PDA

View Full Version : And then there were SIX!

Freedom
01-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Found this little one wandering in the street this morning. Couldn't just leave her, so brought her home, lol.

She has a rabies tag, and I have phoned the vet TWICE. They have called the owner and left a message on the answering machine. Not sure what is going on exactly, as she has been here since 10:30 AM, and even if they worked they should be home by now! The vet told me which city she lives in, it is across the river, a good 15 to 18 miles away. Looks like she is here for the night.

She is fine with the cats, and she has made it clear to all 5 bichons that she may be small, but she is MIGHTY! Marlin has taken the worst of her antics. She is only after them if one of them finds a crumb on the kitchen floor -- somehow, she has laid claim to ALL CRUMBS!

Calling her "Sweetie." She loves liver treats, lol. Not sure how much she can / should eat, so being cautious. Plus, I NEVER thought we'd have her here this long!

Taz_Zoee
01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Awww, she looks pretty healthy. So she probably hasn't been away from home for too long. Although her nails are super long.
The owners may be out of town. How long will you keep her before taking the next step?

Husky_mom
01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I´m not even going to say a thing.. she´s not a bichon.. lol

and she has tags.. hopefully the owners get back home and check their messages..

perhaps when they came home realized she was not there and left to look for her, hence not being home yet.. just a thought.. luckily the vet has their info

chocolatepuppy
01-06-2011, 06:10 PM
What a 'Sweetie'. I hope there's a good reason her owners aren't calling.

Vette
01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I´m not even going to say a thing.. she´s not a bichon.. lol

and she has tags.. hopefully the owners get back home and check their messages..

perhaps when they came home realized she was not there and left to look for her, hence not being home yet.. just a thought.. luckily the vet has their info

My thoughts exactly.

she sure is cute though :D

K9karen
01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Aptly named! Except for her nails, Sweetie looks great! Thanks for taking her in..lucky dog....I also hope there's a good reason why her owners haven't called. Keep us posted..I know you will. I :love: you, Sandie!

Alysser
01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
YOU SCARED ME! :p Aww come on, you know you love her. :love:

She's adorable, thanks for taking her in before something happened!

Husky_mom
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
it´s rather common.. at least over here.. for chihuahuas to have mega long nails.. maybe because they are indoors and can´t wear them down..:confused:

kaycountrygal
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Thurs night, 1-6-11
Ohhh, Poor little thing. I hope she hasnt been thrown away and probably not. In my country area, owners/dumpers remove the dog's collar & any identifying items before they dump dog. Maybe the owners are out of town and left her with some relatives or friends in your area and she ran away. I'm glad you're taking care of her and little dog isnt out by herself. As you know, I have a soft spot for chihuahuas. Kay in NC

Karen
01-06-2011, 08:48 PM
She looks well fed and all, maybe someone who was watching her for her owners - some folks are just returning from the holidays - accidentally lost her, which of course would mean they don't know there's a message on her people's answering machine ...

Freedom
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Although her nails are super long. The owners may be out of town. How long will you keep her before taking the next step?

I've thought about her nails They are dark black, and I have trouble cutting MY dogs' nails, which are mostly white.

Yup, owners could be out of town. I will probably check w/ my animal control tomorrow, see if anyone called looking for her. Never gave it a thought earlier today.

The vet office told me I could drop her at animal control and they would take care of getting her back to her owner. Yeah right, like I am going to drop off a wee Chi at our shelter, which has cold concrete runs. Sure they are indoors, but really? So we shall see; I really hope we can just get her back to the owners.

cassiesmom
01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Hello there, Sweetie! I saw the title of this thread, and then I clicked on your picture ... you sure are cute! I wonder why you were wandering in the street especially 15 miles away from home. We will have to see. If I was there I'd do like Hansel and Gretel and drop enough crumbs for ev-fur-rybody!

Sandie, you are the best! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:!

