PDA

View Full Version : Plus sized Fashion

catnapper
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
I have resigned myself to being plus sized. No matter how hard I try, I always end back up in the plus racks. Through much soul-searching, I am ok with this this. I give myself permission to be overweight (this is a huge breakthrough for me)

PROBLEM IS: Plus sized clothing is truly awful. If they are not blah, shapeless frump, they are made for amazonian women. All the clothes are tailored as if you get taller as you get wider. they also love to stick shockingly ugly prints on everything.

Am I the only one who hates their options? I feel like I can't find a look that says "Kim". I want color thats sophisticated (not splashy and garsih). I want flattering cuts (as opposed to great big boxes). I want easy wash and wear. I want fabric cat hair doesn't magnetize itself to (Ok that one is a hard thing to find in any size!)

Karen
01-14-2011, 08:23 PM
You need to be persistent - often stores that you might not think of like Macy's, Dress Barn and other department stores often have plus size things, but just a few of them so you have to look hard. I've gotten two great denim skirts at Dress Barn of all places! Check sale racks - this time of year is good for stuff left over from the holiday push, and you have to be willing to go through the racks, but I often find inexpensive pieces that will work fine year 'round. Also, look online. There's a lot more selection online, and more and more places are designing for plus-size women. And of course, adding a belt can make a "tent' more shape-fitting, for example.

http://www.onestopplus.com/

http://www.leeleesvalise.com/

are two places that seem to have some shapely things.

I hate that some places just assume anyone ever a size 12 wants black knit garments, and sweats, as you said, that are just sad and shapeless. And capris. I do not own a single pair of capris, think they are unflattering on almost everyone, and make ya look shorter than you actually are ... why oh why do they make so many of 'em?

cassiesmom
01-14-2011, 08:29 PM
C.J. Banks (my new favorite store!), Catherine's ... both have online shopping too. Then there's Lane Bryant and Torrid stores' styles, which to me are more like something you might see in a fashion magazine. I don't shop there because of the dress code at work, but if the dress code was more casual, I could.

I really like the Jessica London catalog for pants.

Coldwater Creek has sizes from small to 3XL but some of their items are too expensive for me.

I need to learn to sew because for me, the problem is sleeve lengths. I'm forever rolling up my sleeves. I moved the buttons on a couple of good blouses because the cuffs come halfway down my hand. If I could just raise the sleeve at the shoulder it wouldn't be so darn long. Plus I'm washing my hands a zillion times a day so my cuffs are always wet- I hate that. I don't have longer arms at size 28 than I did at size 22, people.

Freedom
01-14-2011, 08:37 PM
All the clothes are tailored as if you get taller as you get wider.

PMSL, I complain about this ALL THE TIME!!! SO great to "hear" someone else say it, thank you!!!

Suki Wingy
01-14-2011, 10:59 PM

I actually wish that was the case with clothing! I tend to find the opposite. I'm 5'9" and pretty average build I guess, but I find myself having to wear plus sizes because it seems like everything I find is meant for tall lean people. (like my 13 year old sister, she is 5'10" and still growing!) Either that or it fits width wise but is really short.

I actually have a thing with plus size. I don't think it should start at size 12. I ride right on the border of normal and plus sizes and I think honestly it would be so much better if everything was labeled/sold by measurements. Like all pants should be labeled 31"x35" (inseamXwaist) It would make buying things online much easier for a start!

Twisterdog
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I hear you ... on both issues!

Maurices and Vanity have plus sizes, and great clothes, since they are geared to teens.

Online, try Woman Within. I buy a lot of stuff there. And try ebay. You'd be surprised at what you can find, if you don't mind searching a bit.

shais_mom
01-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I absolutely LOVE Maurices. And my 2nd choice is Fashion Bug.

Karen
01-15-2011, 01:03 AM
I probably looked like an idiot doing my Christmas shopping, but I wanted to buy nice warm sweaters for both my sister and my big brother's wife. My sister is shorter than me but has a long torso, and my sister-in-law is quite tall but not too wide, so I was measuring sleeve lengths on every sweater, trying to get my sis-in-law something that had long enough sleeves but wasn't 3x her size in the torso, and my sister something long enough in the torso but without sleeves that go past her fingertips! Took me a while, but I persevered, and both recipients were happy.

carole
01-15-2011, 04:57 AM
I was surprised to read you having so much difficulty, i would have thought that in the US OF A one would be spoilt for choice,and i mean that kindly, as i just know America has so much awesome things on offer, compared to my lil country,however we have a few plus size shops here, carpenters daughter and K & K come to mind, they are both expensive, you won't find anything much under 80 dollars an item there though.

