PDA

View Full Version : hospital visit - again Update #27

Scooter's Mom
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I just spent pretty much the last 4 days in the hospital... if you count Sunday at the ER.

I have a horrible kidney infection. Plus, we've discovered I'm diabetic. Lots of changes being made. *sigh*
It's scary but doable...

Anyone have advice for me?

Freedom
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Hugs to you, Crystal!

Find and take a DOE class - Diabetes Outpatient Education. Have your husband attend with you. Insurance should cover it.

Take your meds, you will feel lots better once the kidney infection is healing, hang in there.

Catty1
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
HUGS. I have no advice except what Freedom said. :love::love:

Scooter's Mom
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
It's a huge shock.
The only people I have known personally, very well, with diabetes... well, they're both gone because of the disease. I'm pretty frightened.

Freedom
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
That is why you need to LEARN about the disease. It CAN be controlled, and you can learn how to do that. It is a steep learning curve, at least it was for me, as I had never been taught anything about foods.

Nicole Johnson, Miss America 1999, diabetic. hosts "dLife" Sundays on CNBC 7:00 PM ET, 6:00 PM CT, 4:00 PM PT

She didn't think she would be Miss America - DONE!
Didn't think anyone would marry her - DONE!
Didn't think she could have a child - DONE!

http://www.dlife.com

kitten645
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
I was diagnosed boarder line diabetic years ago. Didn't surprise me as EVERY family member has it. I lost 60lbs and it's under control. You just have to get sick and tired of being sick and tired. That's the only diet I've known to work. I agree with educating yourself and learn to take care of yourself. Little things make a big difference. Don't eat anything white...sugar, flour, milk etc. Whole grains and nuts are great. I remember waking up one morning with my blood sugar so low I could barely crawl to the fridge to get a yogurt and shaking uncontrolably. It's scary but it's manageable which there are many diseases that aren't. Blood samples suck but it's the only way to see where you really are. Hugs to you. It sucks but it beats the alternative.

Freedom
01-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Are you back at work tomorrow?

If you are home, see if you can meet w/ nurse at your local senior center; she can direct you to places for info and support.

Here is a link to the American Diabetes Assoc:
http://www.diabetes.org/

Call them toll free 8:30 AM to 8 PM (eastern time) for support, they can help connect you up with support and training in your area: 1-800-DIABETES

As you gain information and knowledge, and learn how to control this, you will be less frightened.

Scooter's Mom
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
The dr. at the hospital asked me to stay off 'til Monday. I have an appointment with my family dr. on Saturday (they will be the ones to fill out my FMLA papers).

There are diabetes classes at a somewhat local hospital the 1st Tuesday of each month (I missed it this month) covered by insurance... I will try to make the next one (since insurance covers it!).

Guess I am "lucky" in the sense that I already have an endocrinologist from when I had my parathyroid tumor. I won't have to be a new patient, but can call and get in as an already established patient. Good thing - he is difficult to get in to see.

Grace
01-05-2011, 10:12 PM
It's a huge shock.
The only people I have known personally, very well, with diabetes... well, they're both gone because of the disease. I'm pretty frightened.

Are you Type 1 or Type 2?

I was diagnosed with T2 almost 6 years ago, and am still around to talk about it :) I control with diet, exercise and one medication, Metformin.

I agree with the others - go to classes, you're seeing an Endocrinologist which is great, get a meter and test, test, test. That's the only way you will know how different foods affect you. The motto for diabetics is YMMV - your mileage may vary. Each of us reacts differently to different foods - what might be bad for me, might not cause you any problems. So testing will help you in that respect.

I highly recommend this book - http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-First-Year/Gretchen-E-Becker/e/9781569242650/?itm=1&USRI=gretchen+e.+becker

Alysser
01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't have much advice either, but I am here if you need me. I know what it's like to be in and out of hospitals. Hope you get better soon :love: You're a trooper for sure!

Karen
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Don't be scared, I know plenty of people who have lived good, long lives with diabetes. Eduction is the key, avoiding starches like rice and potato at first until you get used to what your body can handle.

