PDA

View Full Version : Can you help with a name for my courtyard

carole
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Now one might think it strange wanting a name for my courtyard but i do, lol, we have had just grass out the side ranchslider as long as i have been here ,over 27 yrs, and now i have a courtyard, hubby has been cobblestoning it over the holidays, it was my belated birthday present, we were fortunate enough to be given the cobblestones from my sister, otherwise we just would never have been able to afford it.

It is small and not finished yet as you can see by the pics, there will be white pebble gardens where you see grass at the moment, and wood edging along the sides and a fence for privacy each side of the courtyard.

And as time goes on and when i can i will add little features, i have the two solar lights ,i just bought and hope to get two more and a new tropical impatient plant, a little hebe, the grass you see, is actually cat grass, however only my Nikki eats it, it has special nutrients in it for cats, and i grew it from a small baby plant .

Excuse the fence, i got half way there, it needs a good paint, or we may cover it with a bamboo type product, we shall see.

It is a dream come true for me, i have never had anywhere that is private her to sit and enjoy the summer and winter sun, and the cats just love it, they all come and sit with us when we are out there.

So i want you to put your thinking caps on and come up with a catchy name, something that is to do with my name carole and the cats, or my cottage is called stoneyhill cottage, which is after my grandfathers farm in scotland so we could go with that i guess, but anyhow your ideas would be much appreciated, i know how clever you all are , thanks.

Ps I actually have really nice comfy chairs from the original outdoor set my parents gave us, the cats have them in the shelter, lol, i decided they were going to be too hard to clean up and expensive to do, so just went and bought the plastic chairs, they are low maintenance and cheap to replace when needed, so the cats rule again lol.

Freedom
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
So i want you to put your thinking caps on and come up with a catchy name, something that is to do with my name carole and the cats, or my cottage is called stoneyhill cottage, which is after my grandfathers farm in scotland so we could go with that i guess, but anyhow your ideas would be much appreciated, i know how clever you all are , thanks.

The photos are lovely, you shall enjoy that space!

Not fair, Nikki is the only one you name, and they aren't listed in your siggy!

Seeing as you are in NZ, and a proud Kiwi, first I looked up "stony hill" in the Maori dictionary: Taumata = summit, top of a hill, resting place (on a hill), level, grade.

Next, I found Taru = grass, small vegetation

One of the words for cat = Tori.

Funny how they are all starting with "t" isn't it?!

Then I thought of "Nikki's Way" or Carole's Way. Couldn't find "way" as a noun, so I used road and got "rori." So Nikki's Rori perhaps?

Finally I tried "path" and "ara" means: (noun) way, path, lane, passageway, track, course.

Nikki's Ara?

:D

Karen
01-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Carole's Cozy Corner, or just Cozy Corner? Or Cuddlecat Corner?

carole
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks Karen and Freedom, my word Freedom you sure have been doing your homework, i probably would not go with a maori name as i am european, but i thank you for the suggestion, sorry i assume everyone just knows my furbabies by now, they are Nikkita,Ellie-mae and Lexie, so i cannot favour Nikki , now can i? lol.

Keep coming with the suggestions,my brain just cannot come up with anything, it is a special place for me and the cats, and my darling Ash is buried there under the bush,by the table, i just ordered a little plaque for him like the middle one in this pic i have attached but in gold and black, they are only plastic, but uv treated and so look metallic, however today it arrived, with the spelling wrong, don't know how they did that,spelt is Ashe ,not Ash, as i directed,so hopefully can get it sorted.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't have any name ideas, but I just wanted to say that your courtyard looks very inviting and comfortable!

gini
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Carole's Peaceful Patio?

And it seems just that - a place for some peace and quiet and a glass
of iced tea - or perhaps to read a book.

You have done a great job on it.

Pinot's Mom
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Carole, I can only suggest a manner of naming, as we did with our house. We built this house, and were here for the whole process. The house is built with a steep hill (or "ridge") behind that falls into the forest.

When we moved in there were MANY spiders sharing our space. We'd go out the door in the morning only to run into webs constantly. There were also more than we were used to inside for the first 6 months to a year, although that's no longer the case.

So, when we named the house, we took the co-habitants (and an interesting characteristic), "Spider", and the most obvious characteristic, "Ridge", and so named the house. Spider Ridge; it fit. That is also the name we use on the labels of the wine we make.

Is there an interesting or special character to the courtyard (animal, floral, native plant, or the cats)? Is there also a unique land feature to your property (mountain, lake, prairie, etc.)? Try combining these. Just a thought. Let us know! :)

carole
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Hmm Pinots mom, i don't think there is anything very unique about where i live sadly,we do have redwood across the road, so maybe redwood courtyard,hmm not sure i like it.

Thanks pembroke corgi, it is modest, but it is just what i want, not finished yet, so when it is all done, it should look a whole lot nicer, we were out last night on the swing seat, in the cool of the early evening, and yes there were three gorgeous kitties with us, even lexie who stays indoors mostly was there, they just love it out there.

By the way pembroke corgi is that a picture of your daughter in your siggy, because if so she is simply gorgeous, what a cutie patootie.:)

I might look up some gaelic names, and meanings, as i am scottish Would be appropriate.

Karen
01-07-2011, 03:12 PM
What's the place name for where you were born? You courtyard could be "Example" South ....

carole
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I was born in Ellon, which is in aberdeenshire, near Inverurie,not sure either of those places really have that catchy phrase i am looking for, but thanks for the suggestion, i could not find anything gaelic with my name or to do with the cats or courtyard, anyone can help let me know ,cheers.

