, it was just too obscure, and not terribly well sung, either.

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought that Paul was terrrible and hopefully he'll be in the bottom three. I agree that Stefano actually sounded good for once. I guess the song really suited him. I also didn't think that Haley sang well either even though I like the song she sang. I loved the song that James sang and I did enjoy it and I sure hope that others did too and will continue to vote for him. Casey's performance wasn't as good this time but I still hope that he'll receive enough votes to continue on in the competition. Jacob was still a bit annoying to me but I liked the ending of the song. I also thought that Lauren sang very well. She's now become my favorite female.

Taz_Zoee
04-14-2011, 04:03 PM
It's so funny that you two (as well as myself and my co-worker) did not really like Casey's performance and he got the standing ovation from the audience AND the judges. I didn't get that. :confused: I really like Casey, but didn't care for that song. And I don't even know the original song.

I did not like Paul last night either. Haley could have done better. I did like James and Lauren a lot! Stefano wasn't so great for me either. There is no telling who will go home tonight. But I suspect it will be a girl.......hopefully Haley. If not a girl then maybe Paul or Stefano (or Jacob!!). :) But after last week..........there is just no predicting it.

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2011, 11:17 PM
America finally got it right this time. I was so glad to see that Paul was voted off this week.:D I really liked the duet with Casey and Haley and Scotty and Lauren sounded great too even though I'm not a country fan.:)

Karen
04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
I am glad Paul was eliminated, he seems pretty limited. I mean, he's entertaining, and has fun, but that does not a music idol make! I was glad for Jacob that he was not in the bottom 3 this week, seeing as he followed the advice they gave him and toned things down, and it worked better, hopefully he'll learn from that. It'll be interesting to see what happens next week. I am glad James was not in the bottom 3, it was his weakest performance, but apparently other people than me still like him!

Karen
04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
So what did everyone think of last night's show? I thought having the exiled singers do "So What" was kind of cute, but otherwise pointless. And boy, did Paul blow that one, it was a "one of these things is not like the others" moment for sure!

I don't have anyone that I wish would go home from last night, even Stefano did a much better job, I like that they finally changed his stance from hunching his shoulders in, and he even managed to keep his eyes open. I still don't think he's great, but at least he was better. And Haley was even okay, and I didn't mind Jacob's piece either. I wondered what was happening when he pulled out the ear piece and discarded it, but at least he actually kept singing, and got better. Loved James, and thought the whole theatricality of it was well done - with someone else it would have been over-the-top and distracting, but it suited him fine!

What did everyone else think?

K9karen
04-21-2011, 10:37 PM
It was a toss up for me tonight. I'm not crazy over Stefano or Jacob. The boys seem to take loss better than the girls. My "favorite" keeps shifting after Pia left. But I find that exciting. this is the 1st year I actually watched the entire show. I hated being out of the loop! :p:D

krazyaboutkatz
04-22-2011, 12:54 AM
I really enjoyed Wed. nights show.:) I liked that they had the final seven describe each other and when everyone started wearing the fake Casey beard I found that extra funny as well.:) I thought that everyone sang very well but I kind of expected that either Jacob or Stefano would be one of the ones eliminated and I was right.

I was glad that both girls are still in the final six so it's a bit more even now. I love the band Muse so I really liked James and I also enjoyed Casey's performance too. I also thought that Haley picked a great song for her voice and she also performed well. Scotty was very boring to me and Lauren was good but I know she can do better. Stefano and Jacob were okay so I was glad that they were the bottom two. Bye bye Stefano.:)

Karen
04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Okay, wasn't James' performance last night amazing? I thought it was so well done in terms of format and voice and everything. Was not sure what was up with Jacob's suit, Easter meets golf plaid? Thought Jacob did okay, but just okay, and Casey's was fun for him to and almost as much fun for us to watch. But I thought James was the clear best of the night, the first time I've thought there was a clear winner.

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Okay, wasn't James' performance last night amazing? I thought it was so well done in terms of format and voice and everything. Was not sure what was up with Jacob's suit, Easter meets golf plaid? Thought Jacob did okay, but just okay, and Casey's was fun for him to and almost as much fun for us to watch. But I thought James was the clear best of the night, the first time I've thought there was a clear winner.

