PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on a laptop?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I think it's time for a new computer. I'm a grad student plus I do work from home when I get projects. One place I work for is an education company where I score tests, and their software only works for a PC, otherwise I might lean towards a mac (except they are so pricey!). I also need MS word and I own a copy for a pc but not mac.

Right now I have a cheap Dell and it has all kind of quirks. The battery is totally worthless now and the power source keeps going out, sometimes when it's plugged in. The original power cord is broken, and the replacement seems to have stopped working.

Preferably I'd like to spend less than $650, but I would be willing to spend more for something that would last a long time. Also, this thing will get taken along nearly everywhere and occasionally banged on by my daughter, so it has to be sturdy!

Any suggestions on a good laptop? Thanks in advance for any input!!

Suki Wingy
01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I know next to nothing about PCs as I have been a Mac user since I was little but good luck!

Alysser
01-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I have had dells for as long as I can remember, all I can say is...never again. I had a Sony Vaio that was half decent till the battery went and it needed to be connected to the charger at all times. Oh and until Mikey jumped on it, but that's another story and it was all my fault really. But at the time, it was five years old. I now have a Macbook, and I don't think I'd ever go back to a PC. I LOVE it! I haven't had any problems. It's really nice not to worry about getting viruses from everything on the web. I know they're expensive but they're really really good and I have never heard of anyone having major issues that I personally know. I am sure there are plenty of bad stories about Macs on the internet, I guess it just depends on the person.

As for the issue with Word, you can get Microsoft products that run on Mac OS X and it'll be a little different but you won't have any difficulties. My brother bought the MS pack for him, my sister, and me and I believe it was around $150 with 3 uses. It comes with Word, PowerPoint, Entourage and Excel.

Freedom
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
I've always had Compaq/ now HP.

Check out Consumer Reports at the library.

Roxyluvsme13
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
All I can say is don't get a Toshiba. Their customer support is really awful, and my computer has been horrible with heating issues.

If it wasn't for the software issue, I was definitely going to say GO MAC!!!

There are a couple of nice HPs out right now, though I'm not sure they do so well on the battery life. I was looking at a Sony Vaio (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Violet/1243828.p?id=1218240959370&skuId=1243828&st=sony%20vaio&contract_desc=null) that I thought seemed pretty nice, and it's on sale right now, hehe. (Plus it's purple!!!)

Honestly though, I would just do a TON of research and see what appeals to you. Good luck!

jennielynn1970
01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
One word: Mac.

I know it's not in the price range you want, but they are great for not getting viruses, and they are just really easy to use.

Karen
01-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Laptops are a really personal thing, in terms of whether you are comfortable with the size and the key action most of all. I would definitely look at the Macs - as you are in education, you can ask if there's any discount through your school, but before you buy anything, try it out at a store first, okay?

Misty_Pearl
01-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I had a dell laptop a while ago and it was OK. Now I think I would get an HP or a Mac. Of course I don't know how difficult it is for compatibility with the more common computer world.

blue
01-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Ive had good luck with Acer's, plus we havent seen many in the shop for repairs. Asus would be my next choice for a laptop. We see more HP and Dell laptops in the shop for hardware issues, their consumer grade stuff is just cheap. Dell and HP have good commercial grade stuff.

I run Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/) on all my gear and dual boot Ubuntu and Widows 7 on my netbook. Most MS Office programs can run on Ubuntu with PlayOnLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/), although Access and Outlook will not.

Sonia59
01-14-2011, 02:45 AM
I have very bad luck with laptops, so I don't know what to think about them anymore! Many problems with a HP, problems with a Samsung (this was a notebook, so different category though), and now I have problems with a new Toshiba. And I am very careful with any kind of material, so I don't think it's me, really. A lot of money goes in buying new but not functional stuff :mad::mad:

Perhaps the solution would be to go for professional models rather than a specific brand. Pro series do not seem to have such short time life...I would say Dell, Acer, HP.

Scooter's Mom
01-14-2011, 06:17 AM
I have a Dell that I "custom built" from their website and have loved it. I bought it when I went back to school a few years ago.

My husband claimed it once I quit school and now he mainly uses it for games and HULU. lol - but it's been a really good machine.

Randi
01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I say, get a Mac! Even a second-hand one will probably be better and last longer than any PC. Have a look here: http://www.apple.com/mac/

happylabs
01-14-2011, 10:10 AM
All I can say is don't get a Toshiba. Their customer support is really awful, and my computer has been horrible with heating issues.

If it wasn't for the software issue, I was definitely going to say GO MAC!!!

There are a couple of nice HPs out right now, though I'm not sure they do so well on the battery life. I was looking at a Sony Vaio (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Violet/1243828.p?id=1218240959370&skuId=1243828&st=sony%20vaio&contract_desc=null) that I thought seemed pretty nice, and it's on sale right now, hehe. (Plus it's purple!!!)

Honestly though, I would just do a TON of research and see what appeals to you. Good luck!

I agree. I have a Toshiba and it has basically been good but it is always way to hot. I have a fan for under it but it still gets warm. However, I often wonder if it isn't filled with cat hair. :D

I am going to try another brand when the Toshiba dies.

Let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

Cataholic
01-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I have had a Dell for as long as I have had a laptop- 15 years? I love Dell, and would get another one when mine goes. I stopped using my laptop at work, and only use it at home now, so it might be years before I need to 'upgrade'.

Good luck!

blue
01-14-2011, 10:58 PM
IM going to reiterate the Toshiba overheating with: every Toshiba that came through the shop had overheating issues. Some where "fixed" with a BIOS update, and some where doomed to over heating. Under clocking the CPU may have helped but we never tried that. Consumer grade Dells are also know for overheating.

Sony's have good hardware and a good solid feel to the cases. I just wouldnt pay the price they want for them.

I like the mid priced systems.

I wouldnt use a Mac on a day to day basis unless it was my job. IF my job was a graphics designer, web builder, audio engineer, or video editor I wouldnt complain about using a Mac. Since Im none of those the Mac OS only pisses me off as restrictive and non intuitive.

Middle grade gear using linux is like using Windows on Premium price systems.

And Linux has even less virus threats then the Mac OS does.

So Pem, checkout Ubuntu or Mint Linux as your main Operating System as they offer more flexibility over Windows or Mac OS. IF you absolutely need Windows you can run it as a Virtual Machine within Linux to get your work related stuff done. Running a virtual machine under linux is free, if you want to run Windows on a Mac you have to pay for the "privilage".