Lilith Cherry
01-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Now I know I babysit a lot! I took one look at Sweetie and started to sing "One of these dogs is not like the other ones, one of these dogs is not the same!" from Sesame Street:rolleyes:

She is cute and I do hope her owners call you very soon Sandie. Thanks for being so kind and rescueing her!:)

krazyaboutkatz
01-07-2011, 02:28 AM
She's very lucky that you found her and took her in and she sure looks happy in your home.:)

Hopefully her owners can be contacted soon. My guess is that they are away and some one is taking care of her while they're gone and she got loose and ran away. I had this same thing happen to me when I was dog sitting many years ago. The dog dug itself out of the fenced in backyard and when I went to feed her she was gone. There was a message from a woman on the owners phone saying that she had my dog. I called the lady and went to go get her. Luckily she had a tag on with her owners phone number on it. She managed to cross some railroad tracks and then cross a busy street. I was very glad that some one found her and could get in contact with me. Good luck.:)

MonicanHonda
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
^.^ She's lucky she found you! :)

Freedom
01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Her name is Misty.

A few years back, Mr. & Mrs. "B" had Princess who is now age 14. I'm not sure if they got Misty, or is she is Princess's daughter. Anyway, Misty constantly attacked Princess, shred her ear. So they gave Misty to their grandson, who gave her to some people he knew, who wanted her. At the time, Mr. B mixed up the rabies tags, so Misty has Princess's tag.

The vet office kept leaving messages that someone found "Princess." Since they were looking at Princess, they ignored the messages. Then this morning, Mrs. B remembered Misty and figured out that must be the one they are calling about. She called the vet, and then me.

Mrs. B never knew who her grandson gave Misty to. He works 3d shift and sleeps during the day, so she won't call him till later today. Then he has to track down the folks he gave her to. :rolleyes: These people have had Misty over 2 years, the vet rabies tag is from 2006, and they never bothered to put on their own ID tag. And no, they never called the animal shelter about her missing, either.

So Mrs. B said I will have to hold on to her until tomorrow.

Misty is food possessive, toy possessive and bed possessive. I know 5 bichons who will be VERY glad to see her leave!

I plan to put her in a crate to sleep tonight, so we can all relax a bit.

kaycountrygal
01-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I've been checking back on & off all day. WOW! I'm glad to see you had contact with someone who knows Misty. I HOPE her owner is good to her. S/he should have put on her current rabies tag or something to ID her. It's too bad she is possessive about everything. I was sort of hoping she would end up with you because I'm sure you are very good and responsible with your pets. I feel sorry for the little chi & wonder what made her the way she is & how she ended up in your street. Good Luck to all involved. Kay in NC Fri Jan 7 at 4:19pm

lvpets2002
01-07-2011, 03:32 PM
:love: She looks like a Fiesty wittle buger.. Yes she does have some long toe nails.. I am with you Sandy on triming.. Lucky me that my outside dogs digg so much that they keep their toes nails trimed down.. Now my cats are very easy & I trim them often..

Well Good Luck & thanks for taking this baby in your home.. Huggss

cassiesmom
01-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, hi, Misty! She was rehomed twice... that explains the mystery of why her ID tags linked to a phone number 15 miles away. How old do you think she is? It doesn't seem like her current owner is taking very good care of her, given the fact that she was found wandering and also her long nails. If you don't hear from her current owner, maybe this will be an opportunity to go to a home where she will be loved, cared about, get regular mani/pedis and not get out wandering.

Hang in there, Bichons... it sounds like your guest will be going home within the next day or two.

:love:
elyse

krazyaboutkatz
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Well I'm glad that the owner mystery part is solved. Now hopefully you'll be able to talk to the current owners very soon.:) Hopefully she is up to date with her rabies and has new tags that just weren't put on her. If her current owners don't want her back then hopefully you'll be able to find a wonderful caring and loving new forever home for her. Good luck.:)

Karen
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Oh, also, if her nails are long because they are nervous about cutting them, you can tell them shining a flashlight underneath the nail pointed up makes it easier to see the quick in black nails. Miss Hoppy's nails were black, and we were so glad when she decided to trim her own nails!

