PDA

View Full Version : I need some college advice *Update: Accepted AGAIN!*

Alysser
01-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I'll get straight to the point. I got rejected by a school already, and I've only applied to 3 schools. I am not looking for pity, because honestly, I'm not that phased by it. I didn't want to go to this school anyway, but it was kind of a blow to my self-esteem. My GPA is a 3.56 and my SAT score..well that's pretty bad, but I still don't see why I didn't get accepted. But I don't care that much, it wasn't my dream school. AND now I am doubting myself about getting into the 2 other schools. :(

I've always contemplated just going to Community College, because unless I go to the school 1 hour away I would be commuting to my top choice anyway. What do you think about going to Community College? I've heard mixed opinions and everyone said it's just like High school and it's the same people and all that. My sister said her friend cries in her car in between classes because she has no one to talk to or something. I mean I feel like I would hate it, but it's just so much cheaper. $5000 a year compared to $18000? I wouldn't have as much loans to pay off. AND now I am torn between 3 majors..Marine Biology, Zoology and Wildlife Management.

Marine Bio, I've loved since I was a little kid, and I was sure it was what I wanted with my life, but now...I'm torn once again. I know I want to do either these 3 things, or something very closely related. Marine Biology is a hard field. Zoology/Wildlife management would allow me to do what I've always wanted...move out west since they're very big fields up there. So going to CC would help me decide WHAT I want to major in by giving me more time!

I see why it could be bad. Now, I'm anchored here for 2 more years, which isn't what I wanted at all, but if I can get a good start in CC and transfer to a 4 year Uni in a different state, that'd be okay. I wanted to get a new start, far away from here...or at least a new start academically. I am not a fan of NJ and can't wait to leave.

So what do you think? Is Community College a bad choice in this situation? Is it bad AT ALL?

I know I sound desperately confused right now, but this is a serious decision I need to make, and I just might do it. My brother went to the CC I'd be going to and he said there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

pomtzu
01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Any form of higher education is a plus - be it CC, trade school, or university. You almost sound to me like you are thinking of yourself as a failure for not being accepted at one of the universities you applied to. You need to get that out of your head. Think positive, and know that you are already in the winner's circle for even applying to these schools. No matter which you choose, it can only lead to a better life for you. Don't be embarrassed and apologize for the school you ultimately choose - just know that it was your decision and you are definitely moving forward with your goals. GOOD LUCK!!!!

p.s. Even tho my granddaughter is going to MU - she absolutely HATES NJ. Only 4.5 years to go......:D

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2011, 10:11 AM
I think community college is a great choice, especially if you are the least bit unsure of what to major in. Plus, you may get into the other 2 schools you applied to. If not, don't take it personally- it's getting harder and harder to get in anywhere. I have a master's degree and am currently working on my PhD- so I've had a good 7 years post-HS education- and I can say that I enjoyed community college more than the big state university I started at.

I HATED having 300+ students to a lecture then getting the "real" teaching by a grad student who had no idea how to teach. You don't even really need to take 2 years at CC if you don't want to- I ended up taking credits here and there and earned about 40 or so that went towards my BA.

Rejection really, really sucks. When I first applied to grad schools 5 years ago, (I think I applied to 3 or 4), I got rejected by all of them. But, you know what, I ended up deciding I wanted to go into another field anyway and got into a top institution later in a different field. You never really know how things will turn out.

And about the HS thing...there are people everywhere, at every age, who sometimes make things like high school, unfortunately. You would not believe some of the adults I have worked with in the past. However, you sound like you are more mature than that and could avoid those situations. And as long as you get involved in something on campus I don't think you'll have any trouble making new friends even if you don't live in the dorms.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
01-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah, I thought of something else to add. Aren't there any schools you are interested in with application deadlines still open?? It's early January so I would imagine there must be some. Good luck! :love:

Karen
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Community college would be a fine place to start, and it's not "just like high school" in that no one is being forced to go there! Keep it as an option, and many school make you get through freshman year before declaring a major anyway, so don't stress about that too much right now. And the three majors you have listed have many of the same basic requirements anyway - so wherever you go you can take your basic college biology and sciences and then decide!

Your sister's friend who cries in her car between classes obviously has other issues than just being at Community College - there are plenty of people there and if you reach out, you'll make friends!

