PDA

View Full Version : The Westminster dog show is coming in a few weeks!

cassiesmom
01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
February 14 and 15 on USA television. I love to watch it because I always smile and I always learn a lot. I'd like to judge the Best in Show and give it them all! My mom and I usually make a big bowl of popcorn to eat while we watch the dog show and root for all the dogs we wish we could have. My list keeps growing every year! There are 6 new breeds this year including the Leonberger, which belongs to the Working group. Some day I hope to have a dog.

Here is a quote from the Westminster Web site... I like it.

As we have for many years during our televised broadcast, The Westminster Kennel Club will continue to make the following announcement: "If you are planning to add a dog to your life and have come to look over the best of the best, please note, no dog you have seen here (yesterday or today) came from a pet shop, or was the 'product', if you will, of a puppy mill. If you want a dog, go to the people who care - the dedicated specialty breeders who have made dogs like those you see here - a lifetime effort. Talk dogs with dog people who care and understand."

Karen
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM
The radio show I am a regular guest on had a woman as a guest who is a breeder for Dandy Dinmont Terriers. I have only seen them at Westminster, but never realized how rare they are. You can listen to that segment from the All Paws Pet Talk homepage (http://allpawspettalk.com), it's really interesting. They never say "And only X of these dogs exist ..." just "This is the top winning X breed ..."

I DVR the show every year!

Freedom
01-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey everybody, make a note: as always, on the first night you MUST Change channels midway through! (Can't "mess" with Monday Night Football :rolleyes:)

Schedule

NIGHT 1:
Monday, February 14
Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting and Herding Groups
8-9 p.m. (ET) live on USA Network
9-11 p.m. (ET) live on CNBC

NIGHT 2:
Tuesday, February 15
Sporting, Working and Terrier Groups, Best In Show
8-11 p.m. (ET) live on USA Network

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2011/show/tv.html

Freedom
01-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Here is the link for info on the 6 new breeds:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2011/show/news/newbreed_080410.html

Grace
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I always liked it when Roger Caras did the announcing. He would say if you want to get a specific breed dog - go right ahead; then head to your nearest shelter and adopt a stray.

Suki Wingy
01-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I just had a wave of nostalgia hit because I went to the website and checked who went BOB last year and not only did I recognize the dog, but the sire and dam too from the days I used to spend looking at every Dalmatian breeder's website I could find, analyzing pedigrees and formulating my hypothetical breeding program. :D

MonicanHonda
01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I am so excited. Argus, from Paisley dalmatians is going to be there. I really can't wait to see some Nspird dalmatians too. I LOVE them. I will own one one day... and I hope eventually I can go to westminster. :-D Delta and Doc's breeder has been to Westminster for Dals and Alaskan malamutes.... can't wait!

Freedom
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Wow that is awesome, both of you!
- Monica and Suki Wingy

IRescue452
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
For the longest time I did not remember that the Leonberger wasn't registered. I went to find a picture of one in my Westminster book one day and realized it wasn't. Its about time that and the Boykin get registered.

I'm a tough critic on standards but this show brings out the best of the best. Not that I'm a tough critic on a good dog being a good dog whether its a purebred or a mutt though.

cassiesmom
01-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Freedom, thank you for reminding me of the two different channels for the first night! I forgot they do that.

I learned something new today, each breed is required to have a rescue program in place for their breed. I didn't know that!

One of the first times my mom and I watched the Westminster show, this dog was one we wanted to learn more about. We still root for the PBGV every year http://www.pbgv.org/ There is also a Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen.

IRescue452
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Each breed must have enough dedicated population in the United States to establish a national breed club individually before petitioning the AKC for registration.

It drives me crazy sometimes when people think that the only pure breeds are ones registered by the AKC. There are countless pure breeds out there but not all have enough numbers or are owned by people who are interested in establishing a national club for showing their dogs. I mean, do you really think some hunting village in remote Africa who uses some type of pure breed all of their own is going to care about showing them and setting ideal standards?

cassiesmom
02-11-2011, 12:29 AM
The Westminster Dog Show is next week! Woohoo! Go, Dogs!

chocolatepuppy
02-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the reminder!:D

fritz03
02-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Mom and I will be watching tonight and tomorrow,it is on live up here in Canada for the first time on TSN,will be watching for the Toy group which has the Shih Tzu and the Non Sporting which will have the Bichon Frise.That will be a hard one to watch,it will remind me of my late buddy Fritz.

