PDA

View Full Version : Work - odd issue - Should I be concerned? Advice? [vent...]

CountryWolf07
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Today, I walked in the door to work - looked at the printer, and saw a bunch of flyers that have been printed out. I was working on them last week. I did not realize there was a deadline when it needed to be completed. Otherwise if I knew, they would've been done by then. Instead, my boss finished the rest of the designing, etc. of it & all ready to deliver to the client. I e-mailed him to create a PDF for me so I could complete the rest of it. (my computer can't do the adjustment for some reason, his computer can..) And I never heard back about it. So, and he completed a flyer that I was working on and I wasn't aware of a deadline - and I just e-mailed him to let him know that if there was a deadline I would've done it by whatever, but if any misunderstanding, I was sorry for it. I couldn't help but think, did I do something wrong? It is my job to do this, to print, create, get stuff done for the boss and for the clients as well. Is it weird if my boss leaves w/out telling me he's off to Colorado and I had no idea until a coworker told me today. I wrote a e-mail just earlier to inform him of it and ask him if there was a deadline for it to be done, I did not realize, and I apologized to him as well if there were ANY misunderstanding(s) about it. I can't help but worry.

So, when my boss & his wife left earlier from work - I asked my coworker to see if they were coming back because I needed to talk to my boss and I was told, "Oh, they won't be coming back anytime soon. They are leaving for Colorado for rest of the week. They'll be back on Saturday."
I was not aware of it. I work tomorrow & Thursday, might as well on Friday to pull in some extra hours. I hope I have things to do at work because I am not really thrilled about how I am not told about what's going on around the office. I wasn't even aware of the fact they were leaving for Colorado today.
Seems like lately, when I walk in the office, I'm unnoticed. Until I say hi or someone says hi back to me. The only time they talk to me is when they need something done. No small talk. I just feel invisible a lot lately and it ha been playing on my moods too. I'm normally a happy person but I can't stand the idea of being 'invisible' in a work environment. These people I work with, have known each other for 10 years. I'm a 'outsider' - I only have been working there for 8 months now.
I deal with real estate people/title/marketing people. It's a small company. I do marketing & graphics. I only do this as a part time job, 3 days a week but lately, I have been pulling in more hours than normally because I need the money. I also have been searching for a full time job as well.

I just think it is weird. Or is this a NORMAL activity in a work/office environment? I'm obviously, concerned. I will be talking to him when I see him next week.

Karen
01-11-2011, 09:11 PM
If you feel you are unnoticed until you say "Hi," take the initiative, and greet everyone individually when you see them. Relationships are a two-way street, and as you are the "new" one, it's up to you to make an effort.

As for the deadline, I would make it a policy to ask about a deadline for any task when it is given to you. That way this sort of thing does not happen.

CountryWolf07
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I actually do say hi, try to start a conversation, etc. but it doesn't work out for the most part. Usually they end it too soon before I can try.

kitten645
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree with Karen. As a boss myself, I think communication is very important. I make sure to let my staff know what I expect and when. In regards to "small talk" and socializing at work, I feel lilke I'm paid to do a job and so is my staff. I don't mind small talk if the necessary work is getting done. But people standing around chitchatting isn't what they are being paid for. I agree it should be a pleasant work environment and I would say that if people don't greet you it could well be that they are immersed in their work. I make a point of saying hello to everyone everyday and find that it makes people aware when I pass by and they always greet me. Sometimes before I do!
I don't think it helps to worry about it when there' nothing you can do about it till your boss returns. Talk to him then to clear the air.

caseysmom
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a different slant I guess if a young person fresh out of college got hired I would go out of my way to make them feel welcome they sound like snobs to be honest. Just give it time, do your work and smile.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if that is normal or not. I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd keep trying to be friendly, but don't take it personally if people are quiet. Who knows why people act the ways they do- all you can really do is control how you act. It seems a little rude that others are ignoring you, but maybe they are naturally quiet or shy or something...or maybe absorbed in their work? I also second Karen's advice about always asking for a deadline so you know in advance.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you there! Maybe it's just not a chatty office and I'm sure it's nothing personal.

pomtzu
01-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Could it be that they feel uncomfortable with the fact that you are hearing impaired, and maybe they feel awkward in pursuing a conversation??? Some people do act "differently" when they know that there is something different from themselves. Are these people friendly with each other, and just single you out? I would certainly hope that this isn't the case, but people can act strange in some situations, tho I fail to see why this should happen to you - kind of like schoolkids who we know can be cruel in certain situations...:(

BTW - I'd chat up a storm with you anytime if I had the opportunity. ;) Just hang in there and keep looking for that full time job that's suited just for you. It's out there somewhere.....

Cataholic
01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I think most part time people are treated differently, but prolly not intentionally. You aren't there 5 days a week. They are. Some people might resent that, some might not care.

It sounds to me like a blend of two things. You are hyper sensitive that you might have inadvertantly missed a deadline, and that the office doesn't care for you. One prolly casts a shadow on the other.

Maybe on Monday, or one day last week when you were not in the office, the boss announced he was leaving on Monday afternoon for the week. Maybe he didn't realize that you didn't know? Maybe he realized on Monday, when you weren't there, that he needed that project done ASAP, and he finished it? It could have been simply bad timing.

As to how people treat you- if you are saying a cheery 'hello' each time you come in, and maybe dropping a compliment or two every once in a while, and getting the cold shoulder- that's one thing. I would say that isn't very nice of them. What can you do? Not much, IMO. Say 'hello' and do your job. I have found it difficult to work in environments where there is tension in the air- I hate that.

Any chance that any of them know you are looking for full time work?