I often like the plus size clothing better than the ones i get for myself, and just wish it were in my size.

I hope you manage to find something nice,i find it harder as getting older to find things that suit me, they seem to only cater for the young these days, that is my biggest moan, somethings i can wear, but others i look at , and think no way, can a woman in her mature years wear that, well at least not me anyhow.

Everyone no matter their size should be able to buy things that suit them, make them feel nice,not frumpy for sure, good luck.

kittycats_delight
01-15-2011, 05:48 AM
I had the same issues when I was living in Canada not so anymore. It is not because there are many plus size options here in Italy but there are a few amazing online stores that have nice things, sizing is always perfect, quite economically prices and very good quality. I know there are a few PTers who also love it and a few of my hubby's friends moms & sisters & significant others as well. I have even gotten things for my mom from there as they don't just cater to plus size. They do it all. They have lovely undergarments (which is usually really hard to find in plus size) & their boots & shoes are amazing. I am a boot, shoe & purse addict. :p

Anyway, it is called bonprix. So if there is anyone in Europe or the UK that is in need of a place like this check it out. I do believe they have websites for a lot of different countries. There is definitely one for germany, uk, france, italy etc.

pomtzu
01-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Wow - it is strange for me to read this. So many times when I'm shopping and not really paying attention to size, I see some of the nicest outfits - then I look at the size and it's a plus. I'm forever saying to myself - "now why can't I find something like that in my size?"

I'm a size 2 (not by choice-it was a medical issue), and I'm 66 years old. Do you know how difficult it is to find age appropriate clothes for myself??? :eek: Sure - jeans or sweats aren't a problem since they are ageless - but try to find a dress or skirt or even just causal tees. Yikes - no way I will I dress like a teen or even someone in their 20's.

When I was still working and had to dress in office appropriate clothes, finding clothes was a nightmare. I finally discovered Chadwick's mail order, and since they carried size 2 petite clothing, it became a lot easier for me. Over the years other department stores have started carrying a lot more of the very small sizes, compared to the almost nothing that used to be available.

So tiny or plus - I guess we all have problems finding clothes that suit us. :p

Pinot's Mom
01-15-2011, 09:20 AM
My size has been all over the map. I am now a 16-16W, but have been as high as a 22. I have found the "plus sized" stores tend to have the WORST clothing! It seems to be made for women who prefer to wear bedsheets as clothing. Standard stores DO have larger sizes, and you can find higher end looks. Is there a Kohl's near you? They have a lot of Liz Claiborne and other designers who have better lines than the "plus" stores. Stores I stay away from: Lane Bryant & Fashion Bug. Lane Bryant is OUTRAGEOUSLY priced and Fashion Bug (at least the one here) tends to have poorly made clothing. I don't know if you do any TV/online shopping, but I have found some very nice things on QVC. They have designer as well as more casual lines and, once you figure out your size compared to their size, you can do quite well.

Good luck!:)

kittycats_delight
01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
oops, Kim I forgot about this one. Don't know if there are things there you would were or not but check it out. Torrid plus size clothing (http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp)

Randi
01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I was going to ask if you have MASAI clothes over there, then I searched and found that there is one in Massechusets. The clothes they have are wide and a good quality.

http://www.masai.dk/dealers/dealers.asp

Roxyluvsme13
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
oops, Kim I forgot about this one. Don't know if there are things there you would were or not but check it out. Torrid plus size clothing (http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Homepage.jsp)
My favorite!!! :love:

I don't think it's fair at all that a lot of things stores make only go up to like a size 7...

I used to have a huge issue finding clothes, but not so much anymore :).

Good luck, I hope you can find some things that you like!

sparks19
01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Ross

I find their plus sized section has some nice pieces. you have to wade through some of the uglier pieces but I've gotten quite a few tops there

Husky_mom
01-15-2011, 12:58 PM
lol.. flashback.. been there soooo many times..

they fit wide but not long
they fit long but too tight
and not to mention.. when something really really fits both sides it has this teenie tiny cups only for an Acup.. lol.. the girls just wonīt fit.. lol
or itīs intended to go bra-less.. which I canīt do.. lol..

and pants.. lol when they fit waist I always have to trim the legs a few inches.. thatīs why I love jeans that come in inches.. I can choose!!

mrspunkysmom
01-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Try Catherine's, Cato, Lane Bryant. I like the Catherine's here in Greenville, but I discovered while at home for Christmas that different Catherine's carry different stuff. I haven't checked out the online store yet.