Grace
02-14-2011, 11:14 AM
The order of judging -

Tonight
1. Hound
2. Toy
3. Non-Sporting
4. Herding

Tuesday
1. Sporting
2. Working
3. Terrier

Best-in-Show

cassiesmom
02-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Mom and I will be watching tonight and tomorrow,it is on live up here in Canada for the first time on TSN,will be watching for the Toy group which has the Shih Tzu and the Non Sporting which will have the Bichon Frise.That will be a hard one to watch,it will remind me of my late buddy Fritz.

Barry, I'll clap and yell really loud for the Bichon and the Shih Tzu! Seeing the Bichon will be a chance for me to celebrate your buddy Fritz once more.

IRescue452
02-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I work at night :( So I have to catch the morning showings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

cassiesmom
02-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Here is a related game!

http://www.purposegames.com/game/c74366ab

Rebroadcast: 9 AM Eastern Tuesday morning (of Monday evening), 9 AM Eastern Wednesday morning (of Tuesday evening)

Go, doggies go!

Grace
02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
These are my favorite winners through the years.

1987 - the first year I watched, this glorious GSD, Manhattan, was the winner -
http://www.covy-tuckerhill.com/ManhattanStack.jpg

1996 - Brady, the Clumber Spaniel - how could anyone resist this face :love:
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2011/02/07/1996__1297098271_1610.jpg

2004 - Josh, the Newfie
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070201/070201_josh_DogShowBrill.vmedium.jpg

2008 - Uno, the Beagle. I knew he was a winner the moment I saw him.
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2011/02/07/2008__1297095260_5659.jpg

Freedom
02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh Grace, please don't forget 2001, JR!! Back then, I didn't even know what a BF was!

I remember Brady, first time a Clumber won! And Josh, oh my gosh, just wanted to snuggle in his coat. UNO?! What a personality on that one, hee heee.

If you follow a particular breed, results of today's breed showings are up. Here are the BF's:
[email protected]

Grace
02-14-2011, 06:03 PM
For Sandie, the 2001 winner, JR -

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2011/02/07/2001__1297097445_1840.jpg

cassiesmom
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
The hound group is done! And the winner is ____________ (I won't say it here in case anyone hasn't seen it yet) Can I just say though: wow, beautiful. The dogs in this group are so different from one another! I picked a different dog to win, but I always do.

Edited to say: The toy group is done and once again I chose a different dog to win. But that's okay. Some day I hope to be owned by a Papillon. My upstairs neighbor, 2 doors down has one and I just love her to pieces.

Edited again to say: Non-sporting group - that's 3 for 3 I picked a different dog to win! You know which one I chose in this group and why. ;)

Freedom
02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
LOL, thanks for that, Grace!

Non sporting is up now!

Grace
02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Done for tonight. Interesting mix of dogs. Looking forward to Tuesday night.

I just love this event :):love::)

K9karen
02-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Edited to say: The toy group is done and once again I chose a different dog to win. But that's okay. Some day I hope to be owned by a Papillon. My upstairs neighbor, 2 doors down has one and I just love her to pieces.

*Raises Hand!* Me too! Those ears, that face, the eyes! A total sweetheart.

Freedom
02-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Drummer made Group 2! GORGEOUS bichon, just gorgeous!

Back 4 years ago, when I was looking, it was the Papillon I thought I'd get. Then some folks on here suggested the bichon.

fritz03
02-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Well done for the Bichon who finished 2nd in Non Sporting,wasn't crazy about the winner,the Shih Tzu didn't place in the Toy Group but the breed it descended form the Pekingese finished 1st.There 3 dogs from Canada in the Toy group,the Havanese from Calgary,Alberta,The Brussels Griffon from Guelph,Ontario about 3 hours west of here and the Yorkshire Terrier form Coquitlam ,British Columbia.We will be watching it tonight for sure.

cassiesmom
02-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Quick question. The way a poodle's coat is styled for the show -- how long does that take? And does the dog get styled back to a regular coat when it isn't show time? And the Bichon- do you have to use a dryer or tease the coat or put a styling product on it to get the "powder puff" look? And, same question- do you change the style back when it isn't show time? How do you teach a dog to be patient at the stylist's? I wonder, for a dog like a Beardie or an Old English Sheepdog, how long does it take to care for their full coats? For other dogs, huskies or collies or shelties- does the groomer comb or brush them beforehand so they look their best? I noticed that some breeds with the fuller coats, the handler has a brush or comb at hand even while they are in the ring. Some day I hope to have a dog.

IRescue452
02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Most of the dogs do not get a pet clip when off the show because they are at shows year-round. Some get their hair wrapped up at times to keep it nice. The dogs learn from an early age to stand on a table or crate and stay still during grooming. It can take about 3 hours for a large dog like an English sheepdog to get the bath and brush out. It took me about an hour once to do an ok job at a poodle lip on a cocker spaniel, so I'd imagine a good groomer could do it in 2 or 3 well enough for show. You can definately take breaks in between to stretch and let the razor cool.