Freedom
01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Clowder Nap

Clowder, as you may know, is the term for a group of cats. (Herd of sheep, gaggle of geese)

Nap is a play on the word Gap, used to indicate the passage through a mountain range.

When you were describing the evening, it occurred to me that the cats may use it even more than YOU do -- you will be back and forth to clear dishes, get a drink, and it sounds like THEY aren't moving! He he heee

Marigold2
01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
It's lovely................. How about Hampton Court?

Pinot's Mom
01-08-2011, 07:31 PM
How about Cait Sidhe?
Cait - cat in Irish and Scottish Gaelic
Sidhe - a name for "otherwordly beings" (Irish Gaelic) or Sith (Scottish Gaelic)

carole
01-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Hmm they are all pretty darn cute names so far, i am kind of going with Pinots Mom suggestion at the moment, being the scottish gaelic, it really appeals,now i wonder how on earth does one pronounce it, i should learn that shouldn't I ? actually i would love to be fluent in gaelic,maybe that is something for me to think about this year thanks, but keep those ideas coming,bit undecided as yet, but going with cait Sith so far.

Taz_Zoee
01-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Just looking it up online Cait Sith would be pronounce Kate (like the name) and Sith just as it looks. Not sure how to write that one out any other way. The "i" is the same as in my name, Cindy. :)

cassiesmom
01-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm terrible with naming, Carole; but I just wanted to say what a lovely courtyard you have!

carole
01-08-2011, 08:35 PM
thanks for that, you know since it is pronounced kate, even though it means cat, that is kinda of special, my aunt kate died sadly by taking her own life about five years ago, it could be like in memory of her too, so maybe it is the one.

carole
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
thank you, i will post a pic when it is all complete, we got the garden edging yesterday and i just sold my daughters old school uniform for 50 dollars so that will pay for the rest of the garden edging, i must do something about either finish painting over that brown fence or covering it, it looks horrible, and then i will gradually add my nick nacks and extra solar lighting.,and my white pebble gardens.

I had this old ornament that i gave my daughter when she was young, it is ceramic, and is a cat in a hammock, so it has a found a new home, in the courtyard.

Last night hubby and i were sitting on the swing seat in the cool of the evening, it was dark, we had the citronella candle on the table, and the fairy lights along the house side wall, and we put the outside light on which shines on the end only of the courtyard and it was really nice, quite romantic really.

It is the simple pleasures in life that mean so much,(it is not flash,just simple and modest, but just what i want),not that i would mind a spa pool plonked at the end of the courtyard, maybe one day, would be great to soak away those aches and pains of mine, have to win the lottery for that one lol, the kitties were sitting at the door looking out , wondering why they could not join us, but no it was time for them to be safely inside for the night, much to their disgust, they gave up in the end, and when we went inside they were at either end of the couch,and lexie was in her house.

I have seen so many things i want for my courtyard, some outdoor art work done on corrugated iron, i just have to be careful i don't over do it, i am not one for too many things and that crowded look.

I will have to investigate getting a sign made up once i am certain of the name but so far it is cait sith.:)

Pinot's Mom
01-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm so glad I could help with the naming! Just to further solidify it; you mentioned "fairy lights" - the other definition of Sith is a fairy being. I think we have something here. ;)

phesina
01-09-2011, 02:42 PM
CAIT SITH - I like it!

Your courtyard sounds so lovely, Carole. And you will give it the perfect name. You and those you love will enjoy it for years!

carole
01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Yes well not 100 per cent sure yet, i could just put welcome in gaelic which is Failte, i found this awesome site that teaches you how to learn gaelic, it teaches you how to pronounce it, it is very hard, especially for an oldie like me to learn, but interesting, i am going to give it a go, all free, just my failing memory makes it hard to remember what i have learn't, ah well all in good fun,it is a most unusual language for sure, i just found out my maiden name in gaelic means Island.

finn's mom
01-10-2011, 01:19 AM
I haven't read all the posts, yet...but what about NEL's or Nel's? Those are your cat's initials. :) Anyway...I think it's super sweet, and will read the posts to see if you've already named it!

carole
01-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Kari that is pretty smart, never thought of that one, however it needs to have me in it too,NELCS,does not quite have the same ring to it, i am going with the gaelic at the moment, but still not quite decided, might just have the welcome sign in gaelic yet, decisions, decisions, lol, then i will have to find someone to make me a sign, and it will have to be cheap, wish i was one of those creative arty type people,.:D

phesina
01-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Carole, do you know if there is a Gaelic version of your name "Carole"?

I just did some looking around on line. The closest I could come up with (without spending hours searching zillions of web sites, many of which you have to subscribe to) were these tidbits on this page: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Carol_in_Gaelic:

In Irish it's Caral

and

What is the gaelic pronunciation of carol?
Carol? A Christmas carol? carúl Nollag. A female name? There is no Gaelic form.

I couldn't get anything when I tried changing Carol_ in the URL to Carole_ .

carole
01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
yes Phesina i found the same info,unfortunate there is no gaelic version of my name, ah well, still searching,cait sith is still an option though as is the welcome in gaelic.

finn's mom
01-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I can't wait to see when you make your sign! :) You could also just put your name in front of it...Carole's Nel...I love your little spot! It's important to have that somewhere!