PDA

View Full Version : MY Melissa is off to UNIVERSITY...

carole
01-12-2011, 04:32 AM
I am so excited for my girl, today she got her results, and she passed her level three with a merit, her level two was upgraded to an excellence as well,unfortunately despite her good results she was disappointed to miss out by three credits, or one paper to get her scholarship which would have mean't three thousand dollars,which would have been so great for her, however she just said to me oh well Mum, it just means everything i get i will have worked for myself,no handouts, which i thought was a pretty good attitude despite her obvious disappointment.

Today she got her letter of acceptance from the university, which is just half a kilometre down the road from where we live.

Melissa begins her Bachelor of Science Technology four year degree end of feb or early march.

The great thing about this degree in her second year she gets three months paid work placement and in ther third year nine months,so not only does she get paid, she will also have experience, often they leave uni and then get told sorry you have not got the experience we need, which is so silly,this happened to my nephew, it took him a while to get a job.

So that is my happy news of the day, she also joined the gym today, so good that she is doing something to keep fit.

She has at least two male friends already studying law in their second year at uni, and her school friend of many years is doing the same degree,so that should be really good for her.

Anyhow just had to share my good news thanks for listening.:)

davidpizzica
01-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Oh, Sis, I'm happy for both of you. It really sounds like Melissa has her education planned in the right direction and has it thought out. Congratulationns to Melissa!

moosmom
01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Congrats from across the ocean, Carole! Your whole post is BEAMING with pride!!!

Good luck, Melissa!! Enjoy adulthood!! We're proud of you!

lizbud
01-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Congratulations to Melissa.:) Sounds lke a very bright girl with a great
attitude & great future. I know you must be so proud of her.:)

Miss Z
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
My congratulations to Melissa. :) She is lucky that university is so close! I've just returned to my university residence and 'home' seems very far away again... hehe.

How wonderful that she can get a work placement in her second year, and I do hear you on employers not always being satisfied with 'just' a good degree. I'm sure it will stand her in really good stead for her future.

Best of luck to her and I hope she really enjoys university life!

phesina
01-12-2011, 11:47 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, Melissa! Well done!

Lilith Cherry
01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Well done Melissa! We are all proud of you,:D

carole
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks from me and on behalf of Melissa, i don't know who is more excited me or Melissa lol.

She is keen to find a cure for these awful diseases we still have,would be amazing if she did, but time will tell, let us hope she does actually enjoy this degree, she can change to another if necessary.

Yes Miss Z, we are so fortunate, to live so close, it has it's pitfalls though, too many parties and antics in my area, ok when you are young, but not so tolerable at our age lol, it took some time for her to actually be persuaded to go to the Waikato University, she was looking at the bottom of NZ at one stage, and auckland which is two hours away, but much more expensive to live,it seemed such a shame to have it on your back doorstep and not take advantage, common sense in the end prevailed.

This degree was not her first choice really, but i think she is more than happy with it now, and it seems to be probably the only one with the paid work experience, which in my book is a real added plus.

yes fingers crossed she enjoys her university life, the hours are pretty good, though, better than school, so that is another plus.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow, good job to Melissa! That is great news. :)

Suki Wingy
01-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Congratulations to Melissa and I think it's good that she picked one so close to home. I'm not at school but I am working four hours away from home right now and I've just come back home for two days but the traveling gets a little tiring as well as stressful on my car, which in turn stresses me out!

I'm sure she will enjoy herself and getting her degree and work experience will be very rewarding. Sometimes I wish I would have stuck with university.

carole
01-14-2011, 01:56 PM
You are still very young, so have you thought about maybe going back to uni,if you feel regrets now, you always will, my son left school ,with only basic qualifications, he regrets it so much, however he has done well and worked his way up the ladder and is now in a managerial position, but he wishes now he had completed his schooling and had gone to university,he wants to go to university now, but financially it probably would be too hard for him, so do think about it, seriously do it the easy way if you can before it gets too complicated,,.:)

Suki Wingy
01-14-2011, 11:06 PM
I have thought about it but I want to finish grooming training first and also I'm thinking about going back to the UK to do my BHS exams, not because they'd really be useful but just because I kind of want to do them and have a legitimate reason to spend time in the UK. I think I'd really have a fun time studying but I'm not sure I could afford to go full time, which I'd need to do in order to focus properly.

carole
01-15-2011, 04:43 AM
You sound like a very sensible focused young lady, who knows where she is going,good luck with all you do.:)