The only dog I didn't like so far was that dalmatian. His spots were all run together. I guess it isn't a big fault if you can distinguish them as spots overlapping rather than patches but wouldn't a breeder rather let this one go to a pet home?

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2011, 01:25 PM
The only dog I didn't like so far was that dalmatian. His spots were all run together. I guess it isn't a big fault if you can distinguish them as spots overlapping rather than patches but wouldn't a breeder rather let this one go to a pet home?

Awww.... I liked the Dalmation....

lvpets2002
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
:) Yes I watch the Westminster every year.. I am always happy for whom ever wins..

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Here we go - night two begins!

My favorite group, sporting, is up - GO SETTERS!! :)

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Love my Setters, but that Springer was gorgeous! We'll see how it goes...:)

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Ah, Irish in second; congrats to the black Cocker. :)

cassiesmom
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Here's a video of yesterday's winners -- it is about 4 minutes long. There is a short Pedigree commercial beforehand.

All 4 of these dogs are so different from each other with 3 more to come tonight; I would love to have coffee with a Best in Show judge and learn how they choose from between 7 unique dogs!

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/fullep/

Pinot's Mom
02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
On to the final! I like the Bearded Collie - what do you all think?

cassiesmom
02-15-2011, 09:37 PM
The Working Group - I picked the wrong one again! I was rooting for another dog that finished in the top four. I won't say the results in case anyone hasn't seen it yet. But I was rooting for the beautiful Samoyed!

Grace
02-15-2011, 10:05 PM
It's over - and I'm totally delighted :)

That's the one I wanted :)

Freedom
02-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Another FIRST! LOL

cassiesmom
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, that's not the one I chose --- I'm 0 for 8, ha haa!! But, okay! Wow! Hello, beautiful winner and congratulations!

What do Best in Show judges look for, anyway? Do they have to be familiar with the standards of each of the 150+ breeds? They don't know which dogs are up for Best in Show, right? So it could potentially be any combination of seven from all the breeds in each group? I know they have to figure out which dog best represents their standard; but I think that would be very hard to do. If I were judging, it would be a seven-way tie... thank you for coming, hand me seven ribbons and let me pet the winners!

Edited to add: I'm with Pinot's Mom and K9Karen-- I picked the bearded collie (on cuteness :)). The man who judged the group had great things to say about the eventual best in show winner in the video clip from the first night.

Grace
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
What do Best in Show judges look for, anyway? Do they have to be familiar with the standards of each of the 150+ breeds? They don't know which dogs are up for Best in Show, right? So it could potentially be any combination of seven from all the breeds in each group? I know they have to figure out which dog best represents their standard; but I think that would be very hard to do. If I were judging, it would be a seven-way tie... thank you for coming, hand me seven ribbons and let me I pet the winners!

I read this about what this particular judge said about his winner -

The Best in Show judge, whose first language is not English, said of the win, "xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx... is exactly the same like I studied in the standard that was about 150 years ago. Outstanding dog. Moving and type was super. All the others were wonderful."

K9karen
02-15-2011, 11:09 PM
I loved the Bearded, but I picked the winner. I wasn't familar with the wolfhound, but loved his aloofness, calm, elegance, everything about him. Congratulations Hickory!

IRescue452
02-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Congrats Hickory! I'm certainly glad we had a good judge over one who chooses bases on popularity. Sometimes a dog who fits the standard the most amazingly is there, but the judge chooses the crowd favorite.

Its not that hard to get all those standards in your head. I've been obsessed with dogs since I was a kid. Its all in me noggin I tells you. I even got upset seeing the Icelandic sheepdog in the show for the first time. It was too darned big! So I ran to get my dog breed encyclopedias and all of them said they should be 12-16 inches. Then I checked the new and un-improved AKC standard and they want 16.5-18 inches! Blasphemy! And its not like I even looked up the icelandic sheepdog before the show so I'd be prepared. I had no interest in the breed. But I remember all about them because I read every new dog breed book I get from cover to cover.

pomtzu
02-16-2011, 06:28 AM
That Hound was a real sweetie :love:, but I was favoring the Bearded Collie or the Black Cocker Spaniel to win. They were all magnificent, and I don't know how anyone could ever choose just one!

cassiesmom
04-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I love what the judge does here... the look on Hickory's face is cracking me up, though! "Judge, don't kiss me... You're not going to kiss me, are you Judge? Not in front of all these people..."

http://snsimages.tribune.com/media/photo/2011-02/86119520-16035136.jpg