Yes, I agree that James had the best performance last night.:) I really didn't care for Casey's though. The song didn't even really require him to sing. It'll be interesting to see who will go home tonight. I look forward to seeing Crystal Bowersox perform too. Hopefully I can get home in plenty of time.:)

Taz_Zoee
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Jacob looked like a clown!!! All he needed was a big red nose. I really hope he goes home tonight. Don't get me wrong, he's a great person (I laughed so hard at his and James' package before their song), but I just don't like his voice.

I thought everyone else did amazing!! Haley really stood out to me last night. And that's why I hope Jacob goes home and not her. But you just never know. It's such a tough competition this year, for sure!

I saw Pia on Dancing with the Stars this week and just kept thinking - I can't believe she was voted off so early. But she's doing great! :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-29-2011, 12:59 AM
Well I wasn't surprised to see that Casey got sent home tonight. He's a great entertainer but he really needed to pick a song that would show off his voice like James did. I'm glad that none of the girls were in the bottom three this time and hopefully they'll continue to remain in the competition for a while. I thought that Crystal Bowersox sounded great and she looked a bit thinner to me too. Her teeth sure look better.:)

Karen
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Yes, I wasn't terribly surprised, as the song he chose was more fun for him to perform (not I didn't say "sing") than it was for us to hear. Yes, he's an amazing musician, but that alone isn't going to bring jazz scat back to the forefront of pop music!

Taz_Zoee
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
They did not say who was in the bottom three. So one of the girls very well could have been.
My pick for bottom three last night were Jacob, Haley and Casey. Well I know I was right on one of them. I didn't want Casey to go home, but at this point anyone can go. They are all so evenly matched (except Jacob IMO). I will be happy no matter who wins (unless its Jacob).

Karen
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
So, who agrees with me that the phrase "in it to win it" should be banned from Randy Jackson's vocabulary? If he says it about every contestant, doesn't that make it pointless?

I really didn't like either of Jacob's efforts last night. I like Jacob, he's a nice kid and I am glad he's made it out of Compton, but he needs to learn some self-control in his performances. Not everything needs to have the life squeezed out of it! It's like they should put his picture next to "overwrought" in the dictionary. And I am glad that Randy mentioned how he was completely sharp for lots of the song, instead of just using the nebulous "pitchy."

I thought everyone else did a good job, and that the judges criticism of Haley for choosing her first song should have been directed at Jimmy Iovine, who obviously chose it and pushed it.

krazyaboutkatz
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
So, who agrees with me that the phrase "in it to win it" should be banned from Randy Jackson's vocabulary? If he says it about every contestant, doesn't that make it pointless?

I really didn't like either of Jacob's efforts last night. I like Jacob, he's a nice kid and I am glad he's made it out of Compton, but he needs to learn some self-control in his performances. Not everything needs to have the life squeezed out of it! It's like they should put his picture next to "overwrought" in the dictionary. And I am glad that Randy mentioned how he was completely sharp for lots of the song, instead of just using the nebulous "pitchy."

I thought everyone else did a good job, and that the judges criticism of Haley for choosing her first song should have been directed at Jimmy Iovine, who obviously chose it and pushed it.

Yes, I totally agree.:) I hope that Jacob will be the one going home tonight. I vote online and I was planning on voting last night but I forgot too.:( I was checking my e-mail because it had been down yesterday morning and I didn't even remember about voting until this morning.:o

Taz_Zoee
05-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I totally agree with you too Karen. I really hope Jacob goes home tonight. I LOVED Haley last night! And I can't stand Lady Gaga. But Haley's second performance was the BEST of the night, IMO.

I loved seeing James get so emotional. That shows the sensitive side of him. And Scotty and Lauren are just darn good country artists!!

Karen
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Well, we got our wish, and it was not unexpected. I do not understand where Jacob's inflated sense of self comes from, really, I mean he is a nice kid with a good voice, but has a lot of growing up to do. What I think he never realized about Luther Vandross, for example, is the man spent years working to establish himself in his own genre before then branching out to do different things. Just because someone says you remind them of someone famous doesn't mean you can just assume the fame and credibility of the person. You have to earn it, first.

