PDA

View Full Version : Banking Question

Roxyluvsme13
01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
My bank has a $1000 withdrawal limit per day, and a $1000-$1500 spending limit per day (I'm not 100% sure on the spending limit, it said differently in two different places, so...)

Anyway, I'm buying a new computer tomorrow (a MacBook Pro, YAY!!!) and I can't exactly buy it unless I get that spending limit lifted...

My friend said just to call the bank and ask them to lift the spending limit, but what if they won't do that? I looked all over their website for anything related to lifting the spending limit and nadda.

So, what should I do?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-19-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd call the bank and tell them the situation. It's your money, so most likely they will make an exception. Are you sure it's a spending cap or just an ATM withdrawal limit? It seems like there wouldn't be a $1,000 limit on how much you could spend in one day; otherwise people would have to pay large mortgages in increments. :p

Roxyluvsme13
01-19-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd call the bank and tell them the situation. It's your money, so most likely they will make an exception. Are you sure it's a spending cap or just an ATM withdrawal limit? It seems like there wouldn't be a $1,000 limit on how much you could spend in one day; otherwise people would have to pay large mortgages in increments. :p
Well, the website said "You may use your checkcard to purchase up to $1000 in goods and services each day."

Which personally, is dumb. It's my money and I should be able to blow as much of it as I want in one day :p

I'll just have to give them a call here in a little bit and see what they say!

Suki Wingy
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
If you can't get them to deal with it you can take out like $500 a day for three days or something. When I went to buy my car though I went in and withdrew the cash but that was like $1200.

Roxyluvsme13
01-19-2011, 04:07 PM
If you can't get them to deal with it you can take out like $500 a day for three days or something. When I went to buy my car though I went in and withdrew the cash but that was like $1200.
Yeah, I could do $1000 over 2 days, but that seems like a major pain in the butt to me.

I have to wait till my money goes through (hopefully tomorrow) and then call them when I go buy the computer, I guess. I was told not to call in advance.

Freedom
01-19-2011, 04:10 PM
There is a limit on a debit card for YOUR protection. This is not a credit card, the money is taken out immediately. If you lose you card, your loss is limited to $1000.

Debit cards are anti consumer as it is, so limits had to be put on to protect folks.

Karen
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I bet if you go to the bank in person, you can withdraw more than $1000 a day - ask if that applies, if you can come in with a check (made out to cash) and walk out with the cash.

RobiLee
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I am a bank teller and my guess is that this is your check card limit. You should be able to write a check or go to the bank in person to receive your cash.

catnapper
01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
I run into this probelm all the time at work. Custoemrs simply call the bank and have the daily limit increase.

Medusa
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
I am a bank teller and my guess is that this is your check card limit. You should be able to write a check or go to the bank in person to receive your cash.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Roxyluvsme13
01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
The only problem is there's not a bank near school... And I don't have checks (though I was supposed to get them) so... I can't really do either of those.

I'll just have to call tomorrow and hope they let me raise my limit.

Karen
01-19-2011, 07:02 PM
The only problem is there's not a bank near school... And I don't have checks (though I was supposed to get them) so... I can't really do either of those.

I'll just have to call tomorrow and hope they let me raise my limit.

If you can make it to any branch when it's open, they usually have a "blank check" they can make out for you that will then have your account number on it, and you can use that to withdraw cash - check branch hours, as often banks are open late on Thursdays and Fridays ... I have done this when my checks had not yet arrived, or when I needed to withdraw cash, and didn't have a check with me.

Roxyluvsme13
01-19-2011, 07:10 PM
If you can make it to any branch when it's open, they usually have a "blank check" they can make out for you that will then have your account number on it, and you can use that to withdraw cash - check branch hours, as often banks are open late on Thursdays and Fridays ... I have done this when my checks had not yet arrived, or when I needed to withdraw cash, and didn't have a check with me.

If I could get there, it would work :/ I'm hoping that they'll just take off the limit or raise it... My friend had to do the same thing (she had a $200 limit) and she called them and they took it off so she could buy whatever she was buying.

Roxyluvsme13
01-20-2011, 11:07 AM
So, I called my bank today...

They said my limit will be lifted at midnight, though I'm pretty sure she meant "Your limit will be lifted until midnight," because I had to have her explain this to me :p.

Thank you for all the help everyone, I think I'm going to order checks so I don't have to go through this hassle every time I need to buy something expensive!