PDA

View Full Version : California - 40 cats need help!!!!

ThePerfectDog
01-14-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm the founder of a dog rescue in the southern bay area and the shelter where we rescue most of our dogs from has an urgent plea for help. They have 40 incoming cats that they don't have room for and are desperately seeking for cat fosters, adopters, or rescuers. So far, no one has stepped forward to help. This is urgent as they are coming in TOMORROW!!! please see this news article on the situation.

http://www.gilroydispatch.com/news/271771-animal-shelter-needs-help-to-find-home-for-40-felines

Karen
01-14-2011, 12:27 PM
What city is it in? Do they know anything about ages, genders, and health? (FIV status, etc.?)

Freedom
01-14-2011, 12:48 PM
The article suggests it is San Martin area.

"All the cats are neutered, healthy and in good condition, with about half being friendly."

"The other half are unsocial, and would make good barn cats and mousers,"

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2011, 01:35 AM
I heard about this through a lady that I know that works for FOSMAS. Unfortunately I can't be of help but I hope that others will step up and be able to help out to at least foster some of these cats.

ThePerfectDog
01-15-2011, 09:46 AM
KAK - Do you know if FOSMAS is going to be doing anything to help? I haven't seen/heard of them being too active.. I really hope they and other cat rescues step up to help in this situation!

krazyaboutkatz
01-15-2011, 06:29 PM
KAK - Do you know if FOSMAS is going to be doing anything to help? I haven't seen/heard of them being too active.. I really hope they and other cat rescues step up to help in this situation!

I'm not sure. Since I know one of the women in FOSMAS, I added myself to the e-mail list that she sends out weekly. In addition to their pet adoption schedule, she sometimes also includes things like lost pet info and foster help needed info. You could try to contact someone in FOSMAS to see if they are going to attempt to help or not. I think that she was just including this story to let others know about it in case someone would be able to help. I wish I could but I already have 6 cats of my own and I only live in a two bedroom condo with carpeting throughout except in the bathrooms and kitchen. It's not an ideal place for fostering.

cool4catz2
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh my...how can one or 2 people think they can take on so many cats to begin with? Well I sure hope they get the help they need...the couple as well as all those cats:love: Saying prayer that all goes well.

Taz_Zoee
01-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Tony La Russa's Animal Rescue Foundation in Walnut Creek does not take in animals directly. But they pull animals from local shelters when their time has run out.

www.arf.net

There is a phone number on the website that you can call and I believe they will tell you the shelters they pull from. Perhaps the cats could be divided up amongst these shelters. The only down fall is I can't guarantee all 40 of them would find homes or make it past the "deadline" before being PTS. But another thing is the cats would have to be driven to these shelters.
Maybe someone at ARF could give some suggestions for these cats as well.

Is there an ETA or a date when the cats will be in San Martin?

I'll be going to ARF on Sunday. I could see what I can find out then. But if something is needed sooner, calling ARF directly would be the best way to get immediate info.

ThePerfectDog
01-19-2011, 11:45 AM
The cats are already at the shelter. I pulled two of the shyer ones yesterday and am fostering them myself as I have a spare bedroom in my house they can relax in until they're more adoptable.

I emailed a few cat rescues myself and never heard back from any of them. The shelter has also not heard a single peep from any cat rescue despite going to the media for help. No one has stepped up to help. If there's anything ARF can do, even just networking with other cat rescues that can actually help, that would be INCREDIBLE. Hopefully we can help save at least a few lives.

krazyaboutkatz
02-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Hi everyone. I just received an e-mail from FOSMAS Rescue Group and this is one part of their e-mail that really caught my eye:

URGENT PLEA - Our Shelter is taking-in 40 cats from a lady who fell on hard times, has a very ill husband, and is no longer able to properly care for them all. Many of these cats are friendly, while the rest will do better in a safe barncat environment. All are healthy, spayed/neutered, and vaccinated. If you or someone you know is looking for a kitty to come into their home or barn, please contact our Shelter Supervisor, Brigid Wasson, at (408) 686-3901 or [email protected] ASAP so we can help as many of these kitties as we can.

So it appears that FOSMAS has stepped up and is or already has taken the 40 cats into their shelter. Hopefully many of them will find loving forever homes.:)