I used to avoid such stores since most of their plus size stuff looked like frilly Sunday-go-to meeting dresses. I wanted a variety of clothes styles.

Catherine's stuff fits better. Catherine's Lane Bryant, and Lauren Ashley are all owned by the same company. LB is trendy, LA is youthful, and Catherine's is mature.

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Although I'm not a plus size, I have bought many things online from Blair and they carry everything from petites to plus sizes. Their prices are also good and they always have some kind of a sale going on. Since I'm on their mailing list, I also receive their catalogues which contain promo codes so you can save even more money. I'm tall,almost 5'10",and medium sized jackets from Blair have fit me just right. Here's the link:http://www.blair.com/home.jsp?cid=YM_011511&referer=YM. Good luck.:)

Marigold2
01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
My daughter in law gets a lot of cloths from Dress Barn.
And don't give up the fight too much.
Remember if you only gain 5 pounds a year that adds up to 50 pounds in 10 years and 100 pounds in 20.
I don't know how old you are both another 50 or 100 pounds cannot be good for your health.
Even losing 10 lbs can make a big difference. It's not cosmetic its about living healthy.
Wishing you the best of luck.
I have diabetes so for me I have to watch all the time, I know how hard it is but the good news is I am in better shape then I was before the diabetes and thinner so there you have it.

catnapper
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
My daughter in law gets a lot of cloths from Dress Barn.
And don't give up the fight too much.
Remember if you only gain 5 pounds a year that adds up to 50 pounds in 10 years and 100 pounds in 20.
I don't know how old you are both another 50 or 100 pounds cannot be good for your health.
Even losing 10 lbs can make a big difference. It's not cosmetic its about living healthy.
Wishing you the best of luck.
I have diabetes so for me I have to watch all the time, I know how hard it is but the good news is I am in better shape then I was before the diabetes and thinner so there you have it.

Please, please PLEASE do not tell me about losing 10 pounds. I have lost the same ten pounds twenty times in the past year aolne. an extra ten pouns permanently and stable is much better than up and down. I gain when stressed. Lose when I get a grip on the stress. Regain the lost weight when I stress. Lose it later. I can't keep doing this to myself! I was the same exact size for 8 years before I lost weight. Since then, two years ago, I've been down to a 12, up to a 20, and anywhere in between at any given day,

3Catcondo
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Old Navy has a Plus section on their website and I think some stores have one, too. Their plus stuff is cute.

Amy

jennielynn1970
01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
You can also try J Jill and Avenue for plus sized clothes. I love Cold Water Creek, but normally can only afford their clearance clothes. I love Macys, but it runs hot and cold there. Same with Avenue. Sometimes it's great, other times I'm wondering what they're thinking. If I think of any other places, I'll come back.. I know there's one more place I shop that wasn't listed, but I can't think of it at the moment. One Stop Plus is great though... try them, definitely.

Forgot the other site... CJ Banks.com Really nice plus sized clothes.

cassiesmom
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM

Man, I thought that was only me! I've discovered with Catherine's pants that although there isn't much difference in the rise between petite and average, there is a difference in the leg lengths. So I try on the petites now. They also have a cut of pants that fits better on my apple-shaped body. Not quite so full-cut.

Taz_Zoee
01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I am kinda on the border of plus size. But I mainly get my pants at Old Navy and they now have sizes bigger than 12.
But I used to go shopping with my plus size friend and we would go to Lane Bryant and I wished they had my size there. I thought they had a lot of nice clothes. Casual and dressy. So those would be my two suggestions.

Roxyluvsme13
01-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Did anyone mention Cato's?

I completely forgot about them and they're one of my favorite stores.

cassiesmom
01-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I am kinda on the border of plus size. But I mainly get my pants at Old Navy and they now have sizes bigger than 12.

I checked out Old Navy's Web site... I had no idea they carry women's sizes. And modestly priced, too! Thank you, Taz Zoee, for the suggestion!

catnapper
01-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Thank you everyone. I was at the doctor's today and was reading a magazine, where the plus sized editor was complaining about the same thing I am: modestly price clothing is not shaped properly. She worded it more eloquently than I did.... she asked that fashion designers be locked in a room with size 16 women and see that just because you add width and legnth doesn't mean its going to fit! Some of us hide our weight in sectionas (belly and chest for me) while others are in their legs and thighs, while others are all-over. She said that Lane Bryant has a new DKNY line.... I'll have to check it out, but I've never been too thrilled with their clothes.

I typically buy Jones New York, or Liz Claiborne (I LOVE LIz!) but they closed the Liz outlet by me (BUMMER!!!!!)