Prairie Purrs
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last March. Like Grace, I take metformin, watch my diet, and exercise. For me, exercise has been especially helpful. And everyone has already given you excellent advice--classes, testing, and learning as much as you can.

It's not a disease to take lightly, but it is manageable. My overall health is better now than it was before I developed diabetes, because now I'm motivated to take care of myself. I lost 70 pounds and went from being unable to stand for more than 15 minutes without horrible back pain to being able to walk/jog 3 miles in under 40 minutes. And I went from a size 22 to 8, which is kind of cool. :)

The potential complications are scary, and diet management is kind of a pain. But hang in there! It's something you can control.

DJFyrewolf36
01-06-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm a borderline type 2 diabetic too. The things that keep it under control for me are diet and exercise. I find that if I avoid sugary things and make sure I burn off all of the calories I consume (or most of them at least :o ) I stay pretty stable. Illness and infection make my blood sugar skyrocket, so I try to be extra careful when I am sick.

My mom is a type 1 diabetic (the more serious of the two types) and she has been diagnosed since 1995. She does have some complications because she had the disease for quite some time before her diagnosis but she is still doing pretty well. Diabetes is no longer the scary thing that it once was. There has been great strides in medical research and nutritional research that help so much with managing the disease.

*HUGS* The changes are hard (and sometimes I still cheat, diet wise :o) but you can do it!

Medusa
01-06-2011, 06:49 AM
I have no medical advice for you, Crystal, but I know that all will be well. Just keep saying "God in me knows what to do, how to do it and gets it done". Keep the faythe. :love:

momcat
01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm type 1 and on insulin. A great place to go for information and support is the website for the American Diabetes Association, that's how I found my endocrinologist. Diabetes is nothing to be afraid of. Most important is to find an endocrinologist you're comfortable with and can talk to.
A lot has changed regarding treatment. My insulin dose is based on carbohydrates. Ask your doctor for a good nutritionist for help with a workable meal plan, something you can live with and works into your lifestyle. And don't be afraid to ask questions.
There's a lot to learn about diabetes, I have a much easier time than my grandparents did with it. If you're feeling overwhelmed by it right now, that's okay - it goes with the territory.
Please, pm me anytime if you need some support or if there's anything I can do to help you out or if you just need to vent. I'm solidly on your side.

Scooter's Mom
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
thanks, everyone.

I know they said to have 3 meals and 2 snacks daily.
They said pre-breakfast my #'s should be between 70-130. It was 115 this morning so I think that was okay.

Each serving should be no more than 15 carbohydrates.
1 snack = 1 serving = 15 carbohydrates
1 meal = 3-4 servings = 45-60 carbohydrates

I picked up that much from them.
I got some things like yogurt and snack bars at their recommendation.

The one nurse said I could have just almost anything as long as it fell in those guidelines.

The hardest thing I think will be to have NO coke. I love coke.
I have 3-4 a week.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm still pretty scared about all these changes but hearing y'all and seeing your support is so helpful.

Cataholic
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Gosh, everyone has such helpful information for you, I couldn't add anything even if I knew anything. The only experience I have is from a client of mine. He controls it completely with diet and exercise. He was in his early 20s when the doctor said he had to go on insulin. I guess the benefits of being young is that you are out to prove everyone wrong. In a couple of months, he tested 'normal'.

Good luck, keep us posted, and for many of us (myself included) let this be a wake-up call to watch our diets and exercise!!!

Grace
01-06-2011, 07:31 PM
I have another thing to add. Even if you control with diet and exercise and Metformin, there will be times when you want to have something special - pizza, Thanksgiving dinner, a meal with lots of carbs.

I was on a diabetic forum and this subject came up. One of the gals told me about a med you can take for those once-in-a-blue-moon times. I got a prescription for Prandin. I take 0/5mg just before eating one of those high carb meals. The effect lasts for 3-4 hours, and it's really nice to be able to eat like I did in the past.

Just make sure you test before the meal and 2 hours after dinner when taking this.