Taz_Zoee
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
FINALLY!!! From here on out it doesn't really matter to me who stays or who goes. I think the top 4 are all amazing. :D However, I would like to see a girl win it. :)

Karen
05-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I was sad James went home last night, I hope he will get picked up by some label and have a major career, he's got such a great voice, and all the heart a person could ever wish for.

I am surprised Haley's still in it, she's okay, but I just don't see what kind of career she'll have, or records she'll make, she's pretty and all that, but ...

So I'm hoping for an all-country top two, I guess!

Taz_Zoee
05-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Like Pia, I think it is best for James that he didn't win this show. He will go FAR with his career, for sure! He is in about the same position Chris Daughtry was on his season.
I wasn't thrilled with Haley toward the beginning, but I've really been liking her performances lately. I thought the judges were way too hard on her too. But the top four were (and are) all great! So I wasn't very shocked with James going home. It would have been sad for me to see any of them go.

I love Lauren's voice, but she needs to learn to hold the big notes longer. She always wimps out and doesn't hold them very long. EXCEPT when she sang with Haley last night. She held that note nice and long right along with Haley.

krazyaboutkatz
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I was also sad to see James go.:( Now the show won't be as interesting or entertaining without him. Hopefully he will have a wonderful music career ahead of him. To me it seems like Country music always wins over Rock/Metal music.

kokopup
05-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I hated to see James go because he was such a talent. If he had a problem, it was being full of himself. I think he was the most shocked to see himself being voted off. I know this was from years of coaching from his mother because of the handicaps he had to overcome. I think he will do well because he is very creative to go along with his amazing singing talent.

Taz_Zoee
05-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I think he was so upset because he was hoping to win this to help support his wife and child. While he was on stage crying, you could see him saying to his wife in the audience "it will be okay". But he doesn't realize that he will still be able to do that. He has talent that will take him so far in life. Idol just helped the world to see it.

Karen
05-21-2011, 12:44 AM
So finally watched this week's shows. I was surprised, frankly, that Haley made it further than James did, but not at all surprised to see her go. I do think both finalists have a good shot at making a career out of music, though they are both so young!

Karen
05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Also wanted to add, I fast-forwarded through a lot of the "filler" - Il Volo was perfectly earnest, but eh ... I wanted the results! And I thought Nicole Scherzinger's song and movements both were entirely too suggestive for the children and tweens in the audience of American Idol, good gracious! I only got about a 30 seconds into that before I started hitting the skip button!

krazyaboutkatz
05-22-2011, 02:52 AM
I wasn't at all surprised that Haley didn't make it to the final two. She sure sounded very confident after she sang her goodbye song. Maybe she's already been offered something. My prediction is that Scotty will win.

Karen
05-25-2011, 12:42 AM
So what did everyone think of the final performances tonight? I thought they both did just fine, and that Lauren Alaina's outfits will be the envy of many prom-goers this spring ...

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2011, 12:52 AM
Well unfortunately I had a long day at work so I barely got home in time to see any of the show. I saw Lauren's last song and then the recap of both Scotty and Lauren. I'm trying to vote online but so far I can't get through. I'm trying to vote for Lauren even though Scotty will probably win.

kokopup
05-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I think Lauren is the most talented and should win, but because of the young female following, Scotty will probably win. I think this was overall the most talented group to go through, and I see several, of the group, going on to great things in music.

Taz_Zoee
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM
I think Lauren is the most talented and should win, but because of the young female following, Scotty will probably win. I think this was overall the most talented group to go through, and I see several, of the group, going on to great things in music.

I agree about the young girls voting for Scotty. I have liked Lauren from her first audition and like Scotty equally. So it doesn't matter who wins. Both of them have a great career ahead of him. Most of the top 11 will have great futures. :D

Taz_Zoee
05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok, I won't say the results just in case anyone hasn't watched it yet. But last night I realized how much I actually do like Haley. I just love her voice!!
I also really like James. And then this morning I heard a new song by a new artist and it sounded a lot like Paul (his name is Andrew Allen). And I decided I really like his unique voice as well.
Oh, and for the record, I still can't stand Jacob's voice. :(
The girls sure got their stage time last night, didn't they? Poor guys!

I loved Casey and Jack Black! I loved James and Judas Priest. I really enjoyed Steven performance as well. And of course, the top two singing with their idols was awesome too. :D