Daisy and Delilah
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Awwwww....she's adorable, Sandie!! You are such a great person for taking her in. She sounds like a typical Chi.:) I hope she gets to go home soon and the owners take better care of her.

Freedom
01-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Mr. B is on his way over to pick Misty up. The folks who have had her for about 3 years don't want her anymore, so they just let her out!

Mrs. B is worried that Misty will again attack her older Chi who is now age 14. From what I've seen here, that is likely as Misty is VERY jealous. She will do best in a home as an only child. She is only 4 to 5years old, and has not been spayed. I've shared her story with a number of folks I know, so with luck she will land in a good place.

Husky_mom
01-08-2011, 12:29 PM
wow!.. poor baby.. hopefully she´ll now have a home where she´s loved and not thrown out

kaycountrygal
01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Sat, Jan 8 2011.
Oh me, The story of Misty makes me sad...poor little dog thrown away. My litle chi mix (chi rat) is so sweet. I just cant imagine a chi being jealous & possessive. I do hope Mr. B doesnt take her to an animal shelter & she ends up being put to sleep. I also wonder if she is pregnant?? Imagine turning out a little dog like that... so cruel imo.

Thank you so much for taking Misty into your home for awhile & locating people who know her. I totally agree; she should be the only dog in the house & prob should not even have a cat in the house. I hope she finds a good home. Kay in NC

lute
01-08-2011, 01:51 PM
WOW! Who could just throw this cutie out?!!? Stupid people! I'm so glad you found her and took the effort to find her rightful SAFE home! Good job!

Freedom
01-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Sat, Jan 8 2011.I do hope Mr. B doesnt take her to an animal shelter & she ends up being put to sleep. I also wonder if she is pregnant??

No no, Mr. B came w/ his son and grandson. They said if they keep her, they have to get her spayed. Misty remembered them and was SO wiggly! :D

cassiesmom
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Mr. B is on his way over to pick Misty up. The folks who have had her for about 3 years don't want her anymore, so they just let her out!
GRRR! Shame on them!

She will do best in a home as an only child. She is only 4 to 5 years old, and has not been spayed. I've shared her story with a number of folks I know, so with luck she will land in a good place.

But that's not good, correct? Doesn't that place the dog at risk for other health issues later in life if she has not been spayed? If she isn't going to have puppies why would you not spay her? Hopefully she will go to another home where she will be an only dog, have her health looked after and for goodness sake, where she will wear a correct I.D. tag! Bless you, Freedom for looking after her these couple of days!

Freedom
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, the "other folk" were supposed to have her spayed. What mix up.
I wish Misty well, and hope she settles in a good place for a long happy life.

krazyaboutkatz
01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I had a bad feeling that her new owners just didn't want her any more.:( I'm so glad that you found her and took her in. Now hopefully she'll get spayed and have a much better life with a family that will love her.:) I would also think that once she's spayed that this might calm her down a bit.

wolf_Q
01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
I work at a pet store...I'm pretty sure the other day somebody abandoned a chi mix in the store. One of my co-workers looked over and the dog was in the corner wandering around with no owner in site. He had a collar but no tags. She went and put a leash around the dog and it was very fear aggressive, jumping up and biting at her. They took the dog around the store for a while and asked every person in there if it was theirs...nobody claimed him so they called animal control. :( For how fearful the dog was I highly doubt the dog just wandered in there on his own, somebody dumped him. Poor pup, sounds the same situation with the dog you found. My theory is they didn't want to take this dog to the shelter because you have to pay to turn in a dog so they just dropped him there. :rolleyes: If the dog wasn't so aggressive (nobody could get near him, he meant blood too) I bet somebody would have taken him home and tried to find a new home. I guess its better than being hit by a car at least, the store I work at is near a very busy road. :/

Freedom
01-09-2011, 09:09 AM
That is so sad. With the right owner, there is a good chance that poo chi could be brought around.

Daisy and Delilah
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Why can't everyone be like Sandie?? What is wrong with people??!! Thanks again, Sandie. I hope this little baby ends up spayed and in a wonderful home.