Lilith Cherry
01-07-2011, 01:26 AM
I am type 1 on insulin and was diagnosed in 1992. I am still around and doing okay so don't get too depressed about it!:) You will soon get used to the idea and find what works for you - everyone is a little different. Definitely take an information class and ask for a referral to a dietician to get you on the right track. A small tip - if you use a blood monitor to test your levels, prick the sides of your fingers and not the pads - it will get less sore. As for the kidney infection, drink lots of diet cranberry juice as it really helps. Any other thing you want to know please ask anytime and I will try and help.

krazyaboutkatz
01-07-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you've been so sick and that you've been diagnosed with diabetes.:( You've already been given a lot of great advice. Just do as your doctors tell you and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.:)

Scooter's Mom
01-07-2011, 05:51 AM
The dr. at the ER told me returning to work Monday should be fine.
I can't do that without the paperwork filled out that HR wants from my family dr. Problem with that? The HR dept said on Tuesday that they'd get it sent out via overnight mail and I haven't received it! How am I supposed to get it taken to my dr. appointment tomorrow (sat am) if I don't have it? oh my gosh this is killing me. I was already pushing it by asking them to get it back to me so quickly. (without giving them 2 days to fill it out)

Work will NOT let me in the door without the papers and a release form.

this is a nightmare.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
The dr. at the ER told me returning to work Monday should be fine.
I can't do that without the paperwork filled out that HR wants from my family dr. Problem with that? The HR dept said on Tuesday that they'd get it sent out via overnight mail and I haven't received it! How am I supposed to get it taken to my dr. appointment tomorrow (sat am) if I don't have it? oh my gosh this is killing me. I was already pushing it by asking them to get it back to me so quickly. (without giving them 2 days to fill it out)

Work will NOT let me in the door without the papers and a release form.

this is a nightmare.

Is there anyway your HR dept could fax the paperwork directly to your doctor's office? My husband had to use FMLA time at his old job, and you're right, it's a nightmare.

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I don't have advice, but I it sounds like you've been given good advice by other members here.

Scooter's Mom
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I managed to get ahold of the HR department. They emailed the paperwork to me. yay!
Now I just have to get hubby to print it at work and remember to bring it home.

momcat
01-09-2011, 11:12 AM
There's one more thing to ask your doctor about, glucose tablets. They can be very helpful when your blood sugar goes low. They're not a substitute for your regular meal or snack but they will get your reading up until you can get to some food. I keep some at home, in my back-pack, and at my desk at work. You don't need a prescription for them and they can be found at just about every pharmacy.

Grace
01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
There's one more thing to ask your doctor about, glucose tablets. They can be very helpful when your blood sugar goes low. They're not a substitute for your regular meal or snack but they will get your reading up until you can get to some food. I keep some at home, in my back-pack, and at my desk at work. You don't need a prescription for them and they can be found at just about every pharmacy.

And they come in yummy flavors :)

gini
01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
I cannot add much except to encourage you. I have a good friend who is
65 and she has had type 1 diabetes since she was a teenager. She also has two children.

I have a family member who discovered she was a diabetic when she was 29. She is now 42 and she has a child. She watches her diet but does have treats from time to time. She also keeps the glucose tablets with her and around her house, just in case.

I hope you will use some of the great support you have been offered here, if you need it. There is nothing like having someone who has the disease to discuss all of your needs or fears with - they can calm your fears.

Scooter's Mom
01-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I am released to return to work on Wednesday 1/12.
I did get a prescription for Metformin, which will go to the pharmacy tomorrow.

The dr. at my family practice clinic said that she wants to see me again in 1 month. This first month she said to find an activity I enjoy (walking, biking, whatever) and do it for 10-15 minutes a day, maybe every other day... she said I may have to do it 2-3 weeks to get "comfortable" since I really don't exercise at all. When I'm feeling "comfortable" with it, increase it a few minutes. She said under no circumstance should I start out trying to do the impossible because I will not stick with it.

So... that's where I am at for now.

Thank you all so incredibly much for the support. I can't express my appreciation enough.