PDA

View Full Version : One cold kitty!

Laura's Babies
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
I think Samantha is the most cold natured kitty I have ever seen. I am always finding her here...She isn't hiding, she is catching the warm air as it comes out of the vent..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/IMG_0188.jpg Yesterday, i found her here in the living room.. Hogging the heater vent..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/IMG_0193.jpg

Or she burrows into the covers to get warm...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/IMG_0163.jpg

(note, my heater vents are so sensitive that if you bump them, they will close so right now I have that blue tape over them to keep them open.)

She is the only one I have that hugs the heater vents. Right now she is under the covers completely on the sofa. Anyone else have a heat hugger?

kittycats_delight
01-11-2011, 02:07 PM
She is such a pretty girl. ^_^

I have 2 heat huggers here. Bella & Frost can't get enough heat on them. Bella will sleep on the marble window ledge in the kitchen. The radiator blows up the heat and really heats up the marble...she loves it there. She also loves the hammock part of the cat tree in our bedroom cause it is right there on the same level as the heated and gets quite warm. Frost is either under and I mean literally under the radiator in the main entrance or he is under my bed laying on a 'hot spot' where there is a hot water pipe that runs under the floor making it really toasty. LOL

Bella was a feral and had 1 cold winter outside and has since been in with us and you couldn't get her to go out if you threw her out. Frost on the other hand has always been inside and while he is curious...he isn't curious enough to want to venture out even in the heat of summer let alone in the cold of winter.

cassiesmom
01-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Awww, Samantha! You are a beautiful heat-seeking kitty! I love your gorgeous black coat. So shiny and lovely!

I have a heat-seeking kitty, too. She will park herself in the path of the space heater, where it is warm. She naps in the closet, against the wall that adjoins the common laundry room- which is always warm from the clothes dryer! And a good sun-puddle never goes to waste.

Cassie is like Bella and Frost- I can't get her to go outdoors when it's sunny and 75F, let alone in winter!

Edited at 7:30 PM CST to say: I will try to get a picture of Cassie and the space heater. Grace, your white kitty is beautiful!

kaycountrygal
01-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Samantha, You are so shiny and have such a pretty coat of fur. You're so shiny you look as if you're wearing black satin/velvet. Keep warm! Kay in NC

Freedom
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Remember, cats derived from the warm climes of Egypt.

Most of mine start feeling a chill if it goes below 70 or so. We don't keep it that warm at night in winter, so they snuggle with us, the dogs, one another. And yup the heat vents! RB Vita used to sit on the end table with her head inside th lamp shade to warm her face and ears. Her ears were ALWAYS cold.

Hi Samantha!

catmandu
01-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Miquelito and Pouncierge sit in front of the stand up vent, which was standard until someone put in floor vents.
To me anyways this is a better way for the heat to come out.
:love::love:
And our Cats even with their fur coats lose heat faster than we do, so that is why Samantha wants that flow of warm air!!!:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, since our heating/ac vents are on the ceiling, my kitties can't cuddle them. But I have found Jax curled up in a blanket (if you are friends with me on FB I have a picture of him as my profile pic right now). He was missing and we couldn't find him anywhere. LOL I've never found Paizly under blankets or on warm things.
Taz used to sit on my computer. And he would love it when I would rub his ears to warm them up. Jax lets me do this sometimes too. He is so much like Taz in little ways. :)

Medusa
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
This brings tears to my eyes, Laura. My RB Boo was a blackie and he did the same thing. First thing in the morning when I turned up the heat, he'd make a bee line for the hallway vent. Creamsicle does, too, except she hogs the kitchen vent. Now Yodie takes Boo's place in the hallway.

