PDA

View Full Version : which camera do you

HoochsMommiee
01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
think is better, here is what i am looking for in a camera or if yoiu have any suggestions please post a link to the camera you recommend

good quality shots
clear shots
something that would take good movement shots

great night shots

here are 3 camers i sorta like

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_00353455000P?mv=rr

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W017139470001P?prdNo=16&blockNo=64&blockType=G64#reviewsWrap

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_020W016162670001P?adCell=W3

Husky_mom
01-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Canon and Nikon are a sure bet.. just not sure on the specific models.. in regards as to what you want to achieve.. especially at night shots..

but IŽd say any of those two would do..

Alysser
01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
I have personally not heard good things about General Electric, but that's just my experience, I've never had one nor do I plan on buying one.

I would have to say the Canon Powershot, since it doesn't require batteries. That might seem like a stupid reason not to get a camera for some people, but I know what it's like to be somewhere when the batteries die on you and you never have an extra pair. Rechargeable batteries never worked well for me either. Otherwise, the Canon and Nikon both look like decent cameras. I've had a Nikon (didn't need batteries) and it was great to use.

If you want a real suggestion on camera BRANDS, I have Olympus and I love love love my camera. It's a Olympus Stylus TOUGH 6000 and it can go underwater and all this fancy stuff. If you tend to drop cameras I would totally suggest it ;) The speed is pretty awful though. I will say that.

Roxyluvsme13
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Nikon!!!

Canon is nice too though, and I'm biased since I have a Nikon DSLR, but Canon or Nikon for sure!

CountryWolf07
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Nikon or Canon. I have a Nikon and I love it.

Freedom
01-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Canon or Nikon.

I have a Canon and like it.

Have you read any reviews online? Or Consumer Reports, at the library?

Here, check out both of those on this site; someone on here recommended dpreview back when I was looking for mine.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

dab_20
01-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I would also go with the Canon or Nikon. Very reputable brands. I would go into the store, see what features each of them have.

I too have an Olympus like Alyssa said, and I love mine... it is a DSLR though. I kind of wish that I had went with a Canon or Nikon because accessories such as lenses are soo expensive. However, if your going with a point and shoot camera there's no need to worry about that.

Freckles
01-17-2011, 09:10 PM
I have the Nikon L22. It's difficult to compose a picture on the display in sunlight. Can't see the image. However, here is a picture I took shaded by a tree. Easy to compose then.<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2">
</td><td nowrap="nowrap">
</td><td width="100%">
</td><td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

catnapper
01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I have that Canon Powershot and like it. I have the Powershot Elph too. I do see a huge difference in the black one compared to my Elph -- much crisper photos in low light conditions. I just wish it took better low-light images, but I realize the price point I am in means I sacrifice that feature. Its a great point-and-shoot camera, but hte feedback from friends is it looks "old" compared to the Elph, which is small and sleek. I'll take old looking over sleek any day when I see the photos it produces!

Roxyluvsme13
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
By the way, out of the three you posted, the Canon looks super nice. It has good zoom and a good number of megapixels.

If you want a higher end Nikon similar to the Canon though, look into this one here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+Coolpix+12.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/9758692.p?id=1218168160003&skuId=9758692

It's a bit pricier minus the current sale price, but it looks super nice!

cloverfdx
01-18-2011, 06:34 AM
I am a Nikon fan, but only of their DSLRs. I had a Nikon P&S for about a month before i got rid of it. For a P & S camera i would recomend most of the Panasonic Lumix camera's :love:.

cassiesmom
01-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Freckles -- what a sweet picture!

By the way, out of the three you posted, the Canon looks super nice. It has good zoom and a good number of megapixels.

A question on megapixels. My digital camera has four. My dad's has twelve. It's also smaller and the viewing screen takes up more of the back of the camera than mine does. (I know it drains your battery faster but using the viewing screen is the only way I can take pictures without having to take my glasses off.) Mine works fine and the pictures look okay to me, a digital camera novice. But his takes such nice pictures! When I print them, they are just brighter and cleaner and show more detail. So ... should I lok into getting a newer one? (two weddings in the family later this year so this is definitely the year to do it) Is a digital camera one of those things that, once you take it out of the box, it's outdated? If I buy a new one will I be replacing it again in 2-3 years as the technology gets even better?