Marigold2
01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
CC are great. Less tuition, usually closer to home, smaller classes and more of a communtity feel. All my kids started there as did my niece who went on to become a vet. Why pay double of triple for a four year school to just take the basics? The smart move is to start at a CC get your basics down and then transfer to a four year school with those great grades you got.
Best of luck to you.

Asiel
01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you took a blow to your self esteem because of that one rejection. Look at it this way, the school doesn't really matter but the fact that you're looking to better yourself and continue your education is a big plus in my book. A good education, no matter where you go is something you will never regret. I think I'd go along with starting at CC , save some $$$ and decide where you want to take that education for the next term. Be proud that you opted to continue your education...

cassiesmom
01-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Our local community college has transfer arrangements with several local 4-year schools to make it easier for students to transfer to a bachelor's program. They streamline the process of having your credits evaluated and getting enrolled at the 4-year school. I know two people who have done it that way.

My niece's academic adviser told her that she should consider colleges in 3 categories- those you know you can get into; those you're pretty confident of getting into; and "in my wildest dreams" schools. She ended up at a school she had no doubts of getting into, and it is working out okay so far.

DJFyrewolf36
01-09-2011, 12:22 AM
As someone who has been to a University and a community college I have to say I enjoy the community college a lot more. The professors are more oriented to individual student success because the class sizes are so much smaller. I also noticed that there tends to be a bit more of a diverse population as far as age when it comes to a community college. In my writing class this term there is people in their 50s all the way to a kid who can't be much older than 15 and every thing in between. I find the discussions in classes with a more diverse age range are more interesting.
Community colleges are also much much MUCH cheaper and some offer programs that rival or beat similar ones found in universities.

momcat
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Please don't eliminate community college. I didn't do well in high school and was accepted by a community college. From there, I was accepted to a high ranking state college and graduated on the dean's list. Community college is a great way to start plus it will help you acclimate to a 4 year college.

At this point, don't be too concerned about your major. Many students start in a particular major then find something they like more and do better in. I started as a biology major then changed to Literature. Most schools give you a sample of everything in your first 2 years.

Whatever you do, don't give up!

CountryWolf07
01-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh, please don't eliminate community college. :) I went to a community college for two years, and it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to major in. It also gave me a chance to 'grow up' on my own, figure out my responsibilities, etc. Good luck! And don't stop trying.

Alysser
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys for the great advice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a wrong choice.

I don't think I'm a failure, I'm just kind of disappointed in myself. Maybe I didn't work top notch in high school but I didn't do half as bad as some kids. I'm totally not ruling out CC, I'm actually considering it alot more now. It sounds like the best choice for me. My major is probably going to be any 3 of those, I can't that changing! Thanks for the great advice though, I will definitely let you guys know how everything turns out.

Alysser
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Well guys, I did get accepted to one of the schools today. :p I still have to see what I am doing though!

caseysmom
01-10-2011, 04:11 PM
During college app time my daughter had a 3.89 and she wasn't accepted to one of the colleges she applied to.

California is pretty bad, she applied to 8...3 she really wanted and several "safe" options. She was accepted to her top 2.

It was unfortunate that your first was the bad one though but keep your head up it means nothing. Also congratulations on the acceptance you got today how exciting!

Freedom
01-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the acceptance!

Alysser
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to update to say I got into my other school! So 2 out of 3 schools, not bad! I have 3 Options, but have no clue what I'm doing yet. I will, however let you all know. I have some things coming up that will help me make a decision. :p

Karen
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Congratulations, now you have several options and a big decision to make!

Roxyluvsme13
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Oh, the joys of choosing a college. Good luck, Alyssa and Congratulations on both of your acceptances!

wanwan1007
01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Congratulations on both your acceptances.

pomtzu
01-14-2011, 05:45 PM
MU by any chance??? :confused:

Alysser
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
MU by any chance??? :confused:

Yes! That was the one I got into today. I just didn't want to announce it to the world.

pomtzu
01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Congrats!!!! :D
And I doubt that anyone here besides you and I, know about MU.......;)

dab_20
01-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Congratulations on your acceptances!!

About the Community College option, I do go to one myself. It is definitely NOT like high school. If anything I think Universities are more so. Most people at mine are there for going to college to get a career... not for the party life. People are mature, classes (I've heard anyways,) are a bit easier than University classes, and it's cheap!
I do plan on switching to the University of Utah when I'm done with my first two years for nursing school though. CC is a nice place to begin with.

Good luck on choosing. I'm sure whatever you decide, you'll like it!