Grace
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Reese is a great lover of registers in the winter. She also likes to burrow under the afghan on the footstool, between our feet. We discovered her on a cool day in October 2001 - climbing into car engines to get warm. So keeping warm is very important to her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/March16th/DSCN4241.jpg

Laura's Babies
01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I am glad to hear she is not that unusual! She sits in the corner in the bathroom all the time, I thought at first it was to just be alone, then I realized it was the heat. She loves getting under the covers too and will stay under the covers all night..

columbine
01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
My apartment gets pretty cold, so I just got a pressure-sensitive warming pad and put it on the one cushy chair, under a soft blankie. That's Smudge's default winter spot, unless I'm in bed, where he joins me just as I'm dropping off to sleep.

Cat's natural body temperature is actually a bit cooler than humans', but they're carnivores, not omnivores like us. They're built for hardcore sprinting, and tend to conserve energy otherwise, so they're sponges for heat!

Love, Columbine

aTailOf2Kitties
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Toby can quite often be found napping immediately in front of the woodburning stove, and on rare occasions will crawl under the covers with meHavoc just goes from lap to lap. :)

Katelf
01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
It really must be a black kitty thing to do. My black cat Sid (Obsidian) is always found under the blankets on the bed, or snuggled up to the vents and sometimes under the pillows, lol. :love:

chocolatepuppy
01-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Laura, how's this for a heat hugger? Sometime I swear Missy's gonna catch on fire!:eek: (sorry about the eyes!)
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=48&pictureid=3557

krazyaboutkatz
01-12-2011, 02:13 AM
I don't have any vents for heat just baseboard heaters which are very old and I don't trust them. I recently bought an oil filled radiator and Storm loves to be in the cat condo which is across from it. Pearl loves snuggling with either Sky or Storm to help her stay warm. Last night was very cold here in CA so even Ziggy wanted to sleep in my warmer bedroom. When I woke up this morning, Storm was wedged in between Pearl & Ziggy. They know how to keep warm.:) My RB Pepper, also a black cat, used to love sunning himself and he'd get so hot to the touch that I never understood how he could stand the heat.;)

Laura's Babies
01-12-2011, 09:09 AM
chocolatepuppy- I LOVE that picture of Missy! Now THAT is a heater hugger!!

Taz_Zoee
01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I had to come back to this thread to correct myself. Just this morning Paizly was on the recliner that has a throw blanket across the top. She tried to climb up under the blanket to the back of the chair but the blanket slipped off onto the chair. Oh well....so she snuggled down under the blanket. Only she was on my robe that I had to move and she meowed at me when I took it. But then she settled back in under the blanket. And the strange thing is...it wasn't even that cold in the house (60 degrees). It's been colder the past couple weeks.
Her doing this reminded me that I do have a picture of her when she did succeed in climbing up to the back of the chair under the blanket. I'll have to find it. I think I posted it here a long time ago.

Laura's Babies
01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I do have a picture of her when she did succeed in climbing up to the back of the chair under the blanket. I'll have to find it. I think I posted it here a long time ago.

That would be so funny!! I hope you find it!

lvpets2002
01-12-2011, 04:16 PM
:love: Awee all of your Heater Hugger Babies are so Adorable.. Now my babies just think they have to huggss on me at night & hogg the covers..

catnapper
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I have major heat hogs around here. I have been wanting to post this photo for weeks, but after Allen passed, I didn't have the heart.... notice 4 cats on one radiator shelf.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/006-3.jpg

They also all fight to sleep on top of the DVR cable box. Its apparently quite warm.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/FunnyMystic.jpg

Grace
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
I was down at the Mill today, buying birdseed. They recently acquired a store cat - gorgeous, long-haired orange male. 6 months old with the most amazing gold eyes.

Anyway, Leo sleeps on the counter, with his head resting on the credit card scanner - it gives off a fairly significant amount of heat.

I tried to love him up, but he wouldn't budge from that spot. Another creature of comfort :)

cassiesmom
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
What a fun topic! :D

slick
01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey, a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do. :)

Laura's Babies
01-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Kim! LOL! I think you should do a "caption this" with the one of them on the DVR box... that one is to funny!!!~