Thank you,
Elyse

ps: dad's and mine are both Canon Power Shot, but my sister has an Olympus that takes reeeeeeally nice photos. Mom and Dad's film camera is an Olympus too. Are film cameras going away completely?

Alysser
01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Freckles -- what a sweet picture!

A question on megapixels. My digital camera has four. My dad's has twelve. It's also smaller and the viewing screen takes up more of the back of the camera than mine does. (I know it drains your battery faster but using the viewing screen is the only way I can take pictures without having to take my glasses off.) Mine works fine and the pictures look okay to me, a digital camera novice. But his takes such nice pictures! When I print them, they are just brighter and cleaner and show more detail. So ... should I lok into getting a newer one? (two weddings in the family later this year so this is definitely the year to do it) Is a digital camera one of those things that, once you take it out of the box, it's outdated? If I buy a new one will I be replacing it again in 2-3 years as the technology gets even better?

Thank you,
Elyse

ps: dad's and mine are both Canon Power Shot, but my sister has an Olympus that takes reeeeeeally nice photos. Mom and Dad's film camera is an Olympus too. Are film cameras going away completely?

Personally, I would definitely look into getting a new one, especially with so many events coming up. Also, if you print photos frequently. I wouldn't say they're "outdated", but I guess they do loose value. I got a new Olympus stylus TOUGH 6000 last year and they already have newer models! Mines still pretty fancy though, it takes underwater pics/can be dropped, pretty much for clumsy/adventurous people. :D But anyway, cameras are cheap enough to replace (IMO) anyway, and you can find some on sale for really good prices, websites, or just general store sales. In the next year I predict most consumer point-and-shoot cameras will probably go up to 14 Megapixels, but that's always gonna change. If you don't drop it around and be rough with it, it can last you well over 3 years. I still have an olympus (it's 2 MP LOL) that was one of the first Olympus digicams and it still works. Olympus is a great brand IMO.

As for film cameras going away, I'd have to say yes and no. Some people love Vintage photography and that means in the aspect of everything - from the way their cameras look to the way the picture develope. Film cameras for the general consumer - well yeah virtually useless unless you want to be going to get them developed all the time or can somehow do it yourself. I have a Film SLR camera, which I barely use. I would LOVE a DSLR but currently can't afford that.

Roxyluvsme13
01-22-2011, 01:09 AM

Thank you,
Elyse

I think the number of megapixels means the more you have the better it's going to print, or something like that? The more megapixels the bigger you can make the picture, maybe? I'm not 100% sure, but more megapixels are good.

I try to get a new camera every 2-3 years if it's in my price range; however, if you splurge and get a DSLR (I recommend Nikon because I have one and it is absolutely AMAZING) then it'll probably last you a lot longer than 2-3 years :)

anna_66
01-22-2011, 06:23 AM
I think it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I go to a lot of races and LOVE that my new Nikon Coopix 100 has a 26x's zoom and does great low light pictures.

I personally have had a Canon, Olympus (my last camera) and now a Nikon. I've liked them all! Just decide how much you want to pay and what options you want and I'm sure you'll pick a great one!

Happy hunting:)

cassiesmom
03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
A question on megapixels. My digital camera has four. My dad's has twelve. It's also smaller and the viewing screen takes up more of the back of the camera than mine does. (I know it drains your battery faster but using the viewing screen is the only way I can take pictures without having to take my glasses off.) Mine works fine and the pictures look okay to me, a digital camera novice. But his takes such nice pictures! When I print them, they are just brighter and cleaner and show more detail. So ... should I look into getting a newer one? (two weddings in the family later this year so this is definitely the year to do it) Is a digital camera one of those things that, once you take it out of the box, it's outdated? If I buy a new one will I be replacing it again in 2-3 years as the technology gets even better?

Thank you,
Elyse

The issue got forced because my Canon has gone missing. it's in the house somewhere, I think. I bought a Nikon L22. I've taken my first few pictures with it, but I still